Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, AyChihuahua said:

This 100%. They legit just thought it'd be "cool."

That's why I take nothing for granted with this show anymore. It doesn't matter whether something makes sense, it just matters whether someone thinks it'd be "cool." (Or whether DC/WB tell them to do it.)

They are all about highlighting the drama and using the shocking twists that never pay off afterwards, so i agree. They thought it would be a highlight moment to have Felicity heal just in time to walk out of the room. 

12 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

I figure it requires a membership to the WGA. Which means having writing credits, because the WB is not gonna be dumb enough to try and circumvent the guild.

One of the most common practices in TV is when someone writes a pilot that got picked up, but they have no idea how to be a showrunner? Either the studio enrolls them at the WGA Showrunner Training program, OR they bring in a person who CAN be a showrunner [i.e. write and produce at the same time]. And that person is gonna head the writers room, while the creator is just the ideas person. But not the showrunner.

A showrunner is in charge of the production draft of every script. That one is out of the hands of whoever wrote the episode. That one is on the showrunner. Sometimes the episodic writer nailed it, and the script is good to go. Sometimes it needs massive rewritings. So it's A LOT of writing. And rewriting. While getting distracted by having to be a producer.

Thanks for the info. Is there a legitimate source that says membership in WGA is required? I'm curious on a general and more factual level, than just your figuring or thoughts. I've watched documentaries on showrunners and they never said if there were any specific requirements. But I'm done discussing BamBam because frankly I don't think it matters.

6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

But then they would have had to spend more time on Felicity and her paralysis.  I count myself lucky it lasted for four episodes.

The thing about Bam Bam is that for me all the kudos about what a wonderful director he is, plus the 5 Arrow and 1 Supergirl episodes he was given to direct in his first year of directing, are unearned.  He's not that good a director (plus he's a very biased person on social media) and yet he keeps getting promoted above people who I think are much better.  So yeah, up to now all showrunners have been writers but I wouldn't put it past this bunch to make him a co-showrunner just because they love him so much (for inexplicable reasons IMO).

I disagree with you, I would have preferred more on FS & paralysis because I think it's a story of magnitude that is not covered in general media. It could have informed the general public about the struggles but also the triumph of disabilities. It could have been more than just a cheap trick and wasted story.

But I do agree with you that most of BamBams kudos & promotions are unearned. But it doesn't stop them from happening for inexplicable reasons.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, kismet said:

Is there a legitimate source that says membership in WGA is required?

No, because "showrunner" is not a credited position in the industry. But the WGA has very strict rules for writing credits. And on tv specifically, co-producer, consulting-producer and producer credits on episodic media is also overseen/need approval of the WGA too -- because almost all producers on tv are also writers, or at least involved in the creative process anyway. And usually people got up the writer/producer level to reach showrunner, unless they own the project, which is not the case here.

A much more normal approach for BamBam here, if they want him as an "ideas guy" on the show, would be to give him a consulting producer credit. That way he could pitch ideas and be involved in the creative aspect, without being promoted to showrunner without a single writing credit to his name, and only one producer credit -- but it's an "associate" producer one, which is not a creative position, it's the person who makes sure the ideas of the top/creative producers get executed. And that's a credit from 2010 too, so, forever ago.

• Love 4

Out of all the shows I've followed I've NEVER seen a Stunt Coordinator become show runner. Every show runner has either been promoted from the writers room (Buffy, Angel, Smallville, Supernatural, Criminal Minds etc) or appointed/pushed by the studio that ultimately owns the show (FOX pushed one of their people on Angel after Greenwalt quit).

Even if MG left after S5 and, I don't see signs of that, WM is the co-show runner, she would end up being The show runner, Berlanti would promote someone else from The Writers Room as co-show runner, or he'd pull in someone from one his his failed shows to partner with WM.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 6

The thought of the ideas that Bam Bam would pitch fills me with dread.

39 minutes ago, kismet said:

I disagree with you, I would have preferred more on FS & paralysis because I think it's a story of magnitude that is not covered in general media. It could have informed the general public about the struggles but also the triumph of disabilities. It could have been more than just a cheap trick and wasted story.

