Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I love Orlando Jones, he's too funny. I agree Irving and Jenny would be Mr and Mrs BAMF. I love that he ships Olicity and think it's hysterical that he ships Destiel. I'm going to have to pay closer attention to the Misha/Orlando tweets during Supernatural

• Love 2

I'll confess, I'd feel sorrier for BR if he were a better actor. *shrugs* He seems sweet and nice and all, but Grant Gustin managed to be charming and create chemistry with EBR, while OQ was being jealous in the background, so it can be done. 

I will say I feel bad for BR that he didn't get a better role written in Arrow. GG had a 2 episode flirtfest. BR was supposed to come in steal the company, the girl, the CGI & walk away with his own show. Tall order for the scripts he was given. So he was set up to be antagonistic to audiences whereas GG was set-up to almost as lil bro/ fanboy of TA. They both were competition, but written with different lenses. Im glad hes getting a different show, because I have always wondered if I would be more interested in the ATOM if I knew he wasnt just a temporary part/stall tactic that is wreaking havoc on core relationships. I just wonder if it was good tactical strategy to so obviously make him a LI for FS & really beyond the suit thats all he's been since his first episode. I mean he could have had a more interesting storyline if they let him actually interact with other characters. Understand you can't put him in the foundry but Quentin had some free time. I would have loved to see QL sparring with another rich boy thinking he can fix everything with money. I just feel they pigeon holed him into this one little role & it took way too long for the suit to actually make an appearance. I think he did the best he could with less than stellar scripts.

• Love 10

I can only speak for myself, obviously, but I want that on the show, not behind the scenes. For me, the characters are always the priority, never the actors.

Me too. I also find that following the actors too closely can sometimes be detrimental to my enjoyment of their characters. Sometimes I find out things about them I don't like (like that guy from Firefly - gah I can't remember his name right now.)

• Love 2

Yes! Adam Baldwin. Man, I can't see him the same way anymore. Tom Cruise is another one. It's hard for me to watch his movies because I don't see his character anymore. I see the guy who jumps on couches and recruits for the Scientologists. Sometimes the less I know about actors and their personal lives, the better.

• Love 1

I like it when actors get on, and have fun working together. That's really as far as it goes. If they want to do this stuff, it's cute and I might watch it, but I won't say there's not a little bitterness that I don't get to watch them actually work together any more.

I prefer EBR's bathtub therapy videos though. Those are some grade A weird wonderfulness.

• Love 10

I'm with Nancy; I don't care what they do outside the show.  In fact, I find the substance and timing of the video kind of manipulative.

I definitely question the timing of it too, but I also understand that Stephen likely wanted TA and Olicity fans to feel better after the shitty way they've been treated this season and help channel that for a good cause he strongly believes in. The problem is that for a lot of people, it doesn't make up for what's happening on the show.

I like it when actors get on, and have fun working together. That's really as far as it goes. If they want to do this stuff, it's cute and I might watch it, but I won't say there's not a little bitterness that I don't get to watch them actually work together any more.

This too. That was my first reaction. I literally felt a bit sad seeing the 3 on them interacting so naturally together because I knew I wasn't ever getting that same dynamic again on the show.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 6

I appreciate that SA wanted to do a nice Team Arrow video on his FB page but seeing them together having fun just empathizes how much the show is not giving me what I want. It's like the 2.5 comics, it's got everything that I want from Arrow, none of which I'm getting on the show itself.

Yes! Adam Baldwin. Man, I can't see him the same way anymore.

As much as I loved Firefly and Chuck, I well never be able to see Adam Baldwin on my screen again without wanting to smack him.  Judgmental ass.

• Love 2

Yep, that video mostly made me sad. On one hand, it's nice to see that the 3 of them (even with mostly unseen DR) still have great chemistry and have fun together. On the other hand, I shouldn't have to wait for SA to post a personal video to see that interaction.

• Love 5

Aw, I loved that video. Their chemistry is so organic and effortless and SA and EBR both have such great laughs. You can see how/why they're good friends, I think. But I agree, it did make me wistful for this on the show. It was kind of glaring how much I miss the three of them. Just like we shouldn't have to read the 2.5 comics for good stories, we shouldn't have to rely on social media for much-needed interaction. 

• Love 4

I enjoyed the video.  I guess I'm pretty convinced by all of Guggentroll's statements that the show is going away from OG TA, so I'll take what I can get.  

And they are all so cute together.  There's no way they can have OG TA with Laurel as Black Canary. Way too much chemistry to outshine the non-chemistry-having Laurel. 

• Love 2

As much as I loved Firefly and Chuck, I well never be able to see Adam Baldwin on my screen again without wanting to smack him.  Judgmental ass.

I always think of him from Angel as Marcus Hamilton.

• Love 1
(edited)
thegirliscurious asked:

Hi Marc. I enjoy Arrow. Don't know if these has been asked already. How are the directors picked to direct the episodes? It seems that a director may only direct one or two episodes per season. is this an efficient way of working or is it something that has been done for so long in the industry that it's expected. How is the story continuity maintained from episode to episode? (Is that the job of the producers/writers?). is there director that you would like to have direct an episode? Thanks

Thanks for your question.  The answer is super-complicated.  Andrew and I work out the director bookings with an executive at the studio, who facilitates and is wonderful.  A multitude of factors go into who directs which episode and how many episodes they direct, including:

— The director’s availability (some are only available for one or two episodes)

— Which Director of Photography we feel the director works best with.  (We have one for even-numbered episodes and one for odd-numbered eps.)

— The director’s other commitments/schedule.

— The anticipated nature of the episode.  Is it a crossover?  Is it a mid-season finale?  Etc.

The director schedule is really one massive Rubik’s Cube with a lot of moving parts.

The continuity from episode to episode is a group responsibility from me and my partners down to the on-set script supervisor to post production.  It takes a village.

I’d love to see Michelle Maclaren (sp?) direct an episode of Arrow.  I think she’d crush it.

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

Edited by tv echo

I'm worried about the declining production values of this season.  I've typically been fairly impressed with the fight scenes and set decorations, but the last couple episodes have had some laughable moments and I'd like to know what are behind them.

Many have commented on the poor fight scenes lately.  I'm not an expert, but I have noticed less 'wow' moments and others have commented on obvious stunt-doubling which was not an issue before.  Additionally, in "The Return" we had some truly hideous green screening in the Queen mansion and the broken freighter at the island.  When they needed Ray Palmer's apartment in "Nanda Parbat," they simply redressed the QC/PT sets with Dorian Grey levels of old masters (seriously, if they had all been portraits, I'd have been really worried for Felicity).  As late as 3x04, I had been impressed at the time and thought that went into Felicity's apartment, which was used about the same amount and apparently without the expectation that we'd see it again very soon, if at all.

My theory is that the multiple heroes with less actors willing to do stunts are a drain on the fight coordinators, that they've had to scrimp on the CGI time and budget because of the friking ATOM suit, and that all of this is coming out of other budgets, such as sets.  Perhaps the set issue was a late rewrite and the scenes were originally set at PT before they thought it might be bad form to have Felicity bang the boss in the actual offices.

The show looks cheaper now, spread thin, and it makes me sad.

• Love 20
(edited)

I think the delay was probably because everyone trying to figure out a compromise.

Good for SA. I don't think anyone works harder than he does to sell their show and make fans happy too.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 4

And the long speculation nightmare is over. Wonder what changed his mind - CW contracts or PR?

Oh, the network/studio totally forced his hand, I'm sure of that.

Great that he figured out a way to be at the con, at least partially, though. That's nice of him.

• Love 9

Yeah, I feel like there was probably some arm-twisting going on here. Maybe I'm just a cynic though.

And speaking out of that same cynicism, I have to wonder what kind of statement SA was trying to make by holding out so long. He's not new to this - he had to know he was going to end up being required to be there. What was going on behind the scenes there?

I don't know - maybe I'm overthinking it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think he wants his show back on track instead of having it focus on launching Ray, Laurel, etc at the expense of his character and Team Arrow. Not to mention the terrible writing he has to put up with this season.

Is his contract up after this season? Maybe that would give him some leverage for some creative control.

Edited by Lord Kira
  • Love 2

I think he is contracted for six seasons, or at the very least five - per the EP's original plan.

anyway, good on him for not totally canceling on the con. And I have no doubt there's stuff happening behind the scenes that we are not privy to.

• Love 6

I really do think SA is trying to manage as best he can. He knows people are unhappy with the show but as an actor he's got little leverage.

I know someone who posted on his FB page that she bought a couple of Sinceriously T-shirts and praised him for working very hard but after his People interview (in which he said "if ever"), she wondered if he was telling her to quit the show now.  He replied with something like "Aww, come on now, hang in" which is about the only thing he could say.  I'm sure lots of other people are commenting the same kind of thing there and to his twitter account.

