Type keyword(s) to search

Det. Rosa Diaz: [Piercing Stare]

• Start Topic

Does Boyle's engagement really mean the end of the Rose-Boyle chase? Did the writers move on or is this a bump in the road? I think I'm good with it being a done thing.

Agreed - I just don't think they're a match that's all that compelling. You can practically see the jokes they'll write around that couple if it ever happens. And I've enjoyed Boyle a lot more as a character now that he's got a suitable match and is legitimately happy. I think he's a more interesting character when he's allowed to win on occasion, and when his weird interests are given respect by another character.

Having said that, his statement a few episodes ago when he was on drugs suggests to me that Boyle-Rosa is definitely going to happen at some point.

• Love 1

I hope we get more Rosa and her back-story next season, because right now, I do feel like she's the most under-developed of the characters.

Until then though, I just love all her facial expressions, one-liners, her "darkness" (I wonder just what kind of weapons she has in her house...), and the way she baffles the rest of the cast.  I did like the stuff in "Pontiac Bandit", about her and Jake being in the academy together, and all her scenes with Holt in "Fancy Brudgom."  That "I'm sorry" exchange was one of the best, but I liked that Holt sees leadership material in her, but see just needs to know there is a difference between being tough and being cruel. And while I hated Boyle's "obsession" with her in the earlier episodes, I actually really dig their friendship in the later episodes.

• Love 1

I think we've seen enough of Rosa to see she does have a soft side, even if she keeps it hidden. She's gone out of her way to help out Charles more than once, she was genuinely hurt by Peralta reneging on their agreement in The Pontiac Bandit, she was also a little hurt when she thought Amy held a low opinion of her in Sal's Pizza.

But she does have a hard shell, and I think it's okay for it to stay that way. Even when they do (hopefully) develop her backstory more, I would like them to just show that she's intimidating and scary and short tempered because she is. Because that's her natural personality.

In the 'straight man pecking order' that I think this show has, I don't think Rosa quite fits in, though. In all the character combos, I think different characters get the opportunity to be goofy, and then to be the straight man. Except for Holt, who is the ultimate straight man (the ultimate gay straight man?). Rosa is kind of with Holt, in that she's not had anyone to let her be goofy yet. I'm not sure how that would work, but it'd be interesting to see.

• Love 2
(edited)

I like Rosa and Boyle but I was always put off by his pursuit of her. The lady said no, dude. So, STOP.

Once they stopped that and developed them as close friends, I was much happier. Hell, down the road I might not mind if they hook up except that I fear it reinforces that "ignore the woman's no...she'll come around!" trope, which too often is dangerous in real life.

I still find myself laughing about when she told Amy what she looks for in a man: "you know...real stuff...like a good ass". I hear that, lady! ;)

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 4

What I'd love to see is them going out on a date, getting about ten minutes into it, and then both going, "This is weird, isn't it? Do you want to not do this? 'Cause I want to not do this. Okay. See you at work."

I love Rosa so much. She is my favorite of the detectives. Her delivery and looks never fail to crack me up. I'm super thrilled that she is head of the task force. She and Terry working together was great fun. I would love to see more of her personal life just because I'm curious to see what the writers would come up with. I like that as they have shown her "softer side" they haven't given up that she is still a kick ass lady.

• Love 2

Random shallow moment time:

Ever since the beginning of this season I've noticed there's been something different in Rosa's look. At first I'd thought she had more makeup on, but looking back it's not really that much more than the first season. I had the hardest time figuring out what it was and then last night it hit me - her lipstick. I'm not sure if she's not wearing any now or if she's wearing a different color but I kinda wish she'd go back to what she wore in season 1 cause she can totally rock the brighter lipstick look.

And end shallow moment time. 

Stephanie Beatriz returned this week to Modern Family as Gloria's sister Sonia(she appeared previously before B99) and it's amazing how different she is in that role.

I actually thought "they got a new actress" - she looked so different

• Love 1

I was very impressed by her ability to portray two such different characters, but what really astounded me was that Sonia seemed so slight physically and Rosa seems towering.

I've not watched Modern Family in a while, and I'm not sure I've even seen an episode with Stephanie Beatriz in it. But from those gifs, it looks like it's partly her posture and mannerisms, which is a nice bit of acting. But also the fact that Sofia Vergara is pretty amazonian.

I might have to watch it though, because her wearing that red dress has aroused my interest. For science, you know?

Regarding Rosa herself, I like that they're softening her just a touch, with this Marcus relationship. It's nice to see her becoming a real girl, in some ways, while still remaining very much the Rosa Diaz that scares the crap out of everyone including Terry Jeffords. I really enjoyed her laughing at Jake having called himself 'The Slug'.

One thing that I like about the actress, that ends up bleeding into Rosa, is that she clearly finds what goes on around her funny (especially when she's with Chelsea Paretti, but I also see it in her scenes with Andy Samberg) and can't keep the smile off her face even when she's supposed to. It makes Rosa seem a little less surly when she's genuinely smiling in the background - in the most recent episode, I noticed her smiling (as opposed to smirking) when Jake and his dad were telling that "emergency landing" story, and then again when Gina was taking Amy's picture.

There's just something that always tickles me about seeing actors who genuinely enjoy what's going on around them and can't hide their smile, even when they aren't supposed to be laughing.

(edited)

After the subject of Stephanie's real voice came up in the episode thread, I've been watching stuff with her on Youtube, and she has a podcast with her best friend. (Melissa Fumero was the guest on the first one.) I'm loving how different Stephanie is from Rosa. Makes her performance that much more impressive seeing how the real her is the complete opposite of Rosa. (She also talks about being cast on the show early in the video.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfL4W59h-Us

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 2

On one of her podcasts, she talks about acting in the Ashland Shakespeare Company.  When I was in high school, before Joseph Papp started Shakespeare in the Park, the ASC was the best, the ultimate, in Shakespeare companies in the US, and it's still in the top 5.  That is so awesome!

I had missed b99 when the season started so I've been watching the first half of season five. My fave past time these days is after I watch an episode I look for a Stephanie Beatriz interview on yuotube because I love the difference in her Diaz voice and her real voice :D