Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm dumbfounded. He sounds mentally ill. Biting? Throwing coffee? And the Kwans let him keep his job at their rink?

Karen filed for divorce in 2017 and I think he stopped coaching at Artesia in 2018, so it seems like the Kwans have distanced themselves from him for awhile now.

One story about Oppegard I know is true is when he was coaching at Ice Castle International in Lake Arrowhead back in the 90s. He was coaching a novice pair team and they were working on a throw. The girl kept falling and Peter told her that since she liked sitting on the ice so much, she could stay seated until the session was over. He made her sit on the ice for at least 15 minutes maybe more. People were there, parents, other skaters, a couple of other coaches, etc. It might not seem like a huge thing but I knew from that moment that he was a dick.

• Love 2

Figure skating was the final Jeopardy question on Wednesday!  No one got it right.  Darn! I would have gotten it right ... 

Category: Winter Sports

"The specific skill that gave this sport its name was eliminated from intl. competition after the 1990 world championships"

ANSWER:  Figure skating.  Contestants answered "curling," "skeleton," and something unintelligible.  

• Love 4
On 2/17/2021 at 8:28 AM, Avaleigh said:

China doesn't have a strong dance team but they're reasonably competitive in singles and are obviously super strong in pairs.

Wang & Liu were 4th at Four Continents last year behind C/B, G/P, and H/D, so while not podium contenders they are definitely stronger than Japan and you know that home team wants to get a team medal. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/18/2021 at 7:45 PM, Avaleigh said:

One story about Oppegard I know is true

I have another one.   I know someone who was on tour in one of the ice shows after Oppegard and Watson went pro.  My friend said both of them would beat the hell out of each other in the dressing rooms before shows. This was a very long time ago, but the detail I do remember was that Jill was the more aggressive of the two.

17 hours ago, Cherrio said:

I have another one.   I know someone who was on tour in one of the ice shows after Oppegard and Watson went pro.  My friend said both of them would beat the hell out of each other in the dressing rooms before shows. This was a very long time ago, but the detail I do remember was that Jill was the more aggressive of the two.

Good grief. I'm dumbfounded again. 

20 hours ago, Cherrio said:

Literally or figuratively beat the hell out of each other?  I mean, Jill Watson is a teeny person.

Either way, so profoundly effed up!

• Love 2

Looks like Tuktamysheva will be getting the third Russian ladies' spot at Worlds, which, with her luck, means Worlds will definitely be cancelled.

Conversely, the Russian Cup made the selection process for the second men's spot even messier than it was before rather than clarifying much of anything.

Mishina/Galliamov, my favourites, romp to claim the third pairs spot.

• Love 1
On 3/1/2021 at 4:28 PM, ML89 said:

So anyone know why Calalang and Johnson are out for "personal reasons not COVID"?

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/news/2021/3/1/figure-skating-ashley-cain-gribble-and-timothy-leduc-added-to-world-team.aspx

Each Nationals, when we know who's on the podium, I always feel *so bad* for the skaters who are only one or two placements away. And I imagine them going back to their rinks, doing whatever--practicing their programs "in case" and/or creating new programs...or deciding that this may be the to time to hang up their (at least competitive) skates. I wonder what's going on with C/J.

• Love 3

Did anyone watch the Russian Cup Final? The biggest surprise to me was Maiia Khromykh. I honestly thought she should have won. She isn't talked about much but I was glad to see her do well enough that she's on people's radar now. I don't think anyone predicted that she'd be on the podium let alone winning the long. 

I really felt for Kostornaia. A year ago she was arguably Russia's top female skater and now she won't even be going to worlds. She couldn't even get on the podium in a competition without Shcherbakova and Trusova. So much can change in a year and she's had some bad luck. I hope she gets her mojo back in time for nationals. 

Trusova seems like she's (slowly) improving with Evgeny but I feel like he might not be as good of a fit for Kostornaia. Obviously making another big change probably isn't a good move at this point with the Olympics being less than a year away, but if things were different (and Covid weren't a factor) I wonder how she'd do with Rafael? 

