Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: Zero Hour

• Start Topic

King Crab season draws to a close: Casey forces Josh to fish at full throttle on the Cornelia Marie. Jake takes another turn at the wheel on the Northwestern. Wild Bill turns up the heat on the Coast Guard.

Josh, if your father could see you now he would be APPALLED.   He was a fisherman, not a famestrumpet.   Why do you think he was on a boat 11 months of the year?   He was out fishing to make money using the boat for its intended purpose.

What the hell got into Freddie?   Did all the praise of what a great fisherman he was go to his head?   The captain says you be on the boat at a certain time you are there.   If the captain comes to find you in the bar you do with the captain.   You don't complain about the captain wanting to do his fucking job and go fish.   Yeah life is short.   Find out how not fun it is without money.   

Jake A finding out how much his life is going to change with a baby was hilarious.   Sig was soooo trying to get under his skin.   

• Love 6

Jake just looked sooooo happy up in the wheelhouse. Hopefully he doesn't get too absorbed with crab fishing/captaining (in the future), and can keep his career balanced with his family (as balanced as one can get with this kind of career).

My family is currently speculating that Josh might have night blindness, or at least partial night blindness. But then again, he doesn't have any experience driving a boat at night. He improved, but that was only after he decided to use the monitor. I bet if they switched that off, he'd be doomed. Everyone else didn't seem to have a problem seeing the pots in the dark.

That's just a hypothesis though, so..*shrugs*

Did I hear this right, during the crab count chart it was mentioned that Sig got more money than Keith, despite the smaller crab count? Is that because the NW is actually family owned? Does Keith own the Wizard completely, or does he just have a share? Or did the NW just have a better contract or something?

It's a shame about Freddy. I don't remember him ever having an issue with alcohol/drugs? before when it comes to affecting his crab fishing career. Does he not respect Monty as much as Keith? That other guy was quick to join Keith's crew though. This has got to be another big punch in the gut for Keith though. Freddy of all people. :(

• Love 4

I really really just can't understand what Josh is thinking, he flat out can NOT run that boat.  He whines about having to fish at night.  He can't see, wah wah wah.  When Casey tries to make him learn something for real, rather than just acting for the cameras, he gets pissy.  If anyone actually takes an interest in helping or advising him, he gets rude and then makes fun of them behind their back.

Josh, if your dad could see you now, he'd kick your ass off the boat.

• Love 4

Did I hear right? Did Monte hire Dirty to replace Freddie? I guess since Elliot kicked Dirty off the Saga, he was more than willing to hire on another boat. That motel room that Dirty and Freddie were in had a bunch of large pelican cases in it. I wonder if it was a Disco production motel room, since those are the type of waterproof cases they would carry their gear in. Maybe that is why Freddie was so nonchalant about not going back to the boat.

Wild Bill, you were not fooling the CG with the heater bit. They have probably had that routine done to them a thousand times.

So Josh drove the boat one night, in calm weather. Yay. I was laughing my ass off at Casey speeding the boat up to normal driving speed and watching Josh freak out. 

• Love 5

I just rolled my eyes when Josh mentioned taking risks, having flat out refused to take Keith up on his risky offer a few episodes ago.

The difference between Jake and Josh when they're in the wheelhouse in terms of who seems to want or have the skills to be there just grows and grows every week.

I am glad that Casey finally made Josh do stuff on his own though, even if he's not the best at it. He's never going to learn or get better if he just sits around and lets Casey handle everything

• Love 8

Fuck you wild Bill for turning on the heater on the ship to make the coast Guard leave faster. Asshole. They've got a job to do too,and I'm sure they didn't appreciate your "prank". Prick.

• Love 1
(edited)

OSM - I thought the same thing. But, they knew his trick and joked about how often captains try it. What an asshole. Then he gives them the "thanks you are the guys we depend on" speel.

I was thinking the same sort of thing about Josh, but I thought he might need glasses. Finally Casey gave Josh the sink or swin treatment-about time. As a side, I think Phil liked the camera too, but he knew when to stop talking and take care of business.  Josh just keeps talking and talking.

Freddy has been in trouble before with his drinking. A few years ago he got charged with assault in Dutch. I think he thought they would never leave without him. Glad to see that Dirt got the job after all the crap he went through with Elliott.  Elliott stated something along the lines of  "you'll never work for me again and I'll make sure no one else hires you".

