Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

On 9/28/2019 at 5:43 PM, Ruby Gillis said:

Guys, what do we think of Papadakis and Cizeron doing fame for their rhythm dance and spoken word for the free.  I just don't know...

Let me be honest and say I don't really like them. I honestly think the judges wanted them to win last year over Tess and Scott. Now, since they're gone I'm sure they're number one. 

The only people who are ruining figure skating are the judges. ISU needs to understand their the problem. 

Also, I cringe when I see some of the Eteri skaters and Aysa land their jobs. It looks like they're going to break their ankle. Lindsay Thorgen looks wonderful and her coach was so encouraging. 

• Love 1

So, the Knierems are still out there, competing.  I wonder...why? Yes, they have the artistic but they always screw up (one or the other or both) the jumps.  Jumping *successfully* at the exact same time is a very major part of pairs and has been so for decades.  

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

So, the Knierems are still out there, competing.  I wonder...why?

I think part of the reason they are still competing is because there is not a lot of competition in Pairs skating for the US teams.  As long as they stay relatively healthy, they are pretty much the top team.

Indeed, there are two spots at worlds this coming year is because the other US team (I forget their names) placed so well.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

So, the Knierems are still out there, competing.  I wonder...why? Yes, they have the artistic but they always screw up (one or the other or both) the jumps.  Jumping *successfully* at the exact same time is a very major part of pairs and has been so for decades.  

Right? They are never going to top the team bronze. They should have stopped then.

• Love 2

When an athlete or athletes seemingly past their prime seem determined to keep going anyways, I figure if they can say that a) their sport is still paying them well enough to cover their bills and b) they still really enjoy getting up and going to work in the morning most days, then I'll just leave them alone until they decide it doesn't make sense any more for them. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Does anyone know if the senior Grand Prix events will be on youtube like the junior ones were?

Maybe some, but NHK is super tight. Unless you have the NBC Sports Gold package, I don't think there will be any live coverage of that one. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, selkie said:

When an athlete or athletes seemingly past their prime seem determined to keep going anyways, I figure if they can say that a) their sport is still paying them well enough to cover their bills and b) they still really enjoy getting up and going to work in the morning most days, then I'll just leave them alone until they decide it doesn't make sense any more for them. 

Sure, they should keep doing what they want. I guess what i’m saying is that I don’t understand what they are getting out of it or what results they are hoping for at this point. If they want to keep going, they should. I just don’t understand why at this point.

• Love 1

If you are looking for a good figure skating podcast, I highly recommend Flutzes and Waxels. They have in depth coverage of all the figure skating events including the challengers and Junior Grand Prix. Good alternative to The Skating Lesson, a lot more focused. 

On 9/30/2019 at 9:30 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

The joke being that the music in question was Scheherazade. I'm guessing they've changed their mind since 1984 on that piece of music. 

This is definitely very funny. I am happy that they've changed their minds about what music can be "danced" or "not danced" to since then, though.

Dance is constantly evolving, and spoken word isn't a new concept in modern dance, strange as it might be in skating. I don't mind P/C's music choices (and I quite like the RD). I hope they inject more interesting bits and pieces of choreography into their programs though. They're the only current ID pair who can actually dance on the ice (the rest usually resort to theatrics - nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned, but it definitely helps to have people like P/C around, too).

From the juniors, I think Tomoe Kawabata is an incredible breath of fresh air. 

Edited by displayname
  • Love 1
On 9/28/2019 at 6:22 PM, doodlebug said:

I like the skating, the spoken word part didn't do much for me, seemed a bit pretentious. 

Yeah, I think that what was ultimately not doing it for me.  I didn't think the poem or the way the speaker delivered it was particularly engaging.

On 9/29/2019 at 5:21 AM, ML89 said:

The Fame RD is dull. Is that first part from the stage show?

I like the idea of a background Broadway number, but that one wasn't as dynamic as the opening to A Chorus Line or something like that.   

