Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: It's Me Or Your Family!

Christian explodes when confronted about his treatment of Maria and brother Peter is shocked to find out he's next in line to be arranged. Elsewhere, Meghan struggles to stand up for herself when her picky mother-in-law pays a surprise visit; and Ragini battles Veeral over his pushy parents.

If I had that poisonously sweet MIL Megan has I would jump off a bridge. She is AWFUL. They just drop by with groceries to show her how to cook? And needle her mercilessly?

Poor Maria, part eleventy billiion. That poor kid. She seems pretty sharp for someone who's been isolated and probably minimally educated. Christian's parents are worse than useless. They remind me of the parents in that old movie "Lovers and Other Strangers" (1970, star studded, really funny, worth seeing!) who keep asking their son, who's getting divorced "what's the story?" Sample:

Richie Vecchio: Don't you understand, Joan and I are just not happy together.

Frank Vecchio: You hear that, Beatrice? They're not happy together.

Bea: I heard, Frank.

Frank Vecchio: So who's happy?

Bea: Who's happy?

Frank Vecchio: What, do you see me running around dancing in the streets?

Bea: Do you see your father running around dancing in the streets?

Frank Vecchio: What are you, better than me? You think your mother and I are happy?

Richie Vecchio: You mean you and mom aren't happy?

Frank Vecchio: [together with Bea] No!

Richie Vecchio: Then why did you stay together?

Frank Vecchio: [pause] We're content.

Bea: We're content.

Frank Vecchio: These kids today, all they're looking for is happiness.

Bea: Don't look for happiness, Richie. It will only make you miserable.

• Love 6
(edited)
If I had that poisonously sweet MIL Megan has I would jump off a bridge. She is AWFUL. They just drop by with groceries to show her how to cook? And needle her mercilessly?

If I had that poisonously sweet MIL Megan has I would throw her off a bridge.  She and granny are bitches, and I'd love to see Meghan be one right back to them both.  Josh would be horrified, but he needs to get a clue.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 4

I am getting sick of Christian and his shitty attitude. He keeps saying he's not "used to" marriage. Dude it's been almost 6mo. Get with it! At this point he's going to completely ruin it for his brothers, in every way possible. Not only will girls not want to be associated with them, he'll end up shaming the family when Maria leaves. I don't doubt that she will. I'm surprised she's stuck around that long, if he's that much of a spoiled brat. If she leaves it will reflect worse on him than her, because at least she can say she tried. I dunno if gypsies can marry a second time, but Maria deserves it. I'm sure she's led a mostly sheltered life during her grooming to be a housewife. She should be spitting bullets right about now!

I'm curious about Veeral's situation and why he chose not to practice medicine. Perhaps he did not pass the USMLE or get into a good residency program? His story didn't quite match up with the in-laws. Speaking of which, Ragini's mother was not pleased when her husband cracked a joke about cooking for him! 

Meghan's mother-in-law is a straight up bitch. Although it pisses me off that the Southern couple are featured on this show because their marriage was in no way arranged, it might be worth it if only to see Meghan serve her mother-in-law a well deserved smackdown.

If Christian's brother Peter has any sense, he won't just refuse an arranged marriage while still in his teens but will insist on attending college. Even community college or junior college would be a better alternative than nothing, and a good opportunity for him to meet some folks (girls included) outside the very restrictive Gypsy circle.

• Love 1

What was with Christian DEMANDING that the cameras be turned off? He said nothing in that conversation he hasn't said before.

And why does Maria dress like a 40 year old file clerk? Is Christian the only one allowed to wear colors too?

• Love 7

I am still not understanding Veeral and Ragini. They lived together for a while before getting married and never talked about his parents living with them or talking about what he was going to do career-wise? They act like they should be on the show Married At First Sight.

I feel bad for Meghan having that bitch for a MIL. I don't know what Meghan does all day, go to school, work, sit in bed eating chips, but she doesn't deserve the wicked witch of the south popping in with food and ordering her to learn how to cook and clean. And if that was me I would have shoved the dirty ceiling fan where the sun don't shine on MIL and Grandma.

