Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Girl Meets Gravity

Hmm...wasn't this episode supposed to have finished airing about an hour ago?  (I don't have access to it at the moment.)

No posts yet = bad sign?

I spent most of the episode wanting someone to smack Riley and Maya. Like, REALLY hard. Who are these two little girls acting like this to a new teacher? If I was him, I would have 302'd both of them.

On the other hand, I'm intrigued at how Katy's new involvement could make Maya into much less of a Shawn Hunter clone than she was last season. I was probably one of the only BMW fans who did not have any time for all the wangst Shawn brought.

The special snow-flakiness of these two girls needs to be dialed down a lot.

• Love 4

Also surprised at the lack of posts (so far).

I was surprised that Rowan Blanchard was the only person who looked noticeably older to me.  I thought some of the other kids might look a year older, but they really didn't.

Also seemed odd that they killed Ms. Svorski off.  "It's time to hand this place off to someone else," then she immediately dies.  But really, nothing was going on with that place, so this should provide some plot advancement if Topanga and Katy are spending time there.  Hopefully Topanga might actually get some focus on the show this season.  That's a little overdue.

• Love 2

I spent most of the episode wanting someone to smack Riley and Maya. Like, REALLY hard. Who are these two little girls acting like this to a new teacher? If I was him, I would have 302'd both of them.

Seriously, they were acting completely inappropriate.  They've never had to be in class where they couldn't sit next to each other? They've never had a class that wasn't taught by Cory?

Was I the only one excited we saw Feeny at the end?

• Love 4

My least favorite episode that I've seen so far...but that scene between Cory & Feeny at the end may be my favorite scene of this show so far.

My reasons why pretty much echo the other posts. Riley and Maya were irritating in this episode.

• Love 4

I watched this with my daughter tonight. I've taught 8th grade for 10 years.

This is exactly how 8th grade girls act. They exist in a self-centered, entitled, members-only universe where frequent storms of drama and unpredictable mood changes occur as often as the moon revolves around the earth.

Occasional bursts of insight and compassion can occur, similar to how Riley comforted Augie during the memorial in the bakery.

I have hope for both girls.

I liked that the boys didn't automatically jump ship with the girls and leave Cory's class. It was an easy joke, but I did laugh at the other class versions of the characters we know and appreciated that it was only a small one minute gag and not something that took up a big portion of the episode.

The reference to Feeny always being Cory and Topanga's teacher made me laugh as well and I did like that they at least acknowledged how weird it is that the same seems to be happening with Cory, even if they doesn't appear they'll do anything about it.

The bit with Riley at the funeral really didn't make any sense, but it did give us what I thought was a nice little moment between her and Augie. Got a kick out of the morbid joke from the dearly departed Ms. Svorski. Liked the continuity of Maya's mother being a bad actor. Topanga going from being a high powered lawyer to running the bakery wouldn't make any sense in the real world, but if it gets her more involved in the show then I guess I'll take it in the GMW world.

• Love 3

I thought it was interesting that Riley managed to make Mrs. Svorski's funeral about her, but all things considered, the speech was probably pretty short in real time. Loved that dress and jacket though. I'd say Mrs. Svorski knew she was dying, which was why she was trying to get Topanga involved and left the note for Auggie.

I'm always happy to see Feeny. 

• Love 1

There might have been a little squee from me when Feeney appeared.  I always loved his relationship with the characters on BMW. I still tear up at his "I love you all...Class dismissed" line from the finale

• Love 3

The final scene was the best part of the episode.  I liked the bakery scenes more than the school scenes.  I like that they're bringing in Maya's mother to work in the bakery.  I also liked the reaction of the female teacher towards Riley and Maya, but was disappointed that her daughter was in the class playing the exact same role as Riley.

I liked Riley's interaction with Auggie, but wasn't a fan of her monologues at the bakery.  I'm glad they were part of a memorial service; I was afraid that it was going to be a new theme of the show where she was talking to the audience.

Not the best episode, but not the worst either.  Kind of sucks that they killed off Ms. Svorski, but I guess it was either that or send her back to the Ukraine so there would be a reason that Topanga HAD to be at the bakery.  I hope Maya's mom does a decent job waitressing there.  I guess it works to get the adults and kids into an interactive environment.

I wanted to smack the hell out of Riley and Maya for their actions with the new teacher.  Oh, and exactly why was Cory just hanging out in the hallway, ready to take over the class.  He just magically knew he was going to be needed because the new teacher was going to quit?  The school just pays teachers to loiter around in case another teacher quits?  None of that made sense.  I did get a laugh out of new teacher's reaction to Farkle's announcement that it was Farkle Time, though.  Wish they would have kept the new guy around, at least for a couple of episodes.  And Kudos for the joke about Feeny teaching them throughout the entire run of BMW.  Always glad when shows give a wink on stuff like that. 