Kamila's triple axel is ridiculously good. It looks so effortless. I can't imagine the sort of pressure she's under. It's the first time I've seen her struggle like this in competition. That second fall was an absolute wipe out. Eteri usually has her resting bitch face on during a skater's performance not matter what's happening, but even she flinched after that fall. Even with Kamila having a difficult performance like that, I think that she's probably still considered the favorite for next year. She keeps improving both artistically and with the jumps. 

I'm really looking forward to finding out what everyone's music choices will be next year. Fingers crossed that the most overused warhorses and are kept to a minimum. 

I hope Amber chooses something upbeat and fun that plays to her personality. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Avaleigh said:

I'm really looking forward to finding out what everyone's music choices will be next year. Fingers crossed that the most overused warhorses and are kept to a minimum. 

I'll easily take the old warhorses if it means no more sad sack, esoteric "ballads". Then maybe more skaters can learn how to skate *with* their music instead of over it. Music has always been an important part of figure skating and the selection of it has, IMO, gone downhill since the advent of lyrics. And yet, the Shib Sibs' brilliant skating to Cold Play shows that it's the selection that's so important. The matching of  their twizzles with a certain section of the song deserved all those standing ovations. I know a lot of skaters can't afford the kind of top choreographers who can produce something like this so selecting a warhorse would be safer and give them something to skate with. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

I really felt for Kostornaia. A year ago she was arguably Russia's top female skater and now she won't even be going to worlds. She couldn't even get on the podium in a competition without Shcherbakova and Trusova. So much can change in a year and she's had some bad luck. I hope she gets her mojo back in time for nationals. 

She’s trying to go back to Eteri. It’s been very dramatic in the Russian figure skating world this week. She’s definitely left Plushenko. Sadly, I think her competitive career is probably over. Even if she got the triple axel back, there she doesn’t have a quad, she can’t compete with the other wizards at Sambo 70. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'll easily take the old warhorses if it means no more sad sack, esoteric "ballads". Then maybe more skaters can learn how to skate *with* their music instead of over it. Music has always been an important part of figure skating and the selection of it has, IMO, gone downhill since the advent of lyrics. And yet, the Shib Sibs' brilliant skating to Cold Play shows that it's the selection that's so important. The matching of  their twizzles with a certain section of the song deserved all those standing ovations. I know a lot of skaters can't afford the kind of top choreographers who can produce something like this so selecting a warhorse would be safer and give them something to skate with. 

I agree with your entire post. I'm not opposed to lyrics or current music and understand why they changed the rules. I liked when Mariah skated to Britney for example and agree with your example of the Shibs and Coldplay. 

Wrt warhorse music, there are some choices that I want put on the shelf for at least five years. If people want to go with classical music that's awesome, I'd just like for coaches and skaters to choose something that hasn't been done to death. There are so many options it's strange that the same 15 pieces are used over and over.

That being said, weirdly enough I actually feel a little more lenient if a top tier skater wants to do their version of a warhorse. It's like a prima ballerina finally getting to play Giselle or Coppélia. Swan Lake had been done to death when Ilinykh and Katsalapov used it for the Olympics but they totally made it their own. Same with Hanyu using Romeo and Juliet or Mao with Rachmaninoff's Concerto #2 or Zagitova with Don Quixote. I don't mind a super familiar piece so much if the skater is exceptional. 

• Love 3

I *loved* I/K's Black Swan program. The music came alive thanks to their drama on ice. Agree about the overusage of the same few classical pieces. I wish there were a committee or group of retired skaters who really know good classical and other types of instrumentals, & could recommend them to young skaters. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Amber gets more into ballads than probably any other current skater, so I kind of expect that to continue.

17 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

So, what do we think about Kostornaia returning to Eteri? She had a rough year, but you can't blame Plushenko for covid and her slow recovery, which hampered her training.

I think she's volatile and really wonder what the hell she was thinking.

To be clear I don't think either Eteri or Plushy are sunshine and rainbows but to flee Eteri suddenly and then now try and flee Plushy back to Eteri. This was a drama of her own making. 

I have just read (on the forums so lots of salt and all) that she's bound by contact to Plushy now and cannot go back to Eteri.

@Avaleigh I love Kamila!!! Love love love. Second only to my chosen child Rika!

