Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I'm glad they're lightening the show up, but I'd be happier if someone told him to ditch the stupid Oliver thing. I'm still not pleased that he acts so proud of making his main character into an idiot for the sake of plot.

• Love 12

Please, please, please stop making Oliver stupid.  The problem, though, is that writing him as intelligent is tougher.  They want him to get to a certain point, and getting there in a way that doesn't require him to be stupid is far more difficult.  I mean he seriously would have short-circuited their season-long plan if he'd shown that he had any living, oxygenated brain cells in the fourth episode of the season.  I sincerely don't trust that these writers are intelligent enough to write him intelligently.

• Love 6

Please, please, please stop making Oliver stupid.  The problem, though, is that writing him as intelligent is tougher.  They want him to get to a certain point, and getting there in a way that doesn't require him to be stupid is far more difficult.  I mean he seriously would have short-circuited their season-long plan if he'd shown that he had any living, oxygenated brain cells in the fourth episode of the season.  I sincerely don't trust that these writers are intelligent enough to write him intelligently.

They basically went with Dumb Villain, Dumber Oliver.

• Love 1

SA's wife posted a great instagram pic of the two of them that she referred to as a wedding selfie.  Appears they are at Colin Donnell's wedding.  Awwwwww.

(edited)

A few additional MG posts at http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/...

molly2910 asked:

Marc, my daughter, age 6, has come home from school with her very first comic book. She's so excited to read it with her father tonight. What was the first comic book you ever read?

That’s so awesome.  I don’t remember my first comic.  I only remember being in my room flipping through a Superman comic.  My mother was surprised because I couldn’t yet read, but I told her I was just looking at the pictures.

smtabone asked:
Hi Marc, Another question, could we possibly get some more female friendships on the show? I loved seeing Laurel/Felicity, Nyssa/Laurel and Thea/Felicity start to interact in season 3. If anything, it made me adore these ladies even more and connect them all to team arrow further. Thank you so much and very excited for Season 4. Best of luck to you and your amazing team :)

Yup.  They’re on their way.

it-was-red-always asked:
This is probably too much of a spoiler but do you guys have already an idea for the end of the series? I mean do you already have a general plane, do you know how the characters will end up at the very end of the series? For Oliver do you plan on getting him married, since he is in the comic, and I'm not asking with whom, just if you thought about that ;) Love you and Arrow so much by the way, keep writing because your work it's awesome! *coff coff* Olicity! :P

Yes, we know what the final moments will be.

jd4299 asked:
Please get rid of Olicity. It's an unnatural abomination. You've ruined Felicity for people who liked her.

Sorry.

ogteamarrow asked:
Can we assume that after what was implied with Digg that he'd be the new leader of Team Arrow while Oliver and Felicity are away? Because it seemed like that was planted and frankly he's the only person that makes sense as a former special forces solider who served three tours and has been on Team Arrow the longest after Oliver. I hope you guys respect that part of his character in 4x01

I think you’ll be happy.

zomparellina73 asked:
Marc in the fourth season we'll see you again in action The Huntress?

I hope so!

eprobably asked:
Hey, Marc! Hope you are doing well! No questions. Just to let you know: I miss Oliver in a suit; Oliver on the island; and Arrow on air!

Well, we’ll fix at least one of those things come October.

almosttremendousturtle asked:
Hey Marc! I was re watching the Olicity date scene (because I love them!) when I saw something I didn't notice the first time I watched it. I have one question that may or may not be a spoiler. You see, I love Arrow and everything about it. Before the bomb goes off and Oliver says, "Well maybe I was wrong-" Felicity then says something like "Oliver I have to tell you-" but the bomb explodes. What was she going to say? It is now killing me! I need to know! It sounded urgent, so please help me! :)

Agh.  I wrote that over a year ago.  I have zero memory of what she was going to say.  I’m sorry.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

WM requested questions yesterday on twitter...

Wendy Mericle ‏@MericlesHappen  11h11 hours ago
Got #Arrow questions? I've got #ShowrunnerAnswers! Tweet me and I'll answer a few! #NoSpoilersThough

She then answered 3 questions before wrapping it up for the weekend:

-- Asked to describe S4 Thea in one word, WM replied: "Speedy..."
-- Asked how she prepares for a badass day working for Arrow, WM replied: "Coffee, chocolate, and wine...not necessarily in that order."
-- Asked what are the odds of one or more people breaking out into song sometime during this season - high, low, never, WM replied:  "On-screen: 0%.  But off-screen...100%!"

https://twitter.com/MericlesHappen/with_replies

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

almosttremendousturtle asked:

Hey Marc! I was re watching the Olicity date scene (because I love them!) when I saw something I didn't notice the first time I watched it. I have one question that may or may not be a spoiler. You see, I love Arrow and everything about it. Before the bomb goes off and Oliver says, "Well maybe I was wrong-" Felicity then says something like "Oliver I have to tell you-" but the bomb explodes. What was she going to say? It is now killing me! I need to know! It sounded urgent, so please help me! :)

Agh. I wrote that over a year ago. I have zero memory of what she was going to say. I’m sorry.

I thought she said "Oliver, are you..." saying you want to be with me?

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

I'm curious about Olicity ruining Felicity. How?

Looking at it from their perspective maybe they think that Olicity is the reason that: 

• Felicity's arc was mainly a romantic one (in their opinion)
  • She became more weepy/whiny/annoying
  • She became less funny
  • Felicity lost her 'spark' 
  • She became more selfish this season

I'm curious about Olicity ruining Felicity. How?

Makes her cry, makes her weak, Ray treated her better, she's not funny anymore, etc. Olicity is often blamed for Felicity not having her own storyline this year and for making her character all about a guy, but people that say that often ignore that it was actually in the Raylicity storyline that she acted like a pod person.
  • Love 9

Makes her cry, makes her weak, Ray treated her better, she's not funny anymore, etc. Olicity is often blamed for Felicity not having her own storyline this year and for making her character all about a guy, but people that say that often ignore that it was actually in the Raylicity storyline that she acted like a pod person.

Yep and the people who said Ray treated her better didn't see 317 it seems he was such a dick

• Love 4

Taking my reply to the relationships thread.

I really hope that Sakura12 doesn't ever watch this con because she'd definitely be pissed :p I got this off of my twitter feed so I don't know if she actually said this. But if she did, oooh boy

Q: "Who would [win between] WC/BC?"
KC: "At this point it would be a pretty fair match, because I've had a lot of training the past 2 years."

• Love 2
(edited)

At this point WC is a decayed body so I'll give her that but Lol other wise....

Ah but Sara isn't WC yet. She'll only become WC after she's resurrected ;) So really, it'll probably be a fight with a resurrected Sara and Laurel.

Also, to anyone who watched it, did she actually say Laurel's been training for 2 years? A few months yeah, but years? I really hope she didn't say years. 

Edited by wonderwall
: "Who would [win between] WC/BC?"

KC: "At this point it would be a pretty fair match, because I've had a lot of training the past 2 years."

LOLOL oh gods. No. Just no. A dead WC would beat a live BC. That's just silly.

• Love 4

I don't understand the two years comment. It was just a few months and even if you add the hiatus, that is still less than a year. Unless she counts previous seasons, but that would be three years. Maybe she meant 'I' as in KC and not Laurel and her as in Caity. In which NO.

I was checking a couple Twitter feeds. She said a spinoff with her as BC would be awesome and she doesn't seem to know anything about S4.

• Love 4

I was checking a couple Twitter feeds. She said a spinoff with her as BC would be awesome and she doesn't seem to know anything about S4.

Hmm It seems like the only people who know about this season are Stephen and David. I don't think Willa, Emily, or KC know about S4 just yet? 

(edited)

Here are some excerpt from KC at Sacramento Comic Con --

Q: "What’s going to happen in season 4?"
KC: “I don’t know. I’m sorry, I wish I could tell you more. I mean, I know a few things but I can’t tell you.” 

At the start of the panel she commented that she too wants to know what's going on, that she's harassing (said jokingly) the producers and writers to find out, who tell her to wait until the script comes up.

Coming up season 4, Laurel has been training. KC too in real life has been training. Laurel will be more "polished". "Oliver's not around and somebody sort of has to [step up and] take that place". She doesn't exactly know but feels that it's time to step up to the plate, "without [Oliver] I think [Team Arrow] will still be able to make it happen".

