Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: "I hate BLTs from Kelly's!"

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

That is probably the furthest thing from an UO as you can get here!

I've been seeing people online praising those crappy performances and autotuned singing ability. 

(edited)

Morgan was the perfect Sonny/Carly spawn.  He was an entitled and spoiled asshole.  He manipulated KiKi into staying with him so she could help him "get better".  This was after he held her hostage at gunpoint (to "protect" her) and got her shot in the chest on the docks.  Sonny and Carly also guilt tripped KiKi into staying with Morgan.  KiKi was clearly not happy with Morgan and stay with him out of a sense of obligation.  Ava was right,  Morgan was a danger to KiKi, it was just a matter of time.  I don;t condone Ava's actions but I do understand them.  In her mind, she did something desperate to save her daughter's life. 

Putting this over here because I sit at a lonely table.

Morgan might have sucked, but Kiki was a grown ass woman, and yet again, the show never explained why these two would get back together. That is the other canard with female/male dynamic that is often expressed: women are strong and independent, but if she is in an unhappy relationship, the guy must be manipulating her. It was the same bullshit shoved at me during Lucky's drug addiction. Kiki didn't have to listen to Carly or Sonny and Morgan was finally seeing a therapist, a real one unlike Franco "art therapy", so he would be helped by an actual adult . Ava's actions were dangerous and stupid. She would have been better off paying off a high end hooker to seduce Morgan and having Kiki catch him (as Ava wouldn't have been forgiven if she did it herself) than potentially endangering people like both of her daughters, Josslyn, Kristina, Molly, Bobbie, the people that clean Sonny's house and random strangers. If Kiki saw Morgan slipping, she would be more likely to stay with him, not less. It was mostly the reason she was dating him at the time. But if Morgan was caught cheating again, Kiki would break up with and might have pursued a relationship with Dillon, guilt free at that! Man Michael might also suck, but he needs to take custody of Avery again, he might have been the only adult that ever parented her.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, In2You said:

I don't find the Nurse's Ball cute or endearing. The red carpet is cheesy and the fact that it's supposed to be televised is a joke. You're telling me this ball with about 20 seats in the audience(half of which are filled by people who can't afford to donate to the hospital),and school talent show level performances and production values is so popular  people want to watch it on TV?  Where are the extras to play rich members of Port Charles society who are notable hospital benefactors beyond the ones of the main cast?

This cast doesn't really have any multi talented people who can sing, act, and dance well enough for me to watch them perform on stage. 

I always got second hand embarrassment even in the heyday of the 90s. I admit, I bemoaned losing the Nurse's Ball in the aughts, because JFP and Guza made so many shitty and mean spirited decisions during their tenure, getting rid of the Nurse's Ball seemed to be one of them, put now it looks like it might not of been all that wrong. Of course, it would have helped if they weren't keeping Tony Geary on for 1 mill for a 6 months of work and working a handful of actors well above their minimums. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

if she is in an unhappy relationship, the guy must be manipulating her.

That definitely goes both ways on this show. How many times has Sonny blamed his current bedwarmer for his problems? The writers have no idea how to write a relationship. If there isn't finger-pointing, there's behavior more befitting junior high schoolers. There's usually both. 

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

People here mostly hate it though. 

I do think it's great that they use it as a way to raise money and benefit AIDS research every year, but they can still do the latter every year without having an on air event, or if they do still want to address it on the show itself, have people at the hospital mention they're doing an AIDS fundraising drive or something during their scenes, and how they are trying to get other characters to help contribute to it, and maybe even running PSAs at the end of each episode until the drive is over, encouraging fans to donate themselves. That way, the real reason and spirit behind the tradition continues. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
(edited)
34 minutes ago, UYI said:

I do think it's great that they use it as a way to raise money and benefit AIDS research every year, but they can still do the latter every year without having an on air event, or if they do still want to address it on the show itself, have people at the hospital mention they're doing an AIDS fundraising drive or something during their scenes, and how they are trying to get other characters to help contribute to it, and maybe even running PSAs at the end of each episode until the drive is over, encouraging fans to donate themselves. That way, the real reason and spirit behind the tradition continues. 

