Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

It seems like if you're dissatisfied with the show and unhappy with Emily/Felicity's role in it, that you're more likely to believe that Emily is dissatisfied with the show and her/Felicity's role in it. ETA: I suppose the same could be said otherwise (if you're satisfied with the show you'd be more likely to think that Emily is too), but it seems like a majority of the commenters here are dissatisfied with the show, but not all of them believe that she's unhappy.

Maybe she is, maybe she isn't - we won't ever know for sure. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 13
8 minutes ago, ladylaw99 said:

Personally I wouldn't want to put myself out there if I was getting death threats based on a character I played. There is a fine line and people cross it. It is ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised that her social media silence is being linked to her supposed dissatisfaction with the show rather than the fact that every time she talked about the show she received death threats and abuse

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, theOAfc said:

And EBR doesnt even do cons lol. I think EBR is staying because of 1)contracts or 2) steady paycheck.

I cant buy the idea that she really wants to work on this show untill it ends. I saw a shift in her attitude and the way she talks about the show and her character after the paralysis storyline. She,like Willa,is over it, imo.

Well, I can see that too. She was promised a storyline with a lot of emotional, mental & physical complexity in s4 and it was tossed to the curb. And the worse than that it was resolved in a ultra-cheesy manner to add an exclamation point on the most cliched & melodramatic storyline to date.

If I was her, I would be checked out of it to. We all need a paycheck, which is why I don't see her leaving anytime soon. But I can't she her buckling down and digging into her craft for this show. What's the point? Go in do your job and hope for the best. You don't get extra credit for doing a good job, she'll get her paycheck either way.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

It seems like if you're dissatisfied with the show and unhappy with Emily/Felicity's role in it, that you're more likely to believe that Emily is dissatisfied with the show and her/Felicity's role in it.

Very good point. 

• Love 2

@lemotomato Exactly. I think EBR was smart in not engaging on social media when it came to the show. No one has the right to put fear in her life because of a job she is doing. It is all fun and games until something happens or worst someone gets hurt.  Arrow is her paycheck, acting is her life, she will have other jobs after this. Is she happy, who knows and I really don't care because it does not affect my life.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

But BamBam has zero writing credits to his name? How would someone who never wrote a script in his life be *the head write*r? 

I think it's best to not dwell on these questions. People being completely unqualified for jobs and still getting handed those jobs for reasons is something that happens these days all too frequently. If GB & team want BamBam to be their new fearless leader & showrunner it will happen whether BamBam has the credentials or not.

Sadly, if BamBam is part of the creative force that made s5 what it is, for me that means I'm done with the show.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Their reasoning was this: season 3/4 got good ratings because season 1/2 were so great people stuck around through season 3 and most of 4 hoping that the show would improve. Then they quit 2/3 of the way into season 4 and never came back, which was why season 5 ratings stink. They think if the show continues as it has, season 6 ratings will improve.

That makes no sense either. Did a significant portion of the Arrow viewership hold a psychic conference call last season and decide to leave together after 4x15?

If the show is already midway through a season, maybe the problem isn't previous seasons but the current season.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, tv echo said:

That makes no sense either. Did a significant portion of the Arrow viewership hold a psychic conference call last season and decide to leave together after 4x15?

If the show is already midway through a season, maybe the problem isn't previous seasons but the current season.

You weren't there for the magical mystical connection?

I think there can be a point made that previous seasons lead up to big departure moment after 415. It was a a gradual build up of pressure, that started in s3. The break-up I think was just the final straw that broke the camel's back. FS magic moment of coming to the light and curing paralysis through shear willpower. When she stood up against the odds and walked out on OQ, that inspired a lot of normal people to get up too. People didn't just leave because of the break-up. There were factors leading up it that were planted in s3 & s4.

