Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Yeah, Web of Lies is a favorite for me too. It really proves the Internet can be a dangerous place if you're not careful. Watching some of these stories made me wonder what could be going through some of these people's minds although in the cases of the children who were profiled you want to tell them "it's not that important and you're better than that" especially with the story with the girl who committed suicide over the Facebook bullying.

• Love 3

I was intrigued by the new show Killing Fields, which follows 2 Louisiana cops working a cold case. The first episode had me hooked.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/killing-fields/about-killing-fields/

Killing Fields is on Discovery, not ID, so it's being discussed in the General True Crime Shows thread: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/26536-general-true-crime-shows/

The New York Times called it a cross between ID and the first season of HBO's True Detective, with a dash of The Jinx: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/arts/television/tv-review-killing-fields-discovery.html

• Love 3
editorgrrl, on 09 Jan 2016 - 07:14 AM, said:

Killing Fields is on Discovery, not ID, so it's being discussed in the General True Crime Shows thread: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/26536-general-true-crime-shows/

The New York Times called it a cross between ID and the first season of HBO's True Detective, with a dash of The Jinx: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/arts/television/tv-review-killing-fields-discovery.html

Thanks, editorgrrl.  I'm always getting my true crime shows and forums mixed up.  ;-)

• Love 2

Killing Fields actually has its own Forum.

In the Vanity Fair Confidential with the laser guy, I couldn't see why he only got manslaughter.  True, he didn't mean to do it, but she was killed when he was in the act of committing a felony, practicing medicine sans license, so why not murder?

Betty Williams was such a sad story.  She was born too soon.
Haven't finished watching to boat one yet.
I hope there's a new season of See No Evil, the one featuring security cam footage, because I really liked that show.

• Love 5

Instead it's one of those shaggy-dog "mystery/adventure" shows where they go digging for something every week and never find anything. Cannot stand those shows.

This is why I don't watch Disappeared.

Killing Fields now has its own Forum.

I thought that if he had pulled the boys (who he saw bobbing in the water) into his boat, the one boy would never have drowned. So, yeah, I think he needed a harsher sentence.

Regarding the Betty Williams death in A Crime to Remember (which was the season finale): I thought Betty might have had a mental illness or chemical imbalance. I didn't think her sexual activity was due to being a free spirit. I took it as a symptom of something serious.

Anyone watch this week's Your Worst Nightmare? It was a crazy story (former student stalks teacher for years unbeknownst to her, then kidnaps her and her daughter), but the episode left out some things that made it even stranger. The kidnapper also kidnapped some poor six-year-old boy whom he considered a witness and then murdered the child. Later, when he was on trial for that, the teacher testified against him and he leapt across the courtroom and ended up slashing her face while she was on the stand.

Your Worst Nightmare story was all kinds of crazy. Why did the defendant even possess a weapon during his trial? That poor lady. I have a lot of respect for her in the way she survived and how she protected her daughter.

I also thought it was interesting how the daughter was afraid to escape and the Mom had to practically drag her out of there. Stockholm syndrome or as it is now called, trauma bonding is a real thing.

Edited by FanOfTheFans
  • Love 1

I was disappointed that tonight's Murder Book was about the murder of John and Carolyn Tarwacki. That story has been done several times elsewhere. Murder Book usually does stories that are more unique. Well, also, I have a lot of trouble with the narrator's voice. Going to un-DVR that one. 

I am not making this up, and I it appears to be a crime show.
Tonight 1/13, 7PM ET on Discovery Life (466 on U-verse), there's a show call Sex, Lies, and Zumba.
The on-screen guide describes it as a zumba teacher posing as the leader of a prostitution ring, in a small town.
I'm picturing a brothel closing at night, and allowing zumba students in if they dress like whores or johns, and know the password.

• Love 2

I am not making this up, and I it appears to be a crime show. Tonight 1/13, 7PM ET on Discovery Life (466 on U-verse), there's a show call Sex, Lies, and Zumba.