It seems like they are still working on the programs so they'll probably get faster and more intricate.  

On 10/1/2019 at 8:49 PM, annzeepark914 said:

So, the Knierems are still out there, competing.  I wonder...why? 

Does the USFS have anyone else who could help get spots for Worlds?  Too bad Alexa probably wouldn't be interested in switching partners.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ruby Gillis said:

Does the USFS have anyone else who could help get spots for Worlds?  Too bad Alexa probably wouldn't be interested in switching partners.

Cain/Leduc got the second spot back last year after the Knierims lost it the year before.

And it would be hilarious if she dropped Chris for a better partner!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, carrier76 said:

Do any of you pay for the NBC Gold package? If so, how do you watch? Is it really OnDemand, or do you have to watch live?

I do, and watching on demand has never been an issue for me. I prefer their feed a lot of the time, because there is no commentary for the ISU events.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Maybe some, but NHK is super tight. Unless you have the NBC Sports Gold package, I don't think there will be any live coverage of that one. 

And this is why figure skating is losing fans. Even Eurosport isn't showing skating. I hardly watch skating. I don't understand the ISU. Even gymnastics show competitions online. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Darknight said:

And this is why figure skating is losing fans. Even Eurosport isn't showing skating.

Eurosport is showing skating, per various reports.  They've been in the process of renegotiating.

There would never be much live TV coverage of NHK because it occurs nowhere near American TV viewing hours.

I don't understand the ISU. Even gymnastics show competitions online. 

It's not up to the ISU.  They sell the media rights to national media outlets, whose responsibility it becomes.  It's their biggest revenue source.

The Junior Grand Prix is on YouTube because the ISU had never sold the rights (minimal interest), and Ted Barton seized on it as something that the ISU could publicize since they still controlled it.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1
On 10/4/2019 at 7:09 AM, SeanC said:

It's not up to the ISU.  They sell the media rights to national media outlets, whose responsibility it becomes.  It's their biggest revenue source.

I'm sure what they actually meant is that they don't understand why the ISU can't have the same avenues as the FIG does when it comes to broadcasting. I'm sure the FIG also sells broadcasting rights to various nations' outlets. Yet it still sometimes broadcasts competitions. Where did the ISU go so very wrong that it can't do this? The answer's hardly simple.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:09 AM, SeanC said:

Eurosport is showing skating, per various reports.  They've been in the process of renegotiating.

OTOH, from what I've read, customer service has told some people that Eurosport is out. And could you tell me if the CBC is going to this season or not?

Let's not pretend the ISU isn't at fault with the way the sport's going, and for a multitude of reasons at that.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, displayname said:

I'm sure what they actually meant is that they don't understand why the ISU can't have the same avenues as the FIG does when it comes to broadcasting. I'm sure the FIG also sells broadcasting rights to various nations' outlets. Yet it still sometimes broadcasts competitions. Where did the ISU go so very wrong that it can't do this? The answer's hardly simple.

Most of the time, a contract for exclusive broadcasting rights is just that, a contract for exclusive broadcasting rights.  There'd be no reason why somebody paying for the exclusive right to show figure skating in a given jurisdiction would want the ISU running a rival free equivalent to that service.  Particularly since many of these contracts (that now seem to be up for renegotiation) presumably are old.

OTOH, from what I've read, customer service has told some people that Eurosport is out. And could you tell me if the CBC is going to this season or not?

Per Carol Lane, no.  It seems like there's a big shifting of the contractual rights going on behind the scenes at the moment.  Where it all ends up, we'll have to wait and see.

Let's not pretend the ISU isn't at fault with the way the sport's going, and for a multitude of reasons at that.

I'm by no means the biggest fan of the ISU, but if you're talking about the sport's current status in the USA, the ISU certainly can't be blamed for, e.g., the end of the late 1990s bubble of interest generated by Tonya Harding.  Or for what is probably the single biggest factor (aside from the general decline in live sports broadcasting that grows out of the overall decline of the old universe of scheduled TV viewing), namely, the lack of big American female stars after Sasha Cohen fumbled her way to an Olympic silver in 2006.

