Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

41 minutes ago, twoods said:

That is insane. Is he worth that? Is ANYONE worth that?

I think that is too much to be giving away, but I think they are willing to give up that much because they are in win-now mode and think he could help them compete better. Especially against the Warriors. Last year, they did have the Warriors down 3-2 in the WCF. I think they believe Jimmy could help their chances of getting to the finals,possibly winning a championship.

Also, I thought that the Lakers did a nice job tonight getting the win at home. Lance was doing some of the things he does best and gave them a nice spark. He did a good job in the 4th quarter of rallying them and helping them get the win.

And I am very disappointed with the OKC Thunder. They should have won that game against Boston, but continue to do the same things that hurt them last year. (Not giving much effort, playing erratic, sloppy, turning over the ball, making bad shots, etc.._ They are still winless and could be due for another disappointing up and down season, if they don't try and do better as a team.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Well, those Warriors are playing the sucky Knicks tonight in New York. It is going to be a stroll in the park for those Warriors. If ESPN's Golden Boy doesn't score at least 50 points on the sorry Knicks tonight & mocked them in the process, I'm going to be very disappointed. 

ESPN may talk about LeBron James on an every day basis, even him tweeting something is news on ESPN. But, not everyone likes or root for LeBron James on there. Pretty much everybody on ESPN roots & constantly gushing for Stephen Curry. A lot of them also root & always showing love for the Warriors.

• Love 1

Still mystified, Magog! Whats not to love about Stephen Curry? Have you actually watched him play? Totally brilliant, completely unselfish, entirely filled with the joy of basketball. And he is wonderful off the court as well: A great example of a faith-filled family man who gives back to his community and more on a continual basis (do you know about his ongoing work to provide malaria nets to Africa?).

• Love 7
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

Still mystified, Magog! Whats not to love about Stephen Curry? Have you actually watched him play? Totally brilliant, completely unselfish, entirely filled with the joy of basketball. And he is wonderful off the court as well: A great example of a faith-filled family man who gives back to his community and more on a continual basis (do you know about his ongoing work to provide malaria nets to Africa?).

No!  Curry is an evil famewhore who is evil and a famewhore!  And he's a poor sport because he beats the Cavs who is MEAN to other teams!  And ESPN talks about him too much!  LeBron James, however, is none of those things!

• Love 9

I don't have a problem with his charity work & I have a lot of respect for that. I just find his personality very grating & his aw-shucks type attitude just really rubs me the wrong way. He is basically Gallant in Goofus & Gallant. Plus, ESPN is always shoving him in our faces acting like he reinvented the NBA & that he is borderline Jordanesque. 

Why can't he be more like Draymond? At least, Draymond has a sense of humor & never makes me frown like Curry does. 

Edited by Magog
2 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

No!  Curry is an evil famewhore who is evil and a famewhore!  And he's a poor sport because he beats the Cavs who is MEAN to other teams!  And ESPN talks about him too much!  LeBron James, however, is none of those things!

And his wife is a witch and his children are demon seeds!  That whole family is possessed! 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I listened to ESPN Radio from 5 to 1 today and didn’t hear them mention Steph once but I heard ALL about LeBron multiple times.  It’s stupid.

Yeah, because they've won two damn games.  Big whoop.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

And his wife is a witch and his children are demon seeds!  That whole family is possessed! 

LOLOL. Don't forget, they eat little orphan children for breakfast.

And they use plastic straws and don't compost. And they wash their jeans every other day.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah and they even put syrup on them!

And even worse - it's organic genuine maple syrup they picked up straight from a tree in Canada, which they traveled to and from on their own private jet. Ugh, so fancy and evil!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, because they've won two damn games.  Big whoop.

It’s one game, which makes it more ridiculous that they keep talking about Lebron. I’m a Lakers fan and even I’m getting sick of this nonsense. I thought when Shaq came it was insane, but this is much worse.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I listened to ESPN Radio from 5 to 1 today and didn’t hear them mention Steph once but I heard ALL about LeBron multiple times.  It’s stupid.

Right? How anyone can complain about Steph Curry's media profile, when LeBron James exists, is utterly beyond me. I listen to a couple of NBA podcasts, and they essentially have a LeBron Half Hour in every episode, before whizzing over the rest of the league at a lightning pace. Hell, they've not mentioned the Warriors at all, other than to say, 'can the Bucks/Lakers/Celtics/Nuggets beat the Warriors?' and, 'man, I hope Durant leaves the Warriors next year.'

