Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

(edited)

It was just reported on Sportscenter that the Lakers have just traded D'Angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov to the Brooklyn Nets for Brook Lopez and the 27th pick in the draft. There were reports earlier that the Lakers were trying to get another first round pick. Also, it's being reported that they are engaging in trade talks with the Pacers for Paul George. The Clippers, Wizards and Rockets are also engaging in trade talks with the Pacers about Paul George.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19689275/indiana-pacers-los-angeles-lakers-talking-trade-paul-george

Edited by Jx223
2 hours ago, Jx223 said:

It was just reported on Sportscenter that the Lakers have just traded D'Angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov to the Brooklyn Nets for Brook Lopez and the 27th pick in the draft. There were reports earlier that the Lakers were trying to get another first round pick. Also, it's being reported that they are engaging in trade talks with the Pacers for Paul George. The Clippers, Wizards and Rockets are also engaging in trade talks with the Pacers about Paul George.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19689275/indiana-pacers-los-angeles-lakers-talking-trade-paul-george

I think this makes it obvious LA is picking Ball. 

Surprised the Pacers are getting so many teams willing to talk about a trade for George.  Of course you don't know what they are offering.  Could be just trying to get him for cheap for a year hoping they can convince him to stay

And this is out of nowhere.  Hornets trade for Dwight Howard.  Marco Bellineli, Plumlee and they swap some second round picks. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19692632/atlanta-hawks-trade-dwight-howard-charlotte-hornets

Not sure how I feel about this.  Helps the Hornets defensively.  But Howard adds nothing on offense and most Hornets fans feel they need shooters, not a big inside presence.  Plus Cody Zeller had played rather well at center for them and is a much better offensive player. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

The pieces are beginning to move. And is it me, or is the NBA off-season more suspenseful than the playoffs?

I think it much more exciting and interesting than the playoffs were this year. I enjoy hearing about all these trades and potential trades/moves.

50 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think this makes it obvious LA is picking Ball. 

Surprised the Pacers are getting so many teams willing to talk about a trade for George.  Of course you don't know what they are offering.  Could be just trying to get him for cheap for a year hoping they can convince him to stay

I am interested in hearing what the different teams have been offering for him. I wonder what the Wizards/Rockets/Clippers were offering for him. I've heard reports that the Cavs offered Kevin Love for him but that the Pacers don't really want Kevin love. I also read reports that the Lakers are currently offering the the 27th, 28th picks and Julius Randle or Jordan Clarkson for him. It was also reported that they wanted the #2 pick from the Lakers, (but they aren't getting that).The Pacers  definitely need to try and get the best deal they can for him (which might actually be the Lakers deal.) 

40 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And this is out of nowhere.  Hornets trade for Dwight Howard.  Marco Bellineli, Plumlee and they swap some second round picks. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19692632/atlanta-hawks-trade-dwight-howard-charlotte-hornets

Not sure how I feel about this.  Helps the Hornets defensively.  But Howard adds nothing on offense and most Hornets fans feel they need shooters, not a big inside presence.  Plus Cody Zeller had played rather well at center for them and is a much better offensive player. 

Unfortunately things have not really gone that well for Dwight in the last few years. He was even having issues and was arguing with Dennis Schroder on the court at one point in Atlanta this year.  He didn't really seem to have that strong of a presence in playoff games this year, and at points was barely scoring. I wonder how things will work out for him in Charlotte. 

Edited by Jx223
49 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

The pieces are beginning to move. And is it me, or is the NBA off-season more suspenseful than the playoffs?

Anything is more suspenseful than this year's playoffs. The Bachelor, Transformers 5, whether or not my pot of water will boil....

• Love 3
(edited)

Here is some more information about a deal that the Lakers tried to make happen in order to acquire Paul George from the Pacers:

According to David Aldridge the Lakers were willing to trade the #2 pick for the Kings #5 and #10 picks. If that had happened they would have given one of those picks, plus the 27th, 28th and Randle or Clarkson to the Pacers for Paul George. But the Kings didn't want to do that deal. If the Lakers had made that happen, I think that would have been a good trade for the Pacers. They would have gotten three first round picks (including a Top 10 pick) plus another young player for Paul George. 

Also, there are conflicting reports regarding the Clippers trying to trade DeAndre Jordan. There are reports that say that they tried to trade him to the Suns for the 4th pick and Tyson Chandler but the Suns refused that offer. There is also a report from a Clipper reporter saying that they aren't actively trying to trade him. I have heard that they were interested in trading him before. I wonder if they really are trying to trade him.

Edited by Jx223
9 hours ago, Jx223 said:

Here is some more information about a deal that the Lakers tried to make happen in order to acquire Paul George from the Pacers:

According to David Aldridge the Lakers were willing to trade the #2 pick for the Kings #5 and #10 picks. If that had happened they would have given one of those picks, plus the 27th, 28th and Randle or Clarkson to the Pacers for Paul George. But the Kings didn't want to do that deal. If the Lakers had made that happen, I think that would have been a good trade for the Pacers. They would have gotten three first round picks (including a Top 10 pick) plus another young player for Paul George. 

Also, there are conflicting reports regarding the Clippers trying to trade DeAndre Jordan. There are reports that say that they tried to trade him to the Suns for the 4th pick and Tyson Chandler but the Suns refused that offer. There is also a report from a Clipper reporter saying that they aren't actively trying to trade him. I have heard that they were interested in trading him before. I wonder if they really are trying to trade him.

That would be a good trade for the Pacers. 

The easier thing though would be just the #2 pick for Paul George, even without Randle/Clarkson.  I would take that if I am the Pacers and seems it would be easier to do.  The downside for the Lakers is then they miss out on a top 10 pick, I think the Pacers have around the #18 pick.  They can always then tried to swap the #18 and randle/Clarkson to another team and move up again to the top 10. 

3 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

You should feel thrilled that the Hornets unloaded Miles Plumlee's horrible contract.

Charlotte Hornets: Miles Plumlee Move Was the Worst Trade in NBA This Season

Yes, that part is good, but you have to take on Dwight Howard to get that done

It doesn't seem Howard is wanted anywhere he goes lately.  3rd team in 3 years.  Not a good sign.  Atlanta had him a year and now is looking to trade him for bad contracts. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Here is some more news from today about potential trades. According to Adrian Wojnarowski, the Suns are interested in trading their #4 pick for an established player. It's being reported that they had discussions with the Bulls, Knicks and Pacers to try and land Porzingis, Jimmy Butler or Paul George. It's also being reported that the Suns are willing to deal Eric Bledsoe in a trade deal. I think this news is interesting especially since it is also being reported that the Knicks are interested in getting Josh Jackson/landing a top 4 pick and getting an established starter.

They have also been taken calls about Porzingis. Phil also mentioned that he didn't like that Porzingis missed his exit meetings, even though it was reported that reasons he missed them included that he was upset about how the direction of the team was going, and he also doesn't like the way that Phil has treated Carmelo Anthony. I could see the Knicks making a trade with the Suns to get the #4 pick so they can take Josh Jackson and also get Eric Bledsoe.

Also, Nick Young has decided to become a free agent, which frees up a bit more cap space for the Lakers.

Edited by Jx223

The NBA is my least favorite of the 4 major sports but I can appreciate intrigue and interesting activity.  This week has been fun, especially the Twitter trade between the Hawks and ... whoever it was, with an assist from the Clippers.

(edited)

Unfortunately things have not really gone that well for Dwight in the last few years. He was even having issues and was arguing with Dennis Schroder on the court at one point in Atlanta this year.  He didn't really seem to have that strong of a presence in playoff games this year, and at points was barely scoring. I wonder how things will work out for him in Charlotte. 

Well, Dwight Howard can bring some more of that "fake hustle" to the Hornets. He hasn't been the same since he left Orlando & hurt his back. I know that Kobe is laughing at his sorry ass right now. Dwight Howard is the complete opposite of Kobe & I can't seem to muster very much sympathy for Dwight Howard.

I'm not very happy that GM David Griffin was basically shown the door & that the Cavaliers are thinking about having Chauncey Billips be their next GM. I don't know what Chauncey's qualifications are that he might want to be a GM for the Cavaliers, but I don't have a good feeling about this. I wouldn't trust Chauncey Billups in rebuilding the Cavaliers after it lands in the mud pit if LeBron leaves after next season. Chauncey seems like a nice guy & is very likeable. But I don't think LeBron cares very much about Chauncey Billups as much as he cares about David Griffin when it comes to upgrading the team. Its bad enough that all this chaos started last week (losing to those Warriors) & it snowballed into LeBron thinking about leaving again after next season. 

ESPN has to be licking their chops in excitement & hoping that if he decides leaves Cleveland again, that he will be with the Lakers with Big Baller Brand & Paul George (once he gets there). Then, they (especially Stephen A Smith) can finally root for their favorite NBA team (next to those Warriors) once again. 