And, like so many others, I got a bit choked up during that phone call at the end.  I want more cameos from Feeny!

• Love 1

Lucas always looks to me like he's wearing makeup. Which is fine, but I wonder does he just have one of those faces, is he just badly blended enough by the makeup people that it's noticeable, or is it an actual unmentioned character trait that he wears makeup and everyone just rolls with it. As they should.

Or maybe I'm just seeing things and need a better TV.

(edited)

Lucas always looks to me like he's wearing makeup. Which is fine, but I wonder does he just have one of those faces, is he just badly blended enough by the makeup people that it's noticeable, or is it an actual unmentioned character trait that he wears makeup and everyone just rolls with it. As they should.

Or maybe I'm just seeing things and need a better TV.

I think they plaster makeup on him to cover any signs of facial hair. He's pushing 17 but supposed to be in 8th grade, they've got to make him look younger some how and apparently they chose painting him up like a human puppet. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Love 2

I was surprised that Rowan Blanchard was the only person who looked noticeably older to me.  I thought some of the other kids might look a year older, but they really didn't.

The answer to that is that they already WERE older (than they looked a season ago).  Rowan is the one who was most at the bottom of the puberty curve.

Not the best episode, but not the worst either.  Kind of sucks that they killed off Ms. Svorski, but I guess it was either that or send her back to the Ukraine so there would be a reason that Topanga HAD to be at the bakery.  I hope Maya's mom does a decent job waitressing there.  I guess it works to get the adults and kids into an interactive environment.

I wanted to smack the hell out of Riley and Maya for their actions with the new teacher.  Oh, and exactly why was Cory just hanging out in the hallway, ready to take over the class.  He just magically knew he was going to be needed because the new teacher was going to quit?  The school just pays teachers to loiter around in case another teacher quits?  None of that made sense.  I did get a laugh out of new teacher's reaction to Farkle's announcement that it was Farkle Time, though.  Wish they would have kept the new guy around, at least for a couple of episodes.  And Kudos for the joke about Feeny teaching them throughout the entire run of BMW.  Always glad when shows give a wink on stuff like that. 

And, like so many others, I got a bit choked up during that phone call at the end.  I want more cameos from Feeny!

I appreciated though that if they WERE going to manipulate things to make Corey the teacher, that they just played it as an over the top joke. So that not ONLY included getting it over with within the scope of 1 episode, but also made him lingering in the hallway and instantly showing up just part of the meta joke.  It's not SUPPOSED to play as even slightly realistic.  

I really liked this episode. Children are completely egocentric, so I felt Riley and Maya were acting very true to life. Even though I would much rather see Topanga kicking ass as a corporate lawyer, I'm excited to see her have a more active role in the show outside of the apartment. Loved the phone call at the end between Cory and Feeny. I like to think that Cory calls Feeny at least once a week to check in with him. I'm just very excited to see how this season goes. 

• Love 1

Reilly speaking at Ms. Svorski's funeral was a big no from me. She didn't know Ms. Svorski well from her own admission. It was a smidge much for me. Also Ms. Svorski giving up the bakery and then going to die was heavy handed.

Overall I did like the episode. I am bummed that they introduced us to 2 new teachers just to have them taken away. I would have been fine to have Cory teach history and have the girls also take a class with another teacher. While the constant guest stars are giving Cory more to do, it would be nice to this show find a more balanced dynamic in school. Turner and Mr. Feeny had their own dynamic and power struggles.

• Love 2

Just saw the best META moment of the series! God bless Cory and Topanga XD.

Riley: Are you going to be my teacher?

Cory: No. Your mother and I went through that with Mr. Feeny.

Topanga: Yeah, our teacher from sixth grade to college.

Riley: How could that happen?

Cory: In an unexpected-

Topanga: But completely believable way.

Cory: Every year.

Sourcehttp://girlmeetsworld.tv/quotes/episode/201-GMW/

Is it just me or do they have a crush on the new teacher? :p

Scratch that: They just want to tick him off.

Heck if I behaved one IOTA like they were doing, I would have been suspended from school or at least strictly warned. Learn to have some respect for your elders/teachers! You annoying lil' whippersnappers!

Annnnd the teacher up and quits! Plot device teacher /facepalm. So Cory can come back.

None of mine would have gone and done that ;).

Other than that though this was a good episode.

I liked how they had them learn that the world didn't revolve around them.