When asked about how she felt about Sara becoming the Canary before she became Black Canary, KC said she knows it's television and things happen. She was "definitely a little bummed out" that "all of a sudden there was my sister as the Canary", but she thought she would be real classy and not say anything and keep a smile on my face. She feels there's "a journey for my character - I feel like I've been all over the place, the poor thing", but she thought they wrote [it and Laurel] really well. Laurel had to earn it, "couldn't all of a sudden one day become the Black Canary".

When asked if she actually screams when doing the Canary Cry, KC said "the beauty of it is that it's actually just like a scream". When shooting "I need to have a voice, and, after take 12 I wouldn't have a voice, and I wouldn't have hearing either..." KC demonstrates how she does the Canary Cry: it's basically a voiceless hiss/gasp. She mentioned they do then "looping and ADR later on to modulate and change it”.

Q: "How do you focus on your role [with so many good looking men around]?"
KC: "They’re not too hard on the eyes, I guess… I think that, I don’t know, we do become like family, they’re really good friends, they’re like my friends, it’s kind of creepy to think of them that way. … “They’re pretty good looking I guess.”

KC thinks a spin-off with Black Canary would be "awesome"; "I think it would be cool to do Birds of Prey". She pointed out with her playing Black Canary.

When asked who would win in a fight between White Canary and Black Canary, KC said something I can't remember, but also “At this point it would be a pretty fair match, because I've had a lot of training the past 2 years.”

KC says John Barrowman is the biggest prankster on set. "I love him and I hate him so much."

ETA: There was a cute part where it turned out KC knew an audience member's grandmother, and KC went down to hug the audience member.

Sorry it's so messy.

Edited by Soulfire
  • Love 4

I wonder if she added when Arrow is over or if she was like That's Do it Now. I have a guess.

Maybe SA got an advanced copy of 4.01 or KC didn't want to read it on her vacation (she mentioned leaving Hawaii for the con).

• Love 1

OK, I might just have a small crush on Antonio Negret, who directed "The Fallen." He's been tweeting and retweeting links to the E! Online Best. Ever. TV. Awards for Olicity-related polls. And recently he posted this photo on instagram with the hashtag #TypicalOlicityFan (a campaign to show how diverse the fandom is). The cynic in me goes, well, that's just being smart on social media. But I have to admit, I'm tickled pink.

• Love 10

So I guess Diggle can't be the one to "step-up" and lead Team Arrow......at least that's what I'm getting from KC's comments about BC having to step up since Oliver is gone.  Or maybe she just counts people with a mask. 

So I guess Diggle can't be the one to "step-up" and lead Team Arrow......at least that's what I'm getting from KC's comments about BC having to step up since Oliver is gone.  Or maybe she just counts people with a mask. 

Trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, I think she meant the entire team has to step up? But in this case, Diggle doesn't have to take as big of a step as Laurel or Thea. 

• Love 1

Well MG was asked a question on tumblr whether Diggle will become the leader of TA and he answered "I think you'll be happy" Or something like that. So it's safe to say Diggle will be the rightful leader of the team. 

• Love 5

Imo there is only one member of team Arrow left. If Diggle doesn't take lead, this is just A messy Black Canary team with side kick Speedy and part time Johnny Guns.

• Love 3

I wonder if she added when Arrow is over or if she was like That's Do it Now. I have a guess.

Maybe SA got an advanced copy of 4.01 or KC didn't want to read it on her vacation (she mentioned leaving Hawaii for the con).

SA gets advanced copies of the scripts or at least the premier script. He also gets copies of episodes (same copies that get sent to EP/Network/DC). KC gets her scripts along with the rest of the cast, so, 1.5-2 weeks from now.
(edited)

Here are some excerpt from KC at Sacramento Comic Con --

When asked who would win in a fight between White Canary and Black Canary, KC said something I can't remember, but also “At this point it would be a pretty fair match, because I've had a lot of training the past 2 years.”

I'm guessing she's referring to her stunt double here, because otherwise, I have to assume she's never paid attention to Caity Lotz's fight scenes.  This isn't intended to knock KC, but there legitimately is just no contest there if comparing both actresses' fighting skills. 

Edited by catahoulamama
  • Love 3
When asked about how she felt about Sara becoming the Canary before she became Black Canary, KC said she knows it's television and things happen. She was "definitely a little bummed out" that "all of a sudden there was my sister as the Canary", but she thought she would be real classy and not say anything and keep a smile on my face.

I do understand that she was disappointed (who wouldn't be, when something you believe in doesn't pan out) and I'm sorry for her, but I have to say that I only saw the smile when Sara got the shaft and Laurel the jacket.

• Love 9
(edited)

This is just odd random musings, but its interesting KC referred to bring Sara in as its television and things happen (and she had previously said, the EPs set her down to explain Sara coming on). This forum has already discussed how weird it was for them to bring in Sara as a full-formed BC if the desire was to turn Laurel into BC. How do you get the reasoning on that? Then when they do go with Laurel, they throw all logic out the window to make it happen as quickly as possible. Instead of giving the story time to evolve, she gets a couple scenes of training (3x03ish, 3x05, 3x06) and then her sisters mask in 3x10, her Big Damn Hero moment in 3x11, the official baton passing in 3x13. Also, she was absent or barely present in some of those in-between episodes (3x01/3x07/3x08) and in some of the episodes where they were laying the groundwork (3x05/3x10). They turned what should have been at the very least a season long arc into a superficial, lightening fast evolution that is completely at odds with show and the other character's stories. 

I'm wondering if there was some kind of BTS working to get BC on the show in one way or another and keep her on. That would kind of explain bring Sara back in S2 and then not allowing the show to go long with out a BC in S3. 

Like I said, its odd ransom musings and the answer is probably more along the lines of the EPs not knowing how to handle BC origin story on a show called Arrow. And them overestimating how clever they are. Trying to make sense of this arc is really hard. lol

ETA: In regards to SA and DR being the ones who seem to have any idea what is going on in S4, it makes sense. SA is the Lead and considering how vocal DR is to the fans, I imagine he is more so with the EPs. My guess is he has spoken to them a lot about his character.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 8

I'm thinking that there was some BTS or contractual stuff that we don't know about because otherwise there is no explanation for why a character that wasn't working and for whom they had to find substitutes (Felicity, Sara), remains on the show while more popular characters like Tommy and Moira are killed off.  It's also her firm expectation that she would be the Black Canary (more than just being told when she was hired) and making Laurel into the BC when it would have made more sense to leave her a lawyer or make her into Manhunter.

I'd guess KC meant that the Black Canary needs to step up and lead the team because that's who the character is in the comics, a leader and a fighter.  Diggle isn't in the original comics.

I don't understand the two years comment. It was just a few months and even if you add the hiatus, that is still less than a year. Unless she counts previous seasons, but that would be three years. Maybe she meant 'I' as in KC and not Laurel and her as in Caity. In which NO.

I think she did mean herself. But she's only been training since season 2 ended according to her tweets, which would be 18 months.

When asked about how she felt about Sara becoming the Canary before she became Black Canary, KC said she knows it's television and things happen. She was "definitely a little bummed out" that "all of a sudden there was my sister as the Canary", but she thought she would be real classy and not say anything and keep a smile on my face. She feels there's "a journey for my character - I feel like I've been all over the place, the poor thing", but she thought they wrote [it and Laurel] really well. Laurel had to earn it, "couldn't all of a sudden one day become the Black Canary".

Boundaries, Katie, boundaries.  Telling the audience that she thought she would be classy and keep a smile on her face is just too much personal stuff.

• Love 8

I don't really think it was a question of the EP's not knowing how to do the BC origin story on Arrow, because if Sara was introduced the exact same way they did it on the show and SHE was and remained BC, that would have been a completely plausible origin story IMO.  It may not have matched comic canon (I have no clue what BC's canon is there), but I didn't question Sara's capabilities or level of superhero street cred like has been done with Laurel's. Sara was presumed dead and showed up years later with all kinds of crazy skills. Just.Like.Oliver. I didn't have a problem buying the origin story for either of them....I guess maybe the magic is in having a window of time (several years) to gain that training and knowledge and it's NOT done in front of the audience.

• Love 14