There is more to marriage than cleaning, cooking and being a good hostess.

I'm so tired of seeing Maria upset and sad. Her and Christian just seem like two teenager siblings living together who don't like each other. And now the parents are trying to find a wife for their 16 year old son who clearly stated he doesn't want to get married. Period. They aren't listening to him. The problem here are these parents not the kids. Because that's what they are, kids! How big is the basement of this home? The parents actually want two unemployed, uneducated teen couples living there? Smh!

If any Gypsy parents with marriageable daughters see this show they will be running away if this family approaches them.

• Love 1

I am surprised that Veeral is putting Ragini on the spot in front of his parents to move in with them.  Why wouldn't you do this in private? Again, this must all be scripted. 

And in the previews, they are not legally married? They didn't bring all of the documents? Really? They remembered everything else, including the henna and preparations for two weddings but forgot to get legally married?

Maria and Chris, please get a divorce!! PRETTY PLEASE!  And his brother needs to pack a bag and leave town too.  Show no emotion to your spouse? That's a Romani thing? What the hell is this culture about? And why does Maria dress like an Orthodox Jew in Brooklyn somewhere?

• Love 3

I wish I felt sorry for Meghan, but in the 100 years that she dated Josh before she married him, did she never meet her MIL????? Pro-tip for Meghan: there is no law that says you have to answer the door. Especially if the people ringing the bell are uninvited. 

I also think that Meghan and Josh were sad they weren't preggers because they thought they could get more $$ from their parents if they had a bun in the oven. 

I am very happy that I am not Southern like Meghan - I work full time. It would be  cold day in hell before I took on the  responsibility for cleaning up after or cooking for another able bodied adult.

Ragani has turned into a bee-tch since she got that ring on her finger. WOW. V is right -- she picks and chooses traditions to suit her. 

• Love 1

Meaghan's plot line finally interested me. Her MIL is a straight up bitch. The constant nitpicking and the veiled comments from both her and grandma about her weight - "curvaceous" and "healthy" were not being thrown around as compliments. I felt badly for her and I do hope she stands up for herself.

I will add "Free Peter!" to my petition list. That kid seems to be the only one with a lick of sense in that family. He knows he is too young to get married at 17 and wants to be a kid as long as he can - Amen, brother! You'd think after the train wreck that is Christian's marriage, the parents might want to pump the brakes, especially when the kid is saying he is not ready/doesn't want to. I guess that's just not culturally acceptable. I hope Maria and Peter both run off (platonically) and start new lives.

• Love 5

I learned a new word today. Cry face. Is that not crying? Making an ugly cry face (Farrah Abraham) when you do cry?

Peter? Run. Run. Go live with your 17 year old self.  Poor Maria isn't too good with scripted lines. :Monotone: "Can, someone please tell, me, why are boys so, hard?

Ragani bugs. 

• Love 3

I'm confused about the whole Veeral and Ragini thing.  When he first brought the subject up, he stated that he wanted his parents to live with them because it is some old Indian tradition or cultural thing.  Now in this episode, they are framing it as something that needs to be done so that he and Ragini can save money and afford to buy a house.  So, which is it.  Do you want to take care of your parents as they get older like a good Indian son should do, or do you just want to free-load off of them to avoid spending money on rent?

I was confused by Veeral about face on the housing situation as well. Last week it seemed as though the goal was to one day have a house big enough so that his parents could come live with them, and he care for them - not the other way around. I see Ragini's point of view; she wants the prospect of buying a house to give him a kick in the ass in the career department. What does he do instead? Goes running to mommy and daddy so he can delay that process more. It was also pretty shitty to bring it up the prospect of moving in in front of his parents, so she would be trapped. She was 100% right, in my opinion, when she kept trying to tell him that Ragini and Veeral were the new "we" in that situation and it was a decision for the two of them to make. Total dick move by Veeral. 