Oh, I forgot about this till now. 23 yrs ago today, the Knicks lost to the Rockets in the 1994 NBA Finals. John Starks went 2-18 that night. That was as close as the Knicks were to winning an NBA Championship since 1973. Today, they're in the mud pit & not getting out of it anytime season. Even John Starks (despite shooting 2-18 on that faithful night) showed more heart during his time with the Knicks than current GM Phil Jackson. 

7 hours ago, Magog said:

Edited by Magog
(edited)

According to Adrian Wojnaroswki and other sources on Twitter the Bulls are finalizing a deal to send Jimmy Butler to the T-Wolves for their 7th pick, Kris Dunn and Zach LaVine.  There have been rumors for a while now that the the T-Wolves wanted Jimmy. I believe he did want to stay in Chicago but I wish him the best with the T-Wolves. I think he can help them improve as a team.

Also congrats to Markelle and Lonzo for being the top #2 picks in the draft. I don't always care for the way that LaVar Ball acts but Lonzo seems like a nice kid, and so does Markelle and a lot of other young men in this draft.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
(edited)

In a surprise to absolutely nobody, Big Baller Brand (Lonzo Ball) is going to the Lakers. His daddy is an attendance at the Draft tonight. Let the slurping & rooting for Lonzo & his daddy Big Baller Brand on ESPN begin. BTW, his daddy (Big Baller Brand) just predicted on ESPN that his son Lonzo is going to lead the Lakers to the Playoffs in his first year. I'm certain that those Warriors are licking their chops right now on making a mockery of Big Baller Brand.

I'm sure that Paul George is thrilled right now about his future teammate. 

Edited by Magog

The Lakers with picking Ball will need to control his father and him. Or it'll be a mess among the players trying to work as a team with the Ball's thinking they're better than Lebron and doesn't need anyone else.

• Love 1

Ugh.  Now I'll have to grab the remote whenever bigmouth daddy Ball comes on.  Now that his son has been drafted by the Lakers, he'll be even more insufferable. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Ugh.  Now I'll have to grab the remote whenever bigmouth daddy Ball comes on.  Now that his son has been drafted by the Lakers, he'll be even more insufferable. 

I feel bad for Lonzo. He can't just be himself and focus on becoming an NBA player--he has to carry around baggage from his asshole of a father.  I hope it doesn't affect team chemistry. 

I was trying to explain to my kids that Venus and Serena Williams' dad was almost this bad when the girls turned pro as teenagers, announcing to the world how much talent they had and how they would change tennis. I thought he was arrogant and annoying, but I don't remember disliking him as much as I do Lonzo's dad. Am I remembering Richard too fondly? Or maybe it's because Venus and Serena were able to back up his smack talk--they were (are) great, and they have changed the way tennis is played. 

But back to the NBA--it seems that every team except Golden State is looking to majorly retool its roster. Most years, it seems that playoff teams talk about adding a player here or there to make their team a championship contender. But a lot of teams are in total rebuilding mode, even playoff teams. Or am I crazy and it's really like that every year?

• Love 1

God Ball's dad is an ass. 

I'm a lifelong Lakers hater.  But even if that wasn't true, I would hate them now. 

Just imagine how utterly infuriating and insufferable he will be if the team actually becomes good again. 

Hornets were GIFTED Monk, which is exactly what they needed.  Best shooter in the draft.  All the talk was you take him at #11 if he is there but he probably won't be.  They got better defensively with Howard and better from outside with Monk.  Hard to argue with basically getting two starters that improve your team.  Kemba and Monk should make a formidable backcourt. 

Pacers still have Paul George and draft a big forward........no idea what they are doing. 

8 minutes ago, topanga said:

I feel bad for Lonzo. He can't just be himself and focus on becoming an NBA player--he has to carry around baggage from his asshole of a father.  I hope it doesn't affect team chemistry. 

I was trying to explain to my kids that Venus and Serena Williams' dad was almost this bad when the girls turned pro as teenagers, announcing to the world how much talent they had and how they would change tennis. I thought he was arrogant and annoying, but I don't remember disliking him as much as I do Lonzo's dad. Am I remembering Richard too fondly? Or maybe it's because Venus and Serena were able to back up his smack talk--they were (are) great, and they have changed the way tennis is played. 

But back to the NBA--it seems that every team except Golden State is looking to majorly retool its roster. Most years, it seems that playoff teams talk about adding a player here or there to make their team a championship contender. But a lot of teams are in total rebuilding mode, even playoff teams. Or am I crazy and it's really like that every year?

