Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6: Info, Casting and Spoilers

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:
  Hide contents

Summer dying.  I can't take it with these Direwolves' deaths.  FUCK!

When Sansa and Jon were leaving Castle Black, I was all "where's Ghost? Why isn't Ghost leaving with Jon?" Then Summer died, and I'm starting to think it's better if we never see the direwolves anymore. 

I wonder if it's more expensive to CGI the wolves than it is to CGI the dragons?  Maybe because they use dogs and real wolves, IIRC, and then enhance them in post.  Real animals are always more work than puppets.  If so, maybe D&D are just killing the wolves to save some money and production time.  Scenes with real animals are notoriously tricky to film, as even the best trained animals will go their own way from time to time.

I'm hoping that Martin keeps them alive in the books.

Anywhoo, I'm pissed!

Oh yes. I agree. 

The added sound effects:

Spoiler

Of Summer whelping and whining were sad! 

(edited)

So this season we lose TWO wolves, and Ramsay STILL LIVES?!

That halts one had better not be true. I've had my heart set on Ramsay being eaten alive by Ghost since the beginning of this season.

Oh Sansa. It's always one step forward and two steps back with you.

Edited by Spartan Girl
10 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:
  Hide contents

So this season we lose TWO wolves, and Ramsay STILL LIVES?!/spoiler]

That halts one had better not be true. I've had my heart set on Ramsay being eaten alive by Ghost since the beginning of this season.

Oh Sansa. It's always one step forward and two steps back with you.

Spoiler

DMT and truede disagree on whether Ramsay dies. DMT says yes, truede says no. Both of them have provided spoilers that appear to be correct on pretty much everything else, so we'll see.

To be fair to Sansa, pretty much everyone she's ever trusted for the first five seasons has either betrayed her outright or fucked her over in some way. It's not surprising that after the initial euphoria of being reunited with Jon wore off, she would start to have doubts about him.

• Love 1
(edited)
Spoiler

If the spoiler that Sansa agrees that Jon should be King in the North later in the season is true (and boy, does that development make way less sense without Robb's will; you can see the outlines of how the book storyline will be different here), what's the point of her seeming to keep a secret from him?

Also, from these spoilers I think we can probably kill the theory that the book storyline contains some sort of equivalent to Sansa being raped by Ramsay and thus being turned against Littlefinger.  This is clearly setting things up for him to worm his way back into her good graces, so that the show can do whatever the book resolution of their plot is.

Summer dies too?  Yikes.  The writers really don't like paying for direwolf effects.

Edited by SeanC
Spoiler

Can someone who saw the episode tell me if the image that we see in the promo of Littefinger in the snow is in this episode? 

Please? 

(edited)
8 hours ago, Eyes High said:
Spoiler

Not only do Bloodraven and Hodor perish in the WW attack, but also Summer!

Spoiler

Wait.  How can Hodor die in the attack if he is needed to carry Bran away?  Surely Meera can't carry Bran.  Bringing in Benjen at this point kinda, I dunno, deus ex machina.  I hope there is some explanation as to where the heck he's been all these years.

7 hours ago, Eyes High said:
Spoiler

Dany is sending Jorah to find a cure (not sure if she's just giving him a dignified out or if she genuinely means it)

Spoiler

It would be lovely to find out that with the return of dragons and magic there is some cure.  I don't want Jorah to turn to stone!

The reveal that Bran was responsible for Hodor's hodoring is heart breaking.

Eh, execution is too easy for Ramsey.  Make him suffer.  Preferably one appendage at at time.

Edited by Haleth
(edited)
Spoiler

How can Hodor die in the attack if he is needed to carry Bran away?  Surely Meera can't carry Bran

Spoiler

Meera (and Hodor) have Bran on a sled they're pulling him on as they flee. Once Hodor finally gets the door open and they get through it, Meera starts dragging the sled carrying Bran away while screaming "Hold the door" behind her to Hodor, which he does (while Bran, and Wyllis (sp?) hear her screaming it, which causes Wyllis to collapse while moaning "Hold the door" which eventually morphs into Hodor, as Bran watches in horror. That's how the episode ends, Meera dragging the sled away, Hodor struggling to hold the door shut. We don't actually see him die, though it seems clear he won't be able to hold the door much longer and that's what will ultimately happen.