Just kidding, although maybe not. Because I do think that scene really set the tone for the show. It said that melodramatics outranked common sense and logic. It also was a slap in the face that years of what many people say was not accurate. That the relationships we had seen building over the last 3.5 years was just a figment of our imagination or not as important as the predetermined plot points. At some point, there is only so many times you can tune back into a show hoping to get a different result. If s5 had taught me anything, its that the show is moving in a direction and it doesn't care if everybody got back on the bus at the last pit stop.

• Love 2

Do you have a citation for that? (I am not challenging you; but it's the first I've heard of anything that definitive, and that would be very interesting information.)

@AyChihuahua During the convention (don't remember if it was Paris or London, those were pretty close together), several different people tweeted it, during her Q&A. As for video or write up, I don't have anything. Very little comes from those cons unfortunately. I'm sure if you were to ask one of the EBR fan accts on twitter, they'd probably have it saved. I just remember it because I was following the tag during her q&a.

Edited by JJ928
8 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

@AyChihuahua During the convention (don't remember if it was Paris or London, those were pretty close together), several different people tweeted it, during her Q&A. As for video or write up, I don't have anything. Very little comes from those cons unfortunately. I'm sure if you were to ask one of the EBR fan accts on twitter, they'd probably have it saved. I just remember it because I was following the tag during her q&a.

And the context was that the six years began back when she signed as a regular, so presumably some time in S1? (Bc she would have been in S4 or thereabouts when she actually said it.)

Frankly they would have been smart to sign her for as long as they had signed SA, so that makes sense. They probably have unilateral options, so they'd still have the flexibility not to exercise an option if they wanted to cut her loose, but she wouldn't have the same without breaching.

3 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

And the context was that the six years began back when she signed as a regular, so presumably some time in S1? (Bc she would have been in S4 or thereabouts when she actually said it.)

Frankly they would have been smart to sign her for as long as they had signed SA, so that makes sense. They probably have unilateral options, so they'd still have the flexibility not to exercise an option if they wanted to cut her loose, but she wouldn't have the same without breaching.

She was signed as a regular for season 2. From what I remember, it read something like: she was excited but it was also overwhelming because 6 years was a long time. So regular in season 2, if the 6 years is true then she's contracted through 7. It was said this summer after season 4.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 2
Just now, JJ928 said:

She was signed as a regular for season 2. From what I remember, it read something like: she was excited but it was also overwhelming because 6 years was a long time. So regular in season 2, if the 6 years is true then she's contracted through 7.

I more meant that she would have been in S1 when she signed for S2, or the summer hiatus. So she was referring back to that time when she said six years, aka the clock started for S2, as opposed to the clock started when she actually said the words at the con after S4, which could take her through S10 or some such craziness. 

If you ever come across one of those tweets, I'd love to see it. 

• Love 3

I don't want her to leave but it would be really interesting to see how she affects ratings  (if at all).

SA does nothing for me without Felicity. I'd probably watch the Flash even if the cast changed because I find Barry endearing, little cry baby that he is.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

I more meant that she would have been in S1 when she signed for S2, or the summer hiatus. So she was referring back to that time when she said six years, aka the clock started for S2, as opposed to the clock started when she actually said the words at the con after S4, which could take her through S10 or some such craziness. 

If you ever come across one of those tweets, I'd love to see it. 

Ok, I misunderstood you lol. Yeah, that was my impression.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Soulfire said:

An assumption here is that EBR doesn't bother to talk about or promote her character or the show, and a) EBR has never talked about the show or her character much outside of interviews and/or public appearances, b) it's also an unfair assumption considering EBR hasn't been given a forum to talk about Felicity and her storyline this year. Thus saying she's over the show and not that invested anymore is personal opinion, not necessarily congruent with what EBR may or may not think about her character and the show this year.

As I recall, I remember EBR expressing some disappointment that the show didn't explore Felicity being in a wheelchair more last year, but other than that she was positive, talking about how much she loved Felicity and the show and the challenges she'd been given -- I know this because I sat in a room with about twelve other people when she talked about it.