I'm curious about Veeral's situation and why he chose not to practice medicine. Perhaps he did not pass the USMLE or get into a good residency program? His story didn't quite match up with the in-laws.

Total agree on this. His medical background story doesn't add up.

• Love 1

I had several wicked laughs during this episode:

Anyone watch Josh's perfect Mom peeling that egg? While she's pointing out all the things Meghan doesn't know, she's making it clear to the viewers that she doesn't even know how to boil an egg. What an idiot. Not that Meghan is any better. She had to put on her face when her in-laws paid her a surprise visit? Good grief. Love grandma's comment about how healthy she looked. Some seriously passive aggressive old biddies. Really, though, Meghan, that ceiling fan was filthy. Don't give the old biddies such easy material to work with. 

Ragini has the classic nose job nose, I swear. She didn't get it from her parents. She didn't get those soup coolers from them, either....I wonder what she originally looked like?

I also wonder how far into the engagement they were when Ragini learned that Veeral wanted to be an administrator and not a practicing doctor? Maybe she should have bailed sooner since she seems to have high expectations for her husband and his future income and status. Loved her in-laws showing up with the shopping cart of food.

When he first brought the subject up, he stated that he wanted his parents to live with them because it is some old Indian tradition or cultural thing.  Now in this episode, they are framing it as something that needs to be done so that he and Ragini can save money and afford to buy a house.  So, which is it.

Veeral wants to move in with his parents so that he and Ragini can save money to buy the big house on the beach (in cash) for him, Ragini, and his parents.

Christian (AKA the "boss" according to Peter) demanding that Maria dust the TV, no doubt because he wants to watch it....she should've shoved that broom up his arse. In a way, it's a good thing that they live with his parents because they do have some impact on him. I hate their customs, but they at least see her son for what he is.

Kudos to Christian's mother for not having a problem being seen without makeup. She's really quite cute.....Run, Peter, run!!!!!! Better still, take Maria with you and you can continue being teenagers.

• Love 2

Here is Ragaini's number 1 problem: if she wasn't happy with Veeral's ambition or career, she shouldn't have married him. You do not marry someone hoping they will change. That is a recipe for misery. She should have kept looking on that dating site for someone with a better job. I can't stand her.

• Love 2

Admitted,y I have only watch a few clips of this show, I couldn't overwhelming abuse that Maria is being subjected to. I remember a clip where Christian's father was explaining that they wanted to do the show to show how gypsies in a good light, tremendous fail!!! And the fact that they all just laugh or brush it off how Maria is being treated makes them look even worse. I hope there is a way out for her.

I'm also surprised that FYI thinks showing this abusive relationship is entertaining.

I think the problem with Christian is mainly his age and immaturity. He reminds me of a little boy playing house. Clearly he shouldn't have gotten married. He's YEARS from being ready for a committed relationship. The idea that a wedding ring magically makes someone a functioning adult is nuts!

• Love 5

I can't be the only one watching but not posting, and yet hoping for a lot of posts to read. so here are my thoughts. Christian and Maria make my stomach turn. His immaturity and mean streak, coupled with the Romani culture we are apparently supposed to be learning about through his parent's talking heads make me ill. The beliefs they espouse are no better than the Duggars we have all read about and are so scary. Patriarchal, lack of education, and ripe for abuse of women. It makes me sick to think that this family took her in as nothing more than chattel. They flat out admit they bought her for their son. Six months into the marriage she is still claiming she is in this 100%., regardless of the shown verbal, emotional, and (speculative by me) physical abuse she has suffered at Christian's hands. The saddest part to me is that Maria still wants so much for this marriage to work because of what she has been taught to believe her entire life and through the examples held up to her. Everyone has an excuse. Everyone in her life says that is just the way it is. But it's not. It doesn't have to be. It makes me sick that the show is using them as entertainment whille they pretend they are portraying them as a cautionary tale or a cultural lesson. This is the reality for that entire culture and it makes me ragey. The only reason I still watch the show is in hope that she will ultimately leave as they keep teasing, but I'm afraid we will be spoonfed the same reality show bullshit where they overcome their differences and live happily ever after. This isn't funny, entertaining or educational. This is nauseating.