Spoiler

Dany is sending Jorah to find a cure (not sure if she's just giving him a dignified out or if she genuinely means it)

Spoiler

She genuinely meant it, and it was a very emotional moment. He was getting ready to leave because he couldn't be around her any longer. As he's turning away, she stops him, tells him she is his queen and she hasn't dismissed him, then orders him to find a cure and come back to her, while on the verge of tears.

Spoiler

All that, plus a completely gratuitous penis close-up shot from a minor guest star (the actor playing Joffrey in the play-within-the-play. Which...nice try TPTB, but the completely gratuitous boob shots before and after kind of cancel it out.

Edited by TheOtherOne
8 minutes ago, Edith said:
  Hide contents

Can someone who saw the episode tell me if the image that we see in the promo of Littefinger in the snow is in this episode? 

Please? 

I wasn't looking very closely, but I don't think so.

9 minutes ago, Haleth said:
  Hide contents

Wait.  How can Hodor die in the attack if he is needed to carry Bran away?  Surely Meera can't carry Bran.  Bringing in Benjen at this point kinda, I dunno, deus ex machina.  I hope there is some explanation as to where the heck he's been all these years.

Hide contents

It would be lovely to find out that with the return of dragons and magic there is some cure.  I don't want Jorah to turn to stone!

The reveal that Bran was responsible for Hodor's hodoring is heart breaking.

Eh, execution is too easy for Ramsey.  Make him suffer.  Preferably one appendage at at time.

Spoiler

Meera manages to get Bran into a sort of wicker stretcher and she pulls him out of the cave over the snow, as if she were pulling a sled.  I'm guessing the adrenaline from the fight is giving her the strength, but I suppose she can't last very long and that's where Benjen would come into the picture.

Hodor dies holding the door closed ("hold the door" = Hodor) so that the wights can't go chasing after Meera.  He basically buys her time to run away pulling Bran behind her.  We don't actually see him die, but we do see the door starting to break and the wights getting at Hodor through the cracks.

I'm glad we get to see Benjen again, and hope it's something that will also happen in the books.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Eyes High said:
  Hide contents

DMT and truede disagree on whether Ramsay dies. DMT says yes, truede says no. Both of them have provided spoilers that appear to be correct on pretty much everything else, so we'll see.

To be fair to Sansa, pretty much everyone she's ever trusted for the first five seasons has either betrayed her outright or fucked her over in some way. It's not surprising that after the initial euphoria of being reunited with Jon wore off, she would start to have doubts about him.

Spoiler

I can agree with that, but the fact that she's ultimately still in Littlefinger pocket is infuriating. Pod needs to drop some knowledge on her. I imagine he knows details about Littlefinger betraying her family. He'sone villain we haven't seen suffer a big setback and it's overdue.

Good for Brienne calling out the lie. I hope she learns to trust Davis on their trip to reclaim the North. 

Edited by Bean421
To add comments
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, WearyTraveler said:

I wasn't looking very closely, but I don't think so.

Reveal hidden contents

Meera manages to get Bran into a sort of wicker stretcher and she pulls him out of the cave over the snow, as if she were pulling a sled.  I'm guessing the adrenaline from the fight is giving her the strength, but I suppose she can't last very long and that's where Benjen would come into the picture.

Hodor dies holding the door closed ("hold the door" = Hodor) so that the wights can't go chasing after Meera.  He basically buys her time to run away pulling Bran behind her.  We don't actually see him die, but we do see the door starting to break and the wights getting at Hodor through the cracks.

I'm glad we get to see Benjen again, and hope it's something that will also happen in the books.

Thank you!!! 

4 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:
Spoiler

Spoiler

If this is how it transpires in the book I wonder if it will be Coldhands instead of Benjen.

26 minutes ago, Bean421 said:
  Hide contents

I imagine he knows details about Littlefinger betraying her family.

Spoiler

Why would he know about that?  He wasn't around when that happened.

Regarding the Northern plotline, since according to DMT the Starks know the Arryns are coming to Snowbowl, I would assume the arc is something like this:

605:  Sansa rejects Littlefinger's help, doesn't tell Jon about it.

607:  The Starks rally the Northern lords and Jon is declared king, but they find that this is way fewer men than they need (e.g., the Mormonts apparently having only 60 men?), so Sansa reveals that they can get the Arryn army too (how much detail she goes into as to why she knows this is up in the air), and seeks out Baelish (which would explain why she and Littlefinger arrive at Snowbowl together).

608(?):  Possibly we see Sansa go to Littlefinger here, but they may also keep that offscreen to try to drum up suspense.

609:  Battle.

7 minutes ago, SeanC said:
  Hide contents

Why would he know about that?  He wasn't around when that happened.

Regarding the Northern plotline, since according to DMT the Starks know the Arryns are coming to Snowbowl, I would assume the arc is something like this:

605:  Sansa rejects Littlefinger's help, doesn't tell Jon about it.

607:  The Starks rally the Northern lords and Jon is declared king, but they find that this is way fewer men than they need (e.g., the Mormonts apparently having only 60 men?), so Sansa reveals that they can get the Arryn army too (how much detail she goes into as to why she knows this is up in the air), and seeks out Baelish (which would explain why she and Littlefinger arrive at Snowbowl together).

608(?):  Possibly we see Sansa go to Littlefinger here, but they may also keep that offscreen to try to drum up suspense.

609:  Battle.

Spoiler

No he wasn't around but Tyrion may have mentioned things to him. Pod told Brienne he didn't think Sansa was safe with him in season 5, so I assumed there was a reason for his apprehension.

2 minutes ago, Bean421 said:
  Hide contents

No he wasn't around but Tyrion may have mentioned things to him. Pod told Brienne he didn't think Sansa was safe with him in season 5, so I assumed there was a reason for his apprehension.

Spoiler

Because Littlefinger is a shifty guy and just tried to have his knights kill them.  I don't think that hinted at any deeper knowledge, otherwise he'd have brought it up.

Just watched the ending, man that was sad.  

Also, I'm not sure how long it will last, but they are definitely putting setting up Sansa to think that she should have Winterfell because Jon doesn't have the Stark name.  I like Sansa, but that is frustrating to think about.  Seems like it's setting up some argument on how Sansa doesn't consider him a true brother.  

• Love 2

Does Jon even want Winterfell? He'll defend it because of family, etc. If Sansa told him she wanted to rule I think he'd be fine with it. Hopefully she won't revert to her previous , admittedly awful, treatment of Jon. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, amandawoods said:

Just watched the ending, man that was sad.  

Also, I'm not sure how long it will last, but they are definitely putting setting up Sansa to think that she should have Winterfell because Jon doesn't have the Stark name.  I like Sansa, but that is frustrating to think about.  Seems like it's setting up some argument on how Sansa doesn't consider him a true brother.  

What made you think that?

I thought that Sansa telling Brienne

Spoiler

"He's my brother, he'll take care of me" was her pretty much acknowledging she sees him as a true brother

I don't think Jon wants Winterfell.  At one point during the discussion of troops in Castle Black  Jon says

Spoiler

that in order to defend the Wall from the WW they need Winterfell and the North because CB can't defend the Wall if they are being attacked from the North by the WW and the South by the Boltons and their allies.

I think Jon's head is still firmly in the "we have to prevent these fucking Ice creeps from getting to Westeros" camp.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, amandawoods said:

Well she made quick to mention that he doesn't have the Stark name, but she does.

But that was in the context of discussing the strategy to get the Northern Lords behind their cause, not because she was saying he was less than her.  She was recognizing that some Northern Lords might not rally behind Ned's bastard, but they would rally behind Ned's daughter.  It's an acknowledgement of the society they live in, not a pronouncement of judgement on her part.

Even Roose recognized that when he had the IT legitimize Ramsay as a Bolton.

Edited by WearyTraveler
clarity
  • Love 6
(edited)

I'm hoping that's true.  I'm probably just worried as a Sansa fan.  Just from the reaction of Jon (he looked somewhat hurt) after she said that, it seems like it's leading up to something.  