I think everyone here is assuming and speculating .... its not like EBR is on anyone's speed dial and they can ask her if she likes this storyline or that ... Both speculations, whether she likes the storyline or not or whether she is done with the show or not are equally valid or invalid (whatever your point of view may be) ... neither opinion carries more weight than the other ... it is just a matter of perspective ... shrg-1.gif

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, Tazmania said:

I think everyone here is assuming and speculating .... its not like EBR is on anyone's speed dial and they can ask her if she likes this storyline or that ... Both speculations, whether she likes the storyline or not or whether she is done with the show or not are equally valid or invalid (whatever your point of view may be) ... neither opinion carries more weight than the other ... it is just a matter of perspective ... shrg-1.gif

Not sure why my post was quoted, but thank you for agreeing with me. None of us know what EBR thinks.

I think it made sense that they would sign EBR through season 7 because that's what SA was signed for.  It just makes sense to sign people for however long the star of the show is on.

I didn't mind Felicity's magical walking in 4x15 even though it was cheesy.  What turned me off was how depressing the episode was, and what an idiot Oliver had become.  There was no fun in it any more.

• Love 3

It occurs to me that keeping EBR away from the media/spotlight might be Berlanti/CW/WB protecting EBR. IIRC EBR got a serious enough death threat that WB called her up to check on her (right around COH2).

It's possible that either EBR/her people or the Network/Studio decided to cut back on her media duties in order to avoid crazy fans being crazy.

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It occurs to me that keeping EBR away from the media/spotlight might be Berlanti/CW/WB protecting EBR. IIRC EBR got a serious enough death threat that WB called her up to check on her (right around COH2).

It's possible that either EBR/her people or the Network/Studio decided to cut back on her media duties in order to avoid crazy fans being crazy.

This is what I believe too.

I feel like EBR took the death threats seriously when the Network people contacted her. Before that, I don't think she notice them since she is not involved in the fandom that much. 

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I think it made sense that they would sign EBR through season 7 because that's what SA was signed for.  It just makes sense to sign people for however long the star of the show is on.

I didn't mind Felicity's magical walking in 4x15 even though it was cheesy.  What turned me off was how depressing the episode was, and what an idiot Oliver had become.  There was no fun in it any more.

Yeah, the magical walking thing wasn't that big of a deal for me, cheesy but that was just a timing thing.  We'd already accepted that a chip in her back was going to let her walk again.  So when it happened was a shrug of the shoulders to me.  The thing for me was until she actually got up and walked away, I actually still had hope that the show could surprise me and NOT break them up this time. Yes have her upset and spell it all out and even have a time out, but I had some hope that the show might have created the manufactured drama in the 4-8 episode so that it could go a different route when that moment really came around this time.  

Of course as more and more people found out about the kid my hopes that I would be able to even tolerate Felicity not breaking up  with him went down, but until they had him send the kid away without any input from Felicity, I still saw a way to write them moving forward without a hard break up. But nope, no swerves, no saves.  Just the suck we all saw coming.  It was very disappointing that what I'd feared was just as bad as I feared and made worse since the show tried to half convince me that there could be a twist to the storytelling.    

• Love 4

Sending the kid away without input from Felicity after she'd told him that she wanted a partner who was a real partner was a slap in the face not just to her but to those of the audience who believed in the relationship.

The death threats  are indeed terrifying.  And it makes me feel queasy knowing that the crazies were reinforced this season by being listened to and the show going back to masks and fights.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 12

There is a receipts master post that floats around tumblr of some of the hate she gets tagged on, and it's massive, like scroll through. She is tagged contsantly on every piece of hate, because they think she needs to 'learn her place', sooooo many death threats and comments about how she needs to fuck off and die, about how fat and ugly she is, how useless, that she is a whore/slut etc etc, it's some of the most aggressive mysoginistic hate I have seen across social media, we are talking a big group of horrible people that unrelentingly tag her on everything.

I guess that's what enrages me, that this behavior ultimately got rewarded. Show runners taught these people that if you harass, gaslight and intimidate enough you can dictate what you want. That cycle of hate will not go away now that it got validated.

Edited by MaisyDaisy
Auto correct changed a word
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, kismet said:

I think it's best to not dwell on these questions. People being completely unqualified for jobs and still getting handed those jobs for reasons is something that happens these days all too frequently. If GB & team want BamBam to be their new fearless leader & showrunner it will happen whether BamBam has the credentials or not.

Sadly, if BamBam is part of the creative force that made s5 what it is, for me that means I'm done with the show.

Alright, I think we can all agree that Arrow does some strange stuff. But the stunt coordinator becoming showrunner? I know nothing about this stuff, but that seems highly unlikely.

• Love 4

Sorry the magical walking was really a bullshit thing to do. She should have just wheeled away, maybe over his foot. I just think it was to satisfy their narrow minded thinking that in order for the moment to have punch, she needed to be walking. She could have made a dramatic exit via wheelchair.

And the level of cheesy, I just couldn't handle after getting the slap in the face that nothing about their relationship was valuable. Because the O/F I had known would have worked through how to handle William now that everybody knows about him. And I actually was very tolerant of the majority of OQ's deceptions up until the MM part of it. So to see him just toss FS's opinion aside for Vixen's, and then film that video. I just couldn't handle the ridiculous walking - chip or no chip.

I don't mind depressing cliffhangers, but I mind ones that insult my intelligence. And the magical walking was the frosting on that insult cupcake they served up in that episode.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ladylaw99 said:

Personally I think EBR is smart. She stays out of trouble this way. When asked about the character or the show, she answers, other than that, she lives her life and has fun. She is young and I say live your life the way you want. Fans are great until you say something they do not agree with and then you are harassed and hated on.  Look at how people talk about her now and she doesn't even do that many interviews and cons. I say promote  when you have to and live your life in private.

This also applies to cons. She doesn't go which pisses people off but that's her choice. 

Also, her not going leads her to not saying anything that can anger/disappoint/mislead people about the show. Which has happened to a lot of the different cast from the different shows. But mostly the Arrow cast like Stephen an Katie.

Edited by EmilyBettFan
  • Love 1

I think if I had been a writer, if they absolutely insisted she walk away I would have shown the chip failing as soon as she left the room. Or shown that she was weak from not walking and couldn't actually make it out of the building. She could have called Thea or her mom (I think she was still there?) for help.

It just feels like this show has so many wasted opportunities in favor of silly twists! and other contrivances. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, looptab said:

Alright, I think we can all agree that Arrow does some strange stuff. But the stunt coordinator becoming showrunner? I know nothing about this stuff, but that seems highly unlikely.

I wasn't the one suggesting the promoting. I was just saying there is a precedent in this new world that people really don't need to be qualified for their jobs anymore if people really want it. It's not like showrunner requires a license or degree. It's just a person in charge of ideas. Most are writers, but who's to say that BamBam can't write basic plot lines. Arrow is not that complex of a show anymore.

And he's not just a stunt coordinator. He's a director. with a lot of episodes under his belt for the past 2 seasons. And he is there go to director if people cancel. Just saying, I wouldn't be surprised by his promotion over the off season.

• Love 1

I don't even know where these doubts over the showrunning come from. Isn't Wendy the showrunner? Are there rumors of her leaving?

Anyway, yeah, I know you weren't the one suggesting it, but you did deem it a possibility - again in your last post - and that's what I was responding to.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 2

From earlier posts, it seems to be coming from SA interviews talking about GB shows getting a renaissance by having new creatives in their 5/6th seasons where they hit their stride. And I think between that and the dropping ratings, people are wondering if their will be a shake-up in the writers room. Also MG seems to be doing a lot of side projects.

IDK if its got legs or not, but some days I think they really could use a new showrunner. I just wouldn't want BamBam. Frankly, the promotion of WM to co-showrunner hasn't helped much anyway.

4 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Yeah, the magical walking thing wasn't that big of a deal for me, cheesy but that was just a timing thing.  

This is completely anecdotal, but a couple of people I know IRL quit Arrow on 415, and they were fed up with the BMD, and annoyed that the show was going back to will they/won't they, but their trigger was the miracle walk. That's what broke their suspension of disbelief. And... I can see that being an actual "oh my god this show is too ridiculous" moment for folks in that 600k exodus, like, it wasn't that the timing was terribad awful, but that was what broke the camel.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, kismet said:

It's not like showrunner requires a license or degree. It's just a person in charge of ideas.

I figure it requires a membership to the WGA. Which means having writing credits, because the WB is not gonna be dumb enough to try and circumvent the guild.

One of the most common practices in TV is when someone writes a pilot that got picked up, but they have no idea how to be a showrunner? Either the studio enrolls them at the WGA Showrunner Training program, OR they bring in a person who CAN be a showrunner [i.e. write and produce at the same time]. And that person is gonna head the writers room, while the creator is just the ideas person. But not the showrunner.

A showrunner is in charge of the production draft of every script. That one is out of the hands of whoever wrote the episode. That one is on the showrunner. Sometimes the episodic writer nailed it, and the script is good to go. Sometimes it needs massive rewritings. So it's A LOT of writing. And rewriting. While getting distracted by having to be a producer.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 7

I think the magical walk was done to solve the problem of Felicity being able to live alone in the loft and take care of herself..without Oliver she wouldn't have been able to even go to her bedroom. They could have had Donna or a nurse stay with her to help but I guess it would have complicated things and maybe make people feel bad for her and annoyed towards Oliver. It was ridiculous though and on top of a ridiculous arc so I understand if it turned people off.

About Emily's social media engagement she mentions the show less than ever in my opinion too but I have no idea of the reason. I thought it could be because after years there isn't the same enthusiasm of the beginning anymore. One person I thought might be unhappy with the show is Paul because he made that comment about them doing Lance's alcoholism SL again and I wouldn't blame him.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

In an post Christina Grimmie era I'm not surprised the WB would take death threats seriously.

The argument I was responding to was the claim that it was having two Olicity-focused seasons,* period, that caused the ratings to drop after 4x15 and this season (in other words, that Olicity is to blame for ruining Arrow), and that the current "great" season will cause ratings to increase next season. My point is, I think audience feedback in the form of ratings change is much more immediate and there's not this season-long lag between cause and effect.

(* I would even disagree with the description of those seasons as Olicity-focused. I think that they were Oliver-focused and that Oliver's relationship with Felicity was part of his character development.)

IMO, every season of Arrow has had its flaws. Season 1 was pretty dreary until Felicity and OTA. Season 2 wasn't as consistently great as now claimed. We remember it fondly because of the first half of that season and the last two episodes, but in between, there was a lot of fan dissatisfaction. MG once said that about 95% of their hate mail during Season 2 "was from people who were pissed off that we made Caity Lotz the Canary instead of making Katie Cassidy Black Canary." (They then killed off Sara, realized they made a mistake, and brought her back to life - and now she's a very popular character on another show.) 

Season 3 wasn't as terrible as now claimed (imo) and had a lot of great moments. Season 4 was pretty well-received during its first half and only fell apart after 4x15. However, I'm guessing the EPs received a lot of hate mail last spring/summer blaming everything on Felicity/Olicity. So once again, the EPs listened to the squeakiest wheel (disregarding the fact that it might be the smallest wheel), and we now have Season 5, which is averaging the lowest ratings ever for the show.

ETA: I'm the one who started the JBam as showrunner discussion, unfortunately. I snarkily said something about MG not spending any time on Arrow because his tweets were all about Trollhunters and X-Men Gold. Someone asked if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I replied that it depended on who replaced him and mentioned my one-time fear that JBam might be promoted to showrunner based on SA's gushing praise of him last summer. I have almost zero knowledge of how Hollywood works.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6
49 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

The flaw in the logic of ~O/F drove people away~ is that 600k people dropped the show immediately after O/F broke up. It does not compute.