Indeed, that's one big reason why there's so much support from both the USFSA and the ISU for Alysa Liu.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1

Alina's new costume for her LP is amazing and she looks like she's really back in form. Lovely skating. 

She's such a stunning girl. I know they are so much more than their looks but she's a very beautiful girl. I reckon she'd be making squillions if she was from the US. 

😭😭😭 Rika

They are really stomping on her PCS. I love her skating and the way she moves and cannot imagine why she's got getting more PCS.

52 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Alina's new costume for her LP is amazing and she looks like she's really back in form. Lovely skating. 

She's such a stunning girl. I know they are so much more than their looks but she's a very beautiful girl. I reckon she'd be making squillions if she was from the US. 

😭😭😭 Rika

They are really stomping on her PCS. I love her skating and the way she moves and cannot imagine why she's got getting more PCS.

I'm impressed Alina kept her jumps after going through puberty.  Her program choreography is so much better this year.

I love Rika too!  I think they want more facial expression?  Her movement is beautiful though.  PCS is a joke.  

• Love 1

I find Rika to be a little too immature still in the way she moves. She should undoubtedly be ahead of Zagitova on PCS, however. And Satoko being 6 points behind Zagitova is a very unfunny joke.

The real offence is Trusova however. Zagitova at least deserves to be in the 60s with her PCS. I am not sure how Trusova's getting nearly 15 points more on PCS compared to where she should be in the LP. At least in the SP it is more understandable if she gets ~30 PCS.

On 9/22/2019 at 1:44 PM, Growsonwalls said:

Uh, so Virtue/Moir have officially retired and are dissolving their partnership after one last tour.

People commenting on the secret baby blog are finally calling out the blog for lying about the secret marriage and three kids:

http://dubemoir.blogspot.com/2019/09/thank-heaven.html

Screenshot 2019-09-22 13.44.24.png

Forget the baby blog; is anyone following the regular social media meltdown? Apparently there is some sort of fantasy that Scott wanted to marry Tessa, but she wanted more time, so he threw a temper tantrum and that’s how he ended up engaged to this other person. I will say this—it’s interesting that they’re retiring from ALL skating, not just competitive. Most ice dancing teams don’t go that route and continue to do show performances to make a living. I wonder if they think they’ll no longer be a draw when Scott has ended (most of) the romantic fan fiction around them by marrying someone else. Rumor has it this rock the rink tour wasn’t selling very well until they announced it was their last.

Edited by Jillibean
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, Jillibean said:

Forget the baby blog; is anyone following the regular social media meltdown? Apparently there is some sort of fantasy that Scott wanted to marry Tessa, but she wanted more time, so he threw a temper tantrum and that’s how he ended up engaged to this other person. I will say this—it’s interesting that they’re retiring from ALL skating, not just competitive. Most ice dancing teams don’t go that route and continue to do show performances to make a living. I wonder if they think they’ll no longer be a draw when Scott has ended (most of) the romantic fan fiction around them by marrying someone else. Rumor has it this rock the rink tour wasn’t selling very well until they announced it was their last.

I've seen some of the social media meltdowns. I must say that some of the stuff directed at Scott's fiance is creepy. People basically hate her because she's ... not Tessa. I think this fan-girling stuff is sort of juvenile usually but with V/M I think they sort of trolled and played along with it for so long that now that the fantasy is over it's like they no longer know what to do.

With that being said I'm also perfectly willing to believe that romantic partners of Tessa and Scott are not comfortable with the amount of romantic speculation that surrounds them whenever they skate together and so that's why the partnership is ending so abruptly.

Bradie's free program at the Japan Open. She's like a world away from the person who skated at the Olympics! Loved her last season! Very excited to follow her this season!