And don't even get me started on Megan's MIL. That's a whole other post.

• Love 2

Anyone watch Josh's perfect Mom peeling that egg? While she's pointing out all the things Meghan doesn't know, she's making it clear to the viewers that she doesn't even know how to boil an egg. What an idiot. Not that Meghan is any better. She had to put on her face when her in-laws paid her a surprise visit? Good grief. Love grandma's comment about how healthy she looked. Some seriously passive aggressive old biddies. Really, though, Meghan, that ceiling fan was filthy. Don't give the old biddies such easy material to work with. 

I thought  the Meghan/M-I-L and Grandma segment of this episode played out like a sitcom from the 1960s or 70s.  Golden Girls, perhaps?  

It was so unabashedly scripted, flying in the face of the "proper Southern lady" stereotype that they've been pitching us from Day One.  What well-bred Belle would dare to show up anywhere uninvited, let alone subject her hostess to a reproachful housekeeping inspection?

Kudos to Christian's mother for not having a problem being seen without makeup. She's really quite cute.....Run, Peter, run!!!!!! Better still, take Maria with you and you can continue being teenagers.

I think she's very cute, too.  Her husband seems pleased as punch with the outcome of his own arranged marriage.  When he stated the reason for supporting the gypsy tradition of arranged marriage ("It works!"), I couldn't help but wonder if his wife shared her husband's enthusiasm.  He seems personable and engaging, as does his wife, although she clearly picked the longer straw in the "physical attraction" category.

Christian, at age 18,  and Peter, one year younger, do not seem even remotely ready for adulthood, let alone marriage. Peter, in explaining why he opposes his parents' wishes regarding young marriage, seemed to speak for Christian, as well.  I thought he expressed himself in a mature, logical manner, but a lot of good it will do if the parents prove unwilling to respect his feelings and individuality.  Peter is wise.  He is not keen on sacrificing the few remaining carefree years of his life to a cultural expectation that holds no value for him at present.

(Despite the family's disregard for proper English, it's pretty obvious that both Christian and Peter are quite intelligent.  Now if only they would stop using double negatives and mispronouncing the little three-letter word, "A-S-K.").

• Love 2

Yes, Ragini has gotten a nose-job and might I add, I see some skin-bleaching going on too.  I know that that is very big in East India (among other countries).

Scripted or not, she is a poor fit for Veeral. She is on a high horse of accomplishments, money and singledom.  He is the complete opposite.  How did they get together and how hard is it to get a divorce (embarrassment wise, etc.) in their culture.  Anyone know?

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't be the only one watching but not posting, and yet hoping for a lot of posts to read. so here are my thoughts. Christian and Maria make my stomach turn. His immaturity and mean streak, coupled with the Romani culture we are apparently supposed to be learning about through his parent's talking heads make me ill. The beliefs they espouse are no better than the Duggars we have all read about and are so scary. Patriarchal, lack of education, and ripe for abuse of women. It makes me sick to think that this family took her in as nothing more than chattel. They flat out admit they bought her for their son. Six months into the marriage she is still claiming she is in this 100%., regardless of the shown verbal, emotional, and (speculative by me) physical abuse she has suffered at Christian's hands. The saddest part to me is that Maria still wants so much for this marriage to work because of what she has been taught to believe her entire life and through the examples held up to her. Everyone has an excuse. Everyone in her life says that is just the way it is. But it's not. It doesn't have to be. It makes me sick that the show is using them as entertainment whille they pretend they are portraying them as a cautionary tale or a cultural lesson. This is the reality for that entire culture and it makes me ragey. The only reason I still watch the show is in hope that she will ultimately leave as they keep teasing, but I'm afraid we will be spoonfed the same reality show bullshit where they overcome their differences and live happily ever after. This isn't funny, entertaining or educational. This is nauseating.

