Type keyword(s) to search

Lifetime Original Movies: Mother, May I Escape From My Terminally Ill Dangerous Ex? - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Watched Secrets Of A Gold Digger Killer yesterday and shut it off appx 3/4 of the way through.  I just didn't care about the conclusion.  The acting was soooooo bad.  Julie Benz looked terrible with the brittle blonde hair and overly tight clothing. 

The premise was so obvious and everything fell into place too nicely in the beginning.  Aging waitress with 2 teenage daughters to clothe and feed and looking for that 'big payout' in the form of a rich husband just happens to have a patron whose a recent widower with LOADS of money to spend because he just sold some media company.  His wife is probably less than 2 months in the grave, yet he's strongly desiring company, lavishing gifts on people and taking care of someone.  He even goes as far as wanting to officially adopt her daughters on their wedding day.  Of course - 'Big Daddy' (as he's nauseatingly referred to by his gold digging wife) has a daughter (who looks a little too old to be his daughter as actor who played Big Daddy looked pretty good for his age) who is older than her new step-mother and of course doesn't trust her

I won't get into too much of what I did see as not to spoil it, but when I got to the scene where new wife was baby-talking Big Daddy about who the house will go to if something should happen to him (he already established a trust for her and her daughters).  When finding out the house is 50/50 between wifey and BD's daughter, wifey turns the baby talk up even more about securing a roof over her head until BD practically gets down on his knees and says he'll call his lawyer RIGHT NOW to come over and redo the will.  Um....yeah.  You're an idiot.  TV got turned off right away.

Edited by ctlady
bolded movie title
(edited)

The Gold Digger one was a true story but when I looked it up they left a lot out. In real life, Celeste remarried six months after Steve died, he died of a blood clot months later ( the show implied he died in the hospital during recovery ) and there were other minor changes.They also left out the part where Steve built Celeste’s dream house for her. But the part with Celeste befriending and using the mentally ill woman are all true.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I saw Secrets of a Marine Wife and pegged the boyfriend as the murderer after the first bit of flirting. I could tell the husband Jon was nice, I didn’t see him as a killer even if he was mad about the affair. That boyfriend Chris though….

If I was Chris’ wife, I would not be bringing my child to visit him in prison. The child would have to be of legal age and go on their own. 

• Love 3
On 6/6/2021 at 10:47 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I haven’t seen the movie but he may have abused her too. Or she wanted to believe that she was “special” and her love could change him. 

I am watching Gone, the Jennifer Dulos Story now, I was intrigued by the posts about it. 

Edited to add: Poor Jennifer. The only thing she could’ve done would’ve been to hire security detail to watch her house etc (given she was so wealthy). I wonder how Fotus got into the garage? Likely he knew where she kept a spare key given they were married for 15yrs. 

I am glad her children are safe. I don’t think Michelle helped Fotus kill her, but she knew more than she told the police and she lied for him. Was he worth possibly going to jail for?!!

I recently finished Gone Mom and thought it was pretty good. Annebeth Gish as Jennifer did a good job

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/20/2021 at 8:46 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I saw Secrets of a Marine Wife and pegged the boyfriend as the murderer after the first bit of flirting. I could tell the husband Jon was nice, I didn’t see him as a killer even if he was mad about the affair. That boyfriend Chris though….

If I was Chris’ wife, I would not be bringing my child to visit him in prison. The child would have to be of legal age and go on their own. 

Kind of hard to understand why Erin would cheat on her perfectly nice and hot husband with a guy whose emo look just screamed “serial killer.”

It was also hard to get past how she spent her last days giggling about how her side piece is the father of her baby and assuming that they’re going to get married behind her husband’s back. Was Lifetime trying to portray the victim as a total bimbo? 

Edited by Spartan Girl
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Kind of hard to understand why Erin would cheat on her perfectly nice and hot husband with a guy whose emo look just screamed “serial killer.”

It was also hard to get past how she spent her last days giggling about how her side piece is the father of her baby and assuming that they’re going to get married behind her husband’s back. Was Lifetime trying to portray the victim as a total bimbo? 

No, I think they were showing how blindsided she was by his violence towards her and how she had no way of knowing he’d try to murder her. 

She had convinced herself they were in love and going to be together (I’m sure he fed into those delusions), only for him to murder her in cold blood and throw her body down a mind shaft. 

She was a silly naive cheater, but she wasn’t a hateful murderer like Chris. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

No, I think they were showing how blindsided she was by his violence towards her and how she had no way of knowing he’d try to murder her. 