I always love when they show the NW-they are such a well oiled boat so to speak. The diaper jokes were cute. Nice to see Jake got the chance to drive the boat.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 5

It's a shame about Freddy. I don't remember him ever having an issue with alcohol/drugs? before when it comes to affecting his crab fishing career. Does he not respect Monty as much as Keith? That other guy was quick to join Keith's crew though. This has got to be another big punch in the gut for Keith though. Freddy of all people. :(

Freddy's the guy who jumped bareback into the Bering Sea to retrieve the walrus tusk and stayed in the water five minutes beyond what Keith said was lethal exposure, without any ill effects.   Alcohol?  Drugs?  Superhuman levels of adrenalin?  Nothing would surprise me.

It's eerie how much Monty sounds like Keith.  There was a moment when Monty was en route to find Freddy and talking in the darkness of the cab.   I would have sworn it was Keith's voice.    And Monty even channeled Keith when he said "never let the crew run the ship."

The deckhands received $62,000 each for that trip on the Wizard.   How does Freddy reconcile losing $62,000 over a night of drinking?   Does he have a wife he has to go home to?   The Bering Sea may not have killed him, but I wouldn't put it past a wife upon being told her husband just lost $62,000 to a night of partying, lol.

• Love 3

The NW can pay more because Sig actually owns the quota.  He does not have to lease it at a pretty percentage, like Keith and most others do.  Sig's family did very well before the quota system was put in place, so they were granted a sizeable piece of the harvests.

Freddy is as headstrong as any man in the world.  Once he sets his mind on something, that's it.  Now, add in the effect of a good drunk - probably days long - and bingo, he stays in port.  My understanding is that he'll be welcome anytime he wants to fish with Keith.

I really hated the timelines the edit monkeys went with.  The CM was not out there still fishing reds while all the others were finishing Bairdi.  Josh was long gone to the lower 48 for pretty much everything we saw with the others boats tonight.  

I totally noticed how smart Wild Bill was when he refused a direct answer to the USCD question as to prior inspections.  Someone very intelligent taught him very well"  NEVER give a specific answer to any Fed, about anything, unless you are 10000000% sure of it.  Even then, you give them NOTHING with which to later hang you with as a "falsehood."  Bill knew to let them figure out the inspection record of his boat.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I noticed his experienced non-answer on the radio, too.     he knew it was best  to let them make their own determination.

I did like his three-second look at the camera the first time one of CG guys said it was hot.   

if Freddy is big enough to harass greenhorns for not playing the game, he is big enough to be replaced when he does not play the game.

I didn't recognize the replacement deckhand, but if he was an ex-Elliot deckhand, that would a be good thing.   And he was ready to go.   I guess Monty knew who he was.

Did I hear this right, during the crab count chart it was mentioned that Sig got more money than Keith, despite the smaller crab count? Is that because the NW is actually family owned?

I took that as the boat amount, not the person amount.    iirc, it was higher because of the type of crab.

Edited by clod
  • Love 3

Clod - Yes. I believe both the NW and the TB own their quota so they save money because they do not have to lease it like Keith does. All the money earned is pure profit to keep themselves.  However, Keith and his deck hands still make a ton of money. They made 60k+ for kings and bairdi.

I'm not surprised about Freddy.  People are human, not robots, sometimes they do shit you wouldn't think they'd do. 

The difference between Jake and Josh when they're in the wheelhouse in terms of who seems to want or have the skills to be there just grows and grows every week.

So true.  Jake is really happy, Josh is acting happy.  Jake wants to be a captain, Josh wants to be a TV star.  Jake looks like a crab fisherman, Josh always makes sure he looks good for the cameras.  

• Love 6

I'm so sick of hearing Josh spout his "wisdom" when he's on camera.  That guy must spend hours flipping through well-worn copies of "Idiots Guide to Idioms"  & "Phil-osophies; Witty Witticisms for the Wheelhouse" by Capt. Phil Harris. I guess I need to (begrudgingly) give some props to Josh for his "captaining" ability.  Now, if he can just figure out how to make crab fishing conform to a M-F 9am-5pm work week, he wouldn't have to worry about spotting those pesky buoys in the dark.  Seriously, if he can't see at night in fairly calm seas how the hell will he do it in rough weather?  Get some glasses dude.

