Type keyword(s) to search

The Alias Reboot: If Not Now, When(nifer)?

Love it - and if a shorter season was embraced, it might make Lena Olin more amenable to reprising her role.  That would almost make up for the loss of Bradley Cooper to super-movie-stardom.

Regardless if this happens or not (which, it needs to, don't get me wrong), we just need Jennifer Garner back on our televisions. I don't know why some actors are better suited to tv than movies, but she is one of them. If not as Sydney Bristow, she should at least come back on a Shonda show.

• Love 1

Best idea I've heard in weeks! There is not nearly enough strong female ass kicking shows nowadays. I totally agree about both the pilot and the cliffhanger being the best of all time. As well as seasons 3-5 being un-canonized. Nick, if this happens because of you, you will be forever my hero.

• Love 1
(edited)

I almost can't believe what a good idea this is. It is not possible to have enough Victor Garber on my tv, and he was so sharp as Jack Bristow.

Oh, yeah, and Garner is good, too.

Edited by 5cents-worth

Created an account just to say how much I love this idea (Jack! Vaughn! Marshall! Dixon! Crazy wigs and spy gadgets!) - as long as Lauren stays dead (which she will, if Season 3 gets de-canonized), then I'm 100% in!

• Love 1

Totally agree this would be great for a reboot. And hell, yes, seasons 1 and 2 were phenomenal and then it didn't just go downhill, the show jumped off a frickin' cliff. (And this is not just on reflection - I thought it at the time.) What is it with JJ? He can do 2 amazing seasons (Alias, Lost) and then goes off on some bizarro supernatural tangent that ruins a great show.

• Love 1

Bradley Cooper did several guest appearances through the series after he was released from his contract. I'd imagine he was on good terms with JJ/Bad Robot and would guest or cameo should the series every resume (X-Files, Coach, etc). <br /><br />#6seasons&amovie

returning to one of the first shows he ever launched would be therapeutic for him and his fans

How about a revisit to Felicity too?  Either a "where are they now" or a whole new group of college kids?

I just want to ask Jennifer Garner one question: what was her first reaction when given a script that include the line "Quick-- to the F-150!"?

Oh my GAWD, I'd forgotten all about that. I remember I burst out laughing when I heard that line.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just want to ask Jennifer Garner one question: what was her first reaction when given a script that include the line "Quick-- to the F-150!"?

Whenever I see people bitching about product placement on the internet, I always flash back to that. 

The random mention of Taye Diggs makes me think he'd actually be pretty good in an Alias reboot.

Sloane is still at the bottom of that Rambaldi hole and immortal so there's no reason they couldn't bring him back but the show wouldn't feel right without SpyDaddy.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 3

Been thinking. I wonder if the magic would be lost, even if all the cast returned. Jennifer doesn't have time to shoot 20 hours a day, Marshall and Dixon should've moved on from Syd; logically speaking it would be weird seeing Marshall, now a seasoned family man, behaving the same way. 

However, a reboot would work if it accepts that our characters have moved on and so it wouldn't be the same show but at the same time allow other actors to take over the universe, just like Star Wars Awakens (I just had to make that reference didn't I?). Marshall and Dixon with a lot senior positions in the CIA, Syd a committed parent/English teacher, Mr Sark now directing mayhem (looking for Sloane??), etc. But other principal characters could then be created to take over the heavy lifting, with the specific onscreen blessings from the original cast. 24 came back and showed that it can be done.

• Love 1

Please let this happen! Because of the recent canon Alias episode (can't remember if it was inducted, don't care) I started re watching with my 10 year old son. SO GREAT. TOTALLY HOLDS UP. Ten year old can't wait till the next episode. Who can we beg/send red wigs in the mail?

• Love 2

I love this show, but...I'm ok if they don't bring it back, whether as a sequel or reboot. Let old shows stay gone, we don't need to recycle and bring back everything we enjoyed watching back in the day.

The Alias finale made me so angry, and so retroactively ruined the rest of the show for me, that it took years before I could tolerate watching even a clip of the show on YouTube or Vimeo from any of the earlier seasons.

I have read that some recent revivals of other shows have just plain ignored, disregarded or dropped & winked at the ways that they messed up their finales or their final seasons (as I have heard happened with Will & Grace (with dropping their kids and how they stopped being friends) or Roseanne (with having Dan die). 