She had convinced herself they were in love and going to be together (I’m sure he fed into those delusions), only for him to murder her in cold blood and throw her body down a mind shaft. 

She was a silly naive cheater, but she wasn’t a hateful murderer like Chris. 

Oh don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t trying to victim blame or anything like that. And I totally get how blindsided she was, but the movie made him look kind of creepy lol.

I still felt bad for Jon most of all. On top of having his wife murdered, the affair immediately made the cops (at first) consider him the prime suspect, and that felt like further insult to injury.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t trying to victim blame or anything like that. And I totally get how blindsided she was, but the movie made him look kind of creepy lol.

I still felt bad for Jon most of all. On top of having his wife murdered, the affair immediately made the cops (at first) consider him the prime suspect, and that felt like further insult to injury.

I felt awful for Jon too. He seemed like a decent guy who did love her. He wasn’t mistreating her or being mean. Not only was she cheating on him, she said it was over, kept it up behind his back and then died. The guilt he must’ve felt, like “oh if I had seen, I could’ve stopped her from going, I could’ve confronted him etc etc”

I asked my Mom “why didn’t she just go home to her parents? If you are 19 and married two minutes and already want to cheat, maybe it’s a sign you shouldn’t be married????”

I didn’t think you were trying to victim blame- my mom was telling the screen “child- that behavior will get you killed! These men have fire arms!” And then my Mom said, “I’m not doing what you call it, victim blaming, I’m scared for her.” (My mom is 73, it’s funny but not funny)

• Love 1
On 6/27/2021 at 6:17 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Watched Doomsday Mom and YIKES. That woman never should have been allowed to procreate.

It is really a terrible story. It seems like she was totally brainwashed by the crazy guy she was in love with. So sad what happened to the kids.

And the movie certainly implied she and Chad were responsible for other deaths as well.

• Love 1
On 6/29/2021 at 5:24 PM, KaveDweller said:

It is really a terrible story. It seems like she was totally brainwashed by the crazy guy she was in love with. So sad what happened to the kids.

And the movie certainly implied she and Chad were responsible for other deaths as well.

Horrible story and Lori and Chad and anyone else with their beliefs are all nutcases. I do wonder though if Chad really believed all that stuff or if he was just using those beliefs to con people

It does seem much too soon for a movie given the case is still ongoing

• Love 1

Did anyone happen to watch Nobody Will Believe You? I'm a sucker for the teens in trouble genre, but this was the most scattered, incoherent mess of a movie. Perfect angel girl (expert pianist, graphic designer, dancer, saint) moves to a new town. There are mean cheerleaders, a creepy piano teacher, a creepy guidance counselor, his creepy daughter (who I don't even think was supposed to be creepy), sexting, murder, tasing, several scenes with mac and cheese...

It reminded me of the Kristen Wiig/Will Ferrell Lifetime movie. I don't think it was supposed to though.

Yesterday must've been psycho/killer/deranged in-law movie day.  Murder In-Law was pretty good, but I could not even get to the 1 hour mark with Deceived By My Mother-In-Law.  The  part of the sick, in-need-of-a-walker MIL was just over the top with her 'no filter' language and comments.  I understand when you're in love you're in love, but DANG, if my new or soon-to-be hub sat there like a clueless idiot while his mom spewed passive-aggressive backwards compliments and passed it off as "she's not well" "that's just how she is"  "she really has a good heart"  "she's just upset because she couldn't make the wedding"  "she' going to kill you because you stole her baby boy from her" I'd either show them BOTH the door or run out of it as fast as I can.  Situations like that will NOT change.  Ever watch Everybody Loves Raymond?

Also watched No One Will Believe You.  Creepy, but not bad.  And I know I've said it in past posts, but I'm just tired of seeing people coming out of a divorce with a child and trying to get a start up business up and running, yet living in a 3,000+ SqFt house that belongs on the cover of Architectural Digest.  Can these writers put them in a modest ranch or cape cod style with comfy/cozy chic?  Do mother/daughter duos really come home from work/school, make dinner and sit down at a table with a full placemat/linen napkin/napkin ring setting with a tray of lit candles surrounded by pearls, shells and seaglass?

• Love 3

Anyone watching Keeping Up With The Jonses mini-series/movies?  I love me some campy Vivica Fox, but the acting is just awful.  The dialogue has that back and forth, 'goes on forever' vibe that I thought it was a Tyler Perry produced vehicle.  You know, where a LOT gets said that could've been explained in one sentence?

