Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: I Knew You Were Trouble

Somehow, every week, I am surprised by this show's ridiculousness. Isn't Carter a minor? Why are Lori's doctors contacting her directly? Every time some new rando shows up and starts defending Lori with, "I know she did bad things, but..." I can't help but think, 'yeah, I don't think you do know just how horrible Lori's actions were/are.' 

• Love 4

Ew, sleeping with your twin sister's ex boyfriend.  Ew, sleeping with your ex girlfriend's twin sister.  What idiot thought this would be a good idea for a storyline?  I don't find it dramatic...it's just disgusting.  So now I can't root for Max and Taylor to get back together, and I'm left thinking that Carter is a shitty sister.  This show just keeps getting worse, and I don't think I'll be sorry when it is cancelled.    

• Love 1

What is with this show & them telling us exactly what’s coming up? Why are they giving it all away during the commercials?

So Madison is the one Lori was talking to when she took Carter the 2nd time?

They did a great job casting little girl Carter, she really looked like her.

Did anything happen after Taylor left Carter in the kitchen? The show recorded 4 extra minutes, but it still cut off.

• Love 1

Well, Taylor was sleeping with Carter's ex boyfriend first.  Right?  But Carter and Max didn't work out, became just friends instead, and then Max and Taylor hooked up for ten seconds before she broke up with him and started treating him like a bad idea.  Taylor's been impossible in spite of Max's attempts to be friendly and nice. So Max and Carter hook up again and suddenly it's all about poor hurt Taylor?  It's like this show has short term memory loss or something.  No one bothers with  continuity.  

I hate you, show. 

• Love 5

Ugh, this show....

Somehow, every week, I am surprised by this show's ridiculousness. Isn't Carter a minor? Why are Lori's doctors contacting her directly? Every time some new rando shows up and starts defending Lori with, "I know she did bad things, but..." I can't help but think, 'yeah, I don't think you do know just how horrible Lori's actions were/are.' 

I kept thinking this the entire time.  Why are the doctors calling a child?  Why is Carter allowed to see Lori by herself?  It just didn't make any sense.  And all these people who keep trying to explain away Lori's actions need to just go away.  The woman is a psycho.  I don't care if she is their biological mother.  She signed away her rights.  If she changed her mind, then fine.  But normal people would have went back to the clinic, then to court.  They don't stalk the family, sexually manipulate the father to get closer, then kidnap the kids.

Also, the Carter/Max thing, way to be cliche show and ruin the one aspect I still liked about this show, the sister stuff with Carter and Taylor.

Forget the relationship between Carter and Taylor; the best part of the show was Max and Carter's friendship and that better not be ruined.  That kiss came out of nowhere.  There was no suggestive caressing, "You've always been there for me"s, sexual tension....Just nothing but sob, sob, sob, kiss to sex in the back of the pickup.  (And by the way, MTV, it would have been more "shocking" if you hadn't actually shown the scene several times a week over the last 4-5 weeks.  Just saying.)  And how Max and Carter left it didn't ring true to me for the characters.  They always talk about everything and they've been through a heck of lot together...more than most friends have.  They certainly would have had a discussion about it and what it meant.  But I guess since this is all about Taylor, they had to leave it unfinished and angsty. 

Man, I wanted to punch Taylor in the face this entire episode.  Who the fuck is she to tell her parents that they aren't allowed to support they're daughter, who is clearly in pain and confused.  But no, her fashion show is more important.  Can she get kidnapped next?  And never found?  As for mom and dad - worse parents ever!  No wonder Grant ran.  One of them should have gotten their asses in a car and drove up to the hospital to meet Carter.  Yes, she is mature, and she likes to work through things on her own, but she is still a child.  And a grownup presence there, since that doctor seemed like an unprofessional idiot, would  have helped provide support and make sure Carter wasn't being manipulated by Lori.

And where in the hell was Grant?  Hanging out with grandpa?

• Love 1
Really. I just want to know that Grant won't be on a milk carton in the near future. Poor kid.

I'm worried he's a candidate for Chuck Cunningham Syndrome.

Just when I was thinking super-sweet, caring Max should go back to school and become a social worker or something like that when this happens. Guess that's not a very good idea. Still, it was originally Max and Carter, then it was Max and Taylor, now it's Max and Carter. Sigh. Max needs to take it a little further afield, methinks.

Regarding Carter talking to Lori's doctor. Not only is she a minor, but it's very odd in light of HIPPA, since she's really not her daughter/family and WTF was Max doing in the room privy to this private health information? Wow. Talk about a lawsuit waiting to happen! This is what I get for watching a show geared waaaay outside my demographic!

