Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Making a commitment and cancelling is worse then not making one. Everyone knows that EBR isn't going to be there so they are not shelling out tons of money to see her.

How would you feel if you shelled out $200 to see Cassidy and she canceled? Refunding those tickets are not easy. So there is the difference from not spending money to spending lots money.

The con I went to last year cost me close to $350 I'm not made of money, and had to budget myself for the next few months. (That was a con EBR did attend). I would've been pissed if an actor/actress I was going to see canceled because "filming" and I saw them hanging around in the town at a fashion show. I understand canceling for filming or family commitments. KC should be like EBR and stop saying she's going when she doesn't want to be there. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

My opinion is that fans of Katie Cassidy surely know she's been flakey about cons and if they're willing to shell out cash to see her with the knowledge that she might not show up, then I'm not going to cry about them losing their hard-earned money. Their eyes are open. 

My opinion about EBR is that she's not contractually required to do cons, so there's nothing wrong at all with her not making a commitment to go to one. And I'd rather her never go to another con than to commit to one and not show up or cancel at the last minute. 

Everybody wins!

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 8

Making a commitment and cancelling is worse then not making one. Everyone knows that EBR isn't going to be there so they are not shelling out tons of money to see her.

How would you feel if you shelled out $200 to see Cassidy and she canceled? Refunding those tickets are not easy. So there is the difference from not spending money to spending lots money.

The con I went to last year cost me close to $350 I'm not made of money, and had to budget myself for the next few months. (That was a con EBR did attend). I would've been pissed if an actor/actress I was going to see canceled because "filming" and I saw them hanging around in the town at a fashion show. I understand canceling for filming or family commitments. KC should be like EBR and stop saying she's going when she doesn't want to be there.

I've said how I would feel. I'm her fan regardless, I don't think the worst of her so I don't auto-assume she's cancelling to be selfish or horrible or however it is people are describing her.

Being a true fan of someone means you like them, the same way you are fans of EBR and you praise all she does and don't ever assume terrible things about her. We KC fans don't assume the worst about KC every time she says or does or doesn't do something. We know she's not the person folks make her out to be in the same way you hold EBR as the gold standard.

Edited by slayer2

Slayer2- how would you feel if you had bought tickets to the Dallas con, got a hotel room and plane tickets only for KC to cancel. Then the weekend of she tweets about being in the same city as the con (when the reason for not going as because she was filming the show) but doesn't make an appearance at the con. It looks bad on her, and if EBR did the same it would look bad on her as well.

• Love 7

KC' had an established fan base before Arrow and she is being disrespectful to the fans by promising herself to them and bailing out repeatedly. EBR is not setting an expectation and repeatedly disappointing them.

I'm not holding EBR to higher standard. When KC canceled for filming I believed her. Then I saw pictures of her at an award show in LA or a fashion show in Dallas during the time she was supposed to be "filming in Vancouver". 

Danai Gurira (Michonne from the Walking Dead) just canceled her third Chicago con appearance, because of that I know not to buy autograph or photo tickets for her. I believe her that she's filming but would be pissed if I see a pic of her at a restaurant in Chicago next week.  

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

Slayer2- how would you feel if you had bought tickets to the Dallas con, got a hotel room and plane tickets only for KC to cancel. Then the weekend of she tweets about being in the same city as the con (when the reason for not going as because she was filming the show) but doesn't make an appearance at the con. It looks bad on her, and if EBR did the same it would look bad on her as well.

It wouldn't bother me. First off I wouldn't go to a CON for one person so if she didn't show up it wouldn't factor that highly because (I'm assuming) other DC and Marvel (especially Marvel) people would be there as well or other CW shows and actors. I'm a massive comic book fan and CW stan so i'd just check out other things.

Honestly if I were in KC's shoes I'd have anxiety about CONs and may very well cancel last minute. The garbage people spew about her is absolutely disgusting (I've read some of it here sadly) people have no qualms getting into her family history, attacking her body, her voice, her fashion sense and often focus in on everything except that which I would deem to be relevant which is Laurel Lance. I wouldn't be gunning to join a panel with people like that in the audience to be honest. Not one bit.

I may be wrong but it certainly seems that most of the people who are upset about her cancelling right now are folks who haven't a good word for her and violently dislike her anyway so the concern rings false to me in that sense.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

It wouldn't bother me. First off I wouldn't go to a CON for one person so if she didn't show up it wouldn't factor that highly because (I'm assuming) other DC and Marvel (especially Marvel) people would be there as well or other CW shows and actors. I'm a massive comic book fan and CW stan so i'd just check out other things.

Honestly if I were in KC's shoes I'd have anxiety about CONs and may very well cancel last minute. The garbage people spew about her is absolutely disgusting (I've read some of it here sadly) people have no qualms getting into her family history, attacking her body, her voice, her fashion sense and often focus in on everything except that which I would deem to be relevant which is Laurel Lance. I wouldn't be gunning to join a panel with people like that in the audience to be honest. Not one bit.

I may be wrong but it certainly seems that most of the people who are upset about her cancelling right now are folks who haven't ever had a good word for her anyway so the concern rings false to me in that sense.

