Type keyword(s) to search

Showboating: The Scourge of ANW?

• Start Topic

We talk about this in a lot of the episode topics, so here's a dedicated place for it.

For years the showboating manifested mainly in "go as fast as possible", culminating as we know in a season where a large number of the favorites tanked the qualifier due to this.

THIS year the showboating has evolved (although a few always did it) into stuff like people doing special stunts on the Warped Wall (like hanging sideways), and other similar stuff. I was sorely disappointed that even Sam Sann, who the commentators tend to treat like he's Jesus, did this.

So what do you all feel about showboating?  Is there possibly an argument FOR it?  I'd like to hear a good one, so convince me.  Also, feel free to name the showboaters here, so when they eventually find this topic on the Internet they'll know, BY NAME, what we think of them doing it.

• Love 1

I don't mind it as much in the qualifying rounds.  There is no time limit, and going too fast has proven to be the *wrong* way to showboat.  I have a business owner perspective here: the top competitors own gyms, work as personal trainers, and/or are chasing what little endorsement dollars there are out there for "ninja's."  (And the professional rock-climbers are looking to increase any endorsement $$'s they are competing for.)  Showboating increases the chances of getting television time, and tv time equals (free marketing) money in this context.

• Love 4

From my perspective, anything other than passing out from exhaustion in the middle of the course is noteworthy.  But I'm a little perverse.  I like it when those who showboat in the middle of the run end up falling.  But if they want to celebrate their excitement when they're at the top of the wall, I don't mind.  They've earned bragging rights at that point.

• Love 8

I don't mind it when competitors wave to their families, take a moment to take it all in, or try to get the crowd into it to pump themselves up.  Although fame isn't my cup of tea, I can understand people wanting to seize their few seconds of it.  I also think it's fine if they celebrate after completing the course.  They *have* earned it.

The ones that annoy me are the cocky, arrogant competitors, who hang off the wall one-handed, or just sort of smirk to say, "See how easy this is?"  Or assert they're going to break the records or whatever. 

One thing that I though that was really cute was the guy who finally made it up the Warped Wall after failing to do it for three years.  He was so excited that he hung off the wall and kicked his feet against it a few times.  That kind of celebrating I don't mind.

• Love 4

I just yell at my TV because if they don't finish, it's the furthest, the fastest.  So, I'm yelling "touch the spikes! touch the spikes!"...If you fall in the drink, you'll be sorry you took the time to practice your breakdancing moves or wave to 100 people between obstacles 4 and 5. 

• Love 3

I just yell at my TV because if they don't finish, it's the furthest, the fastest.  So, I'm yelling "touch the spikes! touch the spikes!"...If you fall in the drink, you'll be sorry you took the time to practice your breakdancing moves or wave to 100 people between obstacles 4 and 5. 

You know, I wonder how many times somebody who might have made it the farthest, the fastest, missed the top 30 cut-off because they were too busy playing to the crowd.

• Love 2

There doesn't seem to be a thread for tonight's show (6/10), but since the terms "Rob Marovsky" and "showboating" seem to belong together . . .

Did anyone else stand and cheer when he fell on the second obstacle? 

• Love 2

There doesn't seem to be a thread for tonight's show (6/10)

That's because it's got to be the Esquire broadcast rather than the NBC one. Are they even different broadcasts anymore (same cities, different contestants)?  Didn't Esquire switch from new ANW content, to just airing repeats of the NBC shows?

Just press the fucking button already! God, I hate it when the contestants fuck around before hitting the buzzer.

That's because it's got to be the Esquire broadcast rather than the NBC one. Are they even different broadcasts anymore (same cities, different contestants)? Didn't Esquire switch from new ANW content, to just airing repeats of the NBC shows?

I believe so. The different content was on the previous iteration of the channel -- G4? I actually prefer watching ANW on Esquire. For some reason, on NBC, the music overpowers the dialogue (not that Matt and Akbar don't need drowning out, but it's annoying). I also like the commercials for Esquire shows.

I've noticed that as soon as Matt or Akbar say someone's going to go far, it means the person will fail on the next obstacle.

• Love 1
I was sorely disappointed that even Sam Sann, who the commentators tend to treat like he's Jesus, did this.

The look on his daughter's face when he was dancing at the top was priceless.

The ones that annoy me are the cocky, arrogant competitors

Same here. The preeners are the worst. That's why it's always so satisfying to see them fall.

Just press the fucking button already! God, I hate it when the contestants fuck around before hitting the buzzer.

i don't get why the don't hit the button and then celebrate. Doesn't your finish time determine your starting position in the next round? Also, is hitting the button mandatory? I'd love for a finisher to get so caught up in the moment that he forgets to hit the button and is DQed. 

