Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

I hate how the music makes it difficult for my old ears to completely hear what is often being said in these promos.  

Is Owen saying, "Are you dating someone?"   I'm sure Amelia says, "No, but we could."  That doesn't exactly flow right.  So, I don't know if the promo is edited funny and her reply is not to that specific question...or if I heard his question wrong.  Either way, I'm ready for more Amelia.  To heck with ya Amelia-haters.  ;)  

• Love 3

I wonder if Owen and Amelia will end up as friends with benefits. Maybe it will be a separation as opposed to a divorce. 

Seeing April on the gurney, I’m a bit disappointed we won’t see one of those “I didn’t know I was pregnant” situations. It has probably been at least 9 months since she and Jackson slept together. 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I wonder if Owen and Amelia will end up as friends with benefits. Maybe it will be a separation as opposed to a divorce. 

Seeing April on the gurney, I’m a bit disappointed we won’t see one of those “I didn’t know I was pregnant” situations. It has probably been at least 9 months since she and Jackson slept together. 

Great...yet another repeat of Cristina and Owen's storylines

16 hours ago, cycworker said:

So basically, much like other more formal professions (nurses immediately come to mind in the part of Canada where I live) you have to work X amount to keep your membership? 

In the actors' unions, once you gain your membership, you may keep it as long as you continue to pay dues. But in order to be eligible to join and remain in the group health plan, you need to work a certain number of hours in union-contract shows, annually. When you do work in a union-contract play, episode or film, your employer pays the union a fee, based on a percentage of your salary, toward the union's group health plan and pension program.

14x08 - Out of Nowhere (Mid-season Finale) - The doctors must get creative to treat patients after a hacker shuts down the hospital's computer system.

Matthew Morrison is confirmed to return for 14x09, the mid-season premiere. 

On 10/28/2017 at 2:19 PM, BaseOps said:

14x08 - Out of Nowhere (Mid-season Finale) - The doctors must get creative to treat patients after a hacker shuts down the hospital's computer system.

Ugh, another ransomware episode.  SVU and Chicago Med already did it this past year.  

On 10/27/2017 at 3:33 PM, Stacey1014 said:

Where do you see April on a gurney? 

On 10/28/2017 at 3:19 PM, BaseOps said:

I think it'd be pretty interesting if Matthew Morrison (can't remember character name) was being brought in as a patient. Now putting Jo in the incredibly wretched position of a either bowing out of his care and having to explain why or finally dealing with him.

Full release for the mid-season finale is still pretty cryptic in terms of what the doctors are actually up to. 

On the episode “Out of Nowhere” – A hacker compromises the hospital’s computer system, causing monitors, phones, labs and patient files to all go down. As technology fails them, Bailey attempts to keep the peace but chaos erupts and the doctors are forced to get creative in their methods to treat the patients, on the fall finale of “Grey’s Anatomy,” THURSDAY, NOV. 16 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST). Guest starring is Stefania Spampinato as Carina DeLuca. “Out of Nowhere” was written by William Harper and directed by Kevin McKidd.

2 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

In the preview for the next episode (the guys on the boat) there’s a scene with the women. At least I think it’s April. 

That's not April, it's a guest star. 

2 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

In the preview for the next episode (the guys on the boat) there’s a scene with the women. At least I think it’s April. 

Do you mean Arizona and Maggie’s patient? That’s not April. I assume she’s a pregnant woman if Arizona is lead doctor.

3 hours ago, CED9 said:

Do you mean Arizona and Maggie’s patient? That’s not April. I assume she’s a pregnant woman if Arizona is lead doctor.

I saw the red hair and thought it was April. I only saw the preview from my phone and it was so quick that I assumed it was April. 

From Entertainment Weekly: "Jo’s past will soon come back to haunt her. Sources tell me that Matthew Morrison will reprise his role as Jo’s abusive husband, Paul, early in the New Year as Grey’s plans to delve deep into a powerful domestic violence storyline."

Paul is confirmed to appear in episode 14x09, which is the mid-season premiere. 

On 10/30/2017 at 6:12 PM, kinnej5 said:

Can someone tell me what was said in the previews?

Jackson:  I bought a boat.

One of the guys?:  Yeah!

Narrator:  It's truths....

Owen: Are you dating someone?

Amelia:  No, but we could.

Narrator:  ....confessions....

Ben:  I applied to the fire training academy.  

Alex:  Whoa!

Ben:  Please don't tell her.

Narrator: ...and...

Patient on gurney:  Ow!

Narrator:  ...a whole...

Arizona:  Did you swallow something?

Narrator:  ....lot....

Patient on gurney:  I didn't swallow it!

Narrator:  ....of crazy!
*sound of gunshot*

Narrator:  Grey's Anatomy....next Thursday on ABC

So next week we have patients that remind Mer & Alex of George & Cristina... I really hope that they pay tribute to Izzie too, and not in the way they often do (referring to her as Alex's crazy ex). I get that Shonda doesn't love Katherine Heigl, but Izzie was - whether you like(d) her or not - part of the show's heart for a long time. She was a big part of what brought people in (the original promos hammered her "HOW COULD I POSSIBLY PRACTICE MEDICINE CARRYING THESE THINGS AROUND!?" speech for weeks before the show premiered) and what made Grey's a cultural obsession, between her friendship with George and her relationships with Denny and Alex. I hated how she was written out, which admittedly was Heigl's fault apparently, but I still hope they honor her as having been a really important part of the series, and specifically of the original 5 interns. 