But LeBron? It's all about, 'how does he feel about his teammates?', 'will he want changes to the roster before much longer?', 'how can the Lakers make sure they put the best lineup around LeBron?', 'do you think LeBron not punching guys the other night means he's not happy with his teammates?' And then the usual, 'LeBron is amazing, and when the Lakers lose it's definitely not anything to do with him. But when they win, he's the man.'

• Love 7

Yeah, this is why it's just delusional to think Curry is ESPN's Golden Boy.  More than half of all NBA coverage on ESPN is centered around LeBron James.  I mean, come the fuck on, there is no other way to spin it.

• Love 7

Last night, I actually watched that expected beatdown that those Warriors gave to the useless Knicks (128-100). Unfortunately, it was Kevin Durant (eyeroll) beating up on the sorry Knicks (41 points, with 25 alone in the 4th Quarter). I didn't get very much of Stephen Curry mocking the Knicks nor did he scored 50 points on them (he got 29).

Just watching this massacre is making me wish that the Knicks can be contracted & that the Harlem Globetrotters can take their place. They would put up a better fight against those Warriors than the Knicks & would be a much more respectable franchise than the Knicks.

And I don't know why some people are still thinking that Kevin Durant might want to go to that rotting sewage (Knicks) next season. If he doesn't care anymore about getting rings & wants to deal with the complete opposite of the Warriors, he will go to them.

4 hours ago, Magog said:

Last night, I actually watched that expected beatdown that those Warriors gave to the useless Knicks (128-100). Unfortunately, it was Kevin Durant (eyeroll) beating up on the sorry Knicks (41 points, with 25 alone in the 4th Quarter). I didn't get very much of Stephen Curry mocking the Knicks nor did he scored 50 points on them (he got 29).

Just watching this massacre is making me wish that the Knicks can be contracted & that the Harlem Globetrotters can take their place. They would put up a better fight against those Warriors than the Knicks & would be a much more respectable franchise than the Knicks.

And I don't know why some people are still thinking that Kevin Durant might want to go to that rotting sewage (Knicks) next season. If he doesn't care anymore about getting rings & wants to deal with the complete opposite of the Warriors, he will go to them.

"The" instead of "Those" Warriors??  Why, Magog, are you growing soft?  Are the Warriors finally breaking you down??? ;-)

Curry knows you've been judging him and was shamed into playing much more humbly last night – not scoring very much, not mocking lesser beings, you know, the usual.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Magog said:

Wow, you hate the Knicks with a passion too. 

They're a team in full rebuild mode, with some young players who have potential but aren't there yet, and their one star out injured. They're odds on for a lottery pick. Hardly surprising that they get tatered by the best team in the league, is it? I don't think Kevin Durant needs to be ashamed of being a really good player. No one in the NBA can guard him, when he's on the top of his game, which he was last night.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3

According to various reports Ty Lue has been fired from the Cleveland Cavs. The Cavs have really struggled this season and are winless (0-6) Things were not looking up for them, especially with Kevin Love missing games. Larry Drew will be promoted as interim head coach.  I wonder if he will end up staying as the head coach of and if they will end up hiring someone else to try and fill that position long term. I could still see them struggling even under a new coach, they really are not good without LeBron.

Also, I thought that the Lakers/Spurs game last night was another good one. It has been entertaining to watch them play each other in their matchups so far this year. The Spurs look solid early on this season. They are doing a good job of managing without Kawhi/Manu/Tony. DeMar has been doing a nice job of fitting in with this team.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25106070/cavaliers-fire-coach-tyronn-lue-0-6-start

Edited by Jx223
4 hours ago, Jx223 said:

According to various reports Ty Lue has been fired from the Cleveland Cavs. The Cavs have really struggled this season and are winless (0-6) Things were not looking up for them, especially with Kevin Love missing games. Larry Drew will be promoted as interim head coach.  I wonder if he will end up staying as the head coach of and if they will end up hiring someone else to try and fill that position long term. I could still see them struggling even under a new coach, they really are not good without LeBron.

I don't think it matters. The team has already started Gone Fishing & Collin Sexton hasn't gotten me remotely excited. Matter of fact, I don't even know what he is doing right now. Tyrone Lue would be missed though. 

"The" instead of "Those" Warriors??  Why, Magog, are you growing soft?  Are the Warriors finally breaking you down??? ;-)

Curry knows you've been judging him and was shamed into playing much more humbly last night – not scoring very much, not mocking lesser beings, you know, the usual.

No, they are not breaking me down. They always give me constant stomach aches & nausea. Plus, its making my eyes bleed. 