Jon looked touched about the cloak.  It was cute.  Ugh, so not looking forward to him finding out he's not Ned's son.

Edited by amandawoods
  • Love 1

Alright lets clean up these  damn spoilers

Spoiler

1. It's Meera not Bran who accidentally creates Hodor

2. Jorah sends himself away, Dany orders him to find a cure and hurry back. Which is significant because that means that Jorah's definitely not going to die anytime soon.

As for Sansa I'm actually surprised that people are angry at her for not revealing  littlefinger information and not for the fact that she thinks that everybody's going to just want to align with the North because of her father.  I loved her saying Umbers could go fuck themselves, but then she ruined it by insisting that the Karstarks would align with them.

They're definitely setting up a rivalry between the Jon and Sansa.

A few questions for those who watched 6x05:

Do we get to see Sansa give Jon his new Ned-like cloak? And when they leave CB, is she already wearing her new direwolf embroidered outfit? Any Tormund this episode? Is it just Jon, Sansa, Davos, and Mel riding out on the recruiting mission? 

Does Bran say the line from the first teaser, "They have no idea what's going to happen"? How graphic are Summer's and Hodor's deaths? I need to prepare myself. :-(

(edited)
37 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

A few questions for those who watched 6x05:

Hide contents

Do we get to see Sansa give Jon his new Ned-like cloak? And when they leave CB, is she already wearing her new direwolf embroidered outfit? Any Tormund this episode? Is it just Jon, Sansa, Davos, and Mel riding out on the recruiting mission? 

Does Bran say the line from the first teaser, "They have no idea what's going to happen"? How graphic are Summer's and Hodor's deaths? I need to prepare myself. :-(

Spoiler

yes to your first three questions. Tormen even makes more googly eyes at Brienne. I believe Tormen goes with them too.

I don't remember him saying it.  Summers death is fairly graphic, but not bloody. She gets surrounded and stabbed up and you hear her whines. Hodor dies off screen.

Edited by Oscirus
(edited)

Oscirus,

Spoiler

Summer is a boy direwolf, not a girl.  Or was, anyway... :'(

Also, I'll do a rewatch, but I didn't see any indication that they are setting up a rivalry between Jon and Sansa.  If anything:

Spoiler

The scene where she gives him the coat is bound to make the shippers happy.  As much as it pains me because I hate, hate, hate that theory/ship with the power of a thousand suns (it squicks me out as much as Jaimie-Cersei, TBH), I think the show is actually trying to set THAT up.

In that scene she tells him she made the cloak as similar as "father's" as she could remember, and he praises the direwolf embroidered in her own dress.  It's clear from this scene, which happens right before they ride out, that they are completely aligned on the strategy: Jon will look like Ned as much as they can make him look like Ned, and she will display her support by standing beside him, displaying their house's sigil on her dress.  Ned and his "daughter" asking the Northeners for  help.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 4
Spoiler

In positive news for Sansa, she's now got much more company in the "Starks without direwolves" club.  Rickon was already a member, but he's totally going to die this season, so that didn't really say much as to whether Ladying dying necessarily doomed Sansa.  Bran being wolf-less is a big development, if it mirrors the books, since many (myself included) assume Bran is going to be our last POV chapter.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Littlefinger will try to set up a rivalry, but I'm hoping that Littlefinger won't last that much longer past this season.  After watching that episode, Sansa reminded me of Cat a lot.

And reading the spoilers from earlier, why would Benjen leave again? Why???  Also, I'm hoping that Ramsey lives is some kind of false information being spread because the show is foreshadowing him being eaten a lot. 

Edited by amandawoods
32 minutes ago, amandawoods said:

I think Littlefinger will try to set up a rivalry, but I'm hoping that Littlefinger won't last that much longer past this season.  

And reading the spoilers from earlier, why would Benjen leave again? Why???  

I think he might try, but I'm strongly hoping it will end up being his undoing. He tries to play Sansa and in the end she plays him by getting the Vale army to fight for the Starks and then letting the truth that Littlefinger murdered his mother slip to Robin; allowing Royce to bookend Littlefinger's arc this season as he comes in and executes Littlefinger on the fickle orders of a halfwit boy.

