Type keyword(s) to search

UnREAL in the Media: News, Ratings, and Previews

15 TV Shows to Watch This Summer

‘UnREAL’ (Lifetime, June 6) Last summer’s breakout among new series (along with “Mr. Robot” on USA) returns, trying to achieve the same balance between the pitch-perfect satire of a “Bachelor”-style reality dating show and an “All About Eve” women’s-story melodrama. A new season of the show within the show, “Everlasting,” features B. J. Britt (“Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”) as the bachelor. Meanwhile, Rachel, the fragile but expert field producer played by Shiri Appleby, has been promoted to showrunner, which means that what could go wrong will go wrong.

I like the last line: Rachel being in charge can only mean chaos...

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks for posting that.

Here's another link which talks about Rachel and Quinn.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/unreal-season-2-spoilers-rachel-quinn/

. ITA 110% with everything this link says.

https://t.co/u4bobEig5o

One of the lowkey best success stories of the past year was watching Appleby, onetime teen star of The WB’s Roswell, come into her own on UnReal with the best role of her career. She played the shifting morals of her reality-television producer with skill and empathy, and she never lost the audience despite doing some really messed-up stuff. A nomination would be recognition of some of television’s most daring work.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 3
On 5/23/2016 at 6:18 PM, basically said:

Turns out Freddie is coming back! It's now being reported by various sources - this one gets a little more detailed confirmation from Sarah Gertrude Shapiro who was asked about it at the Peabody Awards just a few days ago:

Will Adam Return To 'UnREAL' Season 2? We Finally Have An Answer To This Mystery

*screams loudly*

This makes me super happy.

I am a little nervous though about the Bachelor being black.  As a black woman - I just don't have a good feeling about it at all.

On 5/27/2016 at 9:49 AM, earlbny said:

Thanks for posting that.

Here's another link which talks about Rachel and Quinn.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/unreal-season-2-spoilers-rachel-quinn/

. ITA 110% with everything this link says.

https://t.co/u4bobEig5o

One of the lowkey best success stories of the past year was watching Appleby, onetime teen star of The WB’s Roswell, come into her own on UnReal with the best role of her career. She played the shifting morals of her reality-television producer with skill and empathy, and she never lost the audience despite doing some really messed-up stuff. A nomination would be recognition of some of television’s most daring work.

As a former Roswell fan (binge watching S1 right now) and huge Shiri fan, I just love seeing her finally get some kudos.  She's always shown incredible nuance and range in her acting and it's great to see her get to do a part like this and kill it.  I hope she gets an Emmy nod soon and I hope she wins some awards!  It'd also be great to see this expand her ability to get some heavy movie roles in the off season.

• Love 3

The last season catchup/preview is interesting, because there are some things it really focuses on (Mary's suicide) that I thought might be glossed over and other things that I thought might be focused on (the other contestants) that are glossed over. It's definitely worth a watch.

On May 29, 2016 at 7:24 PM, phoenics said:

As a former Roswell fan (binge watching S1 right now) and huge Shiri fan, I just love seeing her finally get some kudos.  She's always shown incredible nuance and range in her acting and it's great to see her get to do a part like this and kill it.  I hope she gets an Emmy nod soon and I hope she wins some awards!  It'd also be great to see this expand her ability to get some heavy movie roles in the off season.

I am a former Roswell fan as well. I loved that show. Shiri is the reason I started watching UnREAL. Did you see the pic she posted with Max? That pic got more likes/retweets/comments then any UnREAL post on social media. Max should be next seasons suitor.  I've seen everything Shiri has done and UnREAL has been her coming out party. Emmy worthy for sure. She puts 110% into everything she does and it shows. Too bad she'll probably not get nominated. Fingers crossed. I hope I am proven wrong. I would love to see her get some heavy movie roles. I think the turning point in her       career was Girls. That was the role that change everything. Before Girls and UnREAL Shiri      always seemed to play the sweet girl next door. As she got older she was planning on turning her focus to directing. She asked her friend who was a producer on girls if she could shadow the           director. One thing let to another and she landed a role on that show which I believe led her to     UnREAL.

I thought that catchup/preview was pretty good. Lifetime is really trying everything they can to get new viewers and keep old viewers. I hope it pays off.

• Love 2

I watched Roswell as a kid and Shiri Appleby/Liz Parker was nowhere near my favorite of the cast and characters, but I really love the acclaim she's received for this show. Honestly, I get so excited to see former WB stars still getting work and receiving acclaim, and Shiri really brought in an incredible performance. I don't know if she'll get an Emmy nom, partly because the field is incredibly competitive now and UnREAL is still a criminally under-watched and underrated show, but I would be so excited to see the show get any Emmy recognition.

I also really hope season 2 is just as great, though I am definitely also nervous about how the show will tackle race. Of course, it's exciting to see them even go there and want to create this kind of discourse through their show.

• Love 2
(edited)

Shiri Appleby/Liz Parker was my favorite on Roswell but part of that had to do with the fact that I had a crush on her. As much as I would love for Shiri to win an Emmy my guess is that Julianna Margulies will get a parting gift. Either that or another usual suspect will win. ITA that UnREAL is still a criminally under-watched and underrated show. Fingers crossed that season 2 changes all of that. I doubt it but I am trying to stay positive. As long as we don't get a sophomore slump i'll be happy.  I don't think  UnREAL will get lots of people talking about race. I also don't think it will get the Bachelor/Bachelorette to all of the sudden have someone of color as a Bachelor/Bachelorette. I don't think enough people care.Time will tell if they do a good job or not. 

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 2
(edited)

As I said above I had a crush on Shiri during Roswell so I barely noticed anyone else on on that show. I was a one woman man.  Post Roswell Shiri got type cast. She was actally told she needed to get a boob Job. She opted not to. I think she would have looked silly especially considering she's so tiny. That probably would have got her a role in the   latest teen sex comedy. After that who knows where her career would have gone. I think she made a smart decision. She's been trying to break into comedy and branch out and play different roles that challenge her. Even starting to get into directing. She has said its not easy. She's tired of playing the same thing over and over again. However at the same time she had to take whatever she could get in order to keep working and paying the bills. I think the turning point of her career was Girls. Now with UnREAL she's having a coming out party. I truly believe this will lead her to bigger and better things down the road. Fingers crossed. Shes gotten the most attention and critical acclaim for  UnREAL then anything she's done in her 70+ roles. She's paid her dues and now it's her time to shine. I also can't picture anyone playing the role of Rachel  Goldberg other then Shiri. One of my   favorite roles she's done is actually a short film called Carjacking. I was always jealous that SMG got bigger roles and had a tv show that ran longer then Shiri's. 

This is is how you win an Emmy people! ITA 110% with everything this guy says. Too bad it probably won't happen. This is the 1st time I've seen someone mention Breeda and Ashely when it comes to the Emmy awards. 

http://www.awardscircuit.com/2016/06/01/circuit-consideration-unreal-finds-social-commentary-reality-tv/ 

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1
(edited)

Here's a link which tells you just about everything you want to know about season 1.  This link talks about Mary, Rachel and Adam as well as other things about season 2 and the show in general. I don't agree with everything they said. I would have done things a little differently. Thoughts?

https://www.thewrap.com/unreal-showrunners-preview-season-2-theres-a-cost-to-the-things-these-people-do/

Edited by earlbny
37 minutes ago, earlbny said:

Here's a link which tells you just about everything you want to know about season 1.  This link talks about Mary, Rachel and Adam as well as other things about season 2 and the show in general. I don't agree with everything they said. I would have done things a little differently. Thoughts?

https://www.thewrap.com/unreal-showrunners-preview-season-2-theres-a-cost-to-the-things-these-people-do/

Please be sure to take anything about Season Two over to Spoilers and Speculation discussion; conversation in here should be about Season One stuff only (so far)!

(edited)

UnREAL jumped over the Bachelorette and became the #1 trending topic on Twitter. At from 10-11 then it went back down to # 3 or 4  last time I checked. Lifetime even mentioned that the series premier rattings sucked. But they were trending. I wonder if the Twitter trend will help? Since it's already been renewed for season 3 it really doesn't matter but I am still curious. As much as I hope it becomes the most watched show there's a part of me that's wants it to do just as bad as last year so they decide to upload the episodes so I can binge watch them.  

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1

Hard to read the article due the left edge being cut off but I got the gist.  Too bad but we get a season 3.  From the previews I am not thrilled at the direction this is taking either. 

ITA with both of your post. They are adding the episodes to Amazon Prime each week. That's a really good move. One of the oncoming episodes falls on the Fourth of July. So that weeks episode will not do as good. Someone commented that they paid to trend on Twitter. whats that all about? Last night they mentioned on Twitter how last seasons premier rattings were pretty bad but that they were currently trending on Twitter. I think it's not for lack of trying. Having followed Shiri career since Roswell this is the most promoted show she's been on. Do you think they renewed the show just so they don't have to answer to low rattings. 

Heres a a link which takes about the premier episode. Unlike all the other links which do a standard review. This link talks about racism. Weather you agree or not it's pretty interesting.

http://hungrymelissa.tumblr.com/post/145568216508/unreal-season-2-delivers-case-study-in-ironic

UnREAL and Kindom on the Audience channel are must watch live for me, and I catch the second airings, so that is why it isn't doing to well in the ratings. I have that effect on shows, it seems. More proof that the world revolves around me, no matter what my mom and son say. 

Didn't the show's ratings improve last year after they included the numbers for who watched online? I remember reading something about those numbers not being represented in the ratings released each week, which only included live plus DVR watched within 3 days. I don't think the Nielsen ratings have been a valid measure for at least a few years now. Too many people watch online. They also don't include the viewer numbers that could be obtained by the cable and satellite companies, because they aren't considered accurate, or something, which I find odd because I can see the most popular show being watched on DirectTV right now, so there must be a way to get a general measurement, that the networks could consider.

I read the Hungry Melissa review, linked above that I'm unable to quote for some reason, and completely disagree with her. If it matters, I'm and African American and Native American woman. 

The show dealt head-on with the racism of having a non-white bachelor, and embraced it because "creating the issue and pointing a camera at it" is what this show does well. Rachel having sex with the manager is opined as "using black bodies as sexual props" as opposed to having sex with a hot man, in a show where the underlying show is about women being sexual objects and the women who are in charge of making the show work. I could go on with all the ways I disagree, but I don't think this is the correct thread for a point by point disagreement with an article.

It is interesting how so many of us take the show differently. Last year I read many reviews that saw things differently than I did, and made me think a bit about what I was watching. I don't watch any of the Bachelor or Bachelorette shows because I tried once and found it too boring, so seeing opinions about this show and how it handles issues that have come up on the Bachelor make me think about what I watched differently.

• Love 3
(edited)

Those ratings are extremely dissapointing. Not sure what else Lifetime can do at this point to get people to tune in - they have accolades, universal acclaim, and they promo'd the hell out of it. It sucks that people are just not watching. Glad it got a season 3 renewal, but how long can they keep it going, if ratings keep dropping like that?

Edited by basically
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, basically said:

Those ratings are extremely dissapointing. Not sure what else Lifetime can do at this point to get people to tune in - they have accolades, universal acclaim, and they promo'd the hell out of it. It sucks that people are just not watching. Glad it got a season 3 renewal, but how long can they keep it going, it if ratings keep dropping like that?

Maybe Netflix would pick it up.  

• Love 1
(edited)

They have Hulu and Amazon Prime. Amazon is airing the new episodes as the season goes on. I heard they censored the R word from the premiere. Not sure about Hulu. They may wait till the seasons over before airing season 2. After the pilot premier they put up the 4 episodes online for you to binge watch. One of this seasons episodes premieres on the 4th of July. So unless it's raining nobody will be watching that episode. Why did the network renew it before the season started? Was that just to attract more viewers. Oh wow this show must really be good if it was already renewed. Or so they don't have to answer questions about the ratings. Right now it's the only legit show on Lifetime so it's still the networks baby. It's not on HBO competeing with GOT. I am also surprised to see every review for the season premier be so positive. Ther has to be one critic that did not like it? Maybe they got paid to write a positive review or sorhing. I don't truly know. Just some thoughts.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1

I agree with that comments of the Deadline ratings article. They messed up not putting the entire season On Demand or Hulu until later. I missed it last summer but kept hearing about it and wanted to check it out. I couldn't find the show anywhere online, so I bought the DVDs.  How many people are going to do that?  

• Love 2

I just heard about it this week!  I'm binge watching now on Hulu and didn't realize I have to wait until season 2 is over to see it on Hulu.  Too bad.  I'm enjoying it.  I'm going to head over to Lifetimes website and see if I can watch some episodes there.

The show is hurt IMO by being neither fish nor fowl as an anthology series. You have the cost of losing half the cast without the benefit of a completely new storyline.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, kathe5133 said:

I just heard about it this week!  I'm binge watching now on Hulu and didn't realize I have to wait until season 2 is over to see it on Hulu.  Too bad.  I'm enjoying it.  I'm going to head over to Lifetimes website and see if I can watch some episodes there.

I have an Amazon Fire Box, and using the Lifetime app I can see the most recent episode (with short ads, of course) so hopefully, the same is available on the actual Lifetime site.

(edited)

Lifetime makes the current episodes available the next day on the actual Lifetime Website. Not sure how long they keep them up. 

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1
On June 7, 2016 at 4:43 PM, earlbny said:

Heres a a link which takes about the premier episode. Unlike all the other links which do a standard review. This link talks about racism. Weather you agree or not it's pretty interesting.

http://hungrymelissa.tumblr.com/post/145568216508/unreal-season-2-delivers-case-study-in-ironic

My issue with this critique is that it hinges only on the writer's viewing of the season premiere. I don't think there's enough grounds to conclude that season 2 cannot be salvaged, nor does she aptly define the terminology she applies as a measuring stick for critique of what is "bad" uses of irony (even coining "ironic racism", which I'm conceptually unfamiliar with and would have liked more elucidation on) in contrast to what is "good." Additionally, the analysis of the evidence is very thin and doesn't really hold up to me. Well, actually, I didn't even really see any specific analysis that pointed me to instances where I could map the problem areas the writer highlights. While well-intentioned, I just think it's too premature to come to those conclusions without waiting to see more of season 2 and I think the writer also misunderstands the intentions of the first episode in setting up the new status quo before the show can really (hopefully) magnify the issues it intends to spotlight.

• Love 3
(edited)

We've only seen one episode of Season 2. I would wait till the season over before I write something like that. 

Heres a a recap from the season premiere courtesy of Afterbuzz TV.

Edited by earlbny
On 5/30/2016 at 9:53 PM, earlbny said:

I am a former Roswell fan as well. I loved that show. Shiri is the reason I started watching UnREAL. Did you see the pic she posted with Max? That pic got more likes/retweets/comments then any UnREAL post on social media. Max should be next seasons suitor.  I've seen everything Shiri has done and UnREAL has been her coming out party. Emmy worthy for sure. She puts 110% into everything she does and it shows. Too bad she'll probably not get nominated. Fingers crossed. I hope I am proven wrong. I would love to see her get some heavy movie roles. I think the turning point in her       career was Girls. That was the role that change everything. Before Girls and UnREAL Shiri      always seemed to play the sweet girl next door. As she got older she was planning on turning her focus to directing. She asked her friend who was a producer on girls if she could shadow the           director. One thing let to another and she landed a role on that show which I believe led her to     UnREAL.

I thought that catchup/preview was pretty good. Lifetime is really trying everything they can to get new viewers and keep old viewers. I hope it pays off.

Wait - she posted a pic with Jason Behr?!?!  WHERE?!?!  Do you have a link?  I literally binge watched Roswell recently... I miss that show so much.  Were you on fanforum?  Your handle sounds familiar - I used to be on the Dreamer forum and Shiri's forum a lot.

I do think Girls was her turning point - I think she let go of a lot of walls in her acting.  She was always amazingly nuanced - even on Roswell - but here on UnREAL her nuance is really on overdrive - she does that better than anyone I've seen. I also think her ability to create chemistry with her male leading co-star is unparalleled.  Max/Liz is STILL worlds above any other couple out right now - especially couples on the CW that fans fawn all over.  They really don't know what it SHOULD look like.  I will include Michael/Maria too in explosive chemistry.  I wish Jason would be next season's suitor - or they should have asked him to come onboard to be Shiri's love interest. The internet would have exploded.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, scartact said:

My issue with this critique is that it hinges only on the writer's viewing of the season premiere. I don't think there's enough grounds to conclude that season 2 cannot be salvaged, nor does she aptly define the terminology she applies as a measuring stick for critique of what is "bad" uses of irony (even coining "ironic racism", which I'm conceptually unfamiliar with and would have liked more elucidation on) in contrast to what is "good." Additionally, the analysis of the evidence is very thin and doesn't really hold up to me. Well, actually, I didn't even really see any specific analysis that pointed me to instances where I could map the problem areas the writer highlights. While well-intentioned, I just think it's too premature to come to those conclusions without waiting to see more of season 2 and I think the writer also misunderstands the intentions of the first episode in setting up the new status quo before the show can really (hopefully) magnify the issues it intends to spotlight.

Actually I have some of the same concerns as the author - and I had them before the premiere.  And I had them before that tumblr was written.  I think my worry is that they short cut a few things.  Last season, they clearly showed that neither black woman fit the tropes that the Everlasting producers wanted to put on the women.  Shamiqua was nowhere close to a trope - and she never caved in and made it to the final four.  

This time, they haven't really made it clear what they mean by "blacktivist" and they haven't shown any nuance yet for Ruby - no other qualities were called out - unless we were supposed to take her being educated at Berkeley currently as the "extra".

As I said in the episode thread - it felt like an excuse by the show to peddle in racist stereotypes in a lazy way.  It also irritates me that even with a black bachelor, we're still gonna end up with the black women "othered" and shoved to the sidelines, while the white women get to "be themselves" and still get hand-held to the final two because "AmeriKKKa".  If the show doesn't REALLY delve into why that's BS, then it's still just peddling the stereotypes and white supremacy, while shrugging that "it's just how AmeriKKKa wants it - don't blame us AmeriKKKa is racist!" while not really SPEAKING to the issues they are delving into.  

I'm probably asking too much.

UnREAL excels by explicitly calling out when it is twisting people into stereotypes - if the show doesn't make it VERY plain when they are twisting folks into stereotypes then it fails - especially with racial issues.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, phoenics said:

Wait - she posted a pic with Jason Behr?!?!  WHERE?!?!  Do you have a link?  I literally binge watched Roswell recently... I miss that show so much.  Were you on fanforum?  Your handle sounds familiar - I used to be on the Dreamer forum and Shiri's forum a lot.

I do think Girls was her turning point - I think she let go of a lot of walls in her acting.  She was always amazingly nuanced - even on Roswell - but here on UnREAL her nuance is really on overdrive - she does that better than anyone I've seen. I also think her ability to create chemistry with her male leading co-star is unparalleled.  Max/Liz is STILL worlds above any other couple out right now - especially couples on the CW that fans fawn all over.  They really don't know what it SHOULD look like.  I will include Michael/Maria too in explosive chemistry.  I wish Jason would be next season's suitor - or they should have asked him to come onboard to be Shiri's love interest. The internet would have exploded.

On an off day filming UnREAL she took her husband and kids to the science center. While she was there she bumped into Jason. After they fought up she made her husband Jon take a pic. Then she posted it on Instagram. That pic has probably gotten more likes then any UnREAL pic. I was and still am on Fan Forum. I've been there since 99. They had a server crash so I had to re join in 01. I remember the days when Shiri used to post on Fan Forum before she joined social media. 

Shiri has a had a lot of bad breaks and crappy roles post Roswell. Except for Swimfan, Undertow and Charlie Wilsons War. Most were failed pilots or bad made for TV movies.Girls was indeed her turning point. When I 1st watched it my jaw hit the floor and I said Liz Parker has left the building. Before she did Girls I never thought she would ever do something like that. Like I said above her plan was to actually learn how to direct and transition of not a full time director. Because of her role on Girls that never happened. I am so glad. Max/Liz was and will always be one of the bat couples. The chemistry was electric. That's a gift Shiri has. I once read something from Steven King saying how Twilight ripped off Roswell. So true. They should make all of Shiri's boyfriends and husbands and ex's as the contestants and make Shiri the suitor.

• Love 1
On 6/10/2016 at 5:10 PM, phoenics said:

Actually I have some of the same concerns as the author - and I had them before the premiere.  And I had them before that tumblr was written.  I think my worry is that they short cut a few things.  Last season, they clearly showed that neither black woman fit the tropes that the Everlasting producers wanted to put on the women.  Shamiqua was nowhere close to a trope - and she never caved in and made it to the final four.  

This time, they haven't really made it clear what they mean by "blacktivist" and they haven't shown any nuance yet for Ruby - no other qualities were called out - unless we were supposed to take her being educated at Berkeley currently as the "extra".

As I said in the episode thread - it felt like an excuse by the show to peddle in racist stereotypes in a lazy way.  It also irritates me that even with a black bachelor, we're still gonna end up with the black women "othered" and shoved to the sidelines, while the white women get to "be themselves" and still get hand-held to the final two because "AmeriKKKa".  If the show doesn't REALLY delve into why that's BS, then it's still just peddling the stereotypes and white supremacy, while shrugging that "it's just how AmeriKKKa wants it - don't blame us AmeriKKKa is racist!" while not really SPEAKING to the issues they are delving into.  

I'm probably asking too much.

UnREAL excels by explicitly calling out when it is twisting people into stereotypes - if the show doesn't make it VERY plain when they are twisting folks into stereotypes then it fails - especially with racial issues.

I too have a lot of concerns about how UnREAL will ultimately handle race and racism (especially anti-black racism) and how it intersects with sexuality, but I'm cautiously optimistic and I just don't personally come to the same conclusion the writer does that, "Season 2 cannot be saved" after seeing merely one episode. I would rather see how the show handles it and then critique what they've presented because I think the work should at least speak for itself first before I apply my opinion to it. How do we know Ruby is going to be "othered" and pushed to the sidelines yet? How sure can we be there Jay won't have a complex and complicated response to the portrayal of race on this show?

That being said, while I think the writer comes to her conclusions prematurely and would have liked her to be more explicit in her critiques, I absolutely do not think they are invalid to have, nor is it invalid to want the show to be accountable to how it portrays its characters. I don't think there's such a thing as asking too much either for a show to do and it is important to voice these concerns as entertainment attempts to diversify itself.

• Love 4
(edited)
11 minutes ago, romantic idiot said:

I think the mistake is in thinking UnReal is tackling race. It's till tackling genre, IMO. But we'll see.

I agree.  Unfortunately for UnReal, this is turning into a racism discussion all over the place.  This show flies in the face of every PC notion out there.  This is what makes the show so much fun to enjoy.  It is dark, it is entertainment.  Someone committed suicide last season.  They go to places no reality show goes.  

Maybe it was too soon to have a black lead because it seems to be derailing the premise.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
(edited)

That was a long but interesting read. Here are some thoughts. I thought Sarah was working in Hawaii not California? I also want to know why Marti Noxon left UnREAL?

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1

Sarah Gertrude Shapiro joins the long list of showrunners (basically everyone but Vince Gilligan) who should never talk about their show.

The Marti Noxon bad blood is fine. That's probably creative ego's butting heads. And I don't mind her attacks on Lifetime execs, that's punching upward. But the stuff about Josh Kelly is completely unnecessary, and that's coming from someone who's been very critical of the character.

• Love 11