Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, kismet said:

If you're going to take your workout outside,  why not actually do outdoorsy things? 

EBR is impressive in her workouts. But just think this post needed more incorporation of the outdoors to be a more effective advertisement.

Yeah, it's "let's take this completely standard workout outdoors to make it less boring. (Maybe it's just me but I think gym workouts are sooooo boring.)  Even if it is an ad for the gym, they could have come up with something to justify it being outdoors.)

• Love 3
On 2/18/2017 at 0:01 PM, EmilyBettFan said:

Maybe they were on a hike? Do people take hikes when there's snow? Lol

Oh people hike in the winter all the time-- especially in B.C. (Or at least my crazy family members do haha). EBR seems like a really outdoorsy type person so I can definitely see her hiking in the winter/snow. 

• Love 1

Hiking yes... people hike in the snow in my area all the time. But bringing bungee gym equipment to hang off trees, I doubt it. I could see EBR doing outdoorsy things, which is why the mundane and completely inside gym activity was disappointing.

22 minutes ago, theOAfc said:

So help me understand here. You are saying that the female lead role changes just like that. I assume then,if by any chance ,another female character gets more focus and screentime than Felicity next season,then she will cease to be the female lead(just like how you claim Emily became the female lead in season 3). Because that's what you suggest. Which means implying that Emily cant leave the show or that the show cant go on without her because she is the female lead is not really an argument to make. Especially if the show can easily replace her with a new female lead much like how it replaced Katie as one. Correct?

The main female role on Arrow changed from Laurel to Felicity. That started happening in episode 201, and it was a process that took the entire second season. By S3, Felicity was the main female character on the show. Behind the scenes, it took awhile longer for them to untangle themselves from the KC mess, but with time, the lead actress also changed from KC to EBR, regardless of billing [KC got pay cuts, EBR got raises, billing remained the same].

But it wasn't in ANY way easy. It took them A LOT of behind the scenes work, and even more work in the narrative, from 103 to 301 [that's forty five episodes. Two and a half years of production], to make it look like they weren't switching leads there.

But also, yeah, if next season they suddenly decide to reduce EBR/Felicity's presence on the show significantly, and then promote some other actress to main female role, then yes, that other actress would be the show's lead. That is what everyone is terrified of re: the new chick, because it happened once, and folks are afraid it'll happen again.

• Love 21
3 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

The main female role on Arrow changed from Laurel to Felicity. That started happening in episode 201, and it was a process that took the entire second season. By S3, Felicity was the main female character on the show. Behind the scenes, it took awhile longer for them to untangle themselves from the KC mess, but with time, the lead actress also changed from KC to EBR, regardless of billing [KC got pay cuts, EBR got raises, billing remained the same].

But it wasn't in ANY way easy. It took them A LOT of behind the scenes work, and even more work in the narrative, from 103 to 301 [that's forty five episodes. Two and a half years of production], to make it look like they weren't switching leads there.

But also, yeah, if next season they suddenly decide to reduce EBR/Felicity's presence on the show significantly, and then promote some other actress to main female role, then yes, that other actress would be the show's lead. That is what everyone is terrified of re: the new chick, because it happened once, and folks are afraid it'll happen again.

People in this board seem pretty informed regarding behind the scenes stuff. I do think there was some bts conflicts (i cant explain the whole KC going from female lead to basically non existent in the show otherwise). I certainly dont think there were issues since so early in the show but then again i dont know stuff.

And i agree,it can easily happen again which is why saying Emily is the female lead doesnt mean much considering that the show has done this switch again in the past.

8 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

The fact that the new actress isn't really making a splash like EBR/Felicity did, I'm not really worried about this. Also the fact that we're 5 seasons in, the show is doing poorly ratings wise, and the show will likely end by the 7th season, I doubt this even more. Felicity is still the only thing that's consistently trending on twitter too (even for episodes that aren't her own)... So yeah, while I can see why people are worried, I really think the chances are extremely slim that EBR's leading role will be replaced. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, theOAfc said:

And i agree,it can easily happen again which is why saying Emily is the female lead doesnt mean much considering that the show has done this switch again in the past.

Nope, my point is it was EXTREMELY COMPLICATED to change female leads once, and I think it's unlikely it'll happen again.

• Love 16
Just now, dtissagirl said:

Nope, my point is it was EXTREMELY COMPLICATED to change female leads once, and I think it's unlikely it'll happen again.

Well fair enough. As i said, i dont know stuff and only talk based on personal observations. 

18 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I hope fan wise they see that this new chick is only popular with some of the comic guys. I think most fans will stick to the one who is proven to be really valuable to the team since 1x03. Tinah didn't come in with a bang so I think we are okay.

Like wonderwall said social media wise Felicity is the one being the consistent trending topic.

Edited by EmilyBettFan
Just now, EmilyBettFan said:

I hope fan wise they see that this new chick is only popular with some of the comic guys. I think most fans will stick to the one who is proven to be really valuable to the team since 1x03. Tinah didn't come in with a bang so I think we are okay.

