Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: "I hate BLTs from Kelly's!"

• Start Topic

RP is pretty, but damn.

That screen time could be spent on people who can act like Ryan Carnes (will Lucas ever get a job?), Tequan Richmond (will TJ ever escape Molly and Shawn? Will he realize he's an adult? ), Finola Hughes not looking like a shit mother and a dumb ass, DZ as Dante not being the town dial a cop or recipient of Baby Rabies Lulu Style. Or hell, Jordan and Julian could be doing sexy spy mafia sexy hot stuff.

Instead, I'm watching Det. Cue Card be shoehorned into every family in town. No.

Need I remind everyone that AJ Quartermaine is no longer here and this guy is. So I'm bitter. Call Micheal for a date Ms. Jones.

• Love 3

Less screen time for Nathan wouldn't change any of that, though

Per the writers, Anna and Patrick have to go on looking like dumb asses so Robin can be kidnapped indefinitely so we can experience the "joy" of the Nobody Knows It's Jason! plot. All the cops are always going to be on the losing end so the wacky villains can keep cycling around, because the show doesn't go for subtle or more believable betrayals anymore - everything has to be murder kidnapping or assault. Lulu is semi-normal so she'll never get written with any depth by this team, so ... babies! And the occasional abduction!

Everything is constant lunacy and conflict, so none of the characters are being correctly written anymore. If they wanted to explore more facets of Jordan or give Dante more to do or let Anna have her smarts and sense of humor and mischief back they would - but they won't because it doesn't serve the constant churning plots from hell. Spending more time on any one character won't help.

• Love 5

I think RP is a better actor than most give him credit for, it is just that his voice is so deep. 

I do concede I think he might do better on less fast-paced show. Being thrown into the super fast pacing probably doesn't help him any.

• Love 1

I liked him as Britt's brother, when Britt was a smart doctor and not a desperate broke girl thirsty for a dude wanting his brother's baby mama.

I blame the writing, Ron's obsession with models, and Frank being cheap. Plus, Micheal/Maxie and JoMax shipper over here. That meta joke did not quench my thirst. Maxie wouldn't risk her kid for a boring cop she has barely any history with. But she'd do it for a guy she has history with. You know, like Johnny or Micheal. Dudes she's been knowing.

Maxie is an idiot, but as it is the unpopular thread, I'm glad Maxie lusts after a COP, boring or not, and not another fucking criminal which is what Johnny and Spinelli are. And - JMO - real life couples barely translate heat to screen and I personally have never seen much between Johnny and Maxie. C'est la vie.

• Love 1

I agree and I would expect Michael to have more conflict about his feelings for both Sonny and Carly. He has loved them all of his life despite what they have done in the past. He hated being in prison and felt badly for AJ went he first came back and was sent to jail. He didn't want AJ (a man he barely knew) to have to suffer in prison. But now he wants both Sonny and Carly in prison without any hestitation and mixed feelings? I don't buy it. Not one bit.

Michael's whole childhood was AJ trying to get to him. he did try to unbrainwash him as a child. He tried to explain to Michael Sonny was not a good person. When he AJ realized Michael was to far gone, he brought him back. Then Guza wanted Michael to actually kill AJ. . Nothing has changed on this show the unholy trhree are still the main plotters , only difference is the unholy three that ran the show are gone only the names have been changed , FrankenRon are still doing the guza, frons Phelps rock.

• Love 1

What's the point of Nathan? He's only had a handful of scenes with his various family members and his "romance" with Maxie is a joke. He mostly just stands around doing nothing and looking stupid. C-list supporting characters like Felix and Brad have gotten more story than him.

• Love 2

Count me in on the not caring for Nathan train, and I'm a straight woman. He's pretty, so what else is there? It's TV. Lots of men and women are gorgeous, but unless they have that "it" factor or can at least act decently and draw me to them in a scene, I don't care. Being over-hyped because of his looks by the general audience also turned me off to him big time. I am sick to death of hearing how hot this guy is, both in and out of universe. UGH.

Edited by BinkyMimo88
  • Love 6

I think RP is a better actor than most give him credit for ...

I agree. I honestly don't think RP is noticeably worst than most of the other actors right now. Sure, maybe for a lot of them they're just bad right now because the writing sucks and they're bored, but still. And honestly I'll take a not great actor that's earnest and gives it everything over the great ones who give up because they don't like the writing/their stories.