Oh, I agree that they should have spent more time on it and done it properly. But it's Felicity and she never gets adequate time for her stories.  I count four as a win.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The thought of the ideas that Bam Bam would pitch fills me with dread.

Oh, I agree that they should have spent more time on it and done it properly. But it's Felicity and she never gets adequate time for her stories.  I count four as a win.

It may have only been 4-5 episodes (4-10 thru 4-15) but since we found out she was going to be in a wheelchair like before 4-9 and the winter hiatus, the time she was paralyzed felt like it lasted forever.  

7 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

No, because "showrunner" is not a credited position in the industry. But the WGA has very strict rules for writing credits.

Thanks. I didn't think showrunner was a credited industry position. I get your point about how business generally goes. And I understand the basics of show business & the strictness of the WGA.

2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

It may have only been 4-5 episodes (4-10 thru 4-15) but since we found out she was going to be in a wheelchair like before 4-9 and the winter hiatus, the time she was paralyzed felt like it lasted forever.  

And yet not as long as most people who are paralyzed have to deal with it.

Edited by kismet
2 hours ago, kismet said:

I'm not looking for realism in my television superhero shows.  If I was, it would have ended in the pilot episode when flashback Oliver died at sea, lol.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kismet said:

I thought the paralysis storyline was treated awfully with the last straw being her magical healing. It was supposed to be something big for the character yet it was treated like a filler episode. It was a life changing situation yet we never saw her growing out of this or developing. And we never saw her focusing on her goal after she talked about it to thea. It honestly felt like she was paralyzed only for them to make a nod to Oracle. They probably thought it was cool. Of course they never intended to explore it even a little which is why they threw one or two lines about it and then ended it in such a ridiculous way. 

Does Felicity even remember she was once in a wheelchair? Most general fans probably don't. And that's a huge problem. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, theOAfc said:

I thought the paralysis storyline was treated awfully with the last straw being her magical healing. It was supposed to be something big for the character yet it was treated like a filler episode. It was a life changing situation yet we never saw her growing out of this or developing. And we never saw her focusing on her goal after she talked about it to thea. It honestly felt like she was paralyzed only for them to make a nod to Oracle. They probably thought it was cool. Of course they never intended to explore it even a little which is why they threw one or two lines about it and then ended it in such a ridiculous way. 

Does Felicity even remember she was once in a wheelchair? Most general fans probably don't. And that's a huge problem. 

It's a given that the show shouldn't have tried to tackle such a story line in the first place.  Bones on the other hand seems to be sticking with their paralysis storyline.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'm not looking for realism in my television superhero shows.  If I was, it would have ended in the pilot episode when flashback Oliver died at sea, lol.  

I'm not looking for realism either. But I don't appreciate emotional manipulation for a cheap tricks, especially if there is a poor return on the story. Either do it well or don't do it all. I don't appreciate shallow lip service to serious medical conditions. There were many other ways they could have handled her injury. Many other ways they could have had Curtis be the Hero. And many other ways they could have had FS walk out on OQ. I just think they chose the worst possible way, that was offensive to me and perhaps other audience members. I don't see their failures in the spinal cord injury story as a realism thing, it's deeper than that. But I'll leave it at that.

• Love 5

Has there ever been an explanation for the paralysis storyline? I remember an interview where EBR said the producers told her they were going to get her in and out of the chair as fast as possible. Then why put her in the chair in the first place? What was the point of the whole thing?  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, loki567 said:

Has there ever been an explanation for the paralysis storyline? I remember an interview where EBR said the producers told her they were going to get her in and out of the chair as fast as possible. Then why put her in the chair in the first place? What was the point of the whole thing?  

For the image of Felicity walking away both emotionally and physically from Oliver after the breakup?? 

Other than that, I have no idea. I doubt there was a real reason actually. 

(Or to have Curtis invent the chip so he can be The Inventor of the team??)

• Love 5

They wanted to have the completion of their faux Oracle origin story and then have Mr. T comic destiny of being terrific.   They needed angst for the mid season finale.   There are lots of reasons,  just none that add up as an actual good reason. 

