Type keyword(s) to search

Season 17 Live Feed Discussion: Watch People Sleep All Day!

• Start Topic

A quick word on rigging - what's interesting to me is how the show doesn't even seem to follow what makes the show so interesting. It isn't when "favorite" players get advantages, it's when players use their actual skills to pull out unlikely wins.

I agree that "favorites" getting advantages doesn't make the show interesting to me, but I wonder whether that is the case with the average TV viewer, which is where the show makes money. I don't know whether "average" viewers who don't follow the feeds enjoy the show more if their favorites are winning on a week-to-week basis, but I guess maybe they do. Looking at it from a long-term perspective, it makes sense that people might stop watching the show if the "characters" they like aren't on anymore, so I can see how TPTB would want to keep "fan faves" around. I'm addicted to this stupid show and always watch the entire season no matter how bad it gets, but I guess "normal" people might see no point in watching the show once the people they like are gone.

With that said, I think it would be great if the show allowed stories to develop more organically and allowed for the possibility of surprising narrative twists arising from the HGs' clever (or bad) strategizing, dumb luck, shifting emotions, etc. It's gotten to the point where it's pretty easy to predict who will win from fairly early on in the season based on production favorites and TPTB are so intent on steering things to that pre-determined outcome that they prevent any actual surprises like someone random winning a key comp and ousting someone who seemed like a lock to go far.

I don't watch the feeds, but have always followed them.

However, my favorite has never been production's favorite- so the rigged twists are annoying.  Most years I stop watching halfway through and just follow forums. That probably isn't what they are going for.

• Love 4

So not only are Day and Jason dumb as fuck they're nasty pieces of shit, too. Good to know. Bye Day!

Literally the only people I still like are Austin, Liz/Julia, and Steve. Maybe John, but he's such a weak minded player. Maybe Becky but she's just so dumb. And maybe Jackie but she's tied to Jeff so I can't fully like her.

• Love 2

What has stopped Grodner and her crew from finding representations that would make the community proud?

Any community!  While I understand the frustration of AAs, Gays, and everyone else, don't think I'm any happier with the selections. White women are not all blonds looking for a stud to run their lives, or bikinied brunette floaters.  White men are not all stud muffins, perverted wanna-be stud muffins (lookin' at James) or nerds. And the token country boys don't represent either. Grodner casts to blatant stereotypes.  I doubt Da would have been cast if she didn't bring the "angry black woman" vibe. TPTB must have been having wet dreams when she threatened to "go all Inglewood" on whomever it was she was talking to.   I think that's true of most of the folks cast on BB - they fit a stereotype. "Normal" folks need not apply.

• Love 13

When it comes to Big Brother, it's like an addiction to me. I have live feed updates open on my computer all day, Jokers discussion forum, this forum, even when I'm not watching the feeds. And last night before I called it a night, I did one last check of Jokers because, like I said, I'm an addict and I needed one last hit before I turned in. And I was mightily rewarded. I think this moment got missed during the great Liz/Julia weight debate (they're both thin, healthy looking, beautiful women):

Jason talks about some foreign BB players who died in a car crash. Clay asks if it happened after they were out of the house. NT

Really, Clay? I didn't realize that foreign versions of BB were so dangerous, they had highways running through their houses. Or maybe he thought their ghosts were playing. I don't know. This kid did graduate from college, right?

• Love 19

I'm still all in for Vanessa, I want her to win, but I also still love Audrey. I'll honestly never get hating someone for lying in Big Brother. FUCKING DUH. She did it badly for sure, but I hoped she'd calibrate and she has, she's talked around game without talking game and she's dialed it back A TON, plus she's white so she was able to get a stay for a week. 

• Love 1

I think the problem with Audrey is she lies for the sake of lying. There was no good reason for her to be throwing around ad much shit as she was and worse to try to peg someone as a racist.

• Love 10

If Day goes this week, Liz/Julia the next, and then Audrey after that then this season might actually be more boring/predictable than last season. Sigh. Why can't I quit?! Like Callaphera said, it truly is an addiction. I need a 12 step program!

• Love 3

Also, can I just say, I am absolutely flabbergasted by how badly Day fucked this up. Like I knew she was a bad player, but hell this is truly amazing. She was given a huge opportunity with the Last Laugh and she was smart enough to figure out something huge that could've legit saved her and she squandered it all away. Although really Jason deserves more than half the credit on that for sure. No one in this house can keep their mouth shut like damn!

• Love 1
(edited)

What is/was the Last Laugh? And what is the deal with the phone calls?

The Last Laugh is the Kathy Griffin twist of the week: a phone was put into the house. The seventh person to answer the phone got a special advantage to nullify three votes of their choosing on the live show. But like all BB twists, it just kind of floundered and fizzled out (unless Da'Vonne pulls a miracle out of her butt, but she ruined that by telling Jason about her twin suspicion). 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 2

But like all BB twists, it just kind of floundered and fizzled out. 

LMAO! How do I still get excited about these things when they literally never work. 

Honestly though this one could've worked. It really could've. But Day just has no idea how to play.

Also, can I just say, I am absolutely flabbergasted by how badly Day fucked this up. 

It is unbelievable that she shirked her newly minted alliance that needed cementing for a random draw (Liz/Julie) and proceed to let that seed die too. It is amazing that she was able to form a strong bond at all.

She still has nothing on Lowan and his magic powers.  

• Love 2
(edited)

It is amazing that she was able to form a strong bond at all.

She got lucky there. Jason said he fall in love with her before he even spoke to her, so she didn't even have to do anything to have him bonded to her. Although a fat lot of good it did her, he ruined any chance she had in leveraging the twin twist by telling Meg about it.

I just hope we get some drama today from this since there's most likely very little drama coming after Day is evicted.

I don't know, to me this seems even worse. Day actually had all the tools, knew exactly what was happening in the house, and she pissed it all away. So embarrassing. 

Edited by peachmangosteen
(edited)

Thinking about the "normal" Vs. "stereotype" - I'm sure Jace came into the house prepared to play as large as he could, enacting the jock stereotype to the fullest - loud, drink hard, when not drinking, act over-the-top, run (almost) naked through the house. LOL - he didn't have the balls to go full monte, did he.  I didn't like him one little bit; couldn't wait to see him go.  But!!!!  I did find the guy who talked to Julie Chen to be quite reasonable - even possibly interesting.  I'd have liked to see more of him.

So who's at fault?  The hamsters, or their handlers, urging them to greater and greater fulfillment of their assigned stereotype?  Of course the hamsters provide the raw material, but I'm sure they're worked to the bone by their handlers before the show and in the DR.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 1

LMAO! How do I still get excited about these things when they literally never work. 

Honestly though this one could've worked. It really could've. But Day just has no idea how to play.

When they announced this twist, I actually kind of liked it. I knew the 7th call would go to someone who either needed it or could flip a vote. I might have actually praised them for coming up with something a little different. Voiding three votes can be a big thing if there's a house divide. But then Da'Vonne got it and didn't blackmail/offer the twins safety for keeping their secret and them helping to flip the vote for her and I knew it was pretty much pointless.

Really. It all fell into her lap, everything she needed to potentially save herself and she squandered it. It's sad because I thought she had so much promise.

Call #8: Lawon finally gets his special power.

• Love 3
(edited)

Day won the last laugh twist so she has the advantage of controlling who votes. Plus she figured out the twin twist. Instead of keeping it to herself and using it to talk to Liz/Julia and possibly holding that over her head for her vote and swaying the other side of the house as a possibility she told Jason who of course blabbed to everyone else taking away her advantage. At least in my opinion. Day could have done a number of things with that information to help her out of getting evicted.

I'm glad that Vanessa and Steve finally aligned as they are the two of the smartest people in the house. They are also the ones who do the least gossiping so of course they are looked at suspiciously as if not telling everyone your strategy in week 2 is a weakness.

Edited by kellog010
  • Love 4

They are also the ones who do the least gossiping so of course they are looked at suspiciously as if not telling everyone your strategy in week 2 is a weakness.

LOL. Really though. Like why do people expect them to just give everyone all the info they have? But I guess in everyone's defense, they all legit give every single person they speak to every bit of info they have so!

(edited)

Given the length of the season (longest ever), I think there's going to be more than one twist that cancels an eviction. Also given the timeline of the last two seasons, a HG will return around week 9, with the previous four boots competing. The fact that Jace wasn't sequestered seems likely they'll stick with that.

Edited by Cutty

Since it seems the twin twist will probably be exposed soon then Liz will be the next target, right? That's good news for Audrey and bad news for everybody targeting her. I'm sure AG and CBS are willing to sacrifice Liz (and Julia) to give Audrey a chance to stay.

(edited)

Since it seems the twin twist will probably be exposed soon then Liz will be the next target, right? That's good news for Audrey and bad news for everybody targeting her. I'm sure AG and CBS are willing to sacrifice Liz (and Julia) to give Audrey a chance to stay.

I would think that getting rid of Liz/Julia will also allow production more flexibility with bringing back an evicted houseguest later on because they were probably planning on the extra twin joining anyway.  I also think that production would gladly sacrifice the non-entites that liz/julia are for someone like audrey who brings the drama.

Edited by MV007
(edited)

Davonne should talk with Audrey and try to bury their beef. I feel like she's the one person who would understand that keeping Davonne around is good for her game. And from Day's perspective if there's one HG whose vote will deviate from "voting with the house" it's Audrey. I just don't think Day has the ability to pull it off. She's too blinded by her dislike of Audrey.

Also, for anyone who has the stomach, flashback to around 2PM BBT yesterday to the convo in the HOH between Jeff, Shelli and Meg talking about how Becky only dates non-white guys over 6'6". Jeff was being his usual nasty self and Meg got in on the fun and said the idea "makes her body hurt". Jeff's douchebaggery is rubbing off on her.

Edited by Cutty

Wouldn't the issue for Davonne working with Audrey be trust?  Lets say Davonne agrees to a deal with Audrey.  Well, given this twist, Davonne can now eliminate 3 votes.  She would almost certainly use one of those on Audrey without said deal.  So if she makes a deal and uses the vote cancellation on someone else then she would have to trust Audrey not to backstab her.  And I just don't see her ever getting to that place.

• Love 1

Wouldn't the issue for Davonne working with Audrey be trust?  Lets say Davonne agrees to a deal with Audrey.  Well, given this twist, Davonne can now eliminate 3 votes.  She would almost certainly use one of those on Audrey without said deal.  So if she makes a deal and uses the vote cancellation on someone else then she would have to trust Audrey not to backstab her.  And I just don't see her ever getting to that place.

Of course. All I'm saying is she has a better shot of getting Audrey to flip than the rest of these HGs... but I doubt she realizes that. Audrey doesn't have alliegence to anyone. She should embrace her unpredictability. I guess I'm reminded of how Amanda flipped Elissa's vote after she terrorized her for like two weeks straight. How much of that was DR interference is up for debate, but still. 

I 100% agree, and yet it's Big Brother, I will always think that sane, rational, INTELLIGENT people don't audition for this show, over 17 seasons I can think of a handful, maybe: Dan, Allison, Jun, Danielle R. That's IT, and two of them were minority women. I just think anyone with the remotest common sense doesn't actually audition for this show.

The reason for that is simple. Sane, rational INTELLIGENT people have jobs and careers in the real world where their unique skills and talents are genuinely needed, and the employers of such generally don't let their key employees take off 3+ consecutive months in the summer. About the only probable exception would be school teachers, and they'd be up Schitt's Creek if the BB season overlapped the start of the school year.

No... sane, rational INTELLIGENT people generally wouldn't be able to participate in BB even if they wanted to, at the peril of their careers. Not until after retirement, anyway - and I think we've all seen just how aggressively Production recruits the over-50 set. :P

I really am surprised by how mean they were being to Julia and Liz. Jason's not always the most couth guy, but I mean, come on, dude, ease up on the vitriol for some woman for being slightly heavier than her twin sister (I mean slightly).

I thought more "athletic" than "heavy". Neither is overweight; one's just carrying a little more muscle than the other. I'm thinking runner.

• Love 2

Of course. All I'm saying is she has a better shot of getting Audrey to flip than the rest of these HGs... but I doubt she realizes that. Audrey doesn't have alliegence to anyone. She should embrace her unpredictability. I guess I'm reminded of how Amanda flipped Elissa's vote after she terrorized her for like two weeks straight. How much of that was DR interference is up for debate, but still. 

Yea, I think the difference here is the last laugh twist.  It's very easy to make a last ditch effort to work with someone.  Its another thing entirely to make such a desperate plea and then basically bet that it worked.  At least with Elissa, you could take her at face value for the most part.  Here, if I'm in Davonne's shoes, I would think its very likely that Audrey would lie to my face.  I would certainly make the attempt but it would take an awful lot not to use the twist on Audrey.  I think her best bet is to go for Austin/Liz/Vanessa/Jason and then try and add one more.

(edited)
I  need to rant about the casting for AAs on this show for a minute. Out of 17 seasons, it is a damn near crime that only two or three were notable for  their good game play. Danielle Reyes (BB3) and Kevin Campbell come to mind.   I'll edit if I think of a 3rd but don't hold your breath. The afore mentioned were also the only two who kissed the finales. 

When you compare the notably horrendous game play in the shows history, the AAs win. Just last season, we were given Amber who was as sweet a person as she was dumb when it comes to BB. As much I would have loved rooting for her, her painful game play had me too busy cringing during her time in the house. 

Don't get me started the on Lawons and Marcellas who top the list of most dumbest game play ever.

Nothing will convince me that INTELLIGENT black people don't audition for the show. If they don't, half the cast are recruited. What has stopped Grodner and her crew from finding representations that would make the community proud? That we root for, not because of the bigotry and alliniation they face in house, but because they are legitimately good Big Brother players? Why does the show, season after season, deny us (I don't want to assume every viewer want a root worthy AA houseguest) African American houseguests we can relate to on that personal level, that we'd enjoy cheering on? That we don't have to watch through our fingers. I am so sick of having to deal with dumbasses year after year. 

eta: Deputy Deputy, I agree with much of your post and wish the casts were much more diverse. I wonder what the track record would be if there were only one or two white people per season. Imagine if the white representatives each season were like Audrey and Amanda --both smart but couldn't win the game. Smart doesn't necessarily equal good game player-- I think players like Chima, Kalia (don't know if I have her name right) and Da are intelligent, they just weren't great game players. I think Amber was cast as eye candy without expectations for her game play. However, I do think producers were probably aware that Da was planning to call people out, etc, and they must know that type of player never or rarely wins. I agree that if we're only going to get one to two women of color per season, I wish the selection process was stronger so these players had a better chance of succeeding

It's also worth noting that BB15's Howard and Candice had decent minds for the game.  But unfortunately, they were stuck in one of the worst BB situations of all time, through little to no fault of their own.

Also, I'm pretty sure Kalia took Jeff out, not Jason.  There wasn't even a Jason on BB13.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 5

I just wish Day had kept her suspicions to herself, walked over to Liz/Julia and said "I KNOW THE TWO OF YOU ARE SWITCHING OUT. If you, or the two of you, vote to send Meg home and I end up staying I won't rat the two of you out. That's all I can promise." And she should just walk away.

• Love 3

I never thought the Last Laugh twist would do anything. The consequence of the Battle of the Block has been the entire house voting together. Everyone is too chicken to make targets of themselves by going against a majority or trying to draw a line, with two HoHs and four nominees coming up next. What difference does it make if you can nullify three votes when the other nine are all voting the same way?

I'm also not overly offended by the "thick" and "thin" descriptions of the twins as a way of differentiating them. If the most notably different thing about them is body size there's really no other way to put it. It could have been far worse, that's for sure.

I am thankful that at least Jackie doesn't do the "oh my god!" where her voice suddenly goes up several octaves, ending in a scream.

Yes, Janice! That's exactly who she reminds me of, Janice on Friends. Her voice isn't quite as nasal, but the accent is identical.

(edited)

If I'm the twin in this blackmail scenario then whats to stop me from voting her out anyway?  You go along with it and then vote her out.  If she says anything post-vote then you either deal with it then or chalk it up to her being crazy.

Edited by MV007
(edited)

It's also worth noting that BB15's Howard and Candice had decent minds for the game.  But unfortunately, they were stuck in one of the worst BB situations of all time, through little to no fault of their own.

I thought Candice and Howard were both horrible at the game, though I agree that the shitty social atmosphere that season was not their fault at all.

I don't think they really try to cast people who are good at the game, especially in recent years. It seems like about 60-75% of the cast slots go to young, straight white people under 30 or even under 25. The remaining slots are divided up among people deemed to be "characters" or to bring "diversity" to the cast- a black person, someone over 40, someone with an unusual personality or background. The pattern is incredibly dull to me. I would love to see any kind of change-up in their approach, especially anything that would eliminate the 5 or 6 people they cast every year who look good in swimsuits but suck at game and are generally boring and/or horrible people. Every year there are at least a handful of people I can't tell apart for the first few weeks.

Edited by TheRealT
  • Love 5

It took a little while but it does appear as though Davonne is hustling.  I haven't been a big fan of hers but I'm kind of rooting against the predictability that has been everything this season.  And I do like Meg but she's not bringing much game wise.

• Love 3

Day thinks she can flip Vanessa, Austin, Steve, and possibly Liz added with Jason's vote to stay. If those people voted to keep her they would lose Shelli and Clay, plus still be targets for other side of the house so what would they really gain keeping Day.

Since it seems the twin twist will probably be exposed soon then Liz will be the next target, right?

Only if they know the rules, which I assume is on the twins to spill. If they lie about the parameters they could be kept around long enough for them to be in the house together.

(edited)

Day thinks she can flip Vanessa, Austin, Steve, and possibly Liz added with Jason's vote to stay. If those people voted to keep her they would lose Shelli and Clay, plus still be targets for other side of the house so what would they really gain keeping Day.

Keeping brain cells from not having to endure the presence of Clay and Shelli longer than it is necessary? Imagine plotting with Clay and Shelli. 

Jason and Day are not much better at this game but a piece of wood has more smarts than Clay. Shelli has less since she willingly attached herself to him like a leech.

Edited by Deputy Deputy CoS
  • Love 1

Jason knows the rules from last time with Adria/Natalie. He advised Day not to go to the DR to ask about the twin twist. He's already mentioned to the others that the rules are probably the same as the other time: if a twin doesn't get evicted after 5 weeks then the other twin can come in officially with both playing as individuals. He said if this had been BB UK or BB Australia the twist would be over and done with as soon as anybody raised a suspicion.

• Love 1
(edited)

Jeff really needs to die in a fire. 

hamsterwatch #BB17 @hamsterwatch

Jeff about Lizia: "what girl gets in a little skanky bathing suit, but then wants to cover like her whole stomach" #STFUJeff #bb17
Edited by Cutty
  • Love 3

Clay tells Shelli he wants Meg and James out next. Says that's why it's good to keep Audrey, because she will go after the same people. Audrey amazingly still has Clay snowed. 

So I turn on the feeds to hear Clay and Shelli debating over what their mashed-up name should be. Apparently Shelli was very proud of introducing #teamshay to the DR, but Clay wants something even more stupid. I really need these two to spend more time scrambling to stay in the house, and less time trying to force their couple-ness down my throat. Gah!

• Love 1

These HGs are clueless. It's to their advantage to ditch Meg over Day. Diary room needs to funnel in some of Dan's mist to get these HGs thinking about the fact that Meg is well-liked, on no one's radar, and unlikely to be put up again until the jury phase where she could easily win comps. Day sucks at competitions, has no real allies, and is awful at the social game. I'd be keeping Day all day long. 

• Love 4

I irrationally hate Vanessa but I was still holding onto hope that she wasn't as dumb as the rest of these nimrods, but she is. She just went to Shelli/Clay and gave them a ton of info. Like what is wrong with these people? Do they not realize that Shelli/Clay won't be in power next week? 

This group seemed so promising. Sigh.

• Love 5

So Steve apparently told Vanessa about the Liz twin thing. I JUST missed it, which sucks, but right now Vanessa is in the kitchen casually talking to Liz. "do you have any tattoos"? You know, the usual casual chit chat. And no, she doesn't.

(edited)

OMGGG

Please don't let this blow up in Day's face. She's just now confronted Liz about her being a twin sayimg the house knows thanks to Jason's loose lips. She even told Liz try to get Austin to vote to keep her as well.

Brillant!

If this works Day's dead in the water possible eviction might be up there with Dan's from BB10 and 14.

If this whole house goes up against Jeff/Slay/Audrey/Jackie that would be some great tv.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 2