• Love 4

Last season was so long ago that I don't even remember Carter saying that she used to date Max.  Even if that was the case, I wouldn't have been too bothered by Taylor dating Max since Carter/Max would have happened before Taylor and Carter were reunited as sisters, so the only knowledge that Taylor had of the relationship is what Carter told her.  She wasn't actually a witness to any of it.  Plus, Carter was there giving her blessing to Taylor, encouraging her to go for Max.

What majorly grosses me out now is that Carter has been telling Taylor and Max all season that they love each other and should get back together.  She's been rooting for them as a couple.  And then she's having a bad day, so she goes and sleeps with Max?  It really seems out of character for Max as well.  I have a hard time believing that knowing the bad place that Carter was in, he wouldn't have put a stop to the whole thing.  I guess it would have been a different situation if Carter found herself falling for Max, and she approached Taylor to get the OK to move ahead with a romantic relationship with him.  But nope, it was just a quickie thing to make herself feel better.  Gross.  So disappointed in Max and Carter (but really, I don't care too much about this stupid show, so eh, whatever). 

And Carter's line about how they "all" made mistakes??? Come on! "Hey, sure you accidentally did some kidnapping and drugging and fleeing from the feds and stuff, but we're all culpable here! Don't be so hard on yourself!"

Well, Taylor was sleeping with Carter's ex boyfriend first. 

Yep - Carter and Max were together, and then friends-with-benefits for quite some time.

The re-hook-up didn't ring true because even though Carter was emotionally overwrought and exposed, Max wasn't. What was his excuse?

I don't care if she is their biological mother.  She signed away her rights.  If she changed her mind, then fine.  But normal people would have went back to the clinic, then to court.  They don't stalk the family, sexually manipulate the father to get closer, then kidnap the kids.

She's not the biological mother, though, and she never had any rights at all to sign away. She donated some biological matter to a clinic, that's it. I wish this show would stop having the characters act like that's a mitigating factor in any way. They keep treating the situation as though she was the bio-mom who gave them up for adoption or something. Not even close.

• Love 1

What majorly grosses me out now is that Carter has been telling Taylor and Max all season that they love each other and should get back together.  She's been rooting for them as a couple.  And then she's having a bad day, so she goes and sleeps with Max?  It really seems out of character for Max as well.  I have a hard time believing that knowing the bad place that Carter was in, he wouldn't have put a stop to the whole thing.  I guess it would have been a different situation if Carter found herself falling for Max, and she approached Taylor to get the OK to move ahead with a romantic relationship with him.  But nope, it was just a quickie thing to make herself feel better.  Gross.  So disappointed in Max and Carter (but really, I don't care too much about this stupid show, so eh, whatever). 

I think it was out of character for both of them, and that this is the show trying to create drama from thin air.  Carter and Taylor have more than enough problems for them to focus on and make dramatic without dragging Max in the middle with absolutely no buildup whatsoever.  The whole situation was out of left field.

She's not the biological mother, though, and she never had any rights at all to sign away. She donated some biological matter to a clinic, that's it. I wish this show would stop having the characters act like that's a mitigating factor in any way. They keep treating the situation as though she was the bio-mom who gave them up for adoption or something. Not even close.

I agree.  When I said biological mom, I meant completely in the DNA sense.  And you do have to sign away all legal rights when you donate to a fertility clinic.  But Lori, incorrectly and psychotically, thinks of herself as the bio-mom and that's what I was trying to get at, just not very eloquently!

• Love 2

I knew at the end of last week's episode when Madison said she was going to live with Max & "his bird?" that the two of them would hook up. And sorry, but would the ladies at the country club really be THAT verklempt over Bird's presence there?

Since we're supposed to love Crash now, Max & Carter kind of screwed him over too...wasn't it yesterday that Max was waxing poetic (Maxing poetic?) about how he & Crash accidentally became friends? Wasn't Crash supposed to be Carter's epic great love? It wouldn't even surprise me at this point if they have a Taylor/Crash hook-up when he returns.

I almost threw my 20lb cat at my television last night. This show angered me so damn much! F*ck! But I'm still going to watch every stupid minute of it. Sigh...

• Love 1

Did anything happen after Taylor left Carter in the kitchen? The show recorded 4 extra minutes, but it still cut off.

I have the same question, mine cut off.

And you do have to sign away all legal rights when you donate to a fertility clinic.  But Lori, incorrectly and psychotically, thinks of herself as the bio-mom and that's what I was trying to get at, just not very eloquently!