Good for Jake getting time in the chair and doing it well. I loved how Matt Bradley told OCD Jake he can't wipe a baby's butt 60 times or it'd get a rash!  Matt is bringing the funny this season. I bet Sig (& Edgar) gave very nice baby gifts when Baby Anderson arrived to make up for the missed "free diapers for a year" offer.

I like Wild Bill, but that was a dick move to play on the Coast Guard.  They are doing you and every other boat/crew a service and potentially saving lives with those inspections.  Cut the shit and show some respect.

• Love 8

I'm so sick of hearing Josh spout his "wisdom" when he's on camera.  That guy must spend hours flipping through well-worn copies of "Idiots Guide to Idioms"  & "Phil-osophies; Witty Witticisms for the Wheelhouse" by Capt. Phil Harris.

But he was born, bred and corn-fed to do this.   ;-)

• Love 11

Yes, I think Freddy would have got paid for king crab but not the bairdi trip. They made more money on the bairdi this year due to the loss of the kc guota. So, Freddy screwed himself. I'll bet anything he was be back on the Wizard for Opies which I think start next week. We all know how disco likes to make drama.

I guess we've been telegraphed that Josh's out will be his eyesight.  "My dream of being a Bering Sea Crab Captain has gone as far as it can go -- damn my blasted eyesight/night vision!  Of course the most important thing I can do as a Bering Sea Crab Captain is not endanger my crew on my boat that's my legacy that my father the late Captain Phil Harris, the legendary Bering Sea Crab Captain after whom our wheelhouse is named, who would be so proud of me, wait, where was I?  Anyway, I will continue to manage my father's legacy from the Las Vegas Strip.  He'd be so fucking proud of me."

• Love 11

I guess we've been telegraphed that Josh's out will be his eyesight.  "My dream of being a Bering Sea Crab Captain has gone as far as it can go -- damn my blasted eyesight/night vision!  Of course the most important thing I can do as a Bering Sea Crab Captain is not endanger my crew on my boat that's my legacy that my father the late Captain Phil Harris, the legendary Bering Sea Crab Captain after whom our wheelhouse is named, who would be so proud of me, wait, where was I?  Anyway, I will continue to manage my father's legacy from the Las Vegas Strip.  He'd be so fucking proud of me."

Perhaps he damaged his eyes from gazing too long into the camera lights.

I'm so sick of hearing Josh spout his "wisdom" when he's on camera.  That guy must spend hours flipping through well-worn copies of "Idiots Guide to Idioms"  & "Phil-osophies; Witty Witticisms for the Wheelhouse" by Capt. Phil Harris. I guess I need to (begrudgingly) give some props to Josh for his "captaining" ability.

I'm willing to bet the average person could match or probably better Josh's "captaining" ability if they too received the hand-holding instruction and outright coddling he's had the last couple seasons.

• Love 4

Josh needs to find a career that will keep him busy, utilize his skills, and make him happy long term.

Like being the "star" of a reality show?  Oh.  Wait.  Never mind.  He really sucks at that, too.

• Love 1

I don't like talking bad about Josh since I learned about his horrible childhood. I honestly hope that he gets a break and finds success in some career. I do not think that crab fishing is for Josh. He wasn't a top teir deckhand, let alone a captain. He's too young to sit on the shore while someone else runs his boat. Josh needs to find a career that will keep him busy, utilize his skills, and make him happy long term.

I think Josh's attitude has a lot to do with the enmity that comes his way.   That, and the fact that the only reason he's where he is right now is because he's Phil Harris' kid, not on account of any actual record of accomplishment on his part.   Compare with Jake Anderson.

Josh behaves like an entitled ass and he's got squat to back it up.   If he were more down to earth, more serious about learning what he needs to know and stopped REPEATEDLY reminding the viewers that his father was Phil Harris, I think folks would be more inclined to cut him some slack.

But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

• Love 6

I really really just can't understand what Josh is thinking, he flat out can NOT run that boat.  He whines about having to fish at night.  He can't see, wah wah wah.  When Casey tries to make him learn something for real, rather than just acting for the cameras, he gets pissy.  If anyone actually takes an interest in helping or advising him, he gets rude and then makes fun of them behind their back.

Josh, if your dad could see you now, he'd kick your ass off the boat.

Hasn't the contrast between Josh and Jake A been interesting? Jake wants to be a captain so much that he can taste it. He'll do anything to get into that chair. He knows what he's doing. Josh is pretty much the exact opposite. His big success at the end of the episode was worth a mention, not a celebration. That' special snowflake treatment, like a certificate for participation.

