Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E23: Crying Out Loud

The family is determined to make Alex celebrate her senior ditch day and Phil, Luke and Haley forcefully take her out but end up at an unexpected detour. Claire is torn when she gets a job offer from a big hotel chain but feeling torn quickly gets replaced with feelings of confusion when she can’t tell whether or not Jay really cares if she stays or goes. And with Manny groggy off of pain killers from his wisdom teeth procedure, Gloria seizes the moment to put a sabotage plan into effect to break Manny and his new girlfriend up.

I liked this one. Jay not even being sure if it was Claire in the picture just about killed me.

I could have done without the Lily stuff. But at least they called out Cameron on being a big baby, and Lily on acting like a budding psychopath.

• Love 1

This show does farce like no other show today. The shadows of Phil and Luke doing cartoon-esque things was so incredibly clever and done so well.

It gave me lots of season 1 vibes -- when the show was both funny and poignant. The payoff of the Claire/Jay and especially the Alex/Hayley storyline was worth it. Even the Manny storyline was somewhat touching, as was the payoff of Lily not wanting her dads to die. I liked that the main comedy came mostly from people in the same family interacting because it showed the strength of the familial relationships, while at the same time showcasing the actors' comedic chops.

I just really, really liked this one.

• Love 6

I liked this one a lot too. 

My favorite story was the Hayley/Alex stuff, with Phil and Luke doing increasingly ridiculous stuff behind the curtains. It was like a straight up, old timey farce! And right in between that, was some nice sister bonding. I do hope they get into how siblings can get closer when they don't live together. My younger sister and I drove each other up the wall when we were growing up, but after I went to college, we got WAY closer, and still are now. Distance can help a lot sometimes.

Glad they noticed how creepily unemotional Lily can be (although I thought she was cute with the baby the other week), and her freak out about her dads dying was sweet, especially at the end. 

Just an overall nice episode. 

• Love 5

Glad they noticed how creepily unemotional Lily can be (although I thought she was cute with the baby the other week), and her freak out about her dads dying was sweet, especially at the end. 

It was sweet until we realized that she was just concerned about living with Claire.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow, a few shots at Claire this week. Seemed more than usual.

It was cute, Lily checking on her dads in their sleep and then getting pulled in.

Cam's emotional enough for the house...the block...why stop there, Mitchell?

Poor Alex and trying to finish her story. LOL

Edited by indeed

Cute episode.  I actually liked Lily in this one, and I normally don't - but I thought it was sweet how she checked on her dads with the stethoscope.

One of the funniest lines to me was when Gloria was filling out the application for Manny and thought "Street Name" meant  "Gang Name"

• Love 3

Really enjoyed the episode especially the shadows in the theatre, that was cracking my family up. I completely saw Phil's point, there are many people who go: "Well, I've been very blessed and successful but this is very meaningful to me." I remember a few years ago, I was taking a walk and I passed by this park which stands where this beautiful church stood for decades. Their furnace ignited and turned the place down. I remember going by a few weeks later and seeing the destruction and remembering all my bike rides past it growing up and remembering how peaceful it was in the area. While still a peaceful place, when I see the memorial playground where the church once was, it still gets me. You truly miss things when they are gone when you had good memories of it. I also think Alex going to college will be the best for them both. I really enjoyed all the stories tonight, they all hit the mark. 

I think Lilly is hilarious on this show and loved her story.  I know others don't like her much, but I have always thought her growing up around those two parents I can easily see her turning out the way she is.

It was sweet until we realized that she was just concerned about living with Claire.

I don't think that was her only concern, I think it just crossed her mind after she thought about it

The shadow images were cery creative, not sure how they came up with that

I tire a bit of the same type of storylines over and over with Haley and Alex

• Love 5
(edited)

I think Lilly is hilarious on this show and loved her story.  I know others don't like her much, but I have always thought her growing up around those two parents I can easily see her turning out the way she is.

Oh, Cam&Mitchell, Lily doesn't lack empathy, she's just has no time for your BS.  

At my high school seniors couldn't attend on skip day, it was a liability thing. And Alex has absolutely no friends, apparently. Spending skip day with your dad is like taking your brother to prom. 

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

Something they really have to do after this is have Haley drop the entire: "Nerds have no life" attitude. Its old, her younger sister is going away to college on a scholarship while she works for a complete jerk and lives in her parents basement. She needs to lose the HS attitude, if she wants to think life is still like that, then she can go with Luke back to HS along with Manny and see how fast that lasts. I loved Manny calling out Gloria why he is thought he is a momma's boy not to mention his outlook on life. Gloria really hasn't learned. 

I have never heard of "skip day" - is this a regional thing?

We definitely had senior skip day at my school in New York. Except it was a goody good school so most of us didn't skip, the teachers just continued the movies we were watching (mostly AP classes and APs were taken about a month before school ended).

I don't know if senior skip day is a regional thing, but we had one here in NY.  Though skipping mostly amounted to everyone's parents just calling them in sick, so nobody was really skipping in the classic sense.

