Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E08: Bryceton

• Start Topic

A talented singer-songwriter has developed an addiction to alcohol and synthetic marijuana that is completely out of control, leaving his wife to raise their son while also having to cope with her husband's erratic behavior.
  • Love 1

Seemed like someone trying to self-treat an undiagnosed bipolar disorder to me. Wife looked like Virginia Madsen. Little boy was adorable. I'm glad he got some help - if he's on the right medications to treat his psychiatric illness, hopefully he will be able to stay clean. Also, yay Hubert!

• Love 4

Hubert's hair just made this episode. What a rock star.

I get that Bryceton was erratic based on the drugs and alcohol, but I thought that he went from cursing off his (poor) wife and running away through the shrubs, to smiling and willing, way too quickly. It could have been the editing.

Well, clearly some time had elapsed because he went off to some friend's house.  He had time to let the reality of being arrested sink in, and that seemed to be the deciding factor.  Wish they had addressed the psychiatric issue, just for clarity.  I think his sobriety will depend heavily on keeping the mental illness under control. 

• Love 3

Seemed like someone trying to self-treat an undiagnosed bipolar disorder to me.

I think it was something beyond just a mood disorder.  They mentioned briefly his cutting school and getting into trouble (before he was molested), which made me think of Oppositional Defiant Disorder.  But he was a mess of symptoms, and it's really hard to untangle what was the drugs and what mental illness.

Really unfortunate case, but I didn't really warm up to him.  The wife was delusional if she thought having a baby would make him clean up his act.

• Love 6
(edited)

Who knows what diagnosis he ended up with -- either bipolar or ODD could probably account for what we saw, i.e., grandiosity, inability to conform to expectations, etc.  The difference would be that there is treatment for bipolar, whereas as my understanding is that conduct disorder is not treatable, leading me to land on the side of bipolar since he seemed so much better in treatment.  Early days, though, either way, and of course there are other possibilities as well.  

I was glad to see he had not gone back home. More times than not, it seems to me that there's no way these poor folks could stay sober if they return to the environment they came from.  To call some of the families messed up is a monstrous understatement.  Not that they are necessarily at fault, but sometimes they are all so enmeshed that it's hard to see how to avoid falling back in the same mess if you're in their orbit.  

ETA correction of conduct disorder/ODD.

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 1

The wife was delusional if she thought having a baby would make him clean up his act.

Was he in his full blown addiction act already by the time they decided to have a baby?  I can't remember the timeline.  She seemed to repeatedly cop the attitude that any Dad is better than no Dad at all.  Women like that make me see red.  Get your sweet little baby away from that unpredictable rage monster.  

Had Bryceton held any sort of occupation in the past?  Because his families insistence that he pin his dreams on a music career didn't seem too helpful to me.  Let's look at something more realistic.  

The molestation story was horrible (as they always are).  I'm afraid that even sober, Bryceton's still going to have a whole smorgasboard of issues to still bring to the table.  

When he and the sister were having the giant fight about the nephew, there was a young girl sitting next to the sister (her daughter?) who was so unshaken and unfazed by the raging lunatic in front of her, it was concerning.  She was just totally relaxed, hanging out, petting her dog.  I would have been running for the door. 

• Love 5

Seemed like someone trying to self-treat an undiagnosed bipolar disorder to me. Wife looked like Virginia Madsen. Little boy was adorable. I'm glad he got some help - if he's on the right medications to treat his psychiatric illness, hopefully he will be able to stay clean. Also, yay Hubert!

If I were the wife, I would have been afraid to allow that precious little boy to be around him. I know that he seemed crazy about the kid, but when he had those explosive fits of anger, it scared ME, so I can't even imagine how it must have affected that toddler. I would love to see his wife after a good makeover; she would be a knockout. He must have been a really great guy at some point or maybe he just got really lucky when she agreed to marry him, because she seemed like a great gal. I am SO grateful to see that Hubert is still sober! He's one that didn't have long to live IMO had he not gotten treatment.

• Love 2

Had Bryceton held any sort of occupation in the past?  Because his families insistence that he pin his dreams on a music career didn't seem too helpful to me.  Let's look at something more realistic.  

Was there any indication of what the wife did for a living?  Because with Bryceton reduced to nicking twenties and pawning things, he clearly had no employment of his own, but they seemed to have a fairly nice standard of living with one income and a rage-monster.

• Love 1

Bryceton was an asshole to his family... like on a different level than the addicts usually are.  Not really a fan.  Patting himself on the back over what an awesome dad he is was a little rich.

I was really excited to see Hubert.  His kindness and gentle spirit really shone through in his original episode, and I'm happy to see he seems to have successfully battled his demons. 

• Love 9

Just a guess, but Bryceton's loud bellowing and flailing seemed all for show. His rage was true, but the carrying on all over the place seemed like Drama 101. As if two minutes later he'd wink and say "just kiddin', I love ya."

The wife annoyed me. She chose to marry and procreate with someone who clearly is not well.

• Love 6

"...his aria of fuck-yous and runs into some underbrush." Poetry. And, somehow, a thing many alcoholics end up doing?

When an addict runs into underbrush, you know they're trying to find rock bottom.

• Love 4
(edited)

I have yet to find one likable person this whole (new) season. Either I've completely become a hard-heart or this was a suck ass bunch.

Really didn't like JVV making this family chase his stupid ass through the bushes. And watching the sister fall pissed me off even more. F you too, scary spice. 

Edited by Mystical chick
  • Love 6

I have yet to find one likable person this whole (new) season. Either I've completely become a hard-heart or this was a suck ass bunch. 

I was thinking the same thing, and wondering the same thing about myself. I kind of think it's not us though. The complete disregard for others, as well as themselves, is getting to me. Looking back on addicts from old Intervention, a lot of them seemed to have some redeeming qualities, and others had incredibly tough stories that made the addictions seem at least understandable. This lot is more about "I'm gonna get high because I like getting high and screw everyone and everything else". I think it's symptomatic of a culture that's become more narcissistic and less empathetic. But that's just my theory.

• Love 4

I was thinking the same thing, and wondering the same thing about myself. I kind of think it's not us though. The complete disregard for others, as well as themselves, is getting to me. Looking back on addicts from old Intervention, a lot of them seemed to have some redeeming qualities, and others had incredibly tough stories that made the addictions seem at least understandable. This lot is more about "I'm gonna get high because I like getting high and screw everyone and everything else". I think it's symptomatic of a culture that's become more narcissistic and less empathetic. But that's just my theory.

I've been to rehab twice, in 2000 and again in 2008. You're right in saying that there seems to be a difference in the morality level of addicts then vs. now. Here's what I observed from both rehabs: Addicts are getting younger and younger. The second rehab had a youth program with addicts as young as 8 years old being admitted for treatment. There is more entitlement and self-centeredness in general today than ever before, not just with addicts either. I think the court system is more lenient than it's ever been because of overcrowding, so addicts aren't as worried about long-term jail time now. In my second rehab (which was upscale AND expensive), there were several addicts there because the court made them; those addicts didn't give a damn about serious recovery. All of my AA/NA meetings are full of drug court people who are there only because the judge gave them the choice of drug court or jail. Most of those addicts aren't serious about recovery either. I guess what I'm getting at is the addicts I've seen in the new season of Intervention have been enabled to near death by friends and family, as well as the court system. I also think that meth is more prevalent now and, from what I've seen, that shit will rob you of your very soul. We're just dealing with a whole new breed of addicts nowadays.

• Love 5

I'm glad it's not just me. I have compassion for what it must be like to be physically addicted and how difficult it is to stay sober. And there have been many stories where I cried for the families and the addict.

But wowsers, this last season I would have been happy to shuttle them all off to an island and let them go down that hole on their own. Thanks FarmGal4 for the perspective. Addicts as young as 8? Holy cow.  

• Love 2

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one not feeling Bryceton. From his not-a-name, name to his warbly, meaningless and cliched songs, he grated on my nerves so much that I had to fast forward to the intervention, which I never do. I hate to say it, but maybe they shouldn't have brought this show back.

• Love 1

Gee, I guess I'm the only one who has a dedicated "Intervention Tuesday."  Right before Bryceton were the equally unlikeable Holley (alcoholic,) and Tiffany D, the methhead who picked her face and sneered her grandmother into craven submission.  Tiffany could have taught Bryceton a thing or two about bolting since Tiff managed to head-butt her mother in the face before she scarpered. 

My main problem with Bryceton was watching a full hour of him guzzle beer, roll his "spizz" and be a total dick.  I would have been fine with Bryce being part of a two-fer episode.

Hubert!  Frankly, the smart money was not on you, my man, and now you look exactly like a high-powered patent attorney I know in DC.  Excellent.

• Love 2

I wish they hadn't change the show so much from the original incantation. Those episodes left me rooting for most of the addicts, and was probably what made me sympathetic to addiction. The last few seasons they did some stupid shaky cam thing that actually made me sick (awful nausea), and this season it seems different again. I haven't thought one addict would succeed, and actually don't remember how many did, because the show is not memorable to me any longer.

I kind of like that they have been showing addicts that don't have horrible pasts, because some people do drugs just because they want to. But at the same time, they are taking the place of someone who needs coping skills and therapy. Bryceton could be sober and still be an ass.

• Love 2

Gee, I guess I'm the only one who has a dedicated "Intervention Tuesday."  Right before Bryceton were the equally unlikeable Holley (alcoholic,) and Tiffany D, the methhead who picked her face and sneered her grandmother into craven submission.  Tiffany could have taught Bryceton a thing or two about bolting since Tiff managed to head-butt her mother in the face before she scarpered. 

My main problem with Bryceton was watching a full hour of him guzzle beer, roll his "spizz" and be a total dick.  I would have been fine with Bryce being part of a two-fer episode.

Hubert!  Frankly, the smart money was not on you, my man, and now you look exactly like a high-powered patent attorney I know in DC.  Excellent.

You're not the only one that watches on Tuesday! I'm glad I watched this week, because I had never seen the Holley episode. She was a true POS, especially since she thought it would be a good idea to drink/drug throughout 3 pregnancies. Tiffany was a vile, manipulative bitch who deserved to be living-in-a-box homeless. She had her poor grandparents beaten down and scared to death of her. I know Candy could have killed them both for ruining the intervention.
  • Love 1

Yes, 8. The kid was addicted to huffing paint.

I hope he was able to get help before he got hurt seriously. Years ago, my friend's son that I was very close to, got caught huffing. He got caught with his older cousins only after they threw the cans into a fire and got severely burned when the cans exploded. It was awful. None of us had any idea they were using before that.

Nobody failed. It happens sometimes. And it's a sad sight to witness. Guilt is a bitch but honestly? There were no signs, yet.

Paint-huffing, aerosol huffing...widespread abuse among kids on Indian reservations. I've heard bath salts are also making inroads. Many reservations are "dry," plus alcohol and drugs are relatively expensive. WalMart products, on the other hand, are accessible and cheap.

I feel sorry for the addicts with terrible childhoods, or who suffered abuse and some sort of trauma which led them to using as a method of escaping/coping. But I have zero sympathy for the kinds of addicts that choose to do drugs because they're bored and just feel like it, then turn into belligerent douchebags when they're confronted. I know there are tons of small towns in every state where there isn't a big social scene, that doesn't mean a person can't find a hobby that doesn't involve a crack pipe. I dunno if it was in this thread or one of the others, but I am finding it really hard to give a shit about most of the addicts we have seen so far. We need some more reeeeeeally entertaining episodes, folks with some Gabe or Linda type antics. Or that woman who would drive across the country in a limo with her cat..

• Love 6

Get your sweet little baby away from that unpredictable rage monster.

Amen to that. I couldn't handle it when Bryceton was on his rant about his asshole teenage nephew. Projection much? The selfishness of leaving all day to get wasted with his friends takes my breath away. Good dad, my ass.

Bryceton was supposedly sober when he married and had the kid. Even so, it's hard to understand how this woman ended up with him.

• Love 2

She seemed to repeatedly cop the attitude that any Dad is better than no Dad at all.  Women like that make me see red.  Get your sweet little baby away from that unpredictable rage monster. 

Right? WTF. Get your child the F out of there! 

• Love 1

Hold up. 8?!!! We have failed as a society.

I know. I have a nephew who is 10. I can see a great deal of therapy in his future if his parents are not careful (parents are divorced and barely civil and his mother is....difficult) but drugs at his age????????

• Love 1
(edited)

I know. I have a nephew who is 10. I can see a great deal of therapy in his future if his parents are not careful (parents are divorced and barely civil and his mother is....difficult) but drugs at his age????????

Yes. It starts there, if it's going to happen. Usually, it doesn't and everything is ok. But yeah, 10 is about the age it goes off the rails. If it's going to go off.

In other words, invite the child to spend time doing fun things in a safe home. Bake cookies. Bust the hell out of some old furniture. Whatever gets the child's attention. I had two kids that enjoyed wielding a hammer. One was happy just painting the driveway. Look the child in the eyes and listen. It's not hard. It's simple. And it makes a world of difference. Everybody wants to be heard. Even little kids.

Edited by MissMel
  • Love 3

Really didn't like JVV making this family chase his stupid ass through the bushes. And watching the sister fall pissed me off even more. F you too, scary spice. 

I just kept thinking, Why are you bothering? (I get why they were, as his family, but as a viewer, nothing compelled me to want to help him.

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one not feeling Bryceton. From his not-a-name ...

Same! I was expecting to see a 22 year old with a 38 year old mother who didn't know any better when she named him. Not a 41 year old full grown man!

• Love 1

His father was named Bryceton too.

I recall the wife saying that they drank beer, but when she got pregnant the "partying" stopped. I guess it just stopped for her. Then someone introduced him to the synthetic marijuana and it all went downhill.

So, he had 3 dui's, lost his license until 2022, drinks a case of beer a day, smokes spice and we saw a scene of him in the car with the kid? I sure hope he wasn't driving him around...

• Love 1

I just kept thinking, Why are you bothering? (I get why they were, as his family, but as a viewer, nothing compelled me to want to help him.

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one not feeling Bryceton. From his not-a-name ...

Same! I was expecting to see a 22 year old with a 38 year old mother who didn't know any better when she named him. Not a 41 year old full grown man!

I found myself having no sympathy for Bryceton. He came across as so very selfish and arrogant...and a huge man-child. I don't know why his wife put up with him for so long.

I feel sorry for the addicts with terrible childhoods, or who suffered abuse and some sort of trauma which led them to using as a method of escaping/coping. But I have zero sympathy for the kinds of addicts that choose to do drugs because they're bored and just feel like it, then turn into belligerent douchebags when they're confronted. I know there are tons of small towns in every state where there isn't a big social scene, that doesn't mean a person can't find a hobby that doesn't involve a crack pipe. I dunno if it was in this thread or one of the others, but I am finding it really hard to give a shit about most of the addicts we have seen so far. We need some more reeeeeeally entertaining episodes, folks with some Gabe or Linda type antics. Or that woman who would drive across the country in a limo with her cat..

I missed that limo/cat episode...who was that?

• Love 1