Gotcha. I was thinking "she had no rights to sign away" in the sense that when you donate eggs, you sign the agreement before you even start harvesting, so there's just no excuse for any "oopsie." You also sign away the rights to know whether the eggs even went to anyone or worked at all! You're not allowed to find out if it resulted in a pregnancy/child. That's another reason this thing is so annoying. I mean I guess the idea is that she got the info illegally because she was a nurse, but they clearly don't actually care how or why. 

I'm still endlessly entertained by this stupid idea that Lori was such a permissive, laid-back parent while Carter's real parents are just so uptight. They're not! They let her do absolutely whatever she wants and then apologize to her for her mistakes!

Can't help but wonder if the Madison/Bird hookup was to keep viewers who originally tuned in because they loved Kathryn Prescott on Skins and have had it.

• Love 3

It is possible for two exes to have a tender moment WITHOUT leading into a hook-up.... But, to MTV, that's impossible....;-x

Can't help but wonder if the Madison/Bird hookup was to keep viewers who originally tuned in because they loved Kathryn Prescott on Skins and have had it.

R.I.P Skins UK

• Love 4

The only reason I'm still sticking around is because I absolutely adored Kathryn and her sister on Skins.  But the show is quickly trying my damn patience.

• Love 1

The show hasn't reached hatrewatch level so the only way to enjoy this mess is with a glass of wine. Drink every time they mention Lori! Fun times.

My "favorite" scene was Gabe serving up drinks and advice to Elizabeth! The adults are so clueless and self centered. Stop talking to your lovers' son about your issues! Ugh.

This show would have been amazing if it were animated! Like Archer but for teens.

• Love 2

I think the problem with this show is that they have no plot past the whole Lori thing. Once Carter was back, they have nothing else to talk about.

• Love 4

You hit it on the head GaT-without Lori, this is just another show about teens having parties. The problem is there is not much they can do with or about Lori anymore. She could break out and try to kidnap Carter again but that's about it. One thing  that continues to annoy me is that Carter is supposed to be very smart, but she doesn't seem to get how much Lori hurt her family, particularly her parents. And yes, the current parents let her do whatever she wants to do same as Lori.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think the problem with this show is that they have no plot past the whole Lori thing. Once Carter was back, they have nothing else to talk about.

It's problematic because that was the whole premise before they essentially got rid of it completely this season, so really, this show doesn't really have anything going for it.

The show hasn't reached hatrewatch level

I wish it was, because it would've been fun to watch as an actual trainwreck instead of what it actually is.

Edited by Free
  • Love 1

I feel like they rushed Carter adjusting to her new/old life. There is so much drama to be mined from a girl who is returned to a family she doesn't remember after so many years. I was excited to watch that show. See how she lashes out at the world, her parents trying to remind her of her early years with them. Now the only thing I an interested in is Grant and Taylor's resentment of being the forgotten kids. But even that is just a once in a while on the surface kind of storyline. What must it have been like growing up in the shadow of a sister who wasn't even there. That's some dramatic gold right there and the show squandered it away so we can watch teens do drugs and screw each other.

I can't help but wonder what the show would have been had another network, not geared toward sex and drug crazed teens, picked it up. Much of my frustration comes from such a brilliant idea being wasted.

Just Carter, or the whole family, in therapy could have been excellent.

I also think they rushed the Lori storyline. Yes, she is evil, yes she kidnapped Carter and ruined a family, but to Carter she was a loving, fun, awesome mom. I would think it would be a little harder to give that up.

I think this should have been a limited run show, or they should have slowed everything down because now Carter's kidnapping is nothing. It's like it never happened.

• Love 6

I feel like they rushed Carter adjusting to her new/old life. There is so much drama to be mined from a girl who is returned to a family she doesn't remember after so many years. I was excited to watch that show. See how she lashes out at the world, her parents trying to remind her of her early years with them. Now the only thing I an interested in is Grant and Taylor's resentment of being the forgotten kids. But even that is just a once in a while on the surface kind of storyline. What must it have been like growing up in the shadow of a sister who wasn't even there. That's some dramatic gold right there and the show squandered it away so we can watch teens do drugs and screw each other.

I can't help but wonder what the show would have been had another network, not geared toward sex and drug crazed teens, picked it up. Much of my frustration comes from such a brilliant idea being wasted.

Just Carter, or the whole family, in therapy could have been excellent.

