Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

This is a PSI: Don't hide in the freakin closet if an  intruder breaks in because they always look into the closets. Hide under the bed, and if you have to much crap under there......    CLEAN IT OUT!!!!!! 

I also couldn't believe that the 911 operator didn't dispatch the emts with the police, he/she clearly the gunshots.  Maybe it was just for dramatic purposes.

I cannot quote for  SHITE, but I do ID AND The Walking Dead.

Wow y'all on last night's season finale of Reasonable Doubt - I cannot believe that the prosecution came up with the theory that this welfare recipient 23 y/o father of four chartered a freaking private plane to fly him back and forth to murder the boyfriend of one of his exes.  No wonder people don't trust the system for goodness sake.  I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when that doozy came up at some prosecutor brain storming session (or completely disgusted by??).  I've seen a lot of scary prosecution theories in my years of watching Dateline or 48 hours, but that one took the cake (I can't remember which on it was, but I remember one episode in which Keith Morrison basically told the prosecutor that her theory was the stupidest thing he heard in his life.  And it basically was). 

However, their "counseling" to the "sister" on being a strong woman or whatever was a bit on the uncomfortable side to watch, but at least they were trying to be realistic with her about Freddie's intentions.  Ok, yeah, dude is arrogant and made up his own religion (if I were in prison for 30 years with nothing to do, I might do some cray-cray stuff too), but I think she knows that he isn't going to go flying into her loving arms upon release in any romantic way.  It's just that she wanted to right a wrong IMO.

• Love 12
(edited)

Yeah, that was a pretty bizarre prosecution.  But, how much do you want to bet that when it's brought to the prosecutor's attention, he'll say that they have faith in the jury and that the conviction should stand!  lol  It cracks me up how some of them just REFUSE to admit there was a mistake or even BAD FAITH.  How do they sleep at night?  

The lady host who was warning the long time friend who said he was like a brother to her, couldn't have been more repulsed by this guy.  I think everyone got the point.  

OT, but, about True Crime in general.  I really wish that if businesses are going to get a video surveillance system, that they would pay an extra $40.00 bucks and get one that enables you to actually see faces and licence plates.  Many of the videos they get are so grainy, that they are almost worthless.  Better than nothing, but, a decent picture would be a lot more helpful.  I mean, what's the point of the thing if you can't identify the person who is stealing, damaging property or hurting people? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8
On 6/29/2017 at 0:24 PM, TheGreenWave said:

Wow y'all on last night's season finale of Reasonable Doubt - I cannot believe that the prosecution came up with the theory that this welfare recipient 23 y/o father of four chartered a freaking private plane to fly him back and forth to murder the boyfriend of one of his exes.  No wonder people don't trust the system for goodness sake.  I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when that doozy came up at some prosecutor brain storming session (or completely disgusted by??).  I've seen a lot of scary prosecution theories in my years of watching Dateline or 48 hours, but that one took the cake (I can't remember which on it was, but I remember one episode in which Keith Morrison basically told the prosecutor that her theory was the stupidest thing he heard in his life.  And it basically was). 

This one really interested me for several reasons:  One being because it took place not too far from where I live, but more importantly I know people from the area who share same last name as the victim.  However, I don’t know them well enough that I would be comfortable asking questions about this, but the last name wasn’t really all that common, and it’s not a big city.  The other reason is that I agree with the hosts.  This guy was a grade A conman, but it seems highly unlikely he committed the murder.  To me it seems obvious law enforcement wanted to close the case and they selected a fall guy

• Love 3

I had a question about what the gun expert said.  He said that he thought the victim was shot right where he laid.  The fiend of the defendant thought that the body was moved there.  First of all, didn't anyone hear the gunshot? If not, why?   And, later the expert said that the victim likely died within a couple of minutes of being shot.  He also said that dead bodies don't bleed.  So, wouldn't he have bled a lot with a huge hole in his torso during that 2  minutes?  I know he said he bled internally, but, what prevented him from bleeding out of the hole in his torso?  I've looked at quite a few crime scene photos, but, I've never noticed if there is usually a lot of blood on the floor/ground near the body.