I could see holding off on going to the Paleyfest his way of trying to get the EPs attention to say "no, there are problems here" in the same way he brought them viewers' responses to Oliver's man-whoring and got them to change it.

• Love 2

As a show ages I know it gets more expensive and usually at the same time suffers from cuts to the budget.  I wouldn't think that three years into it the show would be suffering from the aging problem, it's way too soon for renegotiating contracts.  I do remember hearing that the budgets went down though.  Both Arrow and Flash actually benefit from being next door to each other.  By sharing sets they have doubled their options but the thing with Palmer's apartment, that seemed less of a budget issue than a time or thought thing. 

The space didn't feel transformed or personalized.  Even his workshop at the office had more personality with the inflatable clowns.  His apartment felt like, well like a generic and absurd cliché about a billionaire. I would have accepted a very sterile space, something that he hasn't taken the time to personalize but this was supposed to be his home where he rotates the artwork each season but I honestly don't buy into Palmer the uber techie guy being the type to surround himself with old masters let alone to cram them into such a tiny space.  I'd associate abstract works or something eminently modern and shiny, not stuffy or gloomy (or grope heavy - what was with that painting?)  Either there was a massive time constraint that didn't allow for anything better or nobody cares enough about the character (or has thought enough about who the character is) to bother doing better. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Playlist of 9 short video clips of MG and Tara Butters at the Long Beach Comic Expo:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ChqgPtb2VJtk78rQYefj1Yle9w3baT0

• Agent Carter Showrunner Talks Peggy's Chemistry and Possible Husband Long Beach Comic Expo
  • Agent Carter Showrunner Tar Butters Talks Captain America Radio Show Becoming A Podcast Long Beach
  • Arrow Show Runner Guggenheim Talks Changing Arrowhead for Each Season Long Beach Comic Expo
  • Arrow & Agent Carter Showrunners Talk Marvel DC TV Crossover Easter Eggs Long Beach Comic Expo
  • Arrow Showrunner Talks About How Characters Are Selected Blue Beetle Atom Long Beach Comic
  • Arrow Showrunner on Batman Potential in Arrow TV Show Guggenheim Rogues Gallery Long Beach Comic  
  • Jarvis & Felicity Talk with Arrow & Agent Carter Showrunner: Chemistry of Oliver & Peggy Long Beach  
  • Tara Butters Talks Possible Agent Carter Season 2 Setting & Storyline at Long Beach Comic Expo
  • Marc Guggenheim Talks DC & Marvel Conflicts and the Daredevil Comic Book Long Beach Comic Expo
Marc Guggenheim retweeted

*Lauren Gallaway* @Lauren_Gallaway  ·  14h 14 hours ago
Check out @breadandbutters & @mguggenheim's awesome #LBCC panel! Thx to @ParksAndCons 4 sharing! #Arrow #AgentCarter http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ChqgPtb2VJtk78rQYefj1Yle9w3baT0

https://twitter.com/mguggenheim

Edited by tv echo

I wonder what SA got in return for his little stand? No one is going to convince me that he wasn't proving a point by not agreeing to go to Paleyfest. 

The spin off helps take one extra person away from his show and gives the EP's the Team show they want to build, they can now introduce any of their new heroes on that show freeing up Arrow to be about the actual Arrow again. However sadly, Arrow is still stuck with whatsherface since she would be even more useless on a Team of super powered/suited/trained heroes then she is on Arrow. She's dead weight on either show. If they choose to rehire Caity over bringing her character over that is saying something. 

• Love 7

I'm not sure why people think it's a knock on KC/Laurel that there is no spin-off with her character. Personally, I think even if KC/Laurel was playing the most popular character on the show, they probably still wouldn't spin her off because they want Laurel/Black Canary to be on Arrow throughout the show's entire run.

• Love 3

I'm not sure why people think it's a knock on KC/Laurel that there is no spin-off with her character. Personally, I think even if KC/Laurel was playing the most popular character on the show, they probably still wouldn't spin her off because they want Laurel/Black Canary to be on Arrow throughout the show's entire run.

Yeah, they're not killing Laurel off in order to bring Sara back, and IF she's playing Sara, she's doing it on a completely different show. It doesn't have anything at all to do with KC; it just speaks to the fact that the fans and the network like CL.

• Love 2