I cannot get on the Trusova train. The quads are impressive and I like watching jumps but I really wish I could find something else about her that I liked. She wasn't bad at test skates but I just can't find anything I enjoy about her skating in her last two events. She seems to be devoid of any performance ability. I will give it a few more goes and then I may just stop watching her.

Looks like she is set to win everything this year with those quads though! 

• Love 2

Just an amusing note, I searched Archive of Our Own for Scott/Tessa Real Person Fanfiction, and there are over 1500 stories. There are about 4900 Figure Skating RPF total works, so that means Scott/Tessa is around 30%. The second most popular pairing is Javier Fernández/Yuzuru Hanyu.

And this is just making me laugh.

And there are 120 Johnny Weir/Evan Lysacek stories. Bwhahaha. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
More info!
  • LOL 6
57 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just wonder where the motivation to train day after day comes from among all the ladies who don't have quads. Why bother showing up at a competition if you don't have quads or quints (or whatever 5 spin jumps are called)?  

As an aside, quints are purely theoretical and, as of now, have no assigned value under the IJS, so if somebody actually did one in competition they'd get 0 points for it (unless it was marked as an overrotated quad or something).

But to the main point, first, most skaters already know going into a competition that they're not likely to make the podium.  More importantly, there's only a couple of ladies' skaters doing quads, so at most competitions there are 2-3 podium spots for people who don't.  Any increase in the technical level of the sport will always leave some people behind.

• Love 3

People were posting videos of quints during the off-season (mostly juniors and novices). Hanyu's coaches I think said he's landed a 4-4 and a quint in harness -- I believe the ISU said that it would consider proposing a BV for quints if it saw people approaching them. The natural next step is the 4A, the 4-4, and the quint. Personally, I'd love for the 4-4 to be allowed in an SP. It could be exciting to see one being attempted with great quality.

17 hours ago, SeanC said:

As an aside, quints are purely theoretical and, as of now, have no assigned value under the IJS, so if somebody actually did one in competition they'd get 0 points for it (unless it was marked as an overrotated quad or something).

But to the main point, first, most skaters already know going into a competition that they're not likely to make the podium.  More importantly, there's only a couple of ladies' skaters doing quads, so at most competitions there are 2-3 podium spots for people who don't.  Any increase in the technical level of the sport will always leave some people behind.

Exactly.  Why do so many skaters from other countries who have absolutely no chance enter the Olympics or other international competitions?  Because, for most skaters, it is not about winning; it is about competing, learning new skills, polishing old skills, doing better than the last time.

I have attended the Olympics as a spectator, went to the Ladies Short in Lillehammer.  At least half of the young women competing wouldn't have made it out of sectionals in the US.  Some of them might not have even gotten that far.  There are 12 year olds skating at my local rink whose skills are comparable to some of the ladies from smaller countries.  There's a reason why many young American skaters switch to other countries based on their nationality.  It's because they know that they will have a tough go making it to the top as a US competitor, but can get the Olympic experience anyway if they compete for a small country.

I have a friend/coworker who is a gymnast, a very good one, but way too old (30 ish) and nowhere in the same category as the US team.  So, she competes for the Eurasian country where her parents were born.  Why?  Because she loves the sport, loves to compete, and it took her all the way to the last Olympics as a competitor.  She even raised most of the money herself since her home country is not wealthy.  She just finished competing in Stuttgart and had a blast and, by herself, has raised interest in her sport back  in her homeland which she is thrilled to have done.  She also is on a first name basis with Simone Biles.  What is not to love?

• Love 16
On 10/7/2019 at 1:44 PM, Growsonwalls said:

With that being said I'm also perfectly willing to believe that romantic partners of Tessa and Scott are not comfortable with the amount of romantic speculation that surrounds them whenever they skate together and so that's why the partnership is ending so abruptly.

I agree.  I do not think these two have ever been in an intimate relationship, but I do not see how their partners deal with them going to work and doing those romantic routines all day.  Most people would get jealous.  In addition, I think the sexy choreography might be more awkward now that Scott is married.

• Love 3

I don't quite get why people shipped V/M though. The fake smouldering is like any other fake smouldering from all the other ice dance or pairs partners. It didn't seem especially romantic or epic to me.

Do people ship Sui and Han as well? Or any of the other pairs teams? Is it just a thing to ship pairs and they were famous hence more shippers?

• Love 3
On 10/7/2019 at 12:04 AM, Ruby Gillis said:

I'm impressed Alina kept her jumps after going through puberty.  Her program choreography is so much better this year.

I love Rika too!  I think they want more facial expression?  Her movement is beautiful though.  PCS is a joke.  

As I've said before I love Rika but she stresses me out so much! I'm trying to decide if it's because she's my absolute favorite or if the Jekyll and Hyde 3A last season has scarred me 😂

On the bright side the stress she brings makes for great investment in all her competitions on my part!

57 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I don't quite get why people shipped V/M though. The fake smouldering is like any other fake smouldering from all the other ice dance or pairs partners. It didn't seem especially romantic or epic to me.

Do people ship Sui and Han as well? Or any of the other pairs teams? Is it just a thing to ship pairs and they were famous hence more shippers?

A few years ago, Virtue and Moir starred in a reality show.  The reality show portrayed them as being attracted to each other.  There were several scenes of Tessa acting jealous about Scott's then- girlfriend.  I guess they thought that the show was good promotion, but the romantic storylines were strange for people who claim they are just friends. I think it was all for show, but it was manipulative regarding their status.

I think the shipping started with that show.

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

The fake smouldering is like any other fake smouldering from all the other ice dance or pairs partners.

They really did do it in a much more charismatic way than everyone else they were competing against. Just even compare them with H/D.

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Do people ship Sui and Han as well?

They do. Although they've made it clear at this point they think of each others as siblings (and Wenjing jokes that Han is like a second dad to her).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

A few years ago, Virtue and Moir starred in a reality show.  The reality show portrayed them as being attracted to each other.  There were several scenes of Tessa acting jealous about Scott's then- girlfriend.  I guess they thought that the show was good promotion, but the romantic storylines were strange for people who claim they are just friends. I think it was all for show, but it was manipulative regarding their status.

I think the shipping started with that show.

The baby blog actually started in 2011 when the blogger became convinced Tessa was pregnant. Then there were articles like this all the way back in 2010:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/canada-cheers-for-virtue-and-moir-to-mix-business-with-pleasure/article4313442/

1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

The baby blog actually started in 2011 when the blogger became convinced Tessa was pregnant. Then there were articles like this all the way back in 2010:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/canada-cheers-for-virtue-and-moir-to-mix-business-with-pleasure/article4313442/

Yes, their reality show, which aired in 2014, was designed to play into the rumors that they were really attracted to one another, had a secret romance.  It focused on the 'will they or won't they?' speculation that was out there.  So, if Tessa and Scott now are uncomfortable performing together now that he is married; well, they were more than happy to play right into all the fanfic  to advance their careers, call attention to themselves back in the day.

I don't think the reality show caused all of the crazy speculation and baby blog nonsense, but I do believe they knew about it and deliberately chose to use that speculation to promote their show.  Doesn't speak well for either of them that they were willing to tease their most emotionally vulnerable fans.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Exactly.  Why do so many skaters from other countries who have absolutely no chance enter the Olympics or other international competitions?  Because, for most skaters, it is not about winning; it is about competing, learning new skills, polishing old skills, doing better than the last time.

I have attended the Olympics as a spectator, went to the Ladies Short in Lillehammer.  At least half of the young women competing wouldn't have made it out of sectionals in the US.  Some of them might not have even gotten that far.  There are 12 year olds skating at my local rink whose skills are comparable to some of the ladies from smaller countries.  There's a reason why many young American skaters switch to other countries based on their nationality.  It's because they know that they will have a tough go making it to the top as a US competitor, but can get the Olympic experience anyway if they compete for a small country.

I have a friend/coworker who is a gymnast, a very good one, but way too old (30 ish) and nowhere in the same category as the US team.  So, she competes for the Eurasian country where her parents were born.  Why?  Because she loves the sport, loves to compete, and it took her all the way to the last Olympics as a competitor.  She even raised most of the money herself since her home country is not wealthy.  She just finished competing in Stuttgart and had a blast and, by herself, has raised interest in her sport back  in her homeland which she is thrilled to have done.  She also is on a first name basis with Simone Biles.  What is not to love?

Who’s your friend?

4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Yes, their reality show, which aired in 2014, was designed to play into the rumors that they were really attracted to one another, had a secret romance.  It focused on the 'will they or won't they?' speculation that was out there.  So, if Tessa and Scott now are uncomfortable performing together now that he is married; well, they were more than happy to play right into all the fanfic  to advance their careers, call attention to themselves back in the day.

I don't think the reality show caused all of the crazy speculation and baby blog nonsense, but I do believe they knew about it and deliberately chose to use that speculation to promote their show.  Doesn't speak well for either of them that they were willing to tease their most emotionally vulnerable fans.

I have always found them nauseating. Good riddance.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I doubt the crazy blog posters entered into their calculations at all.  The romantic rumours about them were far more widespread than that, and they weren't based on anything more than them having great on-ice chemistry.

15 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Their on-ice chemistry was great in 2010; after that, it was forced and cloying, and I liked both of them (Scott and his whininess, especially) so much less.  

I agree, they were kind of a breath of fresh air initially, but then, it quickly became stale and false.  Scott's general piss-poor attitude when he didn't like his scores or when another team had the audacity to be competitive with them was also quite off-putting.  Even in their heyday, I never thought they were all that and a bag of chips while they seemed to feel that they should be untouchable. 

Of course, I saw Torvill and Dean skate in the Olympics in person, so I am biased as to where I think Virtue and Moir rank in the overall scheme of things.

17 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Who’s your friend?

Sorry, I don't feel comfortable sharing her name without her consent.

• Love 6

Kostornaia is competing this weekend and apparently landed a triple axel in practice.  I'm hoping for someone to beat Trusova this season.  Her jumps and spins are impressive, but the rest of her skating looks so labored.  I want skating to move back towards artistry. 

• Love 1
On 10/9/2019 at 9:40 AM, doodlebug said:

Yes. This is why I appreciate skaters from other countries and skaters who are just appreciate being there. It's about the experience for them and doing the best they can/ work with. 

Also, skating is expensive and countries like Japan and Russian fund their skaters. These skaters don't have to worry about paying for skating. They can just focus on skating. The USA we have resources but little funding. Some countries have no funding or resources but the skaters still go out there and skate. Every skater has a different goal and it's not all about winning. 

• Love 2

I wish Eteri would work on other skills with Trusova.  Because she will not do well if she can't land those quads.  If another skater has the same tech as her, judges start to look at skating skills and other things. Same with Liu and other jumping machines. If judges want a jumping competition then just get rid of artistry and PCS scores. 

Hanyu landing quints and a 4A scares me because he has already been injured. I just want him to stay healthy but he said he will land 4A and will not give up. Koylada is out of the GP due to surgery and he's one of my favorites. 

I watched Chen and his costume is ugly. I'm not a fan of most of the costumes this season. Rika said she needs to work on her PCS scores and not just quads. I wish the judges would just judge every skater fairly. Now you have Rika and others with good PCS scores working on their PCS when they don't  need to. All because  the judges can not judge properly. Instead yhey just hand out points like candy. I don't understand why jumps, spins, skating skills aren't weighed the same.  It would force skaters and coaches to work on everything and not just jumps. 

• Love 1