I also think they rushed the Lori storyline. Yes, she is evil, yes she kidnapped Carter and ruined a family, but to Carter she was a loving, fun, awesome mom. I would think it would be a little harder to give that up.

I think this should have been a limited run show, or they should have slowed everything down because now Carter's kidnapping is nothing. It's like it never happened.

Exactly, this is where the drama should've come from, they even had the therapy stuff that eventually went to waste.  As for the Lori stuff, it feels like they're treating it as an on/off switch instead of something more organic/natural inner struggle for both Carter's character, as well as the rest of the family.

• Love 1

I feel like they rushed Carter adjusting to her new/old life. There is so much drama to be mined from a girl who is returned to a family she doesn't remember after so many years. I was excited to watch that show. See how she lashes out at the world, her parents trying to remind her of her early years with them. 

I agree, the premise of the show was really Carter readjusting to her new family.  They really did rush that part of the show.  There could have been more done involving the other kids readjusting too.  

• Love 3

Ugh, this show....

I kept thinking this the entire time.  Why are the doctors calling a child?  Why is Carter allowed to see Lori by herself?  It just didn't make any sense.  And all these people who keep trying to explain away Lori's actions need to just go away.  The woman is a psycho.  I don't care if she is their biological mother.  She signed away her rights.  If she changed her mind, then fine.  But normal people would have went back to the clinic, then to court.  They don't stalk the family, sexually manipulate the father to get closer, then kidnap the kids.

Agree completely about the doctor's actions in this episode. Where in professional ethics is it appropriate to contact a minor in a matter like this, instead of that minor's parents/guardians? Especially when said minor is the focus of your patient's obsession? And why would you let that minor in a room with the person who kidnapped her-TWICE!

The same warped logic is at work in a world where a business (the country club) allows minors to serve alcohol. Nuts.

I've come to a resolution that has helped me as I watch this show, and may help fellow posters. Because I swear, I spend most episodes wanting to scream. Remember the demographic for whom this show is REALLY written. That's why the teenagers are acting like they run the world, there are very few parents or adults on the scene, and those that do exist act like idiots much of the time. To actual teenagers, I bet this show is like catnip.

• Love 2
(edited)

Carter would never be allowed any kind of contact with her kidnapper, either through phone calls, visits or even updates by doctors. Whoever is writing this show is making assumptions that teenagers have every legal right, when in reality they don't. On top of that, to me the actress who plays Carter looks way older than a teen so it makes the whole story unbelievable. I do think Taylor looks and sounds like a real teen  (as does Grant), but Crash, Max, Bird all seem like actors in their mid-twenties.

I really the actors who play the parents and wish they could have story lines that were more about their children and less about adultery. And what happened to the dad's book?

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 2

Yeah, there's just no way that a kidnap victim, especially one who is also a minor, would be contacted by the kidnapper's doctor about her medical condition. Regardless of the show's attempt to equate egg donor with biological mother, that's patently ridiculous.

I might have been able to buy that Carter turned to Max for comfort as a reflex without thinking it through if the show had made an effort to establish that kind of pattern and history between them early in season one (by actually showing it rather than just mentioning in passing that they hooked up occasionally), before Max and Taylor got together. That still wouldn't have explained what the hell Max was doing, but at least it would have made Carter's role in the hookup seem like more than just a terrible plot device.

Carter's acceptance of her real family last season seemed really rushed, so it's not entirely unwelcome to see her dealing with some ambivalent or conflicting feelings. However, it's happening in such a ham-fisted way that I can't shake the horrible feeling this is all somehow leading to Lori getting out of the psych ward and initiating a custody battle, with Carter forced to choose a side (again).

I agree with how the actors look older than teenagers. I think the only teen that is actually still a teen is Anna Jacoby-Heron (Taylor) who is 19. Kathryn Prescott turns 24 in a few days and Alex Saxon (Max) is like 27.

I agree with how the actors look older than teenagers. I think the only teen that is actually still a teen is Anna Jacoby-Heron (Taylor) who is 19. Kathryn Prescott turns 24 in a few days and Alex Saxon (Max) is like 27.

wow! He's 27?!?! I need to know his skin care routine, stat. I thought for sure he was 21, 22.

I'm actually debating with myself which is lamer.  The hookup and bullshit triangle that's going to result, or the incredible Svengali-like power Lori apparently has to deceive a presumably well qualified doctor, to totally subvert a Nurse (or was she an Orderly?) as WELL as the gay friend, into ACTIVELY helping her.

Good lord.  People on Game of Thrones don't seem to scheme half as well as Lori.

• Love 3