Or even do a different kind of event. Like a hospital garden party or street fair. Many hospitals do those to raise money and they are casual and aren't expensive. So it would actually make sense for people who don't work at the hospital and don't have a lot of money to donate to be there. All they need are some food and game stands,  some extras walking around as patrons, and a live band. If they still want big sponsorship have them raffle gift baskets with their products.

Edited by In2You
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, In2You said:

Or even do a different kind of event. Like a hospital garden party or street fair. Many hospitals do those to raise money and they are casual and aren't expensive. So it would actually make sense for people who don't work at the hospital and don't have a lot of money to donate to be there. All they need are some food and game stands,  some extras walking around as patrons, and a live band. If they still want big sponsorship have them raffle gift baskets with their products.

A street fair would actually fit the show better imo.  Do it as a day street fair with a night thing on the docks.  Like a mini ball.  That was they still get the sponsorship, but don't eat the budget with stupid songs, etc.  Do maybe one musical performance, a speech, a magic act or whatever.  They don't need to go out with pop songs, etc.  Let the stories be front and center.  Let it be a soap opera.   Have Monica, Lucas, Griffin talking about hospital research, etc.   Do the reveals during this, not randomly on a weird throwaway conversation.  

Also, I have to admit.  I did not hate Patrick.  I think Jason Thompson is a great actor.  I just hated Patrina, and then SamTrick was ruined.  They had great flirty chemistry.  GH just always wanted to cuff up people instead of letting it develop.  Soap writers need to chill.  We're gonna watch if it's good enough.  

• Love 1

I have another round of unpopular opinions.

I hate back from the dead stories and I'm fine with killing off characters and keeping them gone. The characters never feel the same when they return and I find myself caring very little about them. And I'm left wondering whose body it was that they buried and why that person's family never came out of the woodworks. 

I never cared for Duke's return and though he and Anna had no chemistry.

I didn't care for SK returning as AJ either SK just comes across so smarmy and I felt like I was watching Deacon again. And while its bad they wrote all that stuff about AJ being fat in the dialogue SK did have some unflattering weight on him. He had it at Y&R too and we used to point it out all the time because when women on soaps start putting on the pounds their airtime decreases. But that double standard discussion is for another thread. 

I preferred Lindsey's Kristina to Lexi's Kristina. Lindsey played the character more like an adult versus the teen like version Lexi plays. I though she was more believable as mobster's daughter and as Alexis's first child who high standards were set for.  She didn't burst into tears at the drop of a hat and jump up and down and stomp her feet in a whiny tone too so that helped.

I'm glad that Avery was not Morgan's child and don't believe that making her Morgan's would've improved his character. 

I still don't care for Emme as Lulu. She plays Lulu the same way she played Abby and Lizzie and I didn't like her version of either of those characters. 

29 minutes ago, In2You said:

I didn't care for SK returning as AJ either SK just comes across so smarmy and I felt like I was watching Deacon again. And while its bad they wrote all that stuff about AJ being fat in the dialogue SK did have some unflattering weight on him. He had it at Y&R too and we used to point it out all the time because when women on soaps start putting on the pounds their airtime decreases. But that double standard discussion is for another thread. 

I don't know if I thought his AJ was smarmy but I didn't think he was that great. BW's AJ struck me as pretty smarmy though.

• Love 1

Also, I have to admit.  I did not hate Patrick.  I think Jason Thompson is a great actor. 

I'll join you at your table for this part of the UO.  Sometimes I still miss him.

• Love 5

I don't think liking Patrick was a UO, quite the opposite, in fact. It's possible that's a polarizing opinion, and there's a more fervent group of FUCK PATRICK fans out there than I realize, but I think he always had plenty of fans, and maybe plenty of detractors, I don't know. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

I don't know if I thought his AJ was smarmy but I didn't think he was that great. BW's AJ struck me as pretty smarmy though.

I think BW always had a caustic self- pitying bitterness that was totally justified but occasionally hard to sympathize with.