• Love 5
On 10/27/2017 at 0:59 AM, cycworker said:

Thank you! That's interesting. I had no idea. So basically, much like other more formal professions (nurses immediately come to mind in the part of Canada where I live) you have to work X amount to keep your membership? 

Yep - pretty much.  You get credit for each film or show that you do.  You have to have a certain amount to maintain your membership, which in turn maintains your insurance.

1 hour ago, BaseOps said:

So next week we have patients that remind Mer & Alex of George & Cristina... I really hope that they pay tribute to Izzie too, and not in the way they often do (referring to her as Alex's crazy ex). I get that Shonda doesn't love Katherine Heigl, but Izzie was - whether you like(d) her or not - part of the show's heart for a long time. She was a big part of what brought people in (the original promos hammered her "HOW COULD I POSSIBLY PRACTICE MEDICINE CARRYING THESE THINGS AROUND!?" speech for weeks before the show premiered) and what made Grey's a cultural obsession, between her friendship with George and her relationships with Denny and Alex. I hated how she was written out, which admittedly was Heigl's fault apparently, but I still hope they honor her as having been a really important part of the series, and specifically of the original 5 interns. 

"Seriously?"  ;)

• Love 1

From TVLine: 

Grey’s remains committed to finding a new love for Mer. Sources confirm to me exclusively that the show is quietly searching for a fortysomething actor to play a major new love interest opposite Ellen Pompeo. Character details are sketchy, but I’m told the guy in question will be a doctor from a foreign country who is sexy, fiery, impulsive and passionate about medicine. He also shares something major in common with Mer in that one of his parents (in his case his pa) was/is a renowned surgeon.

Also, from ABC: 

Edited by BaseOps
4 hours ago, BaseOps said:

Character details are sketchy, but I’m told the guy in question will be a doctor from a foreign country who is sexy, fiery, impulsive and passionate about medicine. 

So, Carina???  The male version?

The famous parent thing seems "out of place" to me, because it feels like has Meredith dealt with the issues with her mother and found a sense of closure and peace, as much as can be found.  I guess we shall see how this plays out, if it does.  

Edited by Scatterbrained

From EW: 

George and Cristina won’t be the only ghosts haunting Grey’s Anatomy‘s 300th episode.

The landmark hour finds all hands on deck as the docs of Grey Sloan tend to patients of a roller coaster accident who spark memories of their past; for example, two of them look eerily similar to George O’Malley (T.R. Knight) and Cristina Yang (Sandra Oh). But EW can now reveal that there will also be another patient who reminds the docs of Katherine Heigl’s Izzie Stevens. That means the original Fab Five interns, which also included Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo) and Alex Karev (Justin Chambers), will sort of be reunited during the 300th episode!

“Cristina, George, and Izzie we’re thinking about a lot during this episode because our three guest actors on the show actually really look like them and remind the rest of the doctors of those characters,” Sarah Drew says. “That causes the original group to really remember those people well and want to fight for these ones to live.”

$100 bucks says the Izzie look-a-like dies. 

• Love 1

I loved, loved, loved the original interns as a group, and even though the show has been without them longer than it was with them, I still consider them the heart of the show, so I am really looking forward to this episode. Frankly, I would be thrilled if it was just the five original characters sitting around reminiscing, but I know that's not gonna happen. And I know that  many people would hate that too!

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

I loved, loved, loved the original interns as a group, and even though the show has been without them longer than it was with them, I still consider them the heart of the show, so I am really looking forward to this episode. Frankly, I would be thrilled if it was just the five original characters sitting around reminiscing, but I know that's not gonna happen. And I know that  many people would hate that too!

I like that they're going into the episode with the intention of being nostalgic and honoring the past but also continuing to push the story forward with new interns, Carina / Owen, Meredith's medical storyline, the Jo divorce story, etc. I honestly think Vernoff has been so incredible in giving the show a fantastic (and much-needed) jolt this season. The fact that in 5 episodes she was able to effectively remove 8 or so seasons worth of dark cobwebs from Owen Hunt's brain and allow the poor guy to smile again, have Jo finally get focus and actually TALK TO ALEX even as they allow Alex & Meredith's friendship to remain integral and organic, and give every character something to do, is just incredible. I'm just thrilled with everything so far and I can't wait to see what they have planned for the 300th. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 3

From TVLine: 

“Matthew is coming back as Dr. Paul Stadler and we are facing the issue of domestic violence head-on,” co-showrunner Krista Vernoff confirmed to TVLine over the weekend at the ABC drama’s 300th episode soiree in Los Angeles. The EP was quick to assure fans, however, that Morrison’s return — and the dark cloud he’ll be bringing with him — would not upend Season 14’s lighter tone.

“I’ve talked a lot about how this season [we’re refocusing the show on] fun and joy and laughter, and my commitