Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Is that the same TSL interview where Renee Roca comments on ice dance and the overscoring of "Vikki and Nikki?"

That was the ice dance episode. They had Todd Eldredge for the men’s episode and some Ukrainian guy for the ladies. Renee Roca has some interesting things to say but not opinionated enough for me. She thinks it was good for P/C to sit out this year. I guess we will see...

1 hour ago, healthnut said:

That was the ice dance episode. They had Todd Eldredge for the men’s episode and some Ukrainian guy for the ladies. Renee Roca has some interesting things to say but not opinionated enough for me. She thinks it was good for P/C to sit out this year. I guess we will see...

The Ukrainian guy is Gracie Gold's former coach. Has a rep as one of the best technical coaches aroumd.

14 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I have to admit ... I have never seen the Fanyus in action. I've heard about them but they don't seem crazier than the Yunabots, the Tessa-and-Scott-have-secret-babies-in-the-basement fans, or (this is really going back in time) the Sergei widows who stalked Ilia Kulik and harassed Katia nonstop. They just seem like younger fans who like a skater who in all fairness deserves the love. He's a very humble person and a brilliant skater. 

They're all built from the same crazy. I wonder how Tessa and Scott's kids are? Are they in Toronto with Scott at his new coaching gig, or with Tessa, going on modeling shoots? Or still in Grandma's basement?

Fanyu's are quite obsessive, and I worry for Nathan Chen. He's their current target. But what really annoys me and what I was so glad to miss this year, is the Pooh thing. How fair is it to the next skater to have to wait until the ice is cleared of hundreds of Pooh's. Or what if there's a piece of Pooh left on that ice that the ice cleaners miss? Hanyu isn't always the final skater. And it isn't a few Pooh's. It's literally HUNDREDS on the ice. 

• Love 8
(edited)
5 hours ago, healthnut said:

Renee Roca has some interesting things to say but not opinionated enough for me. 

I've found this to be an annoyingly recurring theme with former ice dancers turned commentators, even good ones (Tracy Wilson, Tanith Belbin for instance): they are just too damn measured in their comments.  If there’s one discipline where it would be helpful for a commentator to actually tell it like it is it’s ice dance where it’s so damn difficult to see where the mistakes happen.

28 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I worry for Nathan Chen. He's their current target. But what really annoys me and what I was so glad to miss this year, is the Pooh thing. How fair is it to the next skater to have to wait until the ice is cleared of hundreds of Pooh's. 

Quite right.  However, I remember being so impressed with how generous the fans in Saitama were to Chen.  There were certainly hoards of Fanyus present, as demonstrated by the Pooh Onslaught, but after the ice was cleared and Nathan came on and skated lights out, the audience was remarkably warm and supportive, even though he was clearly on the way to beating their man.  Lovely.

Edited by Harry24
Spell correct assumed “Belbin” surely must actually be “Belgian!"
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

They're all built from the same crazy. I wonder how Tessa and Scott's kids are? Are they in Toronto with Scott at his new coaching gig, or with Tessa, going on modeling shoots? Or still in Grandma's basement?

They think that Tessa;s new life in Vancouver is fake and she's really back at home taking care of their three kids. Or four. I lost count.😁

• LOL 3

Re: Hawayek & Baker?  I'm no expert. I can see that they're very talented ice dancers, strong skating skills, etc. But they look odd together.  He's just too small to be her partner. And that FD they choreographed for themselves? To me, it seemed overwrought (it's ice dance not ice gymnastics). When she's in a lift, I keep wondering how he's able to manage it all. So, maybe there are some judges who view them the same way. 

I didn’t think they should hold worlds, but I’m glad I was wrong about it being unsafe. They pulled it off!

But why on Earth would they hold World Team Trophy? I know this is becoming a bigger event now that there’s a team event in the Olympics, but in my opinion it’s not a big enough competition for people to fly across the world during a pandemic.

1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

I didn’t think they should hold worlds, but I’m glad I was wrong about it being unsafe. They pulled it off!

Honestly, I enjoyed it too.  But the problem is they won’t know if there are cases as a result until 7-10 days later, and whether the public knows or not will depend on how well known the person(s) who got the virus are, whether they are looking to publicize it, and whether or not media is pursuing the story.  What if 12 unknown staffers/hotel workers/lower level skaters/lesser known coaches come down with it at various levels of intensity?  Probably we’ll never know, and there will always be questions about where exactly they got it.  But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a spreader event.  It’s just very hard to identify those.  And then harder to publicize that they have happened.  And then harder still to get the public to understand that they’re happening all the time.  Sigh.

So IMO they really shouldn’t have held it.  But I blame Sweden for allowing it.  Australia and the city of Melbourne were very, VERY strict about what was going to be allowed in order to field the Australian tennis Open.  That’s their job.  IMO Sweden and Stockholm should have refused to have the championships unless the ISU abided by far stricter restrictions than it did.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Re: Hawayek & Baker?  I'm no expert. I can see that they're very talented ice dancers, strong skating skills, etc. But they look odd together.  He's just too small to be her partner. And that FD they choreographed for themselves? To me, it seemed overwrought (it's ice dance not ice gymnastics). When she's in a lift, I keep wondering how he's able to manage it all. So, maybe there are some judges who view them the same way. 

Jean-Luc has joked about his height and the fact they were expecting him to grow after Kaitlin did and he just didn’t. I think this year’s FD has been their strongest and they managed to find a way to work with their similar heights. Their scores at this years worlds really concern me though. I’m not sure the international judges are ever going to get behind them. It will be very interesting to see how Green/Parsons (who I believe have the highest ceiling) and Carreira/Ponomarenko do in the Grand Prix next year. Once, C/B and H/D inevitably retire after next year’s Olympics, I think the US will run with whoever they feel has the best chance to be the next medal contender. I’m just not sure that’s H/B.

• Love 1

I have to disagree. To me, they don't look any stranger than a tall man towering over a tiny woman. Less so, actually, and they have apparently said  they want to prove the lifts are possible despite their similar heights - which they have done. And there are certainly taller partners of similar height, which, technically, should have the same 'ratio' issues.

I haven't seen a lot of positive comments about their free dance, but I love it. I think it's beautiful and lyrical. I was so upset at how poorly they were scored all around. (And, agreeing with Harry24 from an earlier post - I do wish Dance commentators - well, I've only really heard Tannith  White - would elaborate much more.)

• Love 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, justmehere said:

I have to disagree. To me, they don't look any stranger than a tall man towering over a tiny woman. Less so, actually, and they have apparently said  they want to prove the lifts are possible despite their similar heights - which they have done. And there are certainly taller partners of similar height, which, technically, should have the same 'ratio' issues.

I haven't seen a lot of positive comments about their free dance, but I love it. I think it's beautiful and lyrical. I was so upset at how poorly they were scored all around. (And, agreeing with Harry24 from an earlier post - I do wish Dance commentators - well, I've only really heard Tannith  White - would elaborate much more.)

I love H/B’s free and their Bee Gees/SNF RD (even though I HATE that version of “You Should Be Dancing” from the musical). The Heart of Glass piece is just intriguing to me and I’d rather watch that than fake romance any day of the week.

Edited by ML89
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Honestly, I enjoyed it too.  But the problem is they won’t know if there are cases as a result until 7-10 days later, and whether the public knows or not will depend on how well known the person(s) who got the virus are, whether they are looking to publicize it, and whether or not media is pursuing the story.  What if 12 unknown staffers/hotel workers/lower level skaters/lesser known coaches come down with it at various levels of intensity?  Probably we’ll never know, and there will always be questions about where exactly they got it.  But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a spreader event.  It’s just very hard to identify those.  And then harder to publicize that they have happened.  And then harder still to get the public to understand that they’re happening all the time.  Sigh.

So IMO they really shouldn’t have held it.  But I blame Sweden for allowing it.  Australia and the city of Melbourne were very, VERY strict about what was going to be allowed in order to field the Australian tennis Open.  That’s their job.  IMO Sweden and Stockholm should have refused to have the championships unless the ISU abided by far stricter restrictions than it did.

I suppose this isn't too surprising given how Sweden has handled the pandemic so far.

• Love 1

I'm sure the older coaches were vaccinated and maybe even the skaters.  And if they were that concerned, they could have stayed home.  Given that the Grand Prix events were held without incident (well, except for Russia's), I'm not that worried.  Skate America had no problems and I heard that Sweden followed the US protocol.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 4/3/2021 at 7:04 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

I'm sure the older coaches were vaccinated and maybe even the skaters.  

The coaches may have been. Other than the Chinese team, it's unlikely any of the skaters were.

And if they were that concerned, they could have stayed home.

When Olympic spots are on the line?

• Love 2

And if they were that concerned, they could have stayed home.

Maybe they took comfort for the assurances that proper protocols would be followed.  Should they have withdrawn mid-event when they realized they weren't?  How would that impact their reputation with their federation and international judges? 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Quof said:

Maybe they took comfort for the assurances that proper protocols would be followed.  Should they have withdrawn mid-event when they realized they weren't?  How would that impact their reputation with their federation and international judges? 

I just offered that option if they were sick with anxiety, which I seriously doubt they were.  

And if they are that worried about their health, they wouldn't be hurling themselves across the ice at top speed and landing face first multiple times..  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

I just offered that option if they were sick with anxiety, which I seriously doubt they were.  

And if they are that worried about their health, they wouldn't be hurling themselves across the ice at top speed and landing face first multiple times..  

Tell that to the Fanyus who wailed that Yuzu risked his life to be at Worlds. 

• LOL 1

I've been watching what I missed of the competition on Peacock with the lovely Scottish commentator since I missed half of the performances on network TV and Comcast gives us Peacock as part of their overpriced cable package.  I noticed that the scoring block in the upper left corner doesn't display the skater's names or their country.  I miss the little colored boxes that helped the viewer keep track of elements instead of the descriptor letters/words above the points.  I miss the names since it's sometimes hard to keep track of who is skating, especially when seeing the first flights.  (There are so many)  I definitely don't miss Tara and Johnnie babbling their inane chatter and very much wonder who this Scottish gentleman is.  He gets so excited and seems to be so happy to be doing the commentary.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Linderhill said:

I definitely don't miss Tara and Johnnie babbling their inane chatter and very much wonder who this Scottish gentleman is.  He gets so excited and seems to be so happy to be doing the commentary.

Mark Hanretty

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, healthnut said:

Crazy skating news today. Eric Redford and Vanessa James (who was born in Canada and has been released by France) are teaming up. Pairs in Canada are LIVID as is Meaghan Duhamel. 

This is just a rumor at this point. The Skating Lesson apparently reported it in their WTT recap yesterday. 

I know they have the ear of Meagan Duhamel, but what would she know unless Eric and Vanessa plan to train with Bruno?

Edited by emmawoodhouse
3 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

This is just a rumor at this point. The Skating Lesson apparently reported it in their WTT recap yesterday. 

I know they have the ear of Meagan Duhamel, but what would she know unless Eric and Vanessa plan to train with Bruno?

The skating community is small and connected.  People talk.

It’s confirmed, at this point. It’s been the subject of BTS buzz for weeks, especially after Vanessa was released by the FFSG.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Why are they livid?

I don’t know if Meagan wanted to do shows/tour next year with Eric and that is no longer an option. 

Another reason is that they will most likely get the 2nd pair spot over Evelyn/Trent.

Kirsten Moore Towers has also been liking tweets supporting them and tweets bashing Vanessa/Eric. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Meagan posted a very emotional Instagram post, regarding the news. She's very raw about it. Considering this, I doubt Bruno would coach them, right?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN2tnyrrF4y/

"I personally, have felt betrayal in the worst of ways the past couple of years, this past year included. Personally and professionally. Sometimes it’s felt like a nightmare unraveling in front of my eyes.

Right now, betrayal has me feeling numb and shocked. But I know the time will pass and my scars will remind me that I did indeed survive my deepest wounds, as I have in the past. These scars remind me that the damage that life has inflicted on me, has left me stronger and more resilient.

Betrayal remains the worst kind of hurt. It means someone hurt you just so they themselves could feel better. It’s a tough pill to swallow. Anyone out there going through this pain, I hear you and I feel you. Just remember that one day, you will be better because of it." 

Alexa Knerim is one that "liked" the post.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 2

Well, I'm sorry that Meaghan's hurting, but I think this is good news for Canadian skating in general. Both Eric Radford and Vanessa James still look as though they have a couple of years of good skating in them, and if they can mesh their techniques in time, I'd call them a reasonable bet for top 5 at the Olympics, possibly even a medal. 

On the other hand, having them there is very good motivation for M/M and the younger teams to up their game and try to beat them at Canadians. 

• Love 5

I’m always so intrigued by why people keep going in this sport. He has 3 Olympic medals, including a gold. He was World Champion twice. He’s 36 years old. What are his goals here?

Honestly, I was hoping Vanessa’s career was over. There’s no way she didn’t know about what Morgan did.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

There’s no way she didn’t know about what Morgan did.

I'm not going to blame her for what's his face's disgusting actions.

I don't follow these people enough to remember them lol so this Meagan person was Eric's partner but what did she retire or something and then I guess expected him to retire as well and then he didn't?

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

did she retire or something and then I guess expected him to retire as well and then he didn't?

They retired together, after winning one world gold medal (or was it two? can't remember), and three Olympic medals (counting the team ones). Meaghan is angry because she has been deprived of the opportunity to skate professionally for a few years, and make some money to offset the expenses of amateur years, basically.  It was a reasonable expectation, and I don't blame her for being pissed off, especially if it wasn't discussed with her well in advance.

Edited by surreysmum
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

I was really surprised to read Meaghan's dramatic whine. You'd think Eric committed some kind of crime against her. I remember when Bourne/Kratz won Worlds. Shortly after, Victor decided to quit the team (& I think he moved overseas ??) Shae-lynn didn't whine (at least I never heard anything) and became a wonderful, talented choreographer. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I’m not going to blame her for what's his face's disgusting actions.

That’s not what I’m doing. She didn’t send the picture.

But her coaches pressured the girl to keep quiet because Vanessa and Morgan were going to the Olympics and had a shot at a medal. I absolutely blame Vanessa for going along with that.

2 hours ago, Jeddah said:But her coaches pressured the girl to keep quiet because Vanessa and Morgan were going to the Olympics and had a shot at a medal. I absolutely blame Vanessa for going along with that.

Yea, that’s not great lol. I feel like most people would though tbh. 

I remember when Bourne/Kratz won Worlds. Shortly after, Victor decided to quit the team (& I think he moved overseas ??) Shae-lynn didn't whine (at least I never heard anything) and became a wonderful, talented choreographer. 

In all fairness, Instagram and Twitter weren't around in 2003, their partnership definitely didn't end well. Good article about it here.

I certainly understand where Meaghan is coming from as it definitely affects her financially but it happens. Pretty sure Kyoka Ina and Jason Dungjen's partnership didn't end too well after she fractured his face. Heck, Charlie Bilodeau just up and retired last year without even telling his partner. 

• Love 3

There really is no guarantee that they will get an Olympic spot. He IS 36 years old. It will be interesting to see if their scores at Canadian Nationals seem inflated to boost them, or are deserving. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadian Fed bent over backwards to get them on the Olympic team. 

I remember watching John Baldwin the last couple years that he competed and thinking, "He looks too old for this," and feeling slightly creeped out. 

17 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Damn, like if he straight-up didn't tell her he was going to do this that's a dick move lol. But at the same time, I don't think he should just not go back out of some kind of loyalty to her.

This is basically how I feel about it. I think Eric should be allowed to do what he wants in his professional life. If he wants to try to make another Olympic team, then I would hope that the people in his life and any fans he's gained over the years would be supportive and wish him all the best. People were happy for and supportive of Meaghan when she decided that she wanted to have a family. I don't think either of them should be criticized because they no longer share the same goals. Agreed though that, as a friend, he should have given her a heads up. 

If true about KMT and other Canadian pair skaters having a problem with this then I think that's disappointing. IMO they just need to focus on training, putting together two great programs and being their best. If anything, Eric and Vanessa teaming up should give them more motivation to be at the top of their game. 

All this being said, I think it's going to be a pretty uphill battle for Eric and Vanessa. I just feel like they haven't given themselves enough time to really gel as a team. I'm definitely interested in seeing how well they do in their Grand Prix events. (Assuming they're assigned any.)

• Love 4