Does anyone here have any idea WHO the American Monster episode is about next week?  Something about a blended family and it is one of their own.  I can't glean a single shred of info when I see the commercial.  Anyone?

• Love 1

I googled it and got

Episodes

2. Family Snapshot

Family Snapshot

TV episode

The Yates family moves to Spokane, Wash., only to find it besieged by a serial killer who's targeting young women and confounding the police; now, the family's home videos provide a look at one of the most notorious killers in the United States.

Show: American Monster

Season number: 2

Episode number: 2

Air date: July 16, 2017

Season 2 · Jul 16, 2017

1. The Green Monster

In Ohio, Jack and Linda Myers are shot to death in their sleep, and the only eye witness is their sleepy 4-year-old grandson; now, family members speak about what happened that night and share home movies revealing a monster living in their midst.

Season 2 · Jul 9, 2017

• Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Does anyone here have any idea WHO the American Monster episode is about next week?  Something about a blended family and it is one of their own.  I can't glean a single shred of info when I see the commercial.  Anyone?

Spoiler

If's about a 23 year old young man who is charged with killing his father and step mother....I found an article that he was not treated well by his dad growing up.   Not that he was justified in killing people, but, if he was abused, I question labeling him a monster.  I suppose the show will reveal more details. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I like Reasonable Doubt too.  One of my favorites. 

I think the upcoming episode of American Monster

Spoiler

is set in Ohio.  The preview seems to paint the son as a real piece of work.  I hope it's a fair portrayal.  I mean, murder is wrong, but, if the boy grew up being abused, I hope they don't leave that out. To me, it's a factor to be considered. 

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I like Reasonable Doubt too.  One of my favorites. 

Not Reasonable Doubt, where they look into the guilt or innocence of a convicted.  This is Beyond Reasonable Doubt, and the one I've watched was a Los Angeles cold case murder.

And the Florida case was where the son had been sent to one of those tough-love (read hard-time) juvenile facilities, somewhere out of the country.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 2
(edited)
20 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Not Reasonable Doubt, where they look into the guilt or innocence of a convicted.  This is Beyond Reasonable Doubt, and the one I've watched was a Los Angeles cold case murder.

And the Florida case was where the son had been sent to one of those tough-love (read hard-time) juvenile facilities, somewhere out of the country.

Oh, I don't think that I have seen that one.  Hmmm......I watch this network a lot.  I'll have to look it up.  If you have a link, post it.  I couldn't find anything called Beyond Reasonable Doubt.  What network is it on?

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Beyond Reasonable Doubt is on HLN, the one the runs Forensic Files most of the time.

The Murdered Bride (updated airdate: June 25) In 1986, the LAPD arrive at a murder scene. They’re certain it’s an open and shut case, but the case quickly goes cold. It takes 20 years, and the advent of DNA testing to provide a stunning new lead: the original investigation had searched for a male killer… but DNA reveals it wasn’t a man, it was a woman.

Above is the one I just watched, and I'm sure it will show up again.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, auntjess said:

Beyond Reasonable Doubt is on HLN, the one the runs Forensic Files most of the time.

Above is the one I just watched, and I'm sure it will show up again.

I didn't see it but it sounds like the case of Sherry Rasmussen. Was she shot by her new husband's ex girlfriend that turns out to be a cop?

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Love 2

That story about the couple in Ohio has been done on a few shows.  

Spoiler

Pretty sure the son did it because he wanted the farm.  The poor little boy found his great-grandparents and had to go get help.   I think the abuse testimony, even if true, was given to save the son from the death penalty.

• Love 2

Last night there was one about the woman who was suspected of killing her husband (officially thought to be a heart attack) and then she hired someone to kill a family friend and her new husband....OMG.  Why in the world would she not realize that if a family friend who has reported your illegal rental income business is murdered, they are going to look straight at you. AND that if her husband is murdered around the same time, that she'll be under more suspicion due to large life insurance pay out, since she got a million with her last husband.  So bizarre.  I suppose it was a blessing that she was a dumb criminal, since she was talking to someone working for the police and they got her on video.  Such a crazy scheme.  I do wonder what she gave her husband to give him a heart attack. 

