Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I was roaring at the Tic Tac bit. Seth has been on fire lately!

That Tic Tac bit was picked up all over late night and social media, but none that I watched mentioned that he was probably supposed to be using the props as an example of "shrinkflation," which is a form of inflation.
If anyone was going to mention that, I would bet it would be Seth. But nope.
Shrinkflation was a buzz word on some of those entertainment/news spots a month or so ago, but I guess not too many remember?
If the person doing the Tic Tac bit remembered the term "shrinkflation," likely he figured his audience wouldn't, so he (or the teleprompter person) substituted "inflation," which did not make it any better.

Edited by shapeshifter
On 8/17/2024 at 8:31 PM, shapeshifter said:

That Tic Tac bit was picked up all over late night and social media, but none that I watched mentioned that he was probably supposed to be using the props as an example of "shrinkflation," which is a form of inflation.
If anyone was going to mention that, I would bet it would be Seth. But nope.
Shrinkflation was a buzz word on some of those entertainment/news spots a month or so ago, but I guess not too many remember?
If the person doing the Tic Tac bit remembered the term "shrinkflation," likely he figured his audience wouldn't, so he (or the teleprompter person) substituted "inflation," which did not make it any better.

I still haven’t gotten over 59oz cartons of orange juice.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Worthy of being an Emmy-winning submission, and that’s still my opinion after having watched Colbert’s and Fallon’s bits post-night 3 of the DNC

I COMPLETELY lost it at that last “Peanuts” 😂

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I think last night I would have interviewed the whole band and not just Fred, who, let’s be honest, we hear from enough.

I also noticed all week Seth (wasn’t allowed to?) never said exactly why this was the end for the 8G Band.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, opus said:

I think last night I would have interviewed the whole band and not just Fred, who, let’s be honest, we hear from enough.

I couldn't agree more. I always fast forward through Fred's scenes.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, opus said:

I also noticed all week Seth (wasn’t allowed to?) never said exactly why this was the end for the 8G Band.

Seth is a good company man who owes a lot to Lorne and NBC. Reports said that he did all he could to negotiate a budget that would include the band. No need to bring, or imply, any ill-will during the tribute, it's just business.

• Sad 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I think I read somewhere that losing the band is a budget issue.

It's an interesting bit of evidence on how the Late Night TV world has changed a ton in the last 15 years. Because even with a band the budget for Seth's version of Late Night must be tiny. Pretty much the entire show takes place from the desk with hardly even any kind of big props or anything like that. But looking back to when Conan was hosting Late Night he was doing remotes bits (including travelling overseas), he filmed the show from other cities and he even did a claymation episode. The only time Seth leaves the studio is for Day drinking.

Plus Conan's band leader would go on to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame so he couldn't have been cheap.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

It’s interesting, Seth’s Late Night is the least goofy of all the Late Nights. Dave was odd and dry, Conan was absurdly hilarious, Jimmy has a place in my heart for being warm and silly and he was at his most natural.

• Like 3