• Love 1

I'm not sure where to put this post.

I like the "Wolf Pack" but it annoys me that Noah Kauffman wears his stethoscope around his neck while hanging out with everyone before and after his run. I don't think of it as a marketing ploy to attract business but more like he is wanting everyone to know he is a physician. I'm proud of my career but I would never "show off" like Noah. I do like him as a competitor on ANW despite all this.

• Love 5

I don't mind showboating in the qualifier at the Wall or after.  Even doing "The Flag" is OK.  I skip all the prelim hearts-a-tuggin' crap and only watch the the run, so I miss any boasting beforehand.  A wave to the crowd after an obstacle is also OK. But any showboating in the middle of the course makes me hope for liquid karma real quick!

• Love 4
(edited)

I only just saw the Miami episode tonight.  Noticed that a-hole Flip acting mock-humble in the interview they did with him early in the episode.  I have to say, unspoiled I guessed he'd go without the mask. It seemed logical as a "statement" and when he did it I wasn't surprised in the least. In a way though I think it was still Showboating. Just pre-race Showboating. He knew everyone would interpret him ditching the mask a certain way and in his own way he was milking that (even if the rest of the race he was careful to seem humbled).  Here's the key. If he's the same way next year? Maybe I'll believe it then. We shall see.

And Drew Dreshel doing a back flip on the Warped Wall--in other words sacrificing one of his designated three attempts to show off.  That was annoying.  I guess it's his right, but... that definitely counts as Showboating.

Edited by Kromm

And Drew Dreshel doing a back flip on the Warped Wall--in other words sacrificing one of his designated three attempts to show off.  That was annoying.  I guess it's his right, but... that definitely counts as Showboating.

Totally agree with your whole post.  Two of the same who annoyed me in Miami last year carried it through to Orlando this year.  I'd also add the immediate 'walkoff' after the buzzer from Flip as "alternate" showboating.  

Noticed that a-hole Flip acting mock-humble in the interview they did with him early in the episode.

And Drew Dreshel doing a back flip on the Warped Wall--in other words sacrificing one of his designated three attempts to show off.  That was annoying.  I guess it's his right, but... that definitely counts as Showboating.

I only watch the race -- I FF through all the drivel.  Neither Flip or Drew bothered me.  I think that with Drew, getting up the Wall is pretty automatic -- I had more problem with "Major America" [ugh!] flat-footing the Wall than with Drew's flip.

And Flip seemed pretty serious about the whole race -- but he's never bothered me as much as he does some.

• Love 1

I don't mind the showboating.  The course is difficult but not SO difficult that a ton of folks don't make it through.  If everyone just ran the course straight, it'd be pretty boring.  The announcers' verbal orgasms at the showboating bothers me far more than the showboating itself.  But then, I don't watch any of the interviews at all and frequently mute the TV during the runs.  That cuts down on the annoyances A LOT.

Showboating entertains me. I rather enjoy it when they take a little time to enjoy themselves, whether it is waving at the crowd or throwing in a random handstand.

Those aren't necessarily both showboating though.

Does "showboating" include Captain NBC's green wig and other costumes worn by other contestants? Like ER Doc's stethoscope and gold lamé outfit, the Spartan costume, the Tarzan loincloth ... the stuntwoman's yellow bird costume from two years ago. And countless others. Back-flipping off the warped wall is more entertainment and less showboating IMO than trying to catch teevee time with a silly costume. Although I guess it could get pretty boring for the audience, watching run after run fail for hours before the best people go at the end.

Bottom line, if it keeps this show going, I'm for any and all showboating. Although I do like the guys who can complete the course fully clothed. THOSE are the really skilled ninjas IMO!

Does "showboating" include Captain NBC's green wig and other costumes worn by other contestants? Like ER Doc's stethoscope and gold lamé outfit, the Spartan costume, the Tarzan loincloth ... the stuntwoman's yellow bird costume from two years ago. And countless others. 

Of course those aren't showboating (although I suppose some people could be annoyed by them). The costumes usually aren't about showing off.

Simply calling attention to oneself isn't the same thing as showboating.  Showboating is BOASTFUL by its very nature, isn't it?  Is a costume?  I suppose it could be in some circumstances, but not the way most of the costumed participants use them on this show.  The stuntwoman wore the costume her first time on the show. That's not boasting, it's humor. The Captain NBC dude wore the costume way back when he was terrible at the race and wasn't trying to make anyone think he was showing off.

Compare that to wasting one of your Warped Wall attempts, for example, to do a back flip off the wall. Wouldn't you say that's showing off?  THAT'S showboating. Playing dress up isn't.

I don't mind a little showboating.  The stupid commentary remarks annoy me.  Akbar things he is Yogi Berra with the platitudes he makes and "I know what they are thinking" comments.  Also why do they act like anyone over the age of 30 is old?  "He's 36 yrs old!"  Sometimes I have to just mute them.

• Love 1

I don't mind a little showboating. The stupid commentary remarks annoy me. Akbar things he is Yogi Berra with the platitudes he makes and "I know what they are thinking" comments. Also why do they act like anyone over the age of 30 is old? "He's 36 yrs old!" Sometimes I have to just mute them.

I'm not a fan of the showboating, but I agree about the age comments. Also how Matt has to announce when every man takes his shirt off.
  • Love 2

Also why do they act like anyone over the age of 30 is old?  "He's 36 yrs old!"  Sometimes I have to just mute them.

I know! They are brutal with their age remarks. I know its their job to give commentary, but they dont have to repeatedly comment on any 35+ ninja's age each and every time we see them, then harp on it all through out their run. Everyone knows the body slows with age, but the way they go on you'd think Travis Rosen has one foot in the grave and John Stewart trains in a rest home. 

Edited by WasillianWarrior
  • Love 3

I don't mind a certain amount of showboating. Some competitors just seem to be filled with excitement and enthusiasm so fist pumps and waving to the crowd and dramatic pounding of the buzzer is completely reasonable to me. What they do is amazing and they should be excited about it. A few of them can be so over the top that I roll my eyes but it doesn't bother me that much, maybe because I know that at some point they will fall or fail at an obstacle.

How I feel about showboating depends upon the attitude of the guy doing it.  I've never cared for Flip Rodriguez and his stupid mask for example because he's always struck me as a wise guy kid too highly impressed with himself.   OTOH I get a kick out of Captain NBC and Crazy Whatshisname with the gold paint because they're clearly good-humored guys putting on a show for the fun of it.  YMMV.

• Love 2

How I feel about showboating depends upon the attitude of the guy doing it.  I've never cared for Flip Rodriguez and his stupid mask for example because he's always struck me as a wise guy kid too highly impressed with himself.   OTOH I get a kick out of Captain NBC and Crazy Whatshisname with the gold paint because they're clearly good-humored guys putting on a show for the fun of it.  YMMV.

I agree about Captain NBC and many of the other costumed guys. There's a difference between having fun and showboating. Flip showing off was never about fun. Jerkasses with their go fast as possible crap on some level maybe was about them having fun, I guess, but kind of in a negative way (since it's on some level an insult to the people who take the competitive aspect seriously). 

The people who play to the crowd at the EXPENSE of the run are the biggest issue. That's the line between fun and ego.

I'm on the fence when the "costume" is impractical. Not only Captain NBC's earlier efforts, where it probably hampered him, but even something like Lance Pekus and his insistence on Jeans (and at one point always the hat too). That's actually a costume, even if it's what he wears at home around the farm, because it's not what anyone would really wear to run an efficient race. And wearing it is ego (playing up the image at the expense of the performance), even if guys like Lance are spun as down home humble sorts. I was very relieved to see him gain some sanity and wear shorts in Vegas.

..................Lance Pekus and his insistence on Jeans (and at one point always the hat too). That's actually a costume, even if it's what he wears at home around the farm, because it's not what anyone would really wear to run an efficient race. And wearing it is ego (playing up the image at the expense of the performance), even if guys like Lance are spun as down home humble sorts. I was very relieved to see him gain some sanity and wear shorts in Vegas.

I basically agree with you, Kromm, but I sort of think that a lot of that is almost imposed on the competitors by the way the producers handle their back stories and maybe encourage them to be characters.  They (producers) probably have some ideas based upon submission videos before they even meet the competitors.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the guys don't think that having a shtick makes them more apt to be chosen so they play it up accordingly.  Then they have an "identity" and can't stop.  Some of it, of course, is pure ego (Noah Kaufman).

I've never cared for Flip Rodriguez and his stupid mask for example because he's always struck me as a wise guy kid too highly impressed with himself.   

I don't know if he talked about it here because I don't watch anything but the runs, but on Jump City, he explained that they were his way of hiding from the pain of his early life.  I think that because I saw him on JC first, he hasn't bothered me as much as he has others.  In that, (and I think some other parkour championships), showboating was part of the point system.

• Love 1

Any competitors get cocky and showboat and I will start mentally chanting "fall, fall, fall." It's especially satisfying when the showboater fails at an obstacle they should have killed, like when Caldiero wiped out during the body prop.

• Love 2

I'm becoming weary of the Ninja's playing to the crowd between obstacles. It wasn't done very often a few season's ago and now some of them seem to be pausing after each obstacle that they do successfully. And please outlaw the heart sign. It might be my imagination but didn't one of them raise their arms to make the heart only to have the camera operator crop it out recently?