• Love 5

I was watching Murder Calls. It was the one about the guy who had a disabled daughter and his brother had also been killed a few years earlier. His girlfriend had it done; I know ultimately, all of these are pointless but this one was just so completely pointless. She got no money from it; I guess she was mad because she thought he was cheating on her; of course she was cheating on him. I mean, really honey, you are going to do that to his daughter and his poor mother, who has now lost both her sons! Just leave the guy!!

• Love 8

Saw another show on the Texas guy who shot the the prosecutor and others who convicted him of stealing some computer monitors.
No, he can't get away with the killings, but he was an elected JP who'd as I recall from other shows, had gone through channels and requested the equipment, to which he seemed to be entitled.
He was caught on camera, taking them, when the county wouldn't provide them.  Then, the county legal establishment persecuted him.
I can see why he was pissed, and the ones killed, while not deserving to die, did play a part in setting the stage for their own deaths.
A Suspicion show was on another perennial, Col. RussWilliams. A neighbor talks of remaining friends with his wife, Shirley, and says she was an innocent victim too.
Here's what I can't buy.  The guy has a garage full of boxes and file cabinets of trophies--and she never wondred what was in them, and looked?
You husband is one of the top honchos in the Canadian AF. He flies the Queen. This is not some guy who'd bring home outdated papers from work and put them in the garage.
I say she must have peeked.

• Love 2
(edited)

Regarding the former magistrate in Texas who murdered the two district attorneys and the wife of one....I didn't see that they set that up on themselves.  This guy was prosecuted with a crime that was clearly evident.  I think this guy was just a criminal at heart and refused to accept responsibility.  I can't recall the details, but, didn't he use the items for his own personal purposes?  I don't know of any county/city government agency that lets you take office equipment home, unless, it's some kind of law enforcement job where you are issued surveillance or safety equipment, like the police.  I didn't find anything redeeming about him or his wife. They both seemed to be hardcore killers who actually enjoyed killing those people.  Here's a link about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaufman_County_murders

Ref. the Canadian Col. wife.  I think that she had to be complicit or in denial.  No way she should not have known or strongly suspected something.  Not enough to charge her though.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
On 7/6/2017 at 7:43 AM, Josette said:

That story about the couple in Ohio has been done on a few shows.  

Hide contents

Pretty sure the son did it because he wanted the farm.  The poor little boy found his great-grandparents and had to go get help.   I think the abuse testimony, even if true, was given to save the son from the death penalty.

I saw that case on Forensic Files.  What a brave, smart little boy.

• Love 4
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:35 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Ref. the Canadian Col. wife.  I think that she had to be complicit or in denial.  No way she should not have known or strongly suspected something.  Not enough to charge her though.  

No, but I hate the idea that she gets his pension.

• Love 1

Green Monster in Forensic Files is In the Bag, season 12, episode 27.  It's even on youtube, as a lot of them seem to be.   As Medical Detectives, but Forensic Files in parens.
I thought American Monster was like those others killer in the family ones, with a  serial murderer, or in one case arsonist, but this  guy Greg, as bad as he was, was just a killer who did it for greed, and not to deny the awfulness of the double murder, but I don't see him as fitting a profile for a show like this.

The latest Beyond Reasonable Doubt was another good one, this was Las Vegas case, cold because they did have enough evidence.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:23 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

I watched one episode of Murder calls and will not watch another.  Way too upsetting and disturbing to hear someone's last words spoken in terror.  Shame on ID, they have reached anew low.

Gave this one another shot last night.  It was the episode on Angie Zapata and it was more like a 911 call than a murder call (the sisters discovered her body and the neighbor talked with the dispatcher).  It was the first time (at least, that is how I understood it) that a hate crime was prosecuted for a transgender woman in Colorado.  So sad - a trusting person who absolutely trusted the wrong guy.  Thankfully, the murderer still had Angie's sister's car and was found in it (blasting music??).  Otherwise, I honestly don't know if they would have ever caught the guy.

• Love 3

OWN is showing the 20/20 episode about Rebecca Babcock(the baby Diane Downs was carrying during her murder trial).  I'm surprised her adoptive parents were told who her birth mother was, given that closed adoption was the norm back then.