I've been told that the massive drop should be attributed to LL stans hearing the spoiler that she was going to die. That's why they left. Ignoring the fact that general viewers are not as attuned to spoilers as Internet folks. Sigh.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I've been told that the massive drop should be attributed to LL stans hearing the spoiler that she was going to die. That's why they left. Ignoring the fact that general viewers are not as attuned to spoilers as Internet folks. Sigh.

Bwahahaha LOL. That's so precious.

3 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

I think these fools just liked the idea of Felicity finally getting use of her legs back JUST to walk out on Oliver, like a visual punchline. So basically they went with bringing a really really lame dad joke to life.

This 100%. They legit just thought it'd be "cool."

That's why I take nothing for granted with this show anymore. It doesn't matter whether something makes sense, it just matters whether someone thinks it'd be "cool." (Or whether DC/WB tell them to do it.)

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Thundercatmary said:

I think if I had been a writer, if they absolutely insisted she walk away I would have shown the chip failing as soon as she left the room. Or shown that she was weak from not walking and couldn't actually make it out of the building. She could have called Thea or her mom (I think she was still there?) for help.

But then they would have had to spend more time on Felicity and her paralysis.  I count myself lucky it lasted for four episodes.

9 hours ago, kismet said:

IAnd he's not just a stunt coordinator. He's a director. with a lot of episodes under his belt for the past 2 seasons. And he is there go to director if people cancel. Just saying, I wouldn't be surprised by his promotion over the off season.

The thing about Bam Bam is that for me all the kudos about what a wonderful director he is, plus the 5 Arrow and 1 Supergirl episodes he was given to direct in his first year of directing, are unearned.  He's not that good a director (plus he's a very biased person on social media) and yet he keeps getting promoted above people who I think are much better.  So yeah, up to now all showrunners have been writers but I wouldn't put it past this bunch to make him a co-showrunner just because they love him so much (for inexplicable reasons IMO).

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah it does seem like she's taking a really low key approach about everything and not just arrow. She isn't posting a lot of selfies of herself either and I noticed she hasn't gone to any of the award parties this year, I am pretty sure she was invited. She was also visiting LA a lot last year and has decided to stay in Vancouver instead this year even on the weekends. So it's definitely a direction to have her be low key this year 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

Bwahahaha LOL. That's so precious.

There's an LL/BC defense squad out there who, anytime anybody mentions that ratings dropped because maybe viewers were pissed Olicity was broken up, swoops in and "corrects" the "delusional shippers." Nope, it's all about the big death. That's why! Yeah, precious.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, MaisyDaisy said:

There is a receipts master post that floats around tumblr of some of the hate she gets tagged on, and it's massive, like scroll through. She is tagged contsantly on every piece of hate, because they think she needs to 'learn her place', sooooo many death threats and comments about how she needs to fuck off and die, about how fat and ugly she is, how useless, that she is a whore/slut etc etc, it's some of the most aggressive mysoginistic hate I have seen across social media, we are talking a big group of horrible people that unrelentingly tag her on everything.

I guess that's what enrages me, that this behavior ultimately got rewarded. Show runners taught these people that if you harass, gaslight and intimidate enough you can dictate what you want. That cycle of hate will not go away now that it got validated.

I agree with everything. I remember specifically one account that would pop up and send her direct threats calling her names and tagging her co stars like SA,BR,KC telling them gross stuff about her. People would report the account and it would pop up a week later. Once this account basically tweeted Emily that they would find her in person in a con (in order to harm her) that she was announced to appear. Then suddenly the account stopped popping up(probably reported for good) . I think it was why CW made a call about her safety.

And its indeed sad that these people are somehow validated because of the producers basically trying to earn them back as if the hatred got to them. Reddit was celebrating when the season started claiming they "won" ,that the writers finally understood that they are the real fans and they should be listened by  the writers.

• Love 2