I don't recall him being as bad as Ball's dad.  And yes the difference was, he was right.  They are the best pair of sisters to ever play the game.  Lonzo Ball is good and hardly an overwhelming, sure fire star in the NBA

Oh, I forgot about this till now. 23 yrs ago today, the Knicks lost to the Rockets in the 1994 NBA Finals. John Starks went 2-18 that night. That was as close as the Knicks were to winning an NBA Championship since 1973. Today, they're in the mud pit & not getting out of it anytime season. Even John Starks (despite shooting 2-18 on that faithful night) showed more heart during his time with the Knicks than current GM Phil Jackson. 

Heard a story on ESPN today that one player reported Phil Jackson fell asleep during his work out for the team. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I think that Malik Young and Dennis Smith Jr. are good picks for the Hornets and Mavs, especially Malik Young. I also hope that Terrence Ferguson gives the Thunder some much needed help especially with 3pt shooting.

Also, regarding the Pacers/Paul George I think it looks like they probably won't be making any deal with the Lakers. Especially since the Lakers have now drafted Lonzo and it's reported that they are trading their #28 pick to Utah for Utah's 30/42 picks. I also saw that the Pacers were in serious talks with the Celtics regarding Paul George but that talks have stalled. I think that the Pacers were asking for more than the Celtics were willing to give up. (The Celtics were also in talks with the Knicks about getting Porzingis.) If the Pacers aren't careful they may end up losing Paul George for nothing.

I also read that the Cavs are in talks with the Spurs about possibly getting Danny Green and LaMarcus Aldridge. There have been reports that the Spurs want to trade LaMarcus. The Cavs aren't getting Jimmy Butler now and I don't really see them getting Paul George either, so maybe they are trying to set their sights on LaMarcus and Danny.

Edited by Jx223
(edited)

Damn it, Lakers. I don't want to have to suffer through Lonzo's father the next few years. It's bad enough I have to like Lonzo since I despise UCLA, but deal with his dad? No thank you. At least he seems like a nice kid- I feel sorry for him because his dad seems like a piece of work. I can only imagine what he went through. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

I was hoping that we could finally have the end of Lavar and then I remembered there are two more Balls coming down the pike.  

Awkward post-draft pick interviews are the best.  "Frank Jackson how does it feel to be going to Charlotte ohhhh you're going to New Orleans."

Despite my initial apprehension about the Hornets and Dwight Howard, I have come around to like the move. 

Someone on the local talk radio made a good point.  As a small market team in the NBA, you can't attract big name free agents typically unless they are hometown guys.  You have to take some chances like this for the opportunity to get better.  Yes Howard has a troubled past, but if a team in this position can give up almost nothing, except a big contract guy who provides nothing, to get a former all star and all league defender, even if he is a bit older, you take the chance.  Plus Charlotte's coach Clifford has coached him before as an assistant, so hopefully he can maximize his potential here. 

This may act as my transition from more Hornets that pacers fan.  when you move it takes time to transition from one team to another as a fan.  Up to now I have been kind of 50/50 Pacers/Hornets.  But Pacers are on the way down, Hornets on the way up from what I see now.  If Lebron does leave Cleveland next year and go West, basically the whole east opens up and the Hornets are in position to improve and be near the top.  There were having a good season up to Dec/Jan when Cody Zeller was hurt and they ended up with no legitimate center for about a month.  That's when it went all downhill for them. 

Short of trading for Jimmy Butler or Paul George, which just was not happening for the Hornets, adding Howard and Monk in the draft was about as good a scenario you could dream up for the week for Charlotte.  The GM may have saved his job for now.  There was talking of him being on the way out of things did not improve soon.  We will see how the next season goes, they ought to be at least a playoff team and possible now even a top 4 playoff team and contenders for the division

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

adding Howard and Monk in the draft was about as good a scenario you could dream up for the week for Charlotte. 

Agreed. Kept reading about how the Hornets should try to trade up to get Monk, and then he falls in their laps. Good week for Hornet fans.

18 hours ago, topanga said:

I don't remember Richard Williams being nearly as bad as Lonzo Ball's daddy (I won't even type his name, I hate him so much).  Not even close.

• Love 1

I think the big difference that makes it hard to compare Lavar Ball, Richard Williams and Earl Woods is the media landscape.

