Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: We're Going to Dance!

• Start Topic

Teams of pairs race around Canada, through its urban centres to its most-remote outposts.

ETA: Teams travel to Santiago, Chile, where tensions run high and racers fly higher. - ARC website!
Teams of pairs race around Canada, through its urban centres to its most-remote outposts.

That has to be the single most generic episode description of all time!

That is a really vague episode description -- on the Amazing Race Canada web site, the Episode 2 description is:

"Teams travel to Santiago, Chile, where tensions run high and racers fly higher."

• Love 1

That is a really vague episode description -- on the Amazing Race Canada web site, the Episode 2 description is:

"Teams travel to Santiago, Chile, where tensions run high and racers fly higher."

ARC needs to get on theTVDB! ;) I'll add this to the top. 

• Love 1

Oooo, Chile! And now I want to paraglide there. TAR makes my travel bucket list get longer!

Every year we get someone who can't swim, and someone who's afraid of heights. Have they actually seen the show, or are they randomly auditioning for every reality show hoping for their 15 minutes?

• Love 3

Possibly the same place that Bell FibreOp got their TV Desc writers, who decided that tonight the teams were going to "Santiago, Calif" tonight. :)

More thoguhts on the actual race in the morning. :)

Why in the world did the engaged couple just instantly hand over the express pass? They were in the first spot and knew it! They were the only team at the dancing and had just come from the express pass task. They only had to run over to the other task location and do the "emotion" one. All the other teams were behind them.

What a waste of an express pass. Do these 2 know you're allowed to do the other task? They didn't even consider or discuss it. They're so stupid.

• Love 2

Thank God for Jon Monty not wearing the Rapa Nui costume just for the sake of demonstrating a task: Phil Keoghan is by comparison a shameless manwhore for having posed shirtless on the show not once, but twice (scrawny in boxer-briefs to roided-up in jeans, respectively).

The tasks were uniformly superior to the last Santiago visit - it's a tie between the two-part Route Info* and the Emotion Detour as to which was the leg's best - the elimination of Bingo Actors Rowan/Shane that was only good in part because of the bigger-boned one calling a certain pink-haired legend the Devil in Spanish.

* With one caveat: the connection to Canada was so tenuous that this episode could've gone to Managua or Bogota and done an identical mural-search, colour-painting task with little effect lost.

• Love 1

Why in the world did the engaged couple just instantly hand over the express pass? They were in the first spot and knew it! They were the only team at the dancing and had just come from the express pass task. They only had to run over to the other task location and do the "emotion" one. All the other teams were behind them.

What a waste of an express pass. Do these 2 know you're allowed to do the other task? They didn't even consider or discuss it. They're so stupid.

They should have at least tried the other one! If they were having trouble, then use the pass. This will come back to haunt them

• Love 2

Yeah, that was probably the most irrelevant way ever of reminding us what a team does for a living. Might as well have been, "As a school teacher, I may or may not have the skills to be able to climb this rock wall." Or, "As a scientist, I asked the taxi driver to wait outside." Just really random, it was.

• Love 4

I find the editing still too frenetic, especially for the traditional folk dance segment. Also, I was worried the costumes would be too skimpy for the mature women in the cast, but they were quite modest. Not that I could figure out who was who.  This show is giving me a headache.

(edited)

Did the male police officer really say that taking a selfie is hard because as police officers they're not trained in taking selfies? 

I think they were joking. Thought it was very funny.    

I loved that shot of Nick and Matt in those costumes...awesome.  I like them a lot so far. I also like Brent and Shawn.  Not a fan of the dancers, though. 

I can't believe they used the express pass so soon!  

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 1

Another good episode. This is one hour on tv that just seems to fly by and I wish the show could be even just another half hour longer. I felt so bad for the lady police officers (from Nfld?) who had to climb up that mountain after their taxi dropped them off at the entrance. The shots of them went from daylight to darkness so it must have taken them a couple of hours. They sure earned their finish spot.

The dancing was pretty chaotic to watch. I disliked how there didn't seem to be set steps or specific choreography so it was hard to discern whether the teams were doing it right or not. What happened to Gino and Jessie? How did they bleed so much time that they went from first to almost eliminated. Just not having a taxi couldn't have cost them that much.

I still like Simi and Ope and will be cheering for them. Don't like the dancers or Brent and Shawn or the Italian couple although their facility with languages sure helped them this week and was pretty impressive.

• Love 1

I think the early eps seem frenetic because they have to include shots of all the teams in every episode, ideally doing each task for a second and some travelling. Ten teams (or more) in a 45-minute show, plus intros, task descriptions and location promos - means maybe three minutes per team. That's a lot of editing.

• Love 1

and how will you be paying for this? With my blah blah blah MasterCard that has blah blah blah - geez the product placement is very, very blatant. Who talks like this? I'm embarrassed on behalf of the contestants.

• Love 5
(edited)
and how will you be paying for this? With my blah blah blah MasterCard that has blah blah blah - geez the product placement is very, very blatant. Who talks like this? I'm embarrassed on behalf of the contestants.

I'm still curious why the product placement Mastercards weren't given to them in the first episode -- how did they pay for the ferry ride across the St. Lawrence river, or the cabs to the airport, or the flight to Toronto or the cabs around Toronto ?  Sure, the flights were probably pre-booked by the show, but the cabs and the ferry ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

What happened to Gino and Jessie? How did they bleed so much time that they went from first to almost eliminated. Just not having a taxi couldn't have cost them that much.

A series of unfortunate events [slow out of the airport and getting to the murals] and inauspicious choices [choosing the Emotion detour even though they'd earlier mangled the language, telling the cab driver to wait "one minute" on a street with no parking, thinking running was a better option than getting another cab, trusting a stranger who didn't know left from right].