Having said that, I think BW is/was a better actor than SK, but I think SK had fantastic scene chemistry with the people in AJ's life. That's why I think he was such a loss. Carly, Michael, Monica, Skye, Sonny and Liz all had great chem with him and I think he probably would've managed a good dynamic with BM as well.

Plus, during the few months before RC killed him off again there was actual potential for story on the Q side of the canvas 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, UYI said:

I don't think liking Patrick was a UO, quite the opposite, in fact. It's possible that's a polarizing opinion, and there's a more fervent group of FUCK PATRICK fans out there than I realize, but I think he always had plenty of fans, and maybe plenty of detractors, I don't know. 

He had a lot fans. His haters are rare. Most, that I've seen, are Robin fans who thought he treated her badly. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, In2You said:

I hate back from the dead stories and I'm fine with killing off characters and keeping them gone. 

They've just gone to the well so often now that it's all just so meaningless.

I preferred Lindsey's Kristina to Lexi's Kristina. Lindsey played the character more like an adult versus the teen like version Lexi plays. I though she was more believable as mobster's daughter and as Alexis's first child who high standards were set for.  She didn't burst into tears at the drop of a hat and jump up and down and stomp her feet in a whiny tone too so that helped.

This.

4 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

Having said that, I think BW is/was a better actor than SK, but I think SK had fantastic scene chemistry with the people in AJ's life. That's why I think he was such a loss. Carly, Michael, Monica, Skye, Sonny and Liz all had great chem with him and I think he probably would've managed a good dynamic with BM as well.

I agree. SK had such great chem with everyone and that kind of chem is lacking in every type of relationship now, which is a big part of why the show is so dreadfully boring.

• Love 2
On 5/27/2017 at 11:20 AM, In2You said:

While I have a huge soft spot for Lexi's Kristina, I do have to say that I liked the fact that Lindsey was half Latina, as the character is supposed to be (via Sonny). That's the one thing about Lindsey that I put over Lexi, imo. 

• Love 2
On June 12, 2017 at 10:45 PM, teenj12 said:

While I have a huge soft spot for Lexi's Kristina, I do have to say that I liked the fact that Lindsey was half Latina, as the character is supposed to be (via Sonny). That's the one thing about Lindsey that I put over Lexi, imo. 

Sonny is only half Latino (and MB initially tried to play Sonny as non-Latino) so Alexis' daughter not being 'half' never bothered me (as a side-note, I miss her acknowdgling that Sonny is a horrible person who shouldn't be condoned). 

I do wish that this show had greater diversity, though; it seemed, at one point, that they were only hiring white blonde women (I complained about it in this thread at the time because it was getting ridiculous), and I don't think it would kill them to have an Asian or Latina actress (especially outside of the mob black hole that sucks everything in).

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Lobsel Vith said:

I do wish that this show had greater diversity, though; it seemed, at one point, that they were only hiring white blonde women (I complained about it in this thread at the time because it was getting ridiculous), and I don't think it would kill them to have an Asian or Latina actress (especially outside of the mob black hole that sucks everything in).

They need some kind of WoC for Michael to offset his blandness. He's terrible with Lauren and Nelle - they both look like they should be related to him.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Lobsel Vith said:

Sonny is only half Latino (and MB initially tried to play Sonny as non-Latino) so Alexis' daughter not being 'half' never bothered me (as a side-note, I miss her acknowdgling that Sonny is a horrible person who shouldn't be condoned). 

Rick is supposed to be half and Ric Hearst is not, Alcazar was supposed to be completely  and Ted King wasn't. GH doesn't have the best track record with diverse casting. However they were always promoting Sonny as latino during Hispanic history month and whenever they were called out on lack of diversity. Yet all those women and all Sonny's kids had to be with white women so they could cast white actors. They could fill those roles with actors who are mixed. If they still want white looking there's plenty of actors in California with partial latino ancestry who fit the description. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Lobsel Vith said:

I do wish that this show had greater diversity, though; it seemed, at one point, that they were only hiring white blonde women.

Tiny brunettes were their main thing for awhile, too. 

• Love 2

The little I saw of them, I liked Nathan and Amy. They reminded me of Nathan and Maxie when they were fun. Brooke Lynn should come back. I might actually watch for that. And I like Valentin when he's not blubbery, but no more hero crap, especially not with the town hit man.

• Love 4
(edited)

Bringing this back because of the return of the REAL (I guess?) brain damaged hitman:

Steve Burton is not physically attractive to me. AT ALL. He has the face of a cigar store Indian, and when he was skinnier his spiky hair made him look like a human pencil. His roided muscles and terrible greasy haircut circa 2007 only added to the horror. Add in the fact that he's continuing to exploit people with Amazon scams now that Monavie is no more, and that makes for some pretty butt ugly insides, too. I can't see any attraction there at all. HARD pass. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, UYI said:

Bringing this back because of the return of the REAL (I guess?) brain damaged hitman:

Steve Burton is not physically attractive to me. AT ALL. He has the face of a cigar store Indian, and when he was skinnier his spiky hair made him look like a human pencil. His roided muscles and terrible greasy haircut circa 2007 only added to the horror. Add in the fact that he's continuing to exploit people with Amazon scams now that Monavie is no more, and that makes for some pretty butt ugly insides, too. I can't see any attraction there at all. HARD pass. 

Nothing you listed is an unpopular opinion on here

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, UYI said:

Steve Burton is not physically attractive to me. AT ALL. He has the face of a cigar store Indian, and when he was skinnier his spiky hair made him look like a human pencil.

I used to call him "Rodent Face." Not particularly clever - not like "human pencil," hee! - but it fit him.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, In2You said:

Nothing you listed is an unpopular opinion on here

I can never tell anymore. I still see the odd person every once in awhile call him hot. To each their own, I guess. 

1 hour ago, Star Aristille said:

What?!  He's scamming people?!

Monavie was a pyramid scheme, and apparently whatever he's switched to now is, too. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't think the supplements are a pyramid scheme since they're being sold through Amazon. They're just a dumb ripoff.

Ah, okay.

He earned a permanent side eye from me over that, though, as did Natalia Livingston and Michael Saucedo (which makes me wonder how Becky felt about the whole thing), and any of the other cast members involved with it back in 2007-2008. They actually were offering Monavie in exchange for spoilers at Fan Club Weekend one year! Gross. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, UYI said:

Ah, okay.

He earned a permanent side eye from me over that, though, as did Natalia Livingston and Michael Saucedo (which makes me wonder how Becky felt about the whole thing), and any of the other cast members involved with it back in 2007-2008. They actually were offering Monavie in exchange for spoilers at Fan Club Weekend one year! Gross. 

I remember that. Surprised ABC didn't fire anyone for that little stunt. Makes me respect Ingo's open letter about the whole Monavie crap all the more.

• Love 4
On 7/5/2017 at 4:54 PM, UYI said:

I think he looks worse because of the insistence that Jason live in black tees and jeans.  He reminds me of a busted up adult Ponyboy from The Outsiders that didn't stay golden.   He looked way better on Y&R because he dressed like an adult male living in this decade.   

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Chairperson Meow said:

he dressed like an adult male living in this decade.   

There are so, so many things wrong with GH, but one thing I think they get right is character's wardrobes. There are some particular choices that are head scratchers, of course, but overall I think everyone dresses pretty accurately for their jobs/life situations. We even see them repeat stuff. I know that's probably due more to FV being a cheapskate, but it's realistic.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

There are so, so many things wrong with GH, but one thing I think they get right is character's wardrobes. There are some particular choices that are head scratchers, of course, but overall I think everyone dresses pretty accurately for their jobs/life situations. We even see them repeat stuff. I know that's probably due more to FV being a cheapskate, but it's realistic.

Majority of these characters have money and I find that the wardrobe looks very cheap and ugly

• Love 2
5 hours ago, In2You said:

Majority of these characters have money and I find that the wardrobe looks very cheap and ugly

Yes!  Maxie is supposed to be this young fashionista, but sometimes is styled terribly.  Also, Sam running around everywhere in stilettos.  

That's what happens when ratings go in the crapper and the budget rivals that of an elementary school play. Still, I agree that one can find nice clothes on a budget. This show doesn't even try anymore.

• Love 4
On 7/7/2017 at 3:19 PM, Chairperson Meow said:

Yes!  Maxie is supposed to be this young fashionista, but sometimes is styled terribly.  Also, Sam running around everywhere in stilettos.  

KeMo does love her shoes.

• Love 2
On 7/7/2017 at 3:48 PM, WendyCR72 said:

That's what happens when ratings go in the crapper and the budget rivals that of an elementary school play. Still, I agree that one can find nice clothes on a budget. This show doesn't even try anymore.

Liz has the best clothes, best hair, but worst on screen love interests. 

• Love 1

I still miss Finn and Tracy. I don't miss GH (surely that's not unpopular) but before Jane left, I thought Finn and Tracy was one of the best things about this stinking show.

I wouldn't watch a whole hour of them every day, but a whole hour of them  once or twice a week would have been awesome. Oh well. Maybe Anna and Finn will be just as good.
LOL......NO. 

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, Chairperson Meow said:

I don't like Steve Burton..... but I'm so bored with this show that I want them to do the reveal already. 

Gosh I just cut it off when Jane left, as far as keeping up with it or watching it. It was like having a third arm amputated. I don't miss it, and life is less awkward without it.

With the cries to make Billy Miller the new "A.J" starting to surface, I am stil firmly in the camp of not wanting Miller to get that role. Half the reason is that I think he is too young, half the reason is spite. Both Billy Warlock and Sean Kanean worked their asses off to make their put upon - yet interesting-characters, only to be back burned for no good reason, then eventually killed off (twice). Of course, they would work over time to make Miller's AJ work.

• Love 5
On 10/22/2017 at 6:03 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

With the cries to make Billy Miller the new "A.J" starting to surface, I am stil firmly in the camp of not wanting Miller to get that role. 

You can sit next to me.

In addition to the age and the irritating favoritism, Miller has crap chemistry with Michael, anti-chem with Sonny and his onscreen chemistry with Carly, which along with Michael was one of his more important relationships, is blah at best. It certainly does not compare to the fantastic scene chemistry SK/LW had together. 

Plus, Billy Miller seems to have defaulted to the "Billy Abbot" little brother/goofy uncle persona, possibly due to lack of better direction, and it's just as inappropriate for AJ as it was for Jason. And, while BM seems nice, and did great work on Y&R, he hasn't had the kind of writing or delivered the kind of performance that should have an EP bending over backwards to keep him. 

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

In addition to the age and the irritating favoritism, Miller has crap chemistry with Michael, anti-chem with Sonny and his onscreen chemistry with Carly, which along with Michael was one of his more important relationships, is blah at best. It certainly does not compare to the fantastic scene chemistry SK/LW had together. 

Excuse me while I go find the clips of Carly cutting her hair/AJ making her believe they slept together for the 100th time.

• Love 4
On 10/23/2017 at 7:12 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Excuse me while I go find the clips of Carly cutting her hair/AJ making her believe they slept together for the 100th time.

I will forever hate Uncle Frank, MB, and who the fuck ever else decided CarNAJ shouldn't be a thing. Fuckers. 

I loath Steve Burton. I absolutely HATE that TPTB kowtowed to his demands. Between the Monavie thing and now the acai drink or whatever, I think he's an arrogant, mediocre asshole and I am so very sick of those traits being rewarded. Not to mention that 'the mob' as portrayed on GH went the way of cassette tapes a long, LONG time ago. This is the longest I have ever not watched some kind of daytime soap since I was a kid. And I lay the blame directly at showrunners like FV and Mal Young over on YR. Fuck them and their sorry ass story telling. 

Sorry, dear posters. I woke up in a no fucks given mood this morning....

• Love 9
On 7/8/2017 at 8:21 PM, Chairperson Meow said:

Liz has the best clothes, best hair, but worst on screen love interests. 

True, but it seems like TPTB do that because they just want her to be the perpetual 'attempted-Jason-stealer' in the "Grand Love Story of Jason and Sam." I refuse to watch Liz scenes with Franco. *Shudder* I am hopeful that the return of SBu's Jason means that eventually, Franco will be out of Liz's life.  My best-case scenario: Jakeson/Drew starts to feel like an outsider, thinking maybe he and Sam don't belong together as people are just so thrilled that Sonny and Carly's servant Jason is back.  Jakeson/Drew leans on the first person who cared for him in Port Charles - Liz. He and Jake are close, and he somewhat reconnects with Cam and Aiden. A rivarly develops: Jason/Sam/Jakeson-Drew/Elizabeth/Franco.  In time, Jakeson/Drew and Liz seem to want to spend time together aside from just talking about how to take care of Jake in the Jason v. Jakeson/Drew mess.  Franco is determined that he is the man for Liz and rationalizes that he is the best for Jake, so he tries to kill Jakeson/Drew and gets caught. Liz is horrified, seeing the evidence and/or security-camera footage, tells Franco he can't justify or talk his way out of this one, and is completely done with him as he gets carted off to prison. Jakeson/Drew and Liz get back together; he co-parents Scout with Sam and does his best to ignore Jason's glares (because despite the fact that Jason was first to have a child with another woman, he is nothing if not a hypocrite).  Jakeson/Drew would absolutely be a better father to all 3 of Liz's kids than Jason ever could be. 

I'm beginning to like Dr. Finn McBain with Anna.  The writing for them has improved and it appears to be heading to a slow build rather than insta-love.  I also appreciate the snark, something that's been sorely missing from GH for awhile.  

• Love 2

I don't get this show's fascination with Jason Morgan and Sam McCall. Not as a couple, and not as separate characters. Sure, they have fans-but there are fans of anything if you look hard enough. There are people who are fans of actually EATING roadkill. It doesn't mean it's a smart, logical, GOOD decision. I find both of them to be complete and utter bores. I find both Kelly and Steve and Billy TBH, to all be low energy, unexciting, not very talented actors-to be nice about it.  And yeah I'm on a tear about SBu and I will be for a while because I see a crappy show just going back in the direction it was in during the Guza years. That's not a good thing. I also think several people who recently got canned or got put on recurring(RPW) were done that way to be able to pay for SBu.  If he were a great actor, and JaSam were remotely interesting, I could understand it, even if it would still irritate me just as much. But, he's not even "good". He and a block of wood onscreen ? SAME. And JaSam ? Uh, never got their appeal, and never will. Two blocks of wet wood. THRILLING. As was said just up above about ME's females co stars doing the heavy lifting-there is NO ONE in a Kelly/Billy or Kelly/Steve scene CAPABLE of doing heavy lifting. And that says it all for me.

And I'm not all that sure that any of this is a truly unpopular opinion, TBH.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 5
On 10/26/2017 at 6:51 AM, Badsamaritan said:

I will forever hate Uncle Frank, MB, and who the fuck ever else decided CarNAJ shouldn't be a thing. Fuckers. 

I loath Steve Burton. I absolutely HATE that TPTB kowtowed to his demands. Between the Monavie thing and now the acai drink or whatever, I think he's an arrogant, mediocre asshole and I am so very sick of those traits being rewarded. Not to mention that 'the mob' as portrayed on GH went the way of cassette tapes a long, LONG time ago. This is the longest I have ever not watched some kind of daytime soap since I was a kid. And I lay the blame directly at showrunners like FV and Mal Young over on YR. Fuck them and their sorry ass story telling. 

Sorry, dear posters. I woke up in a no fucks given mood this morning....

Carly and AJ - blame Cartini and Laura for that one. They were all desperate for a pairing with RoHo at the time. 

On 11/1/2017 at 0:00 PM, dubbel zout said:

I think ME and FH have good chemistry, but ME's characters historically have been very passive love interests. The women do all the heavy lifting. I'm not sure that will change.

IMO he has flopped every single pairing he's ever been in and he's been given some of the greatest actresses in Daytime to work with - KDP, REG, GT, SH, etc. on OLTL and he stunk them all up. 

• Love 1