Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

They picked a lovely photo of Robin Williams to showcase.

Deciding who gets a special tribute during the Oscars will be tough, once the shock of Williams' death wears off.  (And assuming that in the next few months, there isn't another big shocking loss.)  Peter O'Toole and Lauren Bacall were legends, Philip Seymour Hoffman was very well-known and respected, Shirley Temple is an icon.  I'm going to assume that the Grammys will give Casey Kasem a special tribute, since the Emmys didn't.  

• Love 2
Well, I do love me some dead people lined up...that was actually kinda nice.  I would concur that Sarah B was a wee bit off with the song, but it was a nice selection.

I'll take that over what they did at the Oscars with Bette Midler as that segment became more about her than the people who passed away.

I enjoyed Billy's tribute, but I can't help but think they should have done one for James Garner too, and truth be told, other people would have over very legitimate choices for ones to single out. Still, Billy's tribute was lovely and you could tell he had a hard time getting through it.

Although I will admit that not having a clip from Mork and Mindy during the segment seemed strange, given that this is a TV awards show.

• Love 4

No surprises for me this time.  That 6-minute tracking shot alone was going to pretty much going to net Cary the Best Director award (plus, I'm sure voters were impressed he directed all eight episodes.)  And, just looking at those brief Supporting Actress clips, I couldn't see how anyone could beat Anna Gunn (despite liking both Lena Headey and Christina Hendricks in their respected shows.)

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

So the Emmy's have turned into the Oscars for me. I have seen almost nothing that has been nominated or won. I must have really low brow taste.

You and me both!

I can talk about a lot of these things but yeah, I don't watch most of them. Heck, I just told you a few pages back that I watched Flowers in the Attic. But not Petals. I have standards.

• Love 1

I keep forgetting that Joe Morton played Henry on Eureka whenever I see him on Scandal. Scandal does have a way of sucking a soul out of an actor. 

Katharine Heigl annoys me as well. I am so glad that the writing for her Nyquil commercial was up to her standards, since it wasn't when she did not submit her name for the Emmys for some season of Grey's Anatomy.

Edited by Misslindsey
So the Emmy's have turned into the Oscars for me. I have seen almost nothing that has been nominated or won. I must have really low brow taste.

Come sit next to me, I was flipping between Fast N Loud and this.

Actually - I'm very surprised and happy that Sherlock won for it's actors and writing.  Very well deserved.  I'm not unhappy with the Breaking Bad wins, I figured they'd bring home quite a few awards, it being the last season.       

• Love 1

"Also, how is Elementary still on? She and JLM are so unexpressive."

Them's fighting words my friend: I love that show, and the two of them together. Pissed that I have to wait until the end of October for it to return because CBS scheduled one more night of NFL for Thursday nights. Apparently screwing with The Good Wife on Sundays wasn't enough.

• Love 2

Juliana's speech is lovely -- felt quite relaxed, and generous thanks to Baranski and Josh Charles.  As someone said many pages ago, that dress fits perfectly.  Not many could make it work. 

I keep forgetting Katherine Heigl won an Emmy.  Hell, I forget there was a time that Grey's Anatomy got Emmy nominations.

I figure Breaking Bad would finally win an writing Emmy, but I'm glad it was for the (IMO) superior episode, Ozymandias.

"22 episodes."  I see what you are doing, Juliana!  Taking a dig at all those cable shows and their shorter seasons!

• Love 4

No surprises for me this time.  That 6-minute tracking shot alone was going to pretty much going to net Cary the Best Director award (plus, I'm sure voters were impressed he directed all eight episodes.) 

That tracking shot received rapturous reviews.  It was amazing.  May True Detective win more Emmys!

• Love 1

Yeah, I thought Juliana Margulies looked awful. The blush was a bad match, the dress was trying way too hard to be edgy, and her hair looked like she was headed to the gym.

She's a beautiful woman, but this was not her best look.

• Love 2

I'm just being Phe Phe. (I'm full of references no one is going to get tonight.)

Hotwives of Orlando reference.

Gee, Julia did you want Matthew or Woody to win? I couldn't tell.

I still want John Hamm to get an Emmy, but I am sure he will go the way of Steve Carell and Martin Sheen. I am pleased for Bryan though, I love Breaking Bad.

• Love 4

"I so wish they would use instrumental music for 'In Memoriam'. "

In most cases, I'd agree. But it's a beautiful song, and the director make sure that whoever was singing (any one?) didn't detract from the moment.

Though very time I hear that song, I think of Michael Jacjson's funeral. About an hour in, Brooke Shields tells a lovely story about how "Smile" was MJ's favorite song. As his brother, Jermaine, sings it, I'm thinking "Perfect! The minister offers a prayer, cue the children's choir for "We are the World," and that's wrap.

Damn thing went on for another hour! And that was with Quincy Jones running the show.

Edited by wonderwoman

Way to go Julia...she just can't seem to NOT make it all about her. 

That said, I really like how genuinely fond  Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul are of each other. They seem to really like and respect each other and have developed a genuine friendship after all of this. I know it's not necessarily unique, but it's nice to see. 

Edited by loriro
  • Love 7