And when you have TG sucking up the screen as Fluke and RH doing whatever he's trying to do with Franco, I just can't see RP as that bad.

• Love 3

Easton as John McBain, when he came over to GH, was shockingly (to me) likeable. I liked him and Sam, too, even though it was a continuation of a McBain pattern that disgusted and infuriated me for years on OLTL. I can't even explain why.

• Love 5

While I enjoyed John on GH a lot more than I did the last few years on OLTL (save his mentor/mentee rapport with Fish), I still wish they hadn't overcomplicated things with the Retconia McBain nonsense and that they hadn't thrown off-screen Natalie and Clint under the bus to pave the way for him and Sam.

They should have kept it simple - he and Natalie parted ways, he had visitation rights with his son, but he needed a fresh start so he moved to Port Charles to work for his former mentor Anna.  Done.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4

Yeah. John himself would have hated Sonny because that's who McBain is. He hates criminals. They could have had him befriend Micheal, hear what happened to him, and since they killed Cole and McBain was kind of a father figure to Cole, he'd be sympathetic to Micheal. He'd befriend Dante and want what's best for Michael. He has history with Starr, so he'd want to protect her too. Retconia McBain wasn't needed. They could have pitted McBain vs Sonny/Jason using their own crimes and characteristics.

• Love 1

I don't know if this is unpopular or not but here goes.

Even though I've enjoyed Michael's current trajectory and I've enjoyed some of his relationships, I still miss Drew Garrett as Michael. I hated him but he never bored me - I was always wondering what crazy thing he would do next. He was the right level of fucked up and I mourn that I never got to see that character naturally evolve to where Michael is right now - there was a bit, more than a bit, of character shift when Chad Duell was cast.

Edited by loveigniting
  • Love 5

Yeah. John himself would have hated Sonny because that's who McBain is. He hates criminals.

Exactly.  You didn't need the Retconia garbage (which got stupider and stupider every time they went back to it) to have supercop John take interest in taking down a mobster.

And I hated the story's denouncement - turns out Scully Jr. killed Retconia, so now John's TOTALLY fine with Sonny and Jason.  Blech.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

McBain would have never ever been fine with Sonny nor Jason. The best part about McBain was the "for reals?" look on his face around Todd on OLTL, so he'd have went into overdrive around the Mobster and Borg. He may have called Sonny out on not knowing where the towels were.

Truth. I'd have traded Todd Manning for McBain.

• Love 1

Here's a UO that could be a dealbreaker for all of you here:

No matter how bad the Love in Maine shit was, Molly and Starr bonding as friends during that time period was actually pretty cute and sweet.

**prepares to die**

• Love 2

No matter how bad the Love in Maine shit was, Molly and Starr bonding as friends during that time period was actually pretty cute and sweet.

**prepares to die**

Molly and Starr shared scenes?   I swear I don't recall one single scrap of that.

**prepares to die**

I don't deny they were adorbs.  They had a good rapport working together.  And with the added scenes with Todd, I thought they were going with that to get Todd and Blair back.  Also, it was the closest I had seen of Starr Manning as she was as a child in a long time.  

I think Bryan Craig is a terrible actor. For all his scenes he seems to only have two acting styles. He either does his Maurice Benard impression with yelling, awkward pauses, and saying his lines in cringe-worthy ways. Or he's just delivering a flat performance. I felt nothing when Morgan was sad over the baby not being his.

• Love 2

I'm not a fan of the "Julian is in deep undercover" story idea.

I'd like whatever allows him to be a BAMF. They have declawed him and it's just ridiculous.  When Duke is getting one over on you it's a sad state you're in indeed.

He needs to kill notLuke, there's no reason he shouldn't have already, or years ago. He didn't need to get mixed up in drugs or any of that nonsense, having him a rival mob boss wasn't the end of the world. If Sonny can be given the pass to run a "coffee business" why couldn't Julian have remained the head of his newspaper to use as a front of his own.

And it could have meant him remaining a pain in Sonny's ass while keeping the orange glow king on his toes, both of them coming to tentative truces for their families' sakes from time to time.

My UO of the week, so far, is that I see nothing appealing about Ric and Liz being back together.

Ric seems to be so...I don't know, desperate or clingy and I like Rick the actor, I think he's one of the best on cast by far, but Ric right now just seems like another old character that Ron has resurrected but really doesn't have much for him to do.