• Love 1

Alex and Haley's bonding made the episode for me. Really cute and well-acted. Of course next week or whenever, they will probably go back to Cool Haley Talks Shit About Her Nerdy Sister and have them sniping at each other, as always. Phil's look of fatherly pride at them was cute too.

Cam and Mitch act like they don't hate each other for a second episode in a row. New record? Lily was particularly robotic in this episode; baaaad line delivery, and she'd been improving lately.

There's almost always a subplot that can be lifted out of the episode. It's usually Manny's for me. Not funny, just kind of vaguely annoying and unnecessary.

• Love 1

Oh, Cam&Mitchell, Lily doesn't lack empathy, she's just has no time for your BS.

At my high school seniors couldn't attend on skip day, it was a liability thing. And Alex has absolutely no friends, apparently. Spending skip day with your dad is like taking your brother to prom.

That confuses me. Why would it be a liability to have a student in class on Cut Day?

I always allowed my kids one "hooky" day every school year. My son always picked the day after Halloween and my daughter picked her birthday.

I love Lily. She and Phil are the best ones on the show in my opinion.

• Love 2

That confuses me. Why would it be a liability to have a student in class on Cut Day?

Well, it was an official thing (technically called "Career Day") and seniors were not allowed to attend classes. The story was that if some kids attended class, and some didn't attend class with no repercussions/tacit approval, then whatever the kids who didn't attend got up to was a school sanctioned activity (drinking, car accidents, and other injuries were not unheard of). If it's just a day off from school, then it's on the parents.

That was the story that went around; there could have been a simple logistical explanation instead. Given our society's penchant for both crafting urban legends, and for far fetched litigation, it's hard to be sure what the truth was.

Well, it was an official thing (technically called "Career Day") and seniors were not allowed to attend classes. The story was that if some kids attended class, and some didn't attend class with no repercussions/tacit approval, then whatever the kids who didn't attend got up to was a school sanctioned activity (drinking, car accidents, and other injuries were not unheard of). If it's just a day off from school, then it's on the parents.

That was the story that went around; there could have been a simple logistical explanation instead. Given our society's penchant for both crafting urban legends, and for far fetched litigation, it's hard to be sure what the truth was.

Yeah, I've heard that too and many schools go: "It's their last year and month in high school, let them have a day." I remember mine too, really enjoyed it but I still had to mow the lawn but I went out with some friends, saw an early movie, did a bike ride across the long trails in my town. It was a lot of fun but one classmate of mine didn't because he has no car or anything. He was put on TA duty in the office and he hated it, said he could have just stayed home and watched TV. 

• Love 1

Loved the shadow scenes in the theatre, but my favorite story of this ep was with Manny and Gloria. I haven't had issues with Rico's acting like some people, and I thought he was particularly good in this ep. I also loved Gloria suddenly realize that she was describing herself as she described the girlfriend. And then Manny's disgust and confusion at his attraction to the girl. 

I don't mind Lily the character, but I can hardly take the actress. I think she's awful.

I think Lilly is hilarious on this show and loved her story. I know others don't like her much, but I have always thought her growing up around those two parents I can easily see her turning out the way she is.

I've grown to love Lily and I think the actress keeps improving all the time. Lily checking on her dads was so adorable. It was a great Aww moment.

I think it's sad when someone can't even make a I'm loopy on drugs scene funny. Rico made it seem like I was getting my wisdom teeth pulled. I think Xavier needs to kidnap him and take him back to Columbia but then I'd miss Xavier.

I don't like physical comedy very much but I thought the scenes at the theater were so clever.

To me, this was a good episode because it wasn't terrible. Not much praise, it was fine. Heh.

Ditch day is ridiculous. High school kids are so hard done by going to school before they have summer off that they have to skip? Yes, I know some have jobs, but really.

Gloria is kind of creepy when it comes to Manny. I pity the girl he brings home some day.

I agree that Gloria is creepy about Manny.

I remember when my son brought a girl home for the first time. There is a twinge of jealousy that he's now holding somebody else's hand. Gloria takes it to the extreme though and it really is creepy.

• Love 1

I have never heard of "skip day" - is this a regional thing?

Detroit area here [waves hand].  We had skip day way back in the 1970s.  Only freshmen came to school and the teachers looked at you like you were crazy if you came to school sophomore +.  Our moms just wrote notes (no call in back then, the party line might have been busy lol).

• Love 1

Skip Day for my school was the Monday after Prom/Prom weekend in which the seniors declared it was "skip day" and most-probably all- had their parents call them in sick. 

Same with mine and the school I work for now, that's what we do too. 

In my school, Senior Skip Day was a big underground secret and only the really cool kids did it, spending the day drinking beer at the lake.  Umm, that would not have been me.

(Because I know that sentence should end with "I.") 

It has never once occurred to me, before reading this board, that their parents were writing them notes.  I always thought they were renegades who gutted out the consequences.  <laughs, smacks forehead>

• Love 2