If they did something similar on Alias, I would be interested; if they kept most of S5 canon, I would definitely not be.  I mean, Irina can be dead or whatever since Lena Olin was always difficult-to-impossible to get back for guest appearances, but a show without Garber or Rifkin?  Hard to imagine.  And the new characters from S5 whom I don’t care about, like ... I don’t remember their names other than Rachel(?)  and maybe Tom(???) .... can stay gone, if they even survived S5, which now that I think about it, that Tom guy got blown up on a subway, which is fine with me.

• Love 2
On 10/14/2018 at 12:07 AM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Yes, thank goodness Tom got blown up (plus Balthazar Getty looks way rough nowadays). Then again on Alias, no one’s really dead unless they’re Jack Bristow. 

Yeah, no, having recently re-watched, for the first time since it aired, the series finale, I'm not convinced Jack is dead.  After all, if Sloane could fall into the Rambaldi Juice of Eternal Rejuvenation down in that cave, there's no reason to think that Jack didn't do the same once he blew up the entrance to said cave.  Someone's got to keep an eye on Sloane for the rest of time.  Therefore, Jack would be alive in any reboot.  

• Love 1

If they're "rebooting" this, they should time travel - not literally! - to the past and do the Jack/Sloane/Irina era of the story. It would be interesting to see how Sloane got disillusioned by the CIA/ enraptured by Rambaldi, a young Irina and Elena training in the KGB, Katya in the military, and Irina eventually coming to the US and giving the assignment to seduce/marry Jack with Cuvee as her handler. And if it starts about 2 years before Sydney's birth, and there's a season a year until Irina is "killed"/exposed, we are looking at potentially 8 seasons of story! There's an incredible amount of back-story to mine and frankly, I'm more interested in knowing more about this stuff than watching Sydney's daughter become the second Chosen One. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ursula said:

If they're "rebooting" this, they should time travel - not literally! - to the past and do the Jack/Sloane/Irina era of the story.

I think that's the only way I would watch. New cast, somewhat new stories, same highspeed plotting.

7 hours ago, ursula said:

If they're "rebooting" this, they should time travel - not literally! - to the past and do the Jack/Sloane/Irina era of the story. It would be interesting to see how Sloane got disillusioned by the CIA/ enraptured by Rambaldi, a young Irina and Elena training in the KGB, Katya in the military, and Irina eventually coming to the US and giving the assignment to seduce/marry Jack with Cuvee as her handler. And if it starts about 2 years before Sydney's birth, and there's a season a year until Irina is "killed"/exposed, we are looking at potentially 8 seasons of story! There's an incredible amount of back-story to mine and frankly, I'm more interested in knowing more about this stuff than watching Sydney's daughter become the second Chosen One. 

I would absolutely watch a show about young Jack/Irina/Sloane. Only the casting would have to be amazing to live up to the older actors portrayal.

But I would miss Jennifer Garner if she wasn't in it. Her comments make me wonder if the "reboot" talk is meant to be a continuation like we've seen with Rosanne/Will and Grace, or a re-do, like with Charmed and Roswell.  I'm sure I would watch a total re-do with a new cast, for curiosity if nothing else. But it would be really hard to live up to the original.

• Love 6

Has any of the recent continuations lived up to the hype? I don't think any have. I'm thinking X-files or Gilmore Girls. I'd rather not have my good memories tarnished. It's enough to have to ignore the ending/most of last season, I don't need a reminder in a new show that is and isn't Alias.

So, I'd rather have a prequel with different actors. It keeps the universe and those rather compelling characters. And if they do, they better have actors of the caliber of Lena Olin, Victor Garber, and Ron Rifkin, because anything less would just be annoying and disappointing.

• Love 2

I think I'd prefer a sequel rather than a prequel.  We already know how it ends up, so unless, as others have said, a prequel could come up actors on par with Garber, Rifkin, Olin (frankly, the whole cast with few exceptions), it wouldn't be anywhere near as satisfying as the original.  A sequel at least moves forward, with new, unknown stories to be told.  It doesn't even have to be with Syd & Vaughn's kids - maybe it's Mitchell (Marshall & Carrie's kid) or one of Dixon's kids or Will's kid (assuming he has at least one kid with the lady he married in Wisconsin).  It's been so many years that someone like Rachel could be pretty high up in the CIA hierarchy.