And don't even get me started on Megan's MIL. That's a whole other post.

Agreed. It boggles my mind that in the United States in 2015 people are living this medieval life. Time to join the 21st century. Maria won't leave. Where would she go? Her parents won't take her back--they've probably already spent the money Christian's parents paid for her. She's 17, no education, no resources, probably a deep distrust of any gadje (non-Gypsy), who she's been trained to avoid since childhood. And if Christian can't even be arsed to talk to her he's not going to be showing her much consideration in the sack. They had an opportunity to open a door to a culture we don't know much about, and they give us this sad, sordid little story. Maria probably lived her whole life with her parents very, very sheltered, and looked forward to marriage so she could go out and have fun. Poor thing. How long before the inlaws are harping on her to get pregnant?

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 2

Yes, Ragini has gotten a nose-job and might I add, I see some skin-bleaching going on too.  I know that that is very big in East India (among other countries).

I don't think Ragini has had any skin bleaching. I am North Indian like Ragini (although she is Punjabi while I'm Sindhi) and my skin tone is the same as hers. I also don't suspect her of a nose job either but many of you here are convinced so I'm not so sure about that one.

What I did find suspect was her business card. All it said was "Ragini Bahl, Vice President." There was no corporate logo and it did not appear FYI had blurred one out.

• Love 1

I don't think Ragini has had any skin bleaching. I am North Indian like Ragini (although she is Punjabi while I'm Sindhi) and my skin tone is the same as hers. I also don't suspect her of a nose job either but many of you here are convinced so I'm not so sure about that one.

What I did find suspect was her business card. All it said was "Ragini Bahl, Vice President." There was no corporate logo and it did not appear FYI had blurred one out.

Thank you for your response and not getting offended.  I like to hear people from the same culture weigh in.  I love to learn about other cultures!  Her business card was a little blank.  lol! I wonder what her salary is?

(edited)

How did they get together and how hard is it to get a divorce (embarrassment wise, etc.) in their culture.  Anyone know?

Divorces are frowned upon in Indian culture, but not unheard of. My parents (both Indian) met and married in the USA. The marriage only lasted a couple of years and my mom filed for divorce when I was a toddler. 

My mother was the only one of her sisters not to have an arranged marriage because she never wanted to be dependent on someone else for survival. Even though she could have been married into considerable wealth, the idea of being a housewife never sat well with her. I'm told by her relatives that she was inundated with marriage proposals (she has green eyes and pretty features) but luckily her father was quite progressive and heeded her wishes. Thus, she was able to complete graduate school and then promptly moved to Europe since unmarried, professional women in India were an oddity that were often gossiped about at the time.

Edited by Rahul
  • Love 1
(edited)
comment deleted by moderator - ta

The business card was just pure TV. They wouldn't want to reveal where she works (if she actually works anywhere). Probably some telephone marketing company (just being cynical).

Thus, she was able to attend college and graduate school and then promptly moved to Europe where she could be free off the oppressive restrictions and expectations for women in India.

I have a friend who is still concerned about her family back in India, despite an advanced degree obtained in the US. They (her family there) try to keep her divorce a secret. So much pressure to conform and follow "the rules".  I'm not familiar with all people who come to America from other countries, but I have a sense that more so than other immigrants I've known or am friends with, Indians make an effort to retain their culture and yes, do not mix much with non-Indians. I'm always telling my friend that she's not Indian-American, she's an Indian living in America. Though staged, I find the dynamics between Ragini and Veeral to be the most interesting.

Edited by Tara Ariano

I have a friend who is still concerned about her family back in India, despite an advanced degree obtained in the US. They (her family there) try to keep her divorce a secret. So much pressure to conform and follow "the rules".  I'm not familiar with all people who come to America from other countries, but I have a sense that more so than other immigrants I've known or am friends with, Indians make an effort to retain their culture and yes, do not mix much with non-Indians. I'm always telling my friend that she's not Indian-American, she's an Indian living in America. Though staged, I find the dynamics between Ragini and Veeral to be the most interesting.