Back in the nineties, the biggest media access Richard and Earl had was Sports Illustrated. Sports talk radio was in it's infancy, there were no talking head shows on ESPN and no one was inviting them to do interviews with the goal of creating a viral shoutfest. 

Had those tools been available to them, who knows?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

This may act as my transition from more Hornets that pacers fan.  when you move it takes time to transition from one team to another as a fan.  Up to now I have been kind of 50/50 Pacers/Hornets.  But Pacers are on the way down, Hornets on the way up from what I see now.  If Lebron does leave Cleveland next year and go West, basically the whole east opens up and the Hornets are in position to improve and be near the top.  There were having a good season up to Dec/Jan when Cody Zeller was hurt and they ended up with no legitimate center for about a month.  That's when it went all downhill for them. 

Short of trading for Jimmy Butler or Paul George, which just was not happening for the Hornets, adding Howard and Monk in the draft was about as good a scenario you could dream up for the week for Charlotte.  The GM may have saved his job for now.  There was talking of him being on the way out of things did not improve soon.  We will see how the next season goes, they ought to be at least a playoff team and possible now even a top 4 playoff team and contenders for the division

Yeah, I think Hornets have a nice shot of making the playoffs next season. Not only has Indiana gotten worse, so has the Bulls with Jimmy Butler being traded. I had thought that the Bulls could have made the playoffs again next season had Jimmy stayed and Rondo got healthy. But now, with him gone, it's going to be harder for them to make it. I could see Charlotte getting a playoff spot. 

Also, Blake Griffin has decided to opt out and become an unrestricted free agent. I think it would be nice if he goes somewhere like OKC.

10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yeah, I think Hornets have a nice shot of making the playoffs next season. Not only has Indiana gotten worse, so has the Bulls with Jimmy Butler being traded. I had thought that the Bulls could have made the playoffs again next season had Jimmy stayed and Rondo got healthy. But now, with him gone, it's going to be harder for them to make it. I could see Charlotte getting a playoff spot. 

Also, Blake Griffin has decided to opt out and become an unrestricted free agent. I think it would be nice if he goes somewhere like OKC.

4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Publicly, no. But Richard Williams is a bad guy. Levar just seems to be an ass.

Oh I think he's much more than just an ass.  I think he's just as bad, or worse, than Richard Williams.

3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I haven't heard any abuse stories.

Are there abuse stories about Richard Williams?  I haven't heard that.  

In any case, from what I've seen of daddy Ball it wouldn't surprise me at all if he emotionally abused his sons. Not saying he has, but it just wouldn't surprise me.  

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Are there abuse stories about Richard Williams?

Oracene Williams went to the hospital with three broken ribs in February of '99. She reportedly told the cops, "I know you know what happened." but declined to press charges because she was fearful of the effect on her daughters' careers. They separated the next year.

I haven't heard anything like that about Ball.

• Love 1
On 6/19/2017 at 8:10 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Ha! He wouldn't be welcome at all in Oakland. No thank you.

Too funny- I remember Warriors fans saying the exact same thing about KD on this very board last year.  Never say never.  

Congrats, Russ!!

• Love 1

Bucks get their first MIP ever and first ROY since Lewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Alcindorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

12 hours ago, topanga said:

Russell Westbrook MVP! He certainly deserved it. 

I thought Drake was pretty funny as host. 

Statistically Harden and Leonard are better than Westbrook.

1 hour ago, ketchuplover said:

Bucks get their first MIP ever and first ROY since Lewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Alcindorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Statistically Harden and Leonard are better than Westbrook.

Which stats are you looking at? Westbrook may lag in some of the efficiency related ones, but he also leads in several advanced stats.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, lyric said:

Too funny- I remember Warriors fans saying the exact same thing about KD on this very board last year.  Never say never.  

Congrats, Russ!!

Well, I personally never said that about KD, so I can stand by my opinion. :) Besides, KD is actually likeable. He wasn't offensive to Warriors or their fans. LeBron, yuck. I don't know who those other Dubs fans are, but the fans I know were excited KD chose our team to join. 

• Love 1
(edited)

When Tom Brady was out showing off his five rings a couple of weeks ago, I was really hoping Russell would drop this photo on him.

BillRussell52.jpg

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6
26 minutes ago, mojoween said:

You can hire and fire Phil Jackson six times but nothing will get better as long as James Dolan is running the show.

I was going to say the same thing. 

Doesn't matter who you hire.  As long as James Dolan is running the show, they won't be a success. 

Phil sucked, but they aren't not going to hire someone else and get much better

• Love 1