As to the second, Perhaps because the walking dead can't pass through the Wall... and Benjen IS Coldhands?

1 hour ago, WearyTraveler said:

But that was in the context of discussing the strategy to get the Northern Lords behind their cause, not because she was saying he was less than her.  She was recognizing that some Northern Lords might not rally behind Ned's bastard, but they would rally behind Ned's daughter.  It's an acknowledgement of the society they live in, not a pronouncement of judgement on her part.

Even Roose recognized that when he had the IT legitimize Ramsay as a Bolton.

This serve to highlight one of my key arguments for Jon/Sansa.

Neither is the ideal candidate for the Northern Lords on their own (bastard or daughter), but as a union (once his parentage is revealed) they're everything they'd need. A male with Stark blood (albeit via Lyanna) and military experience to serve as Warden, whose wife can provide trueborn grandchildren of Ned Stark as the future heirs to Winterfell.

I think the show is playing up the potential romantic side of things where they'd WANT to be married because that's more appealing to general audiences, while the books could get away with a far more pragmatic political marriage that is simply the least of a bunch of very bad options.

Also based on some of the other spoilers that have been other tags I'm going to make a prediction. It probably won't happen this season but...

Spoiler

Bran being marked by the Night King is likely going to lead to Bran eventually becoming the NEW Night King in order to stop the Walkers from killing everyone.

Bran will then be the opposite number of Dany (who is the champion of Fire) and I see the prospect of some sort of mystical union of opposites or sacred marriage that likely causes both to transcend the mortal world being the event that actually that ends the final conflict of the series.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

After seeing this leaked episode, I feel like I need a hug and a cookie.  And maybe a stiff drink or four.

Single malt on the rocks for me, please.  And keep'em coming!

(edited)
2 hours ago, Oscirus said:

Alright lets clean up these  damn spoilers

Hide contents

1. It's Meera not Bran who accidentally creates Hodor

2. Jorah sends himself away, Dany orders him to find a cure and hurry back. Which is significant because that means that Jorah's definitely not going to die anytime soon.

As for Sansa I'm actually surprised that people are angry at her for not revealing  littlefinger information and not for the fact that she thinks that everybody's going to just want to align with the North because of her father.  I loved her saying Umbers could go fuck themselves, but then she ruined it by insisting that the Karstarks would align with them.

They're definitely setting up a rivalry between the Jon and Sansa.

Spoiler

Agreed. I don't see any other way you can read 6x05. Littlefinger has already started undermining Sansa's trust in Jon by reminding her that he's only her half-brother (and, he seemed to be hinting, a bastard and therefore untrustworthy), and it seems to be working: Sansa lied to him about meeting with Littlefinger, and Jon seemed suspicious about where Sansa had acquired the information about Riverrun.

This serve to highlight one of my key arguments for Jon/Sansa.

This episode seemed to be pointing away from Jon/Sansa and setting up a rivalry between them, in my opinion. We got the goopy, shmoopy reunion in 6x04 because it's all downhill from here. Jon doesn't need to want to usurp Sansa's claim to Winterfell (and I doubt that he does); Sansa just needs to believe him capable of it. Littlefinger probably knows that Jon is the biggest threat to his control over Sansa; Littlefinger knows that if Sansa has someone else she can rely on for protection, she won't need him anymore. If he manages to find his way back into Sansa's life, I fully expect he will do his utmost to convince Sansa that Jon is untrustworthy or even a threat to her. Whether it works is another matter, but 6x05 did not encourage me.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
(edited)

So, are BloodRaven and Bran the same person?  BloodRaven says,

Spoiler

"Now it's time for you to become me" to Bran in the past as he is killed in the present.

Closed time loop?

The Hodor Warging is quite confusing.  Can't wait to read the discussions tonight for analysis.

Edited by CofCinci
(edited)

I've been sitting here since this episode ended struggling to wrap my head around what I just saw and wanting to be comforted over a character I never realized I cared that much about.  WTH, Game of Thrones?

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 1
(edited)

We get another reminder in this episode that

Spoiler

kinslaying ain't no thang in the world of GOT. Euron cheerfully admits to murdering his brother and the Ironborn are heartily in favour when Euron states his intention to murder his niece and nephew.