Speaking of those Warriors, this actually made me laugh. 

Deadspin - The Warriors & Fergie

Edited by Magog

That Warriors video trolling Fergie's awful national anthem cracked me up. 

KD flapping his arm.  That player (don't know his name) hopping across the screen.  Steph at the end bopping his head.  Draymond being Draymond.  LOL  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

This is one of those, "We can't fire the team, but we have to do something."

16 minutes ago, Magog said:

I don't think it matters. The team has already started Gone Fishing & Collin Sexton hasn't gotten me remotely excited. Matter of fact, I don't even know what he is doing right now. Tyrone Lue would be missed though. 

I wonder how Larry Drew might fare as interim HC/possible replacement for Ty Lue. I have always liked him and thought he got a rough deal with the Milwaukee/Jason Kidd coaching situation.

Also, the seat may be getting hotter for Billy Donovan. The Thunder are struggling as well. They are last in the Western Conference and have the 2nd worst record in the league after the Cavs. And they have been producing mediocre results over the last couple of years. And he has more talent on his team than the Cavs currently have.

If OKC loses tonight to the Suns and maybe another game or so, he could be the next one to go. If so, I would like to see them take a look at someone like Mark Jackson, who I think could get more out of the players and would hold them more accountable.

Edited by Jx223

According to Brian Windhorst, the main reason Ty was fired, was because he did things expressly against the wishes of Altman, and didn’t let Altman know.  Mostly playing JR & Kyle in place of younger players.

Everyone knew the Cavs were going to stink, this year. Build a team around Kevin Love? Good luck with that one. They have the worst roster in the league, the remnants of one that was built to suit one player only... that guy isn't there any more.

Firing Lue probably won't make a difference. But if he was playing old, wastes of space instead of giving minutes to younger guys, I can understand the front office not being happy. When your team sucks, the last thing you need to be doing is restricting the development of young players. Who needs to see J.R. Smith or Tristan Thompson, quite honestly?

• Love 2

Those Warriors completely tortured the Bulls 149-124 tonight. That game was over at tip-off. Klay Thompson curbstomp those chumps scoring 52 points & making 14 3-pointers (A new NBA record & 10 of them were made in the 1st half). It was 92-50 at halftime & I was disappointed that those Warriors didn't attempt to go for the record of most NBA points scored (I don't know what that number is. I'm thinking its in the 170's.) & bring even more humiliation to the Bulls. The only good thing about this beatdown that it wasn't Stephen Curry doing this. Otherwise, we will never hear the end of this & how Jordanesque that was.

Reading some of the wonderful reaction to the Warriors/Bulls game last night and one person brilliantly wondered if the Bulls would do better if they sent five actual bulls out against Golden State LOL! Just a suggestion....

• Love 5
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

Reading some of the wonderful reaction to the Warriors/Bulls game last night and one person brilliantly wondered if the Bulls would do better if they sent five actual bulls out against Golden State LOL! Just a suggestion....

Nah.  The bulls would just stand there in awe and watch Klay and Steph shoot threes. 

• Love 4

Nice article in the Chicago Tribune: 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-bulls-warriors-20181029-story.html

Everything you needed to know about the history-chasing Warriors’ unselfishness played out in full display as they set more records Monday night at the United Center.

Stephen Curry entered with an NBA record seven straight games with at least five 3-pointers.

And yet, throughout the Warriors’ 149-124 decimation of the Bulls, Curry barely looked for that shot. The entire team — so adept at sacrificing, so selfless for the greater good — focused its energy on the Klay ThompsonReclamation Project.

Thompson scored 52 points in 27 minutes, including 36 in the first half, and exited to loud cheers from an opposing crowd. In one third-quarter stretch, with Thompson sporting a yellow headband to help close a cut made by an inadvertent elbow from a teammate, the Warriors passed up easier shots and sought him out in transition for three straight 3-point attempts.

That’s unselfishness.

“At that point, the guys were just feeding him every time,” Warriors coach Steve Kerr said. “I think that’s how much they care about Klay and felt for him because he’s had a rough start to the season. Obviously, he got it going tonight to say the least.”

• Love 3

I'm really enjoying all these journalists saying "hey, the Warriors are really fun again!" Be it begrudgingly or with pleasure. It makes such a difference, hearing them talk about something joyous, like Klay blitzing the single game 3-point record, or Steph doing pretty much whatever he wants, on any given night, over them griping about LeBron's teammates, or how the Rockets are inexplicably worse this season (despite losing half their bench guys and replacing them with Carmelo Anthony).