I am thinking of trying another streaming service just so I can get ID Discovery again. I tried Sling, but that channel was above the level I selected or wanted. If I could choose the cable channels I want, ID, Discovery, Animal Planet and TCM would probably be about the only ones I would want. I miss watching this channel, I have antenna tv and get Escape, it's one of the super cheap antenna channels, true crime, but all the shows are 15-20 years old and I saw most of them on ID. I disliked Snapped, it wasn't on ID, forgot which channel it was on, the narrator got on my nerves, but they replaced it with the even worse Murderous Affairs and the not so bad Deep Undercover. Their narrators are reading their scripts but try to make it sound like they are not, putting inflections in their voices, trying to put enthusiasm. But the scripts are terrible and call for the narrator to attribute feelings and just what those feelings are to the murderers. I thought the flat affect of the narrator in Snapped was annoying but Dr. Judy Ho (and the others that I can never seem to catch their names and doing a quick search, can't find their names), are even more annoying. Dr. Judy also does some of the commentary on Deep Undercover, for some reason her name is just memorable to me. There's a male narrator with an English accent, he also gets on my nerves. And after doing that search, it seems that Murderous Affairs is only a couple years old, but I've seen most of the stories on other shows.

I like Forensic File, even sometimes put it on Netflix just for the background noise I need. I even saw a couple the other day that I hadn't seen.  I'm even starting to miss Joe Kenda. Haven't seen the other detective shows. But I wish Escape would update their shows. As much as I like American Greed and Unsolved Mysteries, I'm ready to watch something different. And besides, everytime they run one particular station promo, I start singing the Pina Coloda Song (Escape).

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I am thinking of trying another streaming service just so I can get ID Discovery again. I tried Sling, but that channel was above the level I selected or wanted. If I could choose the cable channels I want, ID, Discovery, Animal Planet and TCM would probably be about the only ones I would want.

I don't see Discovery or ID listed on Sling's site anymore. I looked at DirectTV Now and their lowest package has all the channels you mentioned included. They give away viewing devices too sometimes.

https://www.directvnow.com/thegoodstuff#the-full-lineup

The 2nd lowest offering from Playstation Vue has the channels you mentioned. (Can use other devices to watch besides a Playstation)

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

• Love 1
On 6/26/2017 at 11:01 AM, stillhere1900 said:

This is a PSI: Don't hide in the freakin closet if an  intruder breaks in because they always look into the closets. Hide under the bed, and if you have to much crap under there......    CLEAN IT OUT!!!!!! 

I also couldn't believe that the 911 operator didn't dispatch the emts with the police, he/she clearly the gunshots.  Maybe it was just for dramatic purposes.

Am I the only one who ponders where a safe room could be added to my house???  ??

• Love 4
On 7/6/2017 at 8:20 PM, auntjess said:

Saw another show on the Texas guy who shot the the prosecutor and others who convicted him of stealing some computer monitors.
No, he can't get away with the killings, but he was an elected JP who'd as I recall from other shows, had gone through channels and requested the equipment, to which he seemed to be entitled.
He was caught on camera, taking them, when the county wouldn't provide them.  Then, the county legal establishment persecuted him.
I can see why he was pissed, and the ones killed, while not deserving to die, did play a part in setting the stage for their own deaths.
A Suspicion show was on another perennial, Col. RussWilliams. A neighbor talks of remaining friends with his wife, Shirley, and says she was an innocent victim too.
Here's what I can't buy.  The guy has a garage full of boxes and file cabinets of trophies--and she never wondred what was in them, and looked?
You husband is one of the top honchos in the Canadian AF. He flies the Queen. This is not some guy who'd bring home outdated papers from work and put them in the garage.
I say she must have peeked.

Oh, what show was the POS Williams on?  I've been waiting for the Dateline 2 part rerun because my DH hasn't seen it.

It seems any Dateline rerun lately is a case that is shown over and over.  I'm getting bored again.

On a side note, I love the 2 psychiatrists on Fatal Vows, but the woman needs to lose those leather boots.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

Am I the only one who ponders where a safe room could be added to my house???  ??

A young guy on a remodel show wanted a safe room built in.
I'm more looking for which place to hide if a storm or hurricane spawns a tornado.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

A young guy on a remodel show wanted a safe room built in.
I'm more looking for which place to hide if a storm or hurricane spawns a tornado.