They're pretty...but they're kind of dumb. 

• Love 3

Re: The Express Pass.  I get that he was not comfortable in dancing in that get up.  But THEY STILL HAD AN OPTION. So long you have a basic grasp of pronunciation and can memorize well, it doesn't hurt to try it first.  They are going to regret that move soon enough.

It was a good leg, but the Canada tie-in was flimsy at best.  "We're known to be helpers!"  Well, duh.  I thought the association was going to be we're the country that export the most wine from them.  

• Love 2

It was a good leg, but the Canada tie-in was flimsy at best.  "We're known to be helpers!"  Well, duh.  I thought the association was going to be we're the country that export the most wine from them.  

Precisely, which is why they could've flown to the capitals of Nicaragua or Colombia and done a similar selfie-ambassador two-part RI to the same effect.

(edited)

Did the male police officer really say that taking a selfie is hard because as police officers they're not trained in taking selfies?

And the wrestlers didn't know how to selfie because they're over the hill and out of the loop at 35. lol.

I think emotional reaction affected Hamilton and Michaela's decision-making there. I sympathise with Hamilton not being ready to strip down but they were focused on getting away from the costumes and not really thinking through the how. We're in store for a lot of super terrible problem solving this season, I'm starting to feel like.

I hate when people bully the locals but Simi and Ope really needed to speak up. Seemed like they lost a lot of time. Where did the taxi driver even think he was going?

Brent and Shawn are hilarious, and so are Dujean and Leilani albeit unintentionally. No mystery why they're broken up.

Edited by innocuouspuff
  • Love 3

And the weird thing is the link between Canada and Chile was so tenuous when (1) you don't really need a link at all and (2) "from the top of North America to the bottom of South America" was literally waiting to be made.

• Love 1
(edited)
Precisely, which is why they could've flown to the capitals of Nicaragua or Colombia and done a similar selfie-ambassador two-part RI to the same effect

I'm guessing they wanted to promote Air Canada's daily direct flights to Santiago (I'm going there in January and have been looking into flights). Those flights then go on to Buenos Aires, where they're going next week.

Edited by funkymunky
  • Love 2

.I'm guessing they wanted to promote Air Canada's daily direct flights to Santiago (I'm going there in January and have been looking into flights). Those flights then go on to Buenos Aires, where they're going next week.

True, and it's a relief that they can fly directly from Chile to Argentina via AC rather than having to take a bus through the Andes or needing to return to Toronto for a transfer.

Tangential thought: perhaps this episode should have been the premiere in order to go international right off the bat with the Toronto leg happening after the return from South America, a la last season's double-China visit switching places with BC times two. *

* The French two-parter was supposedly intended to be the opening and second legs.

• Love 1

Oh man, that was brutal. I agree; I felt so bad for both the desk agent and the racer who had to act out this absurd little script.

Although I also found the early use of the Express Pass a bit questionable, I wonder if they knew something we didn't about the location of the two tasks. If the other one was really far away, for example, maybe they figured it was best not to risk getting lost or stuck in traffic or whatever and completely burn their lead. And hey, at least they can be sure they won't be the bozos who get eliminated with the pass still in their hands.

And because I'm pretty sure I'm going to feel the need to say this pretty much every episode: shut up, Sabrina.

Although I also found the early use of the Express Pass a bit questionable, I wonder if they knew something we didn't about the location of the two tasks. If the other one was really far away, for example, maybe they figured it was best not to risk getting lost or stuck in traffic or whatever and completely burn their lead. And hey, at least they can be sure they won't be the bozos who get eliminated with the pass still in their hands.

Gino and Jesse ran from one Detour to the other, so it couldn't have been too far away. I'd guess it's easy to get caught up in the thought of winning a leg [and a holiday] and forget about the long term consequences.

The poetry task was basically a sucker bet task (the one team who finished it speaks fluent Spanish, and it's much harder to work out where you're messing up if you can't see what you're doing wrong), so between that and the completely plausible issues Hamilton would have had exposing his new body (especially since it's apparently common for surgeons to be more invested in male-to-female transitions than they are in female-to-male), it made perfect sense to me.

Of course Chile is in Europe.  Where do they find these people?

I always wonder that, particularly on TAR.  I mean... you're applying (in the US version certainly) for a race-around-the-world.  Surely you'd have a brief look at a map before heading off?  I could kind of understand it if they told them to fly to Djibouti or Timor Leste perhaps, but Chile?  Is not exactly a low profile destination.  Well, not if you've watched any TAR at least!

What a waste of an Express Pass by Hamilton and Michaelia so early in the race ?  Why didn't they just go do the other Detour ?

That dancing Detour looked a lot tougher than the poetry recital.

I couldn't understand why more teams didn't try the language detour.  I thought Hamilton and Michaelia should have at least had a look at it before opting to go the EP route - although I suppose they did guarantee themselves first place and a trip, so I guess that could have been the main motivation.  I can kind of see that... but I think I'd still have tried the other option and kept the pass in reserve.

That made me laugh out loud.  Best comment of the night.

The poetry task was basically a sucker bet task (the one team who finished it speaks fluent Spanish, and it's much harder to work out where you're messing up if you can't see what you're doing wrong), so between that and the completely plausible issues Hamilton would have had exposing his new body (especially since it's apparently common for surgeons to be more invested in male-to-female transitions than they are in female-to-male), it made perfect sense to me.

Given there were only two teams who attempted it, and one gave up really easily I'm not sure it was a sucker bet task.  I think they could have at least tried it.  I had no problems with not wanting to get in that costume - my fantasy race partner and I both agreed there was no way we were doing that half of the Detour, and we were home on the couch! ;-)

• Love 1