I missed the first one so it was hard to follow The Wrong Letter so I didn't move onto The Wrong Blackmail.  

The new slate of six movies, includes Killer Cheer Mom, starring Denise Richards; The Wrong Cheer Captain, starring Vivica A. Fox and Jackée Harry; Poms and Payback; Deadly Cheers; Cheer for Your Life; and Webcam Cheerleaders.

Fear the Cheer runs from Aug. 28-Sept. 5.

• Useful 1
On 8/4/2021 at 4:43 PM, Dejana said:

Fear the Cheer runs from Aug. 28-Sept. 5.

Okay, seriously, how many more cheerleader movies can they do?

Several of the plot descriptions at that link sound like the same movie as each other, not to mention ones I've seen before.

Why not do some movies about a Girls Who Code club instead? Or girls writing for the school paper (do they still have school papers?). Or a female soccer team? They could still cast good looking people and do almost the same plots. 

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Several of the plot descriptions at that link sound like the same movie as each other, not to mention ones I've seen before.

Why not do some movies about a Girls Who Code club instead? Or girls writing for the school paper (do they still have school papers?). Or a female soccer team? They could still cast good looking people and do almost the same plots. 

For some of these, I'm almost sure they come up with the title first and back into a plot/script. Once they run the cheerleader theme into the ground for good (i.e. the ratings fall off), it'll be on to the next thing.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Dejana said:

For some of these, I'm almost sure they come up with the title first and back into a plot/script. 

They totally do. They probably have some random title generator. That pulls in a crime-related word with a cheerleading related word and go from there. How else could you get "Pom Poms and Payback"?

Unless it is part of their Wrong series. For that they just add the word "Wrong" to anything they can think of.  They already did The Wrong Cheerleader and The Wrong Cheerleading Coach, so now they are doing the Wrong Cheer Captain. I wonder if they will be able to do a fourth wrong-cheer-something?

• Love 1
On 8/6/2021 at 3:07 AM, KaveDweller said:

I'm sure it's based on ratings and market research. I guess cheerleading attracts enough viewers to justify an event week twice a year. Other sports will have to make do with the occasional movie that is not part of an event week. Since you mentioned the school paper, if I remember correctly one of the previous cheerleading movies had a girl joining the cheerleading squad in order to write an article about them for the school paper.

31 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I wonder if they will be able to do a fourth wrong-cheer-something?

My suggestion: The Wrong Cheer Camp.

• Love 2

I think I watched the worst lifetime movie of all time last night! Anyone watch Psycho Storm Chaser? It was literally about a storm chaser ( think an evil Jim Cantore), who kills people who don’t plan appropriately for a hurricane. The lead actor was terrible .

• LOL 7

I’m working my way through “Girl in the Basement” about a young woman held for years by her father and impregnated by him. Judd Nelson plays a thoroughly repulsive in this

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 8/8/2021 at 9:11 AM, Madding crowd said:

I think I watched the worst lifetime movie of all time last night! Anyone watch Psycho Storm Chaser? It was literally about a storm chaser ( think an evil Jim Cantore), who kills people who don’t plan appropriately for a hurricane. The lead actor was terrible .

Now I'm glad I recorded this one! When you think you've heard all the nonsensical motives to murder someone, lol.

• Love 2
On 8/5/2021 at 6:07 PM, KaveDweller said:

I like the cheerleader movies, but I like all high school movies so I'd be thrilled with switching it up to any of these students mentioned. I just wish the plots weren't all about murder. I miss the days of cheerleaders with eating disorders, drinking problems, bullying, etc. It was a simpler time. Now they all are too repetitive - starting off with either a body being found or a girl running in the woods followed by a "Two days/three weeks/one year earlier" note. And then murder.

Did anyone watch The Virgin Sinners? It was one of those movies that originally aired somewhere else so the editing is really choppy and there are scenes and characters that don't make much sense because you know stuff was cut for time. I thought it was pretty solid for the first half (and reminded me of my favorite campy Lifetime movie ever Seven Deadly Sins -- not just because of the name), but once the murdering started it went a little downhill.

Did anyone watch the two cheerleader movies last night? I thought Killer Cheer Mom was pretty decent and entertaining. But Pom Poms and Payback was just awful. The three main characters were completely unlikeable. It drove me crazy how they kept referring to "our boyfriends." Then the mother who had been a mean girl as a teen was still making excuses for her bullying the sister back in the day. 

Also, I realize the coach was just a psycho, but if she was the one that tried to burn down the school as a kid, why would she blame other people for her sisters death. Her actions were why the sister was getting bullied. 