Watching Ric throw himself at Liz with all the hopefulness that they'll be able to "make it work" this time around just doesn't interest me.

• Love 6

I love Ric Hearst. Can I say that? I like Ric Lansing, in spite of his screeching daughter inflicted with bad bangs. I even loved Panic Room because well, the result of Carly/Sonny raising kids was not good. Execution maybe not perfect, but unique, but good intentions. Though I'm worried Morgan might still be 10. (Emotionally that's a debatable thing.) However, he too has been declawed and oddly airbrushed. He looks like that Adam Sandler meme I saw somewhere. I want Alan-Micheal Spaulding back.

Julian, he well no one looks worse than the dude having tea parties in the Metro Court. Duke is clearly the weird dude. I need Fluke vs Duke because it's funny. I still say the baddest man in the land will break the tea set. But I do agree that why no one takes off Fluke's toupee or hides his fiber is beyond me. But I like weird stuff.

I think Bryan Craig is a terrible actor. For all his scenes he seems to only have two acting styles. He either does his Maurice Benard impression with yelling, awkward pauses, and saying his lines in cringe-worthy ways. Or he's just delivering a flat performance. I felt nothing when Morgan was sad over the baby not being his.

I think Bryan, like a lot of young and inexperienced actors, rises and falls on the strength or lack thereof of his scene partner. I think he is really good opposite Laura & Maura, but really flat opposite Mo & Kristin.

ETA: I think it's a shame that the show has totally ignored how close Dante & Kid!Morgan were. I don't think Dom & Bryan have shared five scenes in the past year and a half. And I think acting opposite someone like Dom who gives a very calm yet nuanced and layered performance would be good for Bryan, who around bad actors easily slides into bouncing histrionics.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 4

Okay my UO for today is I don't think RP is THAT bad of an actor. He seems fine for what he is a sweet young clueless nice policeman. I buy his personality. I know many people IRL who act just like Nathan and they aren't acting.

I also think Naxie are cute. Are they sugary sweet, yes, but they are in the younger set and I buy them acting this way as opposed to Bobbie/Scotty/Lucy.

I love my det Special Kitty and it makes me sad everyone hatin' on him. sniff sniff sniff.....

Edited by Cattitude
  • Love 1

I'm not a fan of the "Julian is in deep undercover" story idea.

I think it's ridiculous, but it's not nearly as ridiculous as the fact that Julian basically quits the mob and then rejoins it every six minutes. When he told Lucas "well, actually..." yesterday I started laughing. This is at least the fourth or fifth time he's done this with people.

• Love 3

I like Julian as the "whatever" asshole mobster. It's a nice change from Sonny's ridiculous excuses that he's a "good" mobster simply because he doesn't deal drugs.

I agree with whoever lamented that Julian doesn't seem to have much to do with the newspaper anymore. One mildly clever headline every few months doesn't cut it. Such a waste of opportunity.

• Love 5

I loved when Julian shot random guy at the docks because he actually shot him and didn't wring his hands about it and use it to seduce some woman. It was I'm a mobster, this is work, cool. And that was it. We didn't have to believe he was the Candy Mobster.

I don't buy Sonny wasn't pushing drugs.

• Love 1

I have always believed Sonny's organization still runs drugs and women. We've had this discussion before and I totally can't back it up, but I could swear someone at the show admitted it in print in an interview at least ten or so years ago, where they said he did but they just couldn't say so because of the daytime censors. Admittedly, the show has always been all over the map on this, and as far as I know they have always maintained onscreen that Sonny doesn't deal in that. I don't believe it, but there you are. I can't recall the details of his relationships to people like, say, that ex-hooker Tammy who Mike used to date.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2

Okay my UO for today is I don't think RP is THAT bad of an actor. He seems fine for what he is a sweet young clueless nice policeman. I buy his personality..

I say this all the time as well. He just honestly does not stand out to me as terrible at all. I mean, he's no FH, but he's no Agent Not Hot either.

I thought they admitted that Sonny ran guns, although that was something else that was never made explicit on the show. It was always "the shipment."

They did admit that. Jason also admitted to going out and killing men who begged for their life (when Sonny was mad at undercover Dante for botching a hit, Jason was all, well you know, it's one thing to kill men in a gunfight, another to kill them one on one when you have to look in their eyes and listen to them begging for their lives). And of course they, you know, admitted that Sonny and Jason kill cops during the undercover story too.

• Love 1