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/29/2018 at 11:11 PM, Me from ME said:

I'm becoming weary of the Ninja's playing to the crowd between obstacles. It wasn't done very often a few season's ago and now some of them seem to be pausing after each obstacle that they do successfully. And please outlaw the heart sign. It might be my imagination but didn't one of them raise their arms to make the heart only to have the camera operator crop it out recently?

The showboating bothers me sometimes - not when it's sincere joy about getting through an obstacle, but as you mention, the stopping between obstacles to show off is annoying. And the heart sign thing is overdone everywhere - if the producers cut that out, that's fine by me!

You have to expect a certain amount of campiness from ANW - but I think pretty soon they are going to run out of ninja-names. It's the weather-ninja, the cardiac-ninja, the princess-ninja and the cowboy-ninja!! Haven't they run out of names yet? Pretty soon we're going to have "the tall ninja" and "the blonde ninja!" lol

Edited by Lunula
  • Love 1

I think pretty soon they are going to run out of ninja-names

Has anyone figured out why Drew Drechsel is the "real live ninja"? What makes him realer than any of the others? The sweat band?

I really like him, I like the way he attacks the course and is cool about it - until he hits the buzzer.   When he is exuberant at finishing that is fine with me. As it is when anyone expresses their happiness at that point.

15 hours ago, Me from ME said:

Has anyone figured out why Drew Drechsel is the "real live ninja"?

Maybe he just identifies really strongly with the character of Pinocchio? ("real live boy" was my own immediate association with that phrase, anyway). I mean - he does hang from strings a fair bit of the time. :)

19 hours ago, Me from ME said:

Has anyone figured out why Drew Drechsel is the "real live ninja"? What makes him realer than any of the others? The sweat band?

I really like him, I like the way he attacks the course and is cool about it - until he hits the buzzer.   When he is exuberant at finishing that is fine with me. As it is when anyone expresses their happiness at that point.

They did a feature on him last season with his past as a used car salesman. He was doing some cheesy local commercial. The tagline was "Real Life Deals for your Real Life Needs", or something like that, and I was like Ohhhhh, I guess that's where it's from.

• Love 1

It depends what you consider showboating.  I have seen people genuinely excited when they beat a particular obstacle so yeah they they showboat a little and I don’t mind it.  Good for them actually.  It’s the ones who make it part of their “act” for no reason and it takes up time and even engergy that maybe need to cool it a bit.  

• Love 1

I just got around to watching the latest ANJ and I need to make a correction: He is the Real Life Ninja not the Real Live Ninja.  (Although I did enjoy thinking of Pinocchio until I got corrected.) I've rewatched some early seasons and his appearance has really changed from the days at the car lot and early Ninja competitions with feathered hair and an earring that matched his shirt.

His body awareness in the most recent city finals was impressive. I really enjoy seeing how he plans and executes each obstacle without any extra moves.

I guess for me, how much showboating bothers me usually tends to come down to where it falls on my two scales of Annoying and Arrogant. I assume different viewers probably rank differently as we all have pet peeves.

Things that bump you waaaay up one or both scales:

1. Showing off in the middle of an obstacle by hanging by one arm, doing it in an unusual way, etc. (Does not include hanging by an arm to shake the other out) If that obstacle is no problem for you, just be grateful and move on.

2. Flips, jumps, or any energy wasting move before or sometimes in the middle of the run

3. Over the top gestures like pec flexes or naming yourself the Towers of Power, especially mid-course. Stop wasting time.

4. For people who have been there before, celebrating and then hitting the buzzer. (I'm so glad to see i'm not the only one this bugs!)

Things that don't bother me:

1. Waving to friends or family

2. Taking time between obstacles to gather breath or thoughts or get a bit of feeling back in their limbs. If they flash a quick sign to someone as they do that, eh. I'm fine with that.

3. Spontaneous acts of "Omg! I did it!" joy or a single flip off an obstacle they're dismounting anyways like once during the run. I'm not a complete killjoy. I don't mind people being relaxed and having a bit of fun or being really excited that they accomplished something. That's understandable to me. But I don't really care for obvious playing to the crowd. As the old football adage attributed to various coaches goes, "Act like you've been there before."

As for costumes, it kind of depends on the costume. I'm not thrilled about the concept of costumes, but realistically it helps people develop a persona (increasing their chances of being chosen to run) and stand out. If they don't make me cringe (Baby Ninja) and don't screw with the person's ability to run the course, I'll live with it. I'd rather see Lance Pekus, the Cowboy Ninja, in his jeans and boots than have to sit through another 5-minute long sob story about the guy with a horrible disease who was mauled by a bear and is running the course in memory of his trusty dog who died saving him in that attack.

• Love 8