I bugged my hubby until he got us a shelter under the floor.  It is small, but if I absolutely HAVE TO, I'll get in it!  They are very expensive, but it is a weight off my shoulders to know it is there.

• Love 3

20/20 is just too tabloid-ish for me. (So is GMA - must be an ABC / Disney thing.)

Of the network shows, I like 48 hours and Dateline. No gore or porny shows like ID. ID has good shows, but I'm not interested in the total gore or the sex. Kenda puts me to sleep. I guess I like just the facts. Also like Disappeared.

• Love 2

Trivia quiz for all you true crime lovers -- I've been watching "Cash Cab" every night on the Game Show Network, and one of the questions posed to the riders last night is this (they didn't know the answers & needed a street shout-out): 

"Named for an American film icon, what serial murderer of the 1970s was also known as the Killer Clown?" 

Damn if I couldn't recall his name, but I could picture him.  

Alright everyone - be honest - did you know it? 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

Trivia quiz for all you true crime lovers -- I've been watching "Cash Cab" every night on the Game Show Network, and one of the questions posed to the riders last night is this (they didn't know the answers & needed a street shout-out): 

"Named for an American film icon, what serial murderer of the 1970s was also known as the Killer Clown?" 

Damn if I couldn't recall his name, but I could picture him.  

Alright everyone - be honest - did you know it? 

John Wayne Gacy?

• Love 3
Just now, slensam said:

John Wayne Gacy?

You got it!  All I could think was that I knew his name started with a "G".  Shame on me, but there's just so damn many serial killers it's hard to recall.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

You got it!  All I could think was that I knew his name started with a "G".  Shame on me, but there's just so damn many serial killers it's hard to recall.

Brian Dennehy movie from the 80's that I saw as a teenager. He was very scary effective in it. Probably the reason I remember it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Again, let me recommend Beyond Reasonable Doubt on HLN.
Some of the cases are familiar, most recent was the woman in the barrel, but well done.
Forensic Files had the same case recently, so I watched them both, and a few details were missing in one, but added in the other.

Where are all of our format, etc things?  I wanted to bold Beyond, but couldn't.

Edited by auntjess
now it works!
  • Love 2

I see the do-it-all coroner, Graham Hetrick is back.  I really wonder what the police and others think of this blowhard.  Next thing, he'll be cross-examening at the trial.
Because he sounds almost like home, (mid-Atlantic, though not quite Maryland), I really wanted to like him.  I was surprised he was back for another year.

• Love 3
(edited)

Paula Zahn needs a replacement, pronto. I get that the hosts aren't actually in the same room with the people they "interview."  But her fake interviews take the cake for phoniness.  She has only three facial expressions, all bad: faux empathy, faux shock and faux sadness.  Her blurred face looks like a wax figure.  She doesn't care about the devastatingly sad stories she reports on, and it shows.

Edited by JasminePhyllisia
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, auntjess said:

I see the do-it-all coroner, Graham Hetrick is back.  I really wonder what the police and others think of this blowhard.  Next thing, he'll be cross-examening at the trial.
Because he sounds almost like home, (mid-Atlantic, though not quite Maryland), I really wanted to like him.  I was surprised he was back for another year.

I actually think he has improved a great deal.  He is a very knowledgeable man, and he is not nearly as pompous now.  I kinda like him.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Maizie131 said:

Sad...just read that actor John Heard died yesterday @ 72 y.o.  No COD yet.  Loved him in The Sopranos and - of course - Home Alone.  RIP John.

I loved him in the Sopranos also, among lots of other roles.  RIP.

• Love 1
On 7/13/2017 at 7:44 PM, smittykins said:

OWN is showing the 20/20 episode about Rebecca Babcock(the baby Diane Downs was carrying during her murder trial).  I'm surprised her adoptive parents were told who her birth mother was, given that closed adoption was the norm back then.

Her parents didn't tell her! She tricked a babysitter into confirming because she suspected it. 

I know that.  I'm saying that whoever took custody of the baby after she was born and delivered her to the adoptive parents told them that Diane was the birth mom.  That wasn't done then, AFAIK.

• Love 1