This was an "experimental" competition for her to add the 4S and backload the 4T. I think she'll master it and she'll be damn scary when she does. But with a cute wee munchkin face🥰🥰🥰

• Love 2

After reading about Zimmerman ^^^^ I remembered one of the most memorable programs on ice, Stiegler/Zimmerman's Sorcerer's Apprentice. After all these years, I can recall how beautiful & interesting the choreography was (no skating just from jump to jump, element to element, etc).  I was just hoping Dick & Peggy would be quiet toward the end of the program for the grand finale movement.  We were recently discussing music used by today's skaters and this is one that should not be referred to as a war horse.  It's rarely used and obviously, needs really good choreography (who did this program?) Hmmm...another disappointing human in figure skating was their coach.  For some reason that I now can't remember, I preferred John's skating with Stephanie, and Kyoko's skating with Jason D (another great male pairs skater!)

11 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

That's crap. For covering up a sex abuse he should be banned from figure skating and in jail. But no let's just suspend the man who didn't report sex abuse and blamed the victim. Yes, that's exactly someone you want to continue in the sport.

Edited by andromeda331
oops not gymnastics
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That's crap. For covering up a sex abuse he should be banned from gymnastics and in jail. But no let's just suspend the man who didn't report sex abuse and blamed the victim. Yes, that's exactly someone you want to continue in the sport.

I agree. Same with Fontana. She had to know. So, what's happening with these three? Will they be allowed to return to FS in two years? I know this hurts their earning potential, but good God...*why"? I don't get it. Out the sicko from your team. He's poison.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

healthnut:

Why on EARTH isn't NBC posting the times of its live streaming skating (Peacock) or the more limited NBCSN schedule?  Geez... I only can find the US skating championships on its website.

In their defense, I think the schedule literally came out officially today. They've been putting the schedule on Peacock up a few days ahead of the event. Hopefully, they will keep Peacock with no commentary. 

18 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

After reading about Zimmerman ^^^^ I remembered one of the most memorable programs on ice, Stiegler/Zimmerman's Sorcerer's Apprentice. After all these years, I can recall how beautiful & interesting the choreography was (no skating just from jump to jump, element to element, etc).  I was just hoping Dick & Peggy would be quiet toward the end of the program for the grand finale movement.  We were recently discussing music used by today's skaters and this is one that should not be referred to as a war horse.  It's rarely used and obviously, needs really good choreography (who did this program?) Hmmm...another disappointing human in figure skating was their coach.  For some reason that I now can't remember, I preferred John's skating with Stephanie, and Kyoko's skating with Jason D (another great male pairs skater!)

Agreed that this was a strong program. I too am curious about who did the choreography. If I were to hazard a guess I'd say Irina Rodnina. If not her then maybe Angela Nikodinov's favorite coach Elena Tcherkasskaia. 

Regarding Zimmerman, it's kind of a joke that he was only given a two year suspension. It seems like Silvia isn't facing any real consequences either and they were both involved in trying to silence this. Not good. 

On 3/5/2021 at 5:31 PM, Mellowyellow said:

@Avaleigh I love Kamila!!! Love love love. Second only to my chosen child Rika!

This was an "experimental" competition for her to add the 4S and backload the 4T. I think she'll master it and she'll be damn scary when she does. But with a cute wee munchkin face🥰🥰🥰

What's really great about Kamila is that I see noticeable improvement from her in each competition. She's not just maintaining, she's getting better and better. This latest outing was admittedly very flawed but I think it's awesome that she used this opportunity to really push herself to do a more difficult program. She could have easily done a less challenging program but since she didn't have anything to lose, she went for it and tried a new element plus the backloaded 4T. 

Also, can I gush about that triple axel again? I was a little kid when Tonya and Midori were doing it and I remember with Tonya especially how it seemed like such a struggle. She was always off her axis but somehow she'd (occasionally) manage to do it in competition. Midori definitely had better technique on her axel but there were still times when it seemed labored. 

Kamila's triple axel OTOH looks light and effortless. Sometimes I feel like the Rippons and Tanos are overused but I think her arm accent on the 3A is perfect. I thought Aliona had the best triple axel I'd seen but this one is even more beautiful. 