If that is the case then her easiest choice is to not schedule con appearances. No one is disappointed when she doesn't come because there was no expectation set.

• Love 3

Personally, I'm not at all upset by KC cancelling appearances.  Maybe it turns some of her casual fans against her, and they stop watching Arrow, stop tweeting about her, stop caring if she's on the show anymore.  I can't say that I really care if any of these actors do con appearances since I'll never be attending any of them, and I'm more interested in the characters they portray than the actual actors, anyways.         

• Love 6

Personally, I'm not at all upset by KC cancelling appearances. Maybe it turns some of her casual fans against her, and they stop watching Arrow, stop tweeting about her, stop caring if she's on the show anymore. I can't say that I really care if any of these actors do con appearances since I'll never be attending any of them, and I'm more interested in the characters they portray than the actual actors, anyways.

Me too. I don't have a desire to really meet these people. I like to follow them on Instagram and twitter to keep up and tweet my support. But I wouldn't have anything much to say to them face to face really.

• Love 1

I love going to Cons (when I can afford to go) to meet my favorite actor or director and see early screenings of shows and movies. I got to talk to EBR for awhile at the end of con because no one knew she was still there, we talked about Orphan Black and Game of Thrones, that was the highlight of that con for me, that and hugging Manu Bennett. I still have my Joss Whedon autograph and picture framed and hanging up on my wall from 2001.

If you don't go to cons, then yeah there would be nothing to get upset about. But those of us that do, we like getting to meet our favorite actors and spend a lot of money to do that. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

Gail Simone has been throwing some subtle shade at Arrow and DC Comics writing for BC lately. And look she called her Canary. Putting the color of the outfit in front of Canary doesn't make it different. So the Sara's the Canary and Laurel's Black Canary agruement doesn't mean anything to the woman that wrote one of the best versions of the BC.  

GAIL SIMONE
‏@GailSimone
It's not hard to write a great Canary. She kicks your ass, and helps you back up. She yells at a friend, then takes a bullet for them. Easy.
Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 11

I love going to Cons (when I can afford to go) to meet my favorite actor or director and see early screenings of shows and movies. I got to talk to EBR for awhile at the end of con because no one knew she was still there, we talked about Orphan Black and Game of Thrones, that was the highlight of that con for me, that and hugging Manu Bennett. I still have my Joss Whedon autograph and picture framed and hanging up on my wall from 2001.

If you don't go to cons, then yeah there would be nothing to get upset about. But those of us that do, we like getting to meet our favorite actors and spend a lot of money to do that.

I get the Joss Whedon/Winnie Holzman thing for sure. I would go to a CON to meet the behind the scenes folks like writers and producers and such but meeting the actors would give me anxiety. I don't really like meeting actors. Directors, writers, producers, musicians, music supervisors are a different ballgame for me.

I definitely see how it would be disappointing to miss out on meeting your favourite though. I think I'm just lamenting that those (that I noticed) who took issue with KC cancelling would never have gone for her anyways. I think it's like APinkNightmare[/] said, those who go for KC know what the score is. Although I have heard talk 'round these here watercoolers that no one really goes for KC anyhow so it's kind of moot.

Edited by slayer2

It's terrible, but the world we live in right now what a person does on social media reflects on them and their jobs, and their characters. I liked KC just fine before, and I enjoyed her in the movie she did with Selena Gomez (and the movie "Click"), but then I got into Arrow and saw what she chose to post on Twitter, her repeated cancelling of cons, and her less than stellar interviews and that's changed my opinion of her and in a way Laurel Lance. If an actress can't be bothered to follow through with her commitments to fans, why should I be bothered to care about her character?

• Love 5

City Cons usually only have maybe 6-10 actors appearing (which sometimes include wrestlers, the Green Power Ranger and the guy that played the Hulk in the old tv show), so cancellations do sting. It wasn't as big a issue when the Cons were much cheaper to attend and autographs and photos were free, now they cost anywhere from $40 to $100.

Most of my friends that watch the same shows don't talk about them much, that's why I come on here. It's fun to meet real people that love the shows as much I do. You have plenty of time to talk while you wait in line for hours. lol. I'm trying to find someone to go with me to meet Caity Lotz in March.

Edited by Sakura12

Slayer2 I think you do care about KC. You defend her as any actor or actress you like. It just shows in the way you post about her.

From the way you defend her I can actually think of things you would say face to face to her. But, that's just me.

Personally, I'm not at all upset by KC cancelling appearances.  Maybe it turns some of her casual fans against her, and they stop watching Arrow, stop tweeting about her, stop caring if she's on the show anymore.  I can't say that I really care if any of these actors do con appearances since I'll never be attending any of them, and I'm more interested in the characters they portray than the actual actors, anyways.         

Same here and this is coming from an autograph collector. The only thing of interest to me about cons would be the Q&A panels. Sure, it would be interesting to meet some of the actors but the autograph and photo op's prices are just insane most of the time and often do not represent the real value of the signature. I wouldn't mind it as much if people would at least get 5 minutes to talk to the actor they are shelling out the money for, but usually, you have to wait in line for hours and when it's finally your turn, it's over and done with in 30 seconds (maybe if you are lucky, you can drag it out for a minute or 2). Maybe others are happy with that type of mass processing, but I would like a more personal interaction if I have to pay between $40-$150 for the fun.

