Type keyword(s) to search

True Detective in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

More Rachel McAdams! She looks pretty badass in the trailer, cant wait to see more of her. I still cant tell much about the plot, but it looks promising. I`m trying really hard not to compare it to season 1. 

Edited by tennisgurl
(edited)

I still cant tell much about the plot, but it looks promising.

I was kind of cracking up that the first trailer they released was all music and even though they added dialogue to the new trailer, you still can't tell much about the plot. I mean, I assume there will be murder and mayhem and of course I will watch it, but I came away from the trailer thinking that they just want to create a mood without giving away any specifics.

I agree that Rachel McAdams looks pretty badass in the new trailer. I started imagining a backstory about what happened to Regina George after high school that turned her into this awesome cop.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
(edited)

People are talking about the creator Nic Pizzolatto being arrogant and pretentious in interviews in the 201 episode thread.

Can someone link  me to such pieces?  I'd love to experience this.

I never saw Season 1 so I'm trying to become a new fan.

Thanks!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I think this piece in Vanity Fair is the one every one is probably referring to.  I think he is totally pretentious, but I loved the first season and I think he is a strong writer, but I'm not sure he ever REALLY planned for this project to...work out? Succeed? Much less become the sort of culture zeitgeist that it kind of became. He wrote it, had to great actors who were committed as producers as well, and the amazing Carey Fukunaga, there was singularity of vision I think that made S1 great, even with all it's obvious flaws. They were able to do all that within a  particular creative bubble, the fact that despite it's sort of long production schedule, Pizzolatto hadn't even started S2, meant he felt a fuck ton of pressure to deal in real time with all the smoke blown up his ass, and all the criticisms lobbed at his head, and I think he chose to disregard many of the criticisms and really deeply inhale all the smoke. Here we are at a second season with a lot of the same flaws w/o the same really great things that helped define the first: immediately great performances, and a single director with real style and vision.

• Love 1

I was beginning to think I was crazy, but no, the verses used in the theme song are changing week-to-week!

They only have weeks one and two there, but week three has the "swarm of flies/bowl of lies" verse, and week four has the "through layers of time you can't divide" verse and the "my woman's here" one again. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I was beginning to think I was crazy, but no, the verses used in the theme song are changing week-to-week!

They only have weeks one and two there, but week three has the "swarm of flies/bowl of lies" verse, and week four has the "through layers of time you can't divide" verse and the "my woman's here" one again.

I love the opening montage and song. I just wish the show was of the same quality--or at least similar. I thought maybe the lines were different verses, but what I really noticed was greater clarity of the words this week--or at least I thought I did, but that's always dependent upon the network carrier's technology. Anyway, it seemed like the voice was mixed louder than the music this week.
(edited)

Awesome music selection :)

I just figured out where I'd seen Frank's girlfriend before.  Her name is Kelly Reilly, and she plays Bingley's sister in the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice (the one with Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen).

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 2

Yeah, Kelly Riley also had her on drama on ABC where she was  a doctor, and she suffered from mental illness. I think it was on about two seasons ago but did not get renewed for another season. I never watched it, because she just does not have the screen presence and I could not take how she dragged her words, speaking like she's always exasperated or something.

(edited)

Kelly Reilly also played Watson's (Jude Law) girlfriend/wife in the Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr. (Rachel McAdams was in the first of these Sherlock Holmes reboots as well.)

I think she's stunningly beautiful. The jury's still out on her acting in True Detective for me....I'll have to see what her character's endgame is.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 1

Hey y'all. I couldn't think of anywhere more appropriate to put these, but I thought they might be appreciated. Something Awful is a satire site and they've done a couple of pieces poking at True Detective. They're pretty great. 

Here's one featuring theme song verses:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/true-detective-nevermind/(the theme song guy is also unsure of who Stan is)

And an extra special sneak peek at season 3!

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/true-detective-preview/

• Love 1

Anybody see the Seth Meyers skit?

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000592

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a SNL parody.

OMG, LOL, this is great, thanks. The prizes, half filled bottles of Jack Daniels and a weird sex doll in a bowl of milk, just beautiful. The crow man and bar singer, when she started to sing while they were thinking about their answers, I busted out laughing. I was like how  distracting, who the hell could think with that playing in the background. Thanks again, that was great.

• Love 1

Wired magazine computes the time needed for all the road trips from this season.

If you thought 24 managed to zip around LA impossibly fast, just see what TD did to the entire state.

Fringe was just as bad, if not worse, but it was scifi with alternate dimensions and time travel, so fudging the distance from Boston to NYC isn't such a big deal within the genre. But Nic P could have easily modeled TrueD's road trips off of those on The Mentalist.
  • Love 1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rick-springfield-responds-to-criticism-of-true-detective-season-2_55c24273e4b0d9b28f051c50

HuffPo has an interview with Rick Springfiled. Interesting quote:

I've likened it to ... science fiction ... the real great writers, they don't say, "okay, it's 2025, you're on Neptune, there's this creature. They start in the middle of the narrative, and you're going, "whoa, whoa, what the hell?" ....

"That's what 'True Detective' does. You launch into the middle of a thing, and things are revealed all through the show that [make you] go, 'Oh!' There are 'oh!' moments, and you understand by the end of the thing what's going on. It's actually very brave writing and very clever writing," he said.

Edited by FemmyV

Holy shot that was great! Love Seth Meyers. ---- I caught Live with Kelly and Michael last week and Rick Springfield was on. I had no idea that was really him on TD! I thought everyone was just snarking on the actor lol.

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about this proposed collaboration.   I've pretty much accepted that TD #1 was lightning in a bottle that will never be captured again, but of course I'll watch if anything comes of it. 

• Love 1

I live in NW Arkansas and the school where I once taught was taken over by the True Detective people during spring break.  Never saw any of the actors, but it was still pretty exciting for a town in the middle of nowhere.  The picture is our school administration building, now called the West Finger Schools for the show.

100_6435.JPG

• Love 2