White Walkers:

Spoiler

truede said that 6x05 is the last we see of the WW for the season. However, IHW has talked about Bran having visions of the "future" this season, and he hasn't had any yet. I'm curious whether we do get any visions of the future.

I think we can write off as a foiler the claim that the WW bust in on a future wedding that popped up a while ago, as much fun as it was to speculate about. Still, we've had no visions of the future to date, and IHW suggested that we would.

Arya:

Spoiler

That death glare she gave when "Tyrion" was stripping "Sansa" was something else. Tyrion had better watch his back if they ever meet.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Hide contents

truede said that 6x05 is the last we see of the WW for the season. However, IHW has talked about Bran having visions of the "future" this season, and he hasn't had any yet. I'm curious whether we do get any visions of the future.

I think we can write off as a foiler the claim that the WW bust in on a future wedding that popped up a while ago, as much fun as it was to speculate about. Still, we've had no visions of the future to date, and IHW suggested that we would.

Spoiler

Weren't there reports that they had filmed something that looked like the Wall falling?  That would make sense as a vision of the future, though obviously the White Walkers would be in that vision.

Just watched.....

Spoiler

WHY KILL SUMMER, SHOW? The Shaggy Dog death had better be a fakeout. Just pointless. I don't know how they expect Meera to haul a full grown Bran back to south of the Wall, but jeez. Hodor could. And Summer could, like a husky. 

3 hours ago, amandawoods said:

I'm hoping that's true.  I'm probably just worried as a Sansa fan.  Just from the reaction of Jon (he looked somewhat hurt) after she said that, it seems like it's leading up to something.  

Jon looked touched about the cloak.  It was cute.  Ugh, so not looking forward to him finding out he's not Ned's son.

I'm new to this board. Is spoiler just speculation or has there been actual spoilers on this?

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Jessie2009 said:

I'm new to this board. Is spoiler just speculation or has there been actual spoilers on this?

Actual spoilers on what part of the text you quoted exactly?

Edited by WearyTraveler
Just now, Jessie2009 said:
  Hide contents

On Jon not being Ned Starks son but Lyannas

There have been spoilers about the TOJ:

Spoiler

Lyanna whispering something to Ned and a baby crying afterward.

The short answer would be that it's speculation based on known spoilers, but at this point in the game, knowing what we know, I don't see how it could be anything other than Jon is Lyanna and Rhaegar's son.

23 minutes ago, SeanC said:
  Hide contents

Weren't there reports that they had filmed something that looked like the Wall falling?  That would make sense as a vision of the future, though obviously the White Walkers would be in that vision.

Spoiler

I do remember those reports, although I don't know how you can bring down the Wall without showing WW.

The other thing is that there was Bran's line from the teasers: "They have no idea what's going to happen." As of 6x05, he's had no visions of the future, and he hasn't spoken this line yet. He won't be speaking it to Bloodraven inside a vision re: the TOJ, what with him being dead and all. It seems to me to refer to Bran having a vision of the future.

Just now, Eyes High said:

Hide contents

I do remember those reports, although I don't know how you can bring down the Wall without showing WW.

The other thing is that there was Bran's line from the teasers: "They have no idea what's going to happen." As of 6x05, he's had no visions of the future, and he hasn't spoken this line yet. He won't be speaking it to Bloodraven inside a vision re: the TOJ, what with him being dead and all. It seems to me to refer to Bran having a vision of the future.

Spoiler

Someone could blow the horn of Joramund.  It doesn't need to be a WW.

Mod Note:

Those who have watched the leaked episode; please stop discussing it in the forum until the episode has officially aired, then use the appropriate topic to do so.

No more mod notes will be issued on this but warnings will.

Thank you.

• Love 1

So, I guess we can talk again.

Did anyone compile the list from the source who spoiled the Children of the Forest creating the White Walkers or other things we saw in this episode.  Obviously, that guy was legit, so I'd love to read a comprehensive list of all he spoiled.  For example was that person the one that told us

Spoiler

there is a MacGuffin the White Walkers want somewhere in King's Landing?

What else?