As an aside - I work with actors a bunch. Like most people, some are nice, some are not, some love fan attention, some not so much. But they are just people. We all make good and bad decisions and we all get praised and critiqued for them. I have found if I genuinely tell them I like their work, it makes them happy (of course.) I tend to stay out of the way most of the time, but sometimes, I can't help but say something. (Of course, it helps if you're at an awards show and everyone is in a good mood.)

In short, if you ever want to go to a con to meet someone you like, do it! Don't worry about being awkward. It's the fun part of being a fan. /end of PSA

• Love 5

I've been a con goer since 2003 - the first con I went to was following the end of Buffy when I thought the actors would not be doing cons for much longer.  I love them for the Q&As which can be quite fun.  Last year, I went to Fan Expo in Vancouver for the first time.  I live here so the only cost was for the ticket which I think was about $70 for the 3 days.  I also paid extra to have pictures with SA, MB, and Karl Urban.  Photo ops can be a mixed bag because with some it's exactly like shadow2008 described: 15 seconds of standing next to someone and a thank you.  With others...let me just say that I was weak at the knees after being hugged by Manu Bennett.  He smelt fantastic and made me a fan for life.  

Social media can be a minefield and there're lots of good reasons for celebrities to have someone else manage their on-line presence.  I am happy to put up with the occasional faux pas on SA's page because he puts a lot of time and effort into interacting with his fans.  The downside of it being his personally run page is that few if any will question the direction of the show or criticize an episode which means it tends to be a bit of an echo chamber.

• Love 12

What I don't get is why did you have to bring EBR into this? People are talking about A shirking a commitment, and you bring in B saying : "Well B doesn't even pretend to commit and then let people down"... I can't even respond to this because I don't know what the logic is here.

Not 100% certain but I think it qualifies as a Straw Man Argument.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Well, except the argument isn't even that EBR is doing the same thing...it's that EBR doesn't do cons at all, which isn't what the original posters said about KC.

You all know this site has an "ignore poster" feature, right?  I quite appreciate that feature.

• Love 3

You all know this site has an "ignore poster" feature, right?  I quite appreciate that feature.

Not jumping into the discussion here but I didn't know there was an 'ignore poster' feature. Where is it?

This April I'm going to the Calgary con. My first con ever! I'm hoping it will be fun!

Hey! I'll be there too! My second con, but it will be my first time seeing Stephen Amell. I'm just going to spend the next 2.5 months keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't cancel.

• Love 1

This April I'm going to the Calgary con. My first con ever! I'm hoping it will be fun!

It should be fun, all the Cons I've gone too were. It can be a little overwhelming but just remember you're among fellow fans.

Not 100% certain but I think it qualifies as a Straw Man Argument.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I think the fallacy is more Tu Quoque don't you think? 

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/presumption/tu-quoque/

Or a naturalistic fallacy?

An argument whose premises merely describe the way that the world is, but whose conclusion describes the way that the world ought to be, introduce a new term in the conclusion....

This argument moves from a statement of fact to a value judgement, and therefore commits the naturalistic fallacy. The argument’s premise simply describes the way that the world is, asserting that it is natural to feel envious. To describe the way that the world is, though, is to say nothing of the way that it ought to be. The argument’s conclusion, then, which is value judgement, cannot be supported by its premises.

1.  EBR does not sign up for cons and thus does not disappoint her fans

2. KC should not sign up for cons because when she cancels, she disappoints her fans.

(I miss debating.)

• Love 3

It's possible that EBR doesn't sign up for cons because she does know that there's a chance she will have to cancel due to filming. I know that when she, KC, and CL missed the first cast Q&A session at SDCC due to filming, she got the brunt of angry tweets from fans that weren't even at SDCC. Maybe she doesn't want to deal with that if she doesn't have to. And EBR does get a lot of tweets from people complaining that she doesn't do cons. People here might not complain about it, but every time one of her castmates announces a con appearance, she gets a bunch of tweets from fans complaining about why she's not going which is ridiculous in my opinion. It's her choice.

Edited by AnyoneButYou
  • Love 7
Arrow 15 hrs ·

Here's your exclusive FIRST LOOK at 4 official ‪#‎Arrow‬ Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures that will hit stores in May.

Tag 4 friends in the comments below for a chance to win 1 of 4 exclusive pre-released Arrow figures. Official Rules: http://bit.ly/ArrowFunko

10980757_525297514274952_320205849220953

https://www.facebook.com/CWArrow

Retweeted by Arrow Writers Room and Production Office...

Sally @asparkinyou  ·  17h 17 hours ago

This is so cute! [ credit: http://flash-smoak-and-arrows.tumblr.com/post/110919677789/goldilocks-and-the-three-vigilantes-for-you-my … ] @amellywood @EmilyBett @david_ramsey @ColtonLHaynes

B9wWgWPCQAEA1o0.jpg

https://twitter.com/arrowwriters

https://twitter.com/ArrowProdOffice

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 8