I also enjoy the fact that several teams have ruined the narratives that most journalists wanted, for the season. Boston aren't the best in the East, so far, the Spurs aren't falling apart, LeBron isn't going to magically bring 55 wins to a Lakers team made up of misfits and kids. And most relevantly, the Warriors aren't imploding because of warring egos.

• Love 7

The Lakers continue to struggle. They really struggled tonight against Toronto, (in a game where Kawhi didn't even play). At one point in the 1st quarter the Raptors were up like 41-10 on the Lakers. Serge Ibaka ended up scoring like 13 FG in a row, and had a career high against them.  The Lakers have been playing poorly defensively and don't really have any shooters. Last night they beat the Trailblazers but only won by four after letting a 20+ pt lead get away from them. I think they will continue to struggle and I do not think they will do nearly as well as a lot of analysts predicted they will. 

Also, I am glad that OKC has won four games in the row. They looked good in their win against the Wizards on Friday night. I hope they continue to do well, and that they aren't very inconsistent like they were last season. And I'm also glad that the Pacers are doing well. They won two close games recently and Victor Oladipo was clutch for them in their win against Boston last night. 

Edited by Jx223

It’s interesting that the narrative last season when the Lakers had any measure of success was that Luke was drawing the potential out of his young talent but suddenly now he can’t coach.  

Hmm.  I wonder whatever could be the difference between last year and this year?

• Love 6

That was a great win tonight for the Bucks against the Warriors. They were bothering the Warriors with their size and length. And they also played really good defense and played very well in the paint. The Bucks have been flying under the radar so far this year, but they have been playing very well. They have also beat Toronto as well this season. (It was without Kawhi, but the Raptors are still a good team without him.) I wonder how well they end up doing this season. They could be a sleeper team.

Also, I was glad to see the Thunder get their 7th win in a row against the Rockets tonight. They did it without Russ who is still sitting out due to his ankle injury. Overall, they have been playing good basketball lately and their bench looks better than it did last year. I hope they continue to play well and that they are consistent.  The Rockets OTOH didn't look so well, they definitely don't look as good as they did last year. Though, maybe they will get things together and improve. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

According to reports from people like Adrian Wojnarowski, the Minnesota-T Wolves have decided to trade Jimmy Butler to the 76ers for Dario Saric, Robert Covington.

Edited by Jx223

According to Adrian Wojnarowski and other sources the Warriors have suspended Draymond for tonight's game for his alteraction with Kevin Durant last night. They got into it after Draymond didn't pass the ball to KD at the end of the Clippers game (which resulted in a loss). There are reports that Draymond challenged KD about free agency and even a report from Yahoo sports that he called KD the "B" word multiple times. The tension spilled over into the Warrior's lockeroom where multiple players confronted Draymond about his decision making at the end of the game. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25269250/draymond-green-golden-state-warriors-suspended-dust-kevin-durant

Also, Caris Levert from the Brooklyn Nets will not need surgery after his terrible looking leg injury last night. It is possible that he may be back this year. I am glad that Caris's injury didn't end up being worse than what it was and I wish him a healthy and speedy recovery. He had been playing well for the Nets this season.

Edited by Jx223

I feel like I must be missing something with all of the pearl-clutching (from the media) about the fact that Draymond talked about KD’s free agency.

He’s not allowed to have an opinion about this?  He’s not allowed to care about next year?  And this was leaked out, as far as I know, so that’s also sketchy.

I mean, yeah, KD’s free agency is his business, but not totally.  It’s like any other business on earth - 99% of the time, as soon as someone puts in their notice, they are checked out.  And it affects everyone else in the company, so I can imagine Draymond could feel that way too.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I feel like I must be missing something with all of the pearl-clutching (from the media) about the fact that Draymond talked about KD’s free agency.

He’s not allowed to have an opinion about this?  He’s not allowed to care about next year?  And this was leaked out, as far as I know, so that’s also sketchy.

I mean, yeah, KD’s free agency is his business, but not totally.  It’s like any other business on earth - 99% of the time, as soon as someone puts in their notice, they are checked out.  And it affects everyone else in the company, so I can imagine Draymond could feel that way too.

I didn't get the impression Draymond felt KD had checked out; but that he held onto the ball in hopes of getting the winning shot for himself, to make himself look better as guys hoping to cash in on free agency do.

If nothing else, this finally explodes the silly myth that the Warriors are somehow magically above it all; that they sit in a circle, hold hands and sing 'Kumbayah' while other teams are fighting and fussing.  Obviously, there are real human beings with real opinions and emotions involved and the team concept is sometimes lost, just like every other team.