I'm not at all surprised by this. Divorce used to be very much taboo in Indian families, though social mores have been changing in the past couple of decades for the urban sector. Was your friend's arranged or a "love match" as they call it? 

My mom's situation, although not arranged, may not have been entirely for love either. My father proposed after only a couple of months of dating. Mom was already in her mid thirties (which is considered well past prime marriageable age for an Indian woman) and wanted children while my father needed citizenship (or so the story goes). I've been told by my godmother that my mother's parents made her vow she would never marry again if she went through with the divorce and she never did. However, my mom denies this. I am still puzzled as to what the real story is and unfortunately I cannot ask my grandparents since they have both expired.

As to the other issue of retaining one's culture; I agree that most Indian expats are very proud of their Indian heritage and make a concerted effort to keep their culture and traditions alive. However, that never stopped either one of my parents from socializing with non-Indians. I would say a good 90% of their friends were white in their younger days, although both of them seem to have gravitated towards surrounding themselves with Indians in their golden years.

Divorces are frowned upon in Indian culture, but not unheard of. My parents (both Indian) met and married in the USA. The marriage only lasted a couple of years and my mom filed for divorce when I was a toddler. 

My mother was the only one of her sisters not to have an arranged marriage because she never wanted to be dependent on someone else for survival. Even though she could have been married into considerable wealth, the idea of being a housewife never sat well with her. I'm told by her relatives that she was inundated with marriage proposals (she has green eyes and pretty features) but luckily her father was quite progressive and heeded her wishes. Thus, she was able to complete graduate school and then promptly moved to Europe since unmarried, professional women in India were an oddity that were often gossiped about at the time.

Your mother is very pretty! Thankfuly she had a progressive father.  I am wondering about Ragini's parents.  They seem to be less involved and less vocal.  She needs their support.  I would love to hear what they have to say about her independent nature.

(edited)

Your mother is very pretty! Thankfuly she had a progressive father.  I am wondering about Ragini's parents.  They seem to be less involved and less vocal.  She needs their support.  I would love to hear what they have to say about her independent nature.

Ragini definitely gets her drive from her parents, both of whom are well accomplished. Her mother Saroj is highly educated with a doctorate degree and has gone on record on the show about how her family is a lot more liberal than Veeral's.

Here is an excerpt from an article on Ragini and Veeral's marriage that I posted in a previous thread:

Her father Vishwa, is a civil engineer and co-owner of the consulting firm Ratnala & Bahl Engineers. Her mother Saroj has a PhD in nutrition and Is a professor at the University of Texas Houston School of Dentistry.

Edited by Rahul
  • Love 1
(edited)

Was your friend's arranged or a "love match" as they call it?

Yes, it was arranged. Her parents, though, were a love match.

Wow, your mother was in her mid-thirties? I will assume that she was out of India by then. That would be an impossible situation in India, I would think. What I've learned in my up close and personal experience with Indian friends is that family rules. Another friend of mine was talking about the lack of family closeness in many American families, but I pointed out to him that we probably have more intense and extensive friendships. He was surprised to learn that most godparents were friends, not family members (at least in my world).

My un-scientific thoughts are that love matches are much better at first, but considering the attitude and commitment involved in the arranged marriage, once the fireworks subside in a love match, there's probably not a whole lot of difference in the feelings of both couples. Just my own little theory. I think arranged couples would approve Miranda Lambert's line that "Stayin' married was the only way to work your problems out." Mind you, the idea of being arranged really freaks me out, but I can see its merits once you're several years into it and you settle into it. As a friend once stated after his 15-year live-in relationship fell apart once they married, "I don't think it matters who you marry. It's a crapshoot."

I have another friend in an old, arranged marriage. He and his wife seem more like friends/roommates, though. Don't see the sparks, but I guess in your retirement years, it can be more about the fraternity.

I feel bad for Christian and his brother because neither is ready for marriage. Hopefully gypsies will realize the merit to pushing arrangements back several years. How sad to not enjoy your late teens and twenties  exploring your individuality.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 1

So many things bothered me about this episode, but since others have already brought them up, I don't see the point in rehashing.

I do want to mention on thing I caught that I haven't seen anyone else talk about.

In regards to Josh and Meghan, at one point, Josh said (paraphrasing) Meghan had told him about how his mother had been treating her, and he said he just doesn't see it. Then, he was privy to the comments made during the dinner, and in his TH said he was beginning to see what Meghan meant, but there was nothing he could do about it.

That pissed me off. I'm not particularly religious, but Josh, Meghan, and their families are Christians. The Bible does say when you marry, you leave you families and cleave onto your spouse. IOW, your SPOUSE - not your mother, father, etc., are to become your priority.

Furthermore, in marriage it is up to each partner to manage their respective family members. Josh obviously LOVES to be babied by his mother, and also quite obviously is unwilling to do anything that could jeopardize that relationship, even at the expense of Meghan's happiness (hey - it's kinda like he has TWO women fighting over him!). But it is HIS responsibility to take his mother aside and tell her some of the comments she's made to his wife are totally unacceptable and must stop. Meghan is in for years of misery unless and until Josh decides to man up and put her first AND make it clear to his mother his wife is now #1 and must be treated with respect.

• Love 1

So let me see if I understand this.  When we were first introduced to Veeral, we were told he was a doctor, but now we find out that he dropped out of medical school and is now working in administration.  In all the time that Ragini and Veral were dating, the subject of where his parents would live never came up  - until now.  A poster once said that their storyline seems manufactured and that Veeral appears to have an eye on a career in the entertainment industry.  I am starting to believe this just might be true.  I wouldn't be surprise if their next stop is "Marriage Boot Camp - Reality Stars".

Maria looks and carries herself like a 40 year old woman, while her "husband" looks and carries himself like a 14 year old.  What a match!

• Love 2

Do not be surprised if we see Christian's family back on Season 2 (if they do one.) with marrying Peter off.

Josh needs to get off his A$$ and clean that ceiling fan himself! I loved when they showed his Grandma in an over sized t-shirt. lol

V&R drive me batty. Though I love the interviews with their parents. I some times wonder if R had her lips done. Depending on the camera views, it looks like her lips were filled at one time and now it is going down. These two have NOT talked enough before marriage.

Ragini has the classic nose job nose, I swear. She didn't get it from her parents. She didn't get those soup coolers from them, either....I wonder what she originally looked like?

I also wonder how far into the engagement they were when Ragini learned that Veeral wanted to be an administrator and not a practicing doctor? Maybe she should have bailed sooner since she seems to have high expectations for her husband and his future income and status. Loved her in-laws showing up with the shopping cart of food.

Veeral wants to move in with his parents so that he and Ragini can save money to buy the big house on the beach (in cash) for him, Ragini, and his parents.

Christian (AKA the "boss" according to Peter) demanding that Maria dust the TV, no doubt because he wants to watch it....she should've shoved that broom up his arse. In a way, it's a good thing that they live with his parents because they do have some impact on him. I hate their customs, but they at least see her son for what he is.

My husband would never tell me that something needed to be dusted...it would definitely not go his way lol

• Love 1
(edited)

What was with Christian DEMANDING that the cameras be turned off? He said nothing in that conversation he hasn't said before.

I love that the cameramen just placed the cameras on the table or counter at a perfect angle to capture Christian's tantrum.

I don't get what Veeral really needs from his parents. Does he want them in the home to take care of them (according to tradition) or does he just need help making ends meet? His parents look to be retired - is he expecting that they use their retirement funds to pay the household bills? That's pretty shitty if so. According to a quick online search, Veeral graduated from medical school and went into medical sales immediately. Now he's working in patient safety administration. I guess he didn't want to practice directly with patients.

I do agree with Veeral that Ragini is inconsistent. She wants a husband who is a breadwinner, but she admits she can't cook and isn't big on cleaning. She wants certain traditions, but doesn't want others.

Anyone else want to hug Christian's brother? He doesn't want to be married yet and certainly isn't ready, but his parents don't care. I hope they take Christian and Maria as an example and realize that these kids were not ready for the reality of marriage. Teenagers typically aren't.

Edited by trimthatfat
(edited)

What well-bred Belle would dare to show up anywhere uninvited, let alone subject her hostess to a reproachful housekeeping inspection?

This is something that Jed Clampett's hillbilly kinfolk would do. I guess some southerners are classier than others.

don't get what Veeral really needs from his parents. Does he want them in the home to take care of them (according to tradition) or does he just need help making ends meet?

I think he is following what I think is a tradition of living with your parents for the fraternity of it, saving money (and no doubt letting his mother occasionally spoon feed him) so that they can save the money to then take care of his parents in their later years.

It bothers me that Christian and Maria's parents are forcing these kids into a tradition that these kids are aware are outdated and know that the majority of their peers out there are whooping it up a bit in their twenties and getting to now several perspective partners. What if Christian's gay? How miserable might he end up being, and how miserable will he make Maria? 

I thought  the Meghan/M-I-L and Grandma segment of this episode played out like a sitcom from the 1960s or 70s.  Golden Girls, perhaps?

Marie and Deborah Barone from "Everybody Loves Raymond". But funny because you knew that Deborah could take it and wasn't intimidated.

Edited by mojito

Poor Maria, part eleventy billiion. That poor kid. She seems pretty sharp for someone who's been isolated and probably minimally educated. Christian's parents are worse than useless. They remind me of the parents in that old movie "Lovers and Other Strangers" (1970, star studded, really funny, worth seeing!) who keep asking their son, who's getting divorced "what's the story?" Sample:

Richie Vecchio: Don't you understand, Joan and I are just not happy together.

Frank Vecchio: You hear that, Beatrice? They're not happy together.

Bea: I heard, Frank.

Frank Vecchio: So who's happy?

Bea: Who's happy?

Frank Vecchio: What, do you see me running around dancing in the streets?

Bea: Do you see your father running around dancing in the streets?

Frank Vecchio: What are you, better than me? You think your mother and I are happy?

Richie Vecchio: You mean you and mom aren't happy?

Frank Vecchio: [together with Bea] No!

Richie Vecchio: Then why did you stay together?

Frank Vecchio: [pause] We're content.

Bea: We're content.

Frank Vecchio: These kids today, all they're looking for is happiness.

Bea: Don't look for happiness, Richie. It will only make you miserable.

You quoted Lovers and Other Strangers!  My father and I do the Bea and Frank monologues all. the. time.

Do you know who I blame?  The Ecumenical Council!

• Love 2

haha, ChicGirl, I love that movie! "I hate veiny veal". I'm making it my life's mission to introduce my son and his friends to the great movies I love from the 70's and 80's. I hope Lovers and Other Strangers is on netflix!

The absolute BEST moment of this entire series, IMO, was during this episode.

It was at Josh and Megans, in the morning when they were in bed.

There was a shot of Josh, sleeping on his stomach with his face in the pillow, and their golden retriever snuggled up against him resting his face on Josh's shoulder, and then another shot from the other side of the bed, where we see Megan all cuddled up next to the dog with her face in his fur.

It was SOOO CUTE!!! OMG that dog looked like he was in doggie heaven... all snuggled up between his humans.

I too think she had a nose job and something done to her lips. My husband is "Desi" Indo/Pak , and he has, along with family, lightened the skin with creams so it could be a possibility for her. It's really obvious with her nose , even she sounds nasal. I'm from Houston, she is from an area southwest , named Sugarland, which is mostly rich people, lots of Indians, even Beyonce is from Sugarland. So, I could totally see that from someone living in that area.