• Love 18

I found this video really interesting (it was retweeted by JBam, but don't let that stop you from watching) - and yet we saw Oliver learning very few of these fighting styles in the flashbacks every season...

How many fighting styles does Green Arrow know in CW's Arrow?
Published on Jan 28, 2017, by Godzillarex

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

I found this video really interesting (it was retweeted by JBam, but don't let that stop you from watching) - and yet we saw Oliver learning very few of these fighting styles in the flashbacks every season...

How many fighting styles does Green Arrow know in CW's Arrow?
Published on Jan 28, 2017, by Godzillarex

Wow.  That was really interesting.  My respect for SA just went up if he has to learn those techniques.

• Love 1

I love Colin Donnell. Hillary supporter who rescues dogs and is also entirely yummy. 

Yes, please.

I don't think he's Prometheus. I very strongly doubt they could work out the contract issues. Overall I think Prometheus is possibly the DA with a multiple personality disorder issue, or is someone totally out of the blue.

• Love 2

Let's keep the other Earths to the Flash. BS was enough of a waste of time.

I think there was a chance Prometheus could have been Tommy when CD was not employed. But he is on a hit show and has moved on from Arrow. I could see him agreeing to come back if it honored Tommy. But a stint as some evil dude - NAH. I dont think CD needs the money and frankly has too much integrity to do it. 

• Love 4

I agree the logistics seem unlikely but if they made the Tommy is Prometheus a good enough story or twist, then I could understand why he'd agree to do it.  Plus it would make for trips to comic conventions really interesting.  New material to mine.  

But yeah, I really don't think it's Tommy.  

9 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I agree the logistics seem unlikely but if they made the Tommy is Prometheus a good enough story or twist, then I could understand why he'd agree to do it.  Plus it would make for trips to comic conventions really interesting.  New material to mine.  

But yeah, I really don't think it's Tommy.  

Oh I totally think he'd be down for it. I just don't think his show or network would allow it.

Even before the season started, I noticed that the writers weren't picking any Olicity art for #fanartfriday. They'd do Felicity and Oliver, either separately or as part of OTA, but nothing with romantic overtones. I don't know if its because the production office is doing fanartfriday, but for the first time this season they are choosing romantic Olicity art. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

Even before the season started, I noticed that the writers weren't picking any Olicity art for #fanartfriday. They'd do Felicity and Oliver, either separately or as part of OTA, but nothing with romantic overtones. I don't know if its because the production office is doing fanartfriday, but for the first time this season they are choosing romantic Olicity art. 

LOL.

Maybe that looming .5 is at least spooking someone, then!

• Love 2

I didn't see anything wrong with it, personally.  I thought it was funny.  That's possibly because I've often thought the same thing. Lol.  (And to be clear, I'm referring to the original tweet.)

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I didn't see anything wrong with it, personally.  I thought it was funny.  That's possibly because I've often thought the same thing. Lol.  (And to be clear, I'm referring to the original tweet.)

I don't see a problem with it either. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I didn't really mind the original tweet. It's when she insinuated people who hope that Tommy is alive are insane, that's when I got pissed off. 

• Love 1

I guess I would assume that she was only referring to that subset of fans that keep yammering at her about it, like there's anything she can do about it.  I wouldn't blame her for being sick of it.  *shrug*  But that's me.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I guess I would assume that she was only referring to that subset of fans that keep yammering at her about it, like there's anything she can do about it.  I wouldn't blame her for being sick of it.  *shrug*  But that's me.  

If there are people @ing her about it, I'm sure inferring that they're insane is gonna make them stop!

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

This is exactly what happens with SA, I remain firm that the best option is to just not say anything at all. I get it might be annoying - but mute said people and move on *shrugs*

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 3

If you're going to take your workout outside,  why not actually do outdoorsy things? 

EBR is impressive in her workouts. But just think this post needed more incorporation of the outdoors to be a more effective advertisement.

1 hour ago, kismet said:

If you're going to take your workout outside,  why not actually do outdoorsy things? 

EBR is impressive in her workouts. But just think this post needed more incorporation of the outdoors to be a more effective advertisement.

They advertising t3athletics a lot this year. 

Edited by theOAfc
  • Love 1