Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I'm putting on my tinfoil hat for why Katie specifically wasn't at the panel despite tweeting enthusiasm for being at the con. I think it's because of her PR team's no video recording policy for her panels. We've been discussing this for a few months now and one of the things we've talked about is waiting until this specific con to see if she's really as rude and condescending as the print reviews make her out to be. We wanted to pay attention to vocal inflections and facial expressions to see if it was all overblown. This is one of the few cons (if not the only) where her no video recording policy would not be allowed as all panels across the board are allowed to be filmed (absent trailer footage). Yet she wasn't at the panel for her own show. I think it's because they know how poorly she's coming across to the non-Laurel fans and didn't want to risk having a visual recording should she answer a fan question the way she has been. I also doubt Emily really had a last minute filming delay or general filming issues. It's a valid reason to be late or to cancel. However, they know just how beloved Felicity is and that the majority of those who made it to the panel would want to see her (she got a huge cheer last year, bigger than Amell as I recall) so I don't buy for one second that they'd risk upsetting fans with her absence with scheduling conflicts.

That's why I think this all comes back to Laurel. They are so determined to make her happen, despite failing to do so for almost fifty episodes, that they pull Katie from arguably her biggest PR opportunity AND pull the actress whose popularity eclipsed her from the start. Now they're saying that both will be at the DC event tomorrow but, as far as I know, they won't be speaking to fans the way they would in the panel itself. They've known the con dates for a year, they knew that a renewal would result in their return, and they knew their own filming schedule enough in advance to make sure that the show runners and star were available yet they leave out the most popular actress and the one playing their favorite character? No way is filming the real reason. Besides, you'd think they'd want Katie next to them so that they could go on and on about her "Emmy worthy performance" in person. No I think Katie wasn't there today because of the significant criticisms of the character and the poor reviews of her previous con appearances and that Emily wasn't there so that it would seem like they had a legitimate reason for Katie's absence.

I'm now very happy I didn't go to the panel (Orphan Black for the win!). Not only would

I not have seen Emily but my question would have been useless since it was designed for all the actors, especially Katie. Oh, well I am now the proud owner of about five thousand pictures of Tatiana Maslany's pretty face.

• Love 3

Willa's hilarious - I'm glad she's getting a meaty story of her own this year.

Ridiculously good-looking cast as always, even when they're pulling faces and larking around.

• Love 2

Mike Tyson is at comic con.

I don't think the "no video" thing is why she skipped considering she'll be there tomorrow. Perhaps the other cast won't be at teh WBTV panel (which I actually think will have less focus on Arrow and more on the other shows that didn't have panels)

(edited)

John Barrowman looks really good, glad he stopped to botox stuff it made him look too cartoony.

In that pic of him and willa, he kind of looks like Matt LaBlonc.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Mike Tyson is at comic con.

I don't think the "no video" thing is why she skipped considering she'll be there tomorrow. Perhaps the other cast won't be at teh WBTV panel (which I actually think will have less focus on Arrow and more on the other shows that didn't have panels)

I don't think the no video thing had anything to do with it either - she's attended other Comic Con panels. What's strange to me is that both her and EBR were missing. CL I get, if they don't have her locked-in long term. I'm glad Willa was there though - I like her and Barrowman together.

• Love 1

Hmm I'm thinking that KC wasn't there because EBR wasn't there either. If KC was there by herself the audience probably would've focused on her a bit more and bombarded her with questions she wouldn't be able to answer or just answer in the most unappealing way, thus causing mayhem in the Arrow fandom. With EBR, the focus would be taken off KC and more on EBR and Olicity and what's coming up for them because that's obviously the most popular part of the show (considering the season finale was all anyone could talk about the entire summer). 

As for EBR not being there, maybe the show is just being time efficient by shooting her scenes with Ray/Sara/flashback scenes? While it sucks for the people who are there, I'd rather the production crew get the time to actually shoot the scenes and make it perfect. 

(edited)

Maybe EBR genuinely couldn't be there yesterday because of the show's thoughtless production scheduling, and TPTB decided to have her appear tomorrow with KC and CL - to show how the three main (romantic) women on the show are pals who get along, as well as to avoid backlash from fans who would be surprised and disappointed by EBR's no-show at yesterday's panel.

Edited by tv echo

I think the drama would have been avoided if they announced it earlier. Some of these people were in line since 3-4 AM, some people even from foreign countries. So if they were looking forward to possibly meeting any of the 2 ladies. It was very poorly handled. And the majority people there still didn't know. Even WB was in the dark even 1 hour before the panel. 

• Love 1
(edited)

There are any number of reasons for either or both of them not to be there. Extra filming. Coming down with something. A family emergency. As much fun as the cons are for the fans and actors alike it's possible RL, which is far more important, may have intruded as it so often does. And that might not yet be known to the con people so they couldn't announce it or have been asked not to. If there IS more to it than that I suppose I could see KC pulling out (or being pulled out) if they thought the no cameras things was going to be an issue, though why that would so suddenly only occur to them makes that seem unlikely, but I doubt they would pull EBR from the same panel, since they only have three regular female characters and Willa, who I'm guessing IS there, won't even be on the show for a number of episodes.

Edited by KirkB
(edited)

Posted by guggenheim

BtgOz0dIAAAAiAr.jpg

BtgOmB1CIAA79QV.jpg

David just posted this: #OriginalTeamArrow is now complete.

Arrow cast including Caity:

BtgPn60CMAAFL2Z.jpg

Emily and Barrowman

BtgP5j1CEAAalCG.jpg

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 8

What are they doing in that last picture? LOL

I really like Willa's dress it's bery pretty and she looks great in all these pics.

Nice to see CL and EBR made it for pictures and some press interviews. David's tweet made me happy.

• Love 1

Orlando Jones says he gets star struck all the time, but he's kind of the ultimate fanboy, so that's to be expected.

Blackthorne's expression in that last pic is killing me. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I swear KC looks photoshopped into that pic. :). Also, Willa Holland is so beautiful. Gods. I am so looking forward to Thea and Malcolm's story

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

This cast is so adorable.  There are a couple of different versions of the crowd selfie, from different angles (I'm terrible at linking photos, but search #arrow on twitter and they'll pop up - the one above is Paul's, there's also one posted by David and I think I saw at least one more one from someone standing a ways away).  It's pretty damn cute.

(edited)

well it was announced as Arrow cast. And magical jacket was brought up yipee. Why would they try to sell it as Arrow cast when only Stephen, Katie, and Guggenheim there. 

Edited by Velocity23