• Love 4

Jake A. acts like a duckling taking to water each and everytime he is allowed the Captain's chair.  It is so freaking obvious he lives those moments.

Sig, Keith, Wild Bill, and the Hillstrands were said to be the same way.  Elliott and Josh?  A means to cash and ego salving.

• Love 5

Elliott and Josh?  A means to cash and ego salving.

Yep.  Without all that need for education and stuff.  As long as you can tweet, you can attract chicks.  (At least that's how Elliott makes it seem.)

• Love 1

I know it would never happen, but wouldn't it be ideal if Josh hired Jake A to captain the CM and Josh himself was deck boss.  He'd still make a fortune.  But I know, that would be to big a blow to his ego.

(edited)

I was completely comparing Josh to Elliot--their attitudes are eerily similar and it's sad.  Jake on the other hand grabbed his chance at the captain's chair and relished every minute of it. And he was pretty darn good at it, from what they showed.  He understands it takes time and he is willing to learn....although he's impatient at times.  

Josh thinks he's already entitled to be a captain because of his name.  I really liked when Casey took the throttle and made Josh steer when the boat was going faster.  Josh doesn't appear to want to learn and practice and get the seasoning it takes to be a good captain.  

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 1

I was completely comparing Josh to Elliot--their attitudes are eerily similar and it's sad.  Jake on the other hand grabbed his chance at the captain's chair and relished every minute of it. And he was pretty darn good at it, from what they showed.  He understands it takes time and he is willing to learn....although he's impatient at times.  

Josh thinks he's already entitled to be a captain because of his name.  I really liked when Casey took the throttle and made Josh steer when the boat was going faster.  Josh doesn't appear to want to learn and practice and get the seasoning it takes to be a good captain.  

Elliott is very different than Josh, though.  Elliott has or had skills.  He knew what he was doing, until he let his drug addiction and his massive ego take over. His drug addiction and massive ego are what caused him to treat women, his kids, and his employees so badly.   Remove those (which would take a miracle) and Elliott can fix most anything on his boat and knows how to operate the vessel and catch crabs.  Currently, he'll just be catching the other kind of crabs until he finally really and truly hits rock bottom.  Assuming he doesn't die first.

• Love 9

I agree, terrymct.  Elliott was on the ball enough to get where he is on his own (so far as we know).  Drugs destroy lives.  

Maybe he was a jerk before the drugs.  But without the drugs he probably would be a pretty damn successful jerk.

• Love 7
(edited)

Very true, terrymct. I should have been more specific:   I was comparing the similar feeling I got from watching Josh to the feeling I got while watching Elliot.  Not their actual talent which is very different.  Just their attitudes. And they make me sad. 

Elliot obviously can drive and operate a boat and has the chops to do it--until he lets the drugs get in the way. Josh doesn't even seem to want to learn.  

And I loved to see Jake take the wheel and enjoy it so much.  

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 2

Jake:  "I want to be a leader."  (Sig refers to him as a throttle jockey speeding from one trap to the next.)

Josh:  "I am the captain.  This is my operation.  I can't see the buoys."  (Casey runs the throttles faster because Josh is creeping from one set of buoys to the other and still can't see them.  And I wonder if Josh hides his make-up artist down below so he can run down there to have his beard trimmed "just so" and his sleeves pushed up to the perfect level of "coolness.")

I'm signing on with Jake.

• Love 4

And I wonder if Josh hides his make-up artist down below so he can run down there to have his beard trimmed "just so" and his sleeves pushed up to the perfect level of "coolness.")

Everytime I see him on camera I wonder this.  None of the other crabbers/fishermen are quite as well groomed. 

• Love 3

And I wonder if Josh hides his make-up artist down below so he can run down there to have his beard trimmed "just so" and his sleeves pushed up to the perfect level of "coolness.")

Every time I go down to my basement I see this GI Joe doll that looks just like Josh to me. Now I know why.

• Love 2

Lost respect for Freddie - certainly not a responsible grown man.  If I remember, he was so excited about a baby on the way but there was not talk about he marrying the woman.  More respect lost.

Jake  is an idiot.  Wanting to get the birth of his first child over with so he can go fishing.  It's all about Jake.  He is immature and emotionally out of control.  I think Sig made a big mistake by letting Jake cuss about having to repair the engine hose and then giving him the helm.