• Love 2

The other thing with Zimmerman and Fontana is there's another guy referenced in the Brennan article who said absolutely awful things like telling the victims he'd get them a pizza if Cipres could send them pictures??? He's getting basically no punishment. I remember watching Zimmerman on Queer Eye and he seemed like a decent guy...shows you TV lies!

Edited by ML89
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ML89 said:

The other thing with Zimmerman and Fontana is there's another guy referenced in the Brennan article who said absolutely awful things like telling the victims he'd get them a pizza if Cipres could send them pictures??? He's getting basically no punishment. I remember watching Zimmerman on Queer Eye and he seemed like a decent guy...shows you TV lies!

I remember watching that episode of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and Zimmerman really impressed them.  And think Sylvia was on in the last few minutes when Z prepared a meal for her (I think it was even Italian).  They came off as such a nice, young couple. What the heck happened to them since then?

• Love 1

FYI: the Olympic channel is showing skating from previous games. Now here's an important question: which segment of the '06 ice dancing competition produced all the gobsmackin' drama? They're showing the 2006 Free Dance at 5:30 PM today. Something tells me it was the short dance, or whatever it was called in '06. I can't remember her name but she was Italian. Her unfortunate partner (Massimo?) stumbled and in their final pose, the expression on her face, as she stared at him, was terrifying!  Everyone felt sorry for the poor guy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

FYI: the Olympic channel is showing skating from previous games. Now here's an important question: which segment of the '06 ice dancing competition produced all the gobsmackin' drama? They're showing the 2006 Free Dance at 5:30 PM today. Something tells me it was the short dance, or whatever it was called in '06. I can't remember her name but she was Italian. Her unfortunate partner (Massimo?) stumbled and in their final pose, the expression on her face, as she stared at him, was terrifying!  Everyone felt sorry for the poor guy.

Lol, Barbara Fusar-Poli and the infamous death stare. IIRC that was a rough night for multiple teams not just Fusar-Poli and Margaglio.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

Lol, Barbara Fusar-Poli and the infamous death stare. IIRC that was a rough night for multiple teams not just Fusar-Poli and Margaglio.

Oh yeah... lots of stumbles, falls, and the worst was when one of the Canadian skaters was dropped by her partner (or she lost her grip on him during a spin).  Somehow they finished but I think she went to a hospital afterward. So it must have been the short dance. And, of course, the icing on the cake that night was the death stare. 

• Love 1

The 2006 Pairs also was a splat fest. Wasn't it the silver medalists that had a horrific fall (Zhang/Zhang). I remember that they actually stopped the music, it was so bad, but they resumed the skate. And still won the silver. I still don't get that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

The 2006 Pairs also was a splat fest. Wasn't it the silver medalists that had a horrific fall (Zhang/Zhang). I remember that they actually stopped the music, it was so bad, but they resumed the skate. And still won the silver. I still don't get that.

IMO they shouldn't have been allowed to continue. They had stopped skating for several minutes. I remember her slamming into that wall & wondering how could she continue

• Love 3

Well I just finished watching the Free Dance in Torino 2006. What a difference from today's looks & styles of ice dancing. A number of the costumes were scanty (esp the ones worn by Russian women)...or just messy looking compared with today's costumes. No vocals so no dreary ballads. I enjoyed watching Dobriasko/Vanagas from Lithuania who had returned to competitive skating after touring for a few years. They showed a scene from the Original Dance where Barbara was dropped by Maurizio as he stumbled, followed by her lengthy death glare. Belbin/Agosto looked so good. It was fun hearing Dick Button after all these years. He and Tracy were quiet during the best performances (so unlike the babbling done today). Heh...Dick mentioned that one team's skating "was exceedingly nice". I miss that guy!

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well I just finished watching the Free Dance in Torino 2006. What a difference from today's looks & styles of ice dancing. A number of the costumes were scanty (esp the ones worn by Russian women)...or just messy looking compared with today's costumes. No vocals so no dreary ballads.

Tanith Belbin’s costume that season in the Original Dance was sufficiently controversial that it led to rule changes regarding how much skin (or implied skin) you could have in a costume.

Vocals were allowed in ice dance at that point, and had been since 1998.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

The funny thing is that Barbara Fusar-Poli insisted afterwards that she was never mad at her partner at all.  The death glare was simply her reaction to the whole embarrassing mess.

• Love 3