The on-screen guide describes it as a zumba teacher posing as the leader of a prostitution ring, in a small town. I'm picturing a brothel closing at night, and allowing zumba students in if they dress like whores or johns, and know the password.

It's a 2013 TLC documentary about Alexis Wright from Kennebunkport, Maine: http://www.pressherald.com/2013/07/31/kennebunk-prostitution-scandal-to-be-featured-in-tlc-special/

• Love 3

Did anyone see Shadow of Doubt?  I really think the narrator is the same one from Disappeared.  I liked it just for that alone.  And it made me miss Disappeared so much.  I kept waiting for the little gong sound.  Anyway, I thought it was well done, not cheesy at all, but I know it's been covered on another series because I remembered the story.

It is the same one! I miss that show and he's one of the best narrators, for sure. Anyway, just finished watching last night's show, how sad that none of the people who knew he wanted his wife dead went to the cops. 

• Love 4

Was that Tahmoh Pennikett from BSG in tonight's Real Detective? . If it is, it's the first time I've ever recognized an actor on these recreations.

Yes it was him.

I've noticed several actors from other things in ID shows:

Richard Brake was the lead detective on The Chameleon

Ryan Gage was Ted Bundy in Angel of Decay

Devon Sawa was the detective in the Real Detective premier

Michael Madsen is the detective in next week's Real Detective

I also swear Frankie Faison was in a show that I can't remember the name of but a lady bought the house he had lived in and he was hanging around and freaking her out

Did anyone see Your Worst Nightmare? Where the wife gas lighted the husband? It was very evil. That woman got away with it for 5 years. She was awful.

Hmmm - I have this show DVR'd weekly (it's one of my favorites), but I don't recall ever seeing this one.  Do you have the title of the episode or any more info so I can search for it?  Thanks!

• Love 1

Maizie, it aired on Jan. 13th can't remember the name.  The woman hired a guy to kill him but the gun jammed and her husband went off the deep end with help from his wife.  She claimed he had tried to shoot her -as he carried a loaded pistol.  They fought with the gun and she shot him and got away with it.  It probably worked out better for her.  Then she stupidly hires her nephew to kill her brother-in-law and he goes to the police.

As they say in Justified most criminals are stupid.

• Love 3

Maizie, it aired on Jan. 13th can't remember the name.  The woman hired a guy to kill him but the gun jammed and her husband went off the deep end with help from his wife.  She claimed he had tried to shoot her -as he carried a loaded pistol.  They fought with the gun and she shot him and got away with it.  It probably worked out better for her.  Then she stupidly hires her nephew to kill her brother-in-law and he goes to the police.

As they say in Justified most criminals are stupid.

applecrisp - I did see this one, and to be honest, I was quite surprised when it turned out to be his wife...she seemed so normal (as some cold-blooded murderers do, as we know).  Wow, what a dumb psycho!  That was a good one. 

• Love 2

Here for Evil Lives Here. I felt for Candace. But at the same time, I really find it hard to stomach the "Oh, (person) wouldn't do anything!" mentality. He'd already tried to poison her at that point. And I can't even deal with her husband defending/rationalizing the poisoning with "It was just a prank."  Yeah, Candace, leave that guy. 

Edited by AltLivia
  • Love 6

Evil Lives Here was very well done   I'm going to be haunted by the episode for a long time.  Both Candace and Ron seemed so broken and alone, and still not able to come to terms with the boy Robbie could have been and the boy he turned out to be.  Just a sad story all the way around.

• Love 6

Last night's Vanity Fair Confidential was really good - although difficult to watch.  The hate crimes were horrific, but when we learned that one of those killers actually got married in the spot overlooking the murder site?  That was some sick fucking shit.

• Love 9

Last night's Vanity Fair Confidential was really good - although difficult to watch.  The hate crimes were horrific, but when we learned that one of those killers actually got married in the spot overlooking the murder site?  That was some sick fucking shit.