The arrow Facebook page has generally embraced her so she is definetely popular among certain corners of the internet. Well it doesnt take much for comic fanboys to love her. Her name is enough.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, theOAfc said:

The arrow Facebook page has generally embraced her so she is definetely popular among certain corners of the internet. Well it doesnt take much for comic fanboys to love her. Her name is enough.

That's only a small segment. Plus everyone knows the arrow Facebook is like a cesspool of misogony. Of course that part of the internet would like her. Most there only like a female on superhero shows to wear leather and "fight." Even if you can't see the acual actress do the "fighting" they will claim they are the best ever. Just like Laurel and how she got those guy fans in season 4. Didn't matter that most of them turned on her the minute a new BC came into town. The Facebook has chased away  most of the female population that used to post there. Plus the Arrow team is aware of it but because they don't want to ban or delete some of the male viewpoints because of ratings or whatever I don't really count that arrow Facebook. That Facebook doesn't encompass all of what Arrow is. They just like and post about the fighting crap.

Edited by EmilyBettFan
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, theOAfc said:

Well it doesnt take much for comic fanboys to love her. Her name is enough.

Her name is enough to make the comic fanboys love her, but it's not enough to get the larger part of the audience to tune in for the show.

• Love 7

I think there is a chance FS has momentarily lost the romantic lead. But I don't see FS losing her actual Female lead role, even if TDD takes off. EBR brings them too much positive buzz. Also they made her MamaBear to worthless cubs, so unless they kill her (unlikely) I believe she will get her same amount of screentime she gets now. Of course, if EBR wants out then its a whole different ball game. Though EBR seems content enough.

And its hard to say all this will play out. If the show ends in s7, I think screentimes & Leads will remain similar. If the show goes on longer, I think its too open ended to say what direction the show will go in. Or what the actors will want to do.

• Love 1

I would just add that JH's positive feedback isn't just coming from comic fanboys. Do they like her and respond positively to the name? Of course. However, though they may arguably be the most vocal, that's not the only corner or group from which her support is coming. 

re: female lead changes - I think the problem is that this show, run by these people, makes trying to predict anything extremely difficult if not impossible. If DC pressured the show to add the BC back into the mix, would they have similarly pressured the show to make sure she's a real presence and not just wallpaper? I can see that. That said, even though the people in charge tend to make incredibly stupid decisions, I don't think EBR is in any danger of losing her female lead status - she's still got the screentime, the stories, and the buzz, and I don't see any of that changing. The most they would do, if anything, is have co-female leads, but even that is probably a longshot at this point. It all just depends on what they want to do, and since they don't make decisions based on anything logical, I think this is just yet another wait and see kind of situation.

• Love 3

Do I dare ask exactly where the Dinah Drake is awesome fan club is? 

Shes not outright hated but she's only been in three episodes so far and done nothing in those eps.

But if there are fan tumblrs and fan clubs dedicated in her name and Twitter trends I missed I hardly call her a break out star yet. She's no Felicity or Cisco. 

Not even the reviewers are terribly jazzed on her. I seriously seriously doubt she is any threat to Emily.

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

Huh?...

Clearly they forgot to watch the Very Special Arrow episode/afterschool special. ;) Which is why it was dumb in the first place. Nothing about Arrow will change after that episode. Your message fails to resonate if it falls on blocked ears, starting with your cast.

• Love 2

It's official - the wig is bad (and just plain wrong) on everyone. 

For a very special episode to be effective, it's probably a good idea for it to have some sort of long-term repercussions, not to immediately forget about it the very next week. Otherwise it is, quite literally, a waste of everyone's time.

As far as JH goes, no, of course she doesn't have a huge amount of fan activity yet, and I never said otherwise. I think that's pretty obvious because it's only been the 3 episodes, and it's not as though she's gotten tons of screentime, as of yet. My point - which I was making respectfully, btw - is that to ascribe her support to just one group isn't entirely accurate. And I'll reiterate that she's only a "threat" to Emily if the powers that be decide they want to go in an entirely different direction, throw the show's history completely out the window, and deliberately alienate all of her fans and large swaths of the media. They're stupid, stubborn, and spiteful, don't get me wrong; but they're not that stupid. I'd say that EBR's status as the female lead is safe for as long as she wants to remain on the show and/or for as long as the show continues.

Edited by weathered1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Belinea said:

Is it just me or is the social media side of things really quite these days? Apart from the occasional photo here and there. 

It's not just you. In fact, I found these four posts actually really surprising and out of the norm for this season.

Ok, judging from that latest shot on Juliana Harkavy's Instagram, they're gonna have Dinah go full-on blonde as well. God, why? For the better part of 50 years, Black Canary used to have dark hair and wore a blonde wig when suited up. It was only after the BOP rebranding that the character started to dye her hair and became blonde full-time. Considering that the 2 previous Black Canaries on the show were blonde already, one would think it would give the producers extra incentive to go a different route with BC version 3.0 - especially considering that the actress is naturally dark-haired - but nope! We have to go for the full-on Single White Female scenario again. Dumb, dumber, Arrow!

Edited by shadow2008
  • Love 6