On 8/29/2021 at 3:12 PM, KaveDweller said:

Did anyone watch the two cheerleader movies last night? I thought Killer Cheer Mom was pretty decent and entertaining. But Pom Poms and Payback was just awful.

Watched them both back to back On Demand.  Denise Richards did pretty good in KCM.  Thomas Calabro's acting was so stilted (Lord, I miss him from Melrose Place).  It really burns me that his own daughter couldn't convince him to believe her - not until she was konked over the head with a shovel.  And is it standard that at least one character jogs/runs to stay in shape?

PP&P was just awful.  The scene at the restaurant with the IT guy getting a reaction to the peanuts in the Thai salad.  First:  DID YOU NOT SEE THE PEANUTS SITTING RIGHT ON TOP OF THE SALAD??  Second - he didn't start getting a reaction until the very last bite.  Would've happened sooner if you've ever been around anyone with a severe peanut allergy who just ingested one.  A LOT sooner.

As a former HS cheerleader, those routines/cheers were just as awful as the movie.

Edited by ctlady
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/16/2021 at 12:48 AM, Steph Sometimes said:

I just wish the plots weren't all about murder. I miss the days of cheerleaders with eating disorders, drinking problems, bullying, etc. It was a simpler time

Same here.  One of my favorite 'bullying' movie is Odd Girl Out.  That was just so well done complete with a big fist pump moment at the end.  But, not cheerleader-centric.  

• Love 2

I tuned into Pom Poms and Payback about 30 minutes in, and didn't like what I saw. Lol the daughter and mom were pretty cringy. But I ended up watching til the end. The mom said that Sally was a cheater but I don't recall her elaborating on that. How did she cheat? Was it that serious? I mean it is school. Surely there are a lot of cheaters there. That doesn't make it okay to bully her, and try to justify it to her sister. I thought the guy at the end was pretty funny with the whole car wreck. "It is recommended that you stay at the scene of the accident" "Some cheerleader just stole my car!" Lol 

2 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I tuned into Pom Poms and Payback about 30 minutes in, and didn't like what I saw. Lol the daughter and mom were pretty cringy. But I ended up watching til the end. The mom said that Sally was a cheater but I don't recall her elaborating on that. How did she cheat? Was it that serious? I mean it is school. Surely there are a lot of cheaters there. That doesn't make it okay to bully her, and try to justify it to her sister. 

The story seemed to be that Sally tried to burn down the school when she didn't get the lead in the school play. Which would be terrible, but it's not cheating. But then the daughter read an article about how they later found out that it was actually the little sister who tried to set fire to the school. If it was in the papers, I'm not sure how the mom didn't know that.

Sally seemed sincere in the flashback when she denied the accusation.

I saw a promo for Harry and Meghan Escaping the Palace.  It looks terrible.  Honestly.  There is one escape movie that I really want to see but I don’t know if Lifetime has the writers to do it.  Katie Holmes: Escape from Scientology.  Rumor had it her dad had her divorce papers prepped before she was married (he’s a lawyer).  There were burner phones, escape through a back way and grocery store while her powerful husband was away.  This I want to see.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Ms.Moon said:

I saw a promo for Harry and Meghan Escaping the Palace.  It looks terrible.  Honestly.  There is one escape movie that I really want to see but I don’t know if Lifetime has the writers to do it.  Katie Holmes: Escape from Scientology.  Rumor had it her dad had her divorce papers prepped before she was married (he’s a lawyer).  There were burner phones, escape through a back way and grocery store while her powerful husband was away.  This I want to see.

I would love to see that too. But maybe Lifetime doesn't want to piss off Tom Cruise and Scientology? Tom has power in Hollywood still and doesn't he like to sue people?

I couldn't care less about Harry and Meghan and other royal drama.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I would love to see that too. But maybe Lifetime doesn't want to piss off Tom Cruise and Scientology? Tom has power in Hollywood still and doesn't he like to sue people?

I couldn't care less about Harry and Meghan and other royal drama.

Harry and Meghan looks like messy boots mess and I have to be in a place to watch that.  Truly Katie Holmes: Escape from Scientology is the movie I want to see but it probably won’t happen until Tom ascends to whatever Scientology says their people go.

• Love 2
On 9/4/2021 at 6:59 PM, Atlanta said:

The Meghan and Harry movie looks cringey.

I actually enjoyed it, though it obviously was on their side (but so was I). I liked the parallels shown between them and Harry’s mom Diana

• Love 3
On 9/8/2021 at 8:49 AM, meatball77 said:

I liked how they made William the villain.  As petty as I imagine that he is and all the random UUGH Andrew moments made me laugh.

The lady character that recommended to the Royals how to proceed with the press and how to deal with Harry and Meghan was so awful. She was probably a composite of people or fictional, but I hated her as she clearly had daggers out for Harry and especially Meghan

It's interesting that they made Kate somewhat sympathetic and trying to find ways to smooth things over with the brothers. It seemed like William was on the verge of softening at times, then just stiffened his spine. I really think in real life, William is caught between a rock and a hard place because he's going to be King one day and wants the monarchy to survive in order to do so and for his children to rule some day and has to do what the Firm wants. Harry was no longer needed as a spare King after William had several children, so he was easily ignored by the Firm. Really unfortunate given how popular Meghan turned out to be. The parallels in the movie with Diana were well done, though in Harry and Meghan's case, their marriage stayed strong

• Love 7
On 9/9/2021 at 12:51 PM, DanaK said:

The lady character that recommended to the Royals how to proceed with the press and how to deal with Harry and Meghan was so awful. She was probably a composite of people or fictional, but I hated her as she clearly had daggers out for Harry and especially Meghan

My theory has always been that William and Charles' (and some of Elizabeth's) staff is composed mostly of people like that but worse.  Teams that scheme and push their agendas on the senior members of the family (and then leak to the press to hide and push their agenda).  That they are as responsible for the tension as anything else.  I think Harry and Megan would have left regardless because they are both too opinionated to be second string and always having to be the middle of the road.

• Love 1
On 8/6/2021 at 3:07 AM, KaveDweller said:

Why not do some movies about a Girls Who Code club instead?

I had to think of your post when I just started watching The Price of Fitting in. The main characer in that movie joined the robotics club at her new school which is an activity that involves coding. The teacher in charge of the club seems inappropriately interested in the main character.

• Love 1
On 9/24/2021 at 5:12 AM, paulvdb said:

I had to think of your post when I just started watching The Price of Fitting in. The main characer in that movie joined the robotics club at her new school which is an activity that involves coding. The teacher in charge of the club seems inappropriately interested in the main character.

I will have to look out for it. Sounds like I was right and they could use the same plot as a million other movies with a new club slotted in.

So they remade the classic Dying to Belong, for the Zoomers. I caught it yesterday.

Now instead of being awkward and unsure of herself, Shelby's a target for bullying and sorority hazing because of an anxiety disorder.

I can see wanting to update this particular story for a new generation of college-bound kids, but I thought this was pretty weak. The OG sorority did creepy and murderous much better; there were beatings and kindnappings, and evil Sarah Chalke had to pay for what she did. This one just ended with hugs and self care.   The stats they ran were still pretty grim though.

• Love 1

Mckenna Grace To Headline & EP ‘The Bad Seed’ Sequel Greenlighted By Lifetime Which She Co-Wrote

In the sequel, Grace plays 15-year-old Emma, a seemingly typical teenaged girl who is anything but that. Set several years after the murderous events of the first movie which left her father (Lowe) dead, Emma is now living with her aunt Angela and navigating high school. Angela’s husband begins to suspect that Emma may not be as innocent as she appears and suggests sending her off to boarding school. Meanwhile, a new girl at school seems to know Emma’s secrets, leaving Emma no choice but to slip back to her old ways and take care of her enemies by any means necessary.

• Love 1

Watched Deadly Ex Next Door I'm trying REALLY hard to suspend belief of pretty, young couples purchasing immaculately furnished lake houses where no one seems to work (except the lead actress who was some type of author, however, her day seemed to consist of dressing up in Polyvore finest while sipping tea wrapped in a shawl on the porch swing)  Oh, and the main couple must've had boku bucks to where they'd be able to buy out the creepy neighbors - offering then double.  Not to mention they're so trusting that the papers are drawn up that day, reviewed and almost signed without even the mention of an attorney looking them over.  

And the actress who played Sylvie - her teeth weren't just positively jarring, but the actress exaggerated her lines and emotions to where she looked like an angry beaver

The only character I liked was the lady sheriff.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I have been watching Girl in the Shed with my mom. Ben Savage is creeping me the fuck out, and Lindsay Navarro is doing an amazing job as Abby Hernandez. I am glad Abby is doing well and is executive producer so she can be paid well for sharing her story. That poor poor baby.

I couldn’t bring myself to watch. Watching Corey Matthews be a creeper was just too much.

• Useful 1