I ended up calling my girlfriend because this episode unsettled me so much. What was their reason for not pursuing the girl's death as a hate crime? That it would be hard to prove that hatred was a motive?

• Love 4

It really was.  Please someone tell me that things are not this way anymore for gay people in Texas?    Sometimes I think humanity hasn't come that far at all.  :-(

• Love 3
AltLivia, on 19 Jan 2016 - 6:05 PM, said:

I ended up calling my girlfriend because this episode unsettled me so much. What was their reason for not pursuing the girl's death as a hate crime? That it would be hard to prove that hatred was a motive?

The burden of proof is higher, and it would be more difficult to prove he targeted the 2 girls only because they were lesbians.

• Love 2

Here for Evil Lives Here. I felt for Candace. But at the same time, I really find it hard to stomach the "Oh, (person) wouldn't do anything!" mentality. He'd already tried to poison her at that point. And I can't even deal with her husband defending/rationalizing the poisoning with "It was just a prank."  Yeah, Candace, leave that guy.

I felt for her, too. Robbie scared me, and to think the behavior started when he was a small child. What do you do? And what did they do for/to him as a 4 year old in a mental health facility? All I can think of is something like what was depicted in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I"m glad Candace got out with her life.

• Love 2
BigBlueMastiff, on 20 Jan 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

I felt for her, too. Robbie scared me, and to think the behavior started when he was a small child. What do you do? And what did they do for/to him as a 4 year old in a mental health facility? All I can think of is something like what was depicted in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I"m glad Candace got out with her life.

Many year ago, I watched an investigative report about children like Robbie.  Their parents had tried everything, as had the medical/mental health community, but these kids had to be locked up in a special facility.  They were stone cold sociopathic killers and/or killers-to-be.  The scariest thing for the parents was the realization that once the children turned 18 or 21, they would be released and unleashed on an unsuspecting public.

Unfortunately, some people are born with a brain chemistry gone awry; they are true sociopaths and no amount of love, support, medicine or therapy can "fix" them.

• Love 8

I find it very realistic for the times.

Oh, I agree. Both of my parents smoked. One episode, there was so much smoke, you could barely see the characters. LOL

Smoke annoys you when it is on TELEVISION?

Why yes! : ))

It's so excessive, it distracts me.

• Love 1

Oh, I agree. Both of my parents smoked. One episode, there was so much smoke, you could barely see the characters. LOL

Why yes! : ))

It's so excessive, it distracts me.

I was going to ask you where you bought such a fancy TV. :)

• Love 3

So, somehow I missed that Real Detective was actually going to have some legit actors on it.  Reading upthread, I see Devon Sawa also makes an appearance on this?  I keep missing this particular show for some reason, but tuned in tonight to see Michael Madsen portraying one of the detectives.  

• Love 1

I am really enjoying Real Detectives. You can tell these cases have taken a human toll on these detectives. I mean all of these guys for being in a tough guy type of job have really shown their vulnerability. It is definitely a job that one takes home with them everyday.

• Love 3

Many year ago, I watched an investigative report about children like Robbie.  Their parents had tried everything, as had the medical/mental health community, but these kids had to be locked up in a special facility.  They were stone cold sociopathic killers and/or killers-to-be.  The scariest thing for the parents was the realization that once the children turned 18 or 21, they would be released and unleashed on an unsuspecting public.

Unfortunately, some people are born with a brain chemistry gone awry; they are true sociopaths and no amount of love, support, medicine or therapy can "fix" them.

This is truly tragic.  I work with 4 and 5 year olds and we all wonder about certain kids (I know not PC), yet some kids this age really worry me.  Some are bullies and it breaks my heart.  I spend so much time with the problem kids that I don't get much time with the others.

The smoking reminds me of Mad Men.

I am really enjoying some of the new shows on ID.  They are having a special next Saturday on Steven Avery from the doc Making a Murderer with Keith Morrison.  I watched and want to see what was not presented in the very well made documentary.  It happens in Wisconsin which is my neighboring state. i had never heard of this story before.

• Love 5