But Draymond was the one who hogged the ball and didn't pass it to Durant, not vice versa.

I agree some of the media pearl-clutching is a little ridiculous, but I do also think it's a cheap shot for Draymond to yell at Durant about his impending free agency just to distract from the fact that he (Draymond) made a bad basketball decision that cost the Warriors a chance to win the game in regulation. 1 because Draymond should just admit that he made a bad decision that may have cost his team the game and 2 because it could be really corrosive to team chemistry. If his impending free agency bothers the other plays (which is certainly natural), there is a time and place to have that conversation with Durant in a way that's productive, or at least defuses tension.  Right after a game they lost because Draymond made a bad decision isn't it. That's just going to escalate tension.

I don't think I'd want Draymond as a teammate. I suspect I'd find him exhausting.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

I don't think I'd want Draymond as a teammate. I suspect I'd find him exhausting.

I think he's probably exhausting to most around him. That's why it's been a blessing for the Warriors that Steph and Klay are so easygoing, and the roleplayers around them are experienced vets who are happy to do their bit. He certainly overreacted in this incident, but it always amazes me just how egotistical most top basketball players are. Far more than any other sport, it seems, these feuds between players come to dominate entire franchises. I guess it's down to them realising the immense value they have.

But I tend to agree with Klay on this issue - they'll get over it and start enjoying winning again soon enough. Most people are smart enough to put their egos aside, when the rewards are as great as those that this Warriors team is going for.

• Love 5

This Markelle Fultz thing is so strange and depressing. I actually hope that it is a shoulder injury, because the alternative might not be fixable (a la Steve Blass).

And on the same day, Sixers fans found out that Zaire Smith, their first round pick this year, might miss the entire season because of complications from a previously undiagnosed food allergy.

But hey, Jimmy Butler.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

Tonight, LeBron & the Lakers are playing the Cleveland Cavaliers. I'm very certain that he will get a very rousing ovation from the Cleveland faithful for what he brought them (That 2016 NBA Championship & never ever having ESPN mocking them gleefully about 1964 ever again.). Maybe, Collin Sexton can do something worth a damn tonight (he hasn't done anything worthy yet), but I know that its not going to happen.

As for the current crop of the Cavaliers, the season is over & Larry Drew can GTFO right now. J R Smith is already one foot out of the door (His basketball IQ will fit in perfectly on the Knicks or Wizards) & "coach" Larry Drew can join him out the door. I'm already tuned out on Larry Drew & he makes that useless dunce Mike Brown (currently being useless on those Warriors) look like a genius.

BTW, that other game on ESPN tonight (Thunder - those Warriors) will be nap-inducing & probably stomach-turning. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Magog said:

As for the current crop of the Cavaliers, the season is over & Larry Drew can GTFO right now.

I believe the phrase is, "Stop tryin', for Zion."

8 hours ago, Magog said:

J R Smith is already one foot out of the door (His basketball IQ will fit in perfectly on the Knicks

Been there, done that.

• Love 1

The  Celtics are so baffling. Losing to the Knicks at home to fall to 7th place in the East.

Part of me thinks that if we were to randomly subtract any two of the top eight players on the roster the team would be much, much better.

I was sorry to see OKC rookie player Diallo get hurt tonight. His injury was pretty rough looking. I wish him a healthy and speedy recovery.

I thought that OKC got a really good win against the Warriors tonight. As a whole the team played well, Dennis Shroeder in particular played very well. He's been a nice addition to the Thunder this season. I liked that him and Russ were played together at times and that Russ actually let him run the offense multiple times while they were on the floor together.

The offense was running well through him and I liked that Russ recognized that. Russ didn't have the greatest game, but Dennis helped keep the Thunder along with solid games from Paul George and Steven Adams. I am glad to see that Paul has been playing well for the last few games. I hope he keeps that up.

Also, after the results from tonight's game the Memphis Grizzlies are now the #1 seed in the Western Conference. There is only like a couple of games separating around 10 teams in this conference right now. 

On 11/20/2018 at 8:07 PM, xaxat said:

This Markelle Fultz thing is so strange and depressing. I actually hope that it is a shoulder injury, because the alternative might not be fixable (a la Steve Blass).

And on the same day, Sixers fans found out that Zaire Smith, their first round pick this year, might miss the entire season because of complications from a previously undiagnosed food allergy.

But hey, Jimmy Butler.

The 76ers have he worst luck with 1st round draft picks. They get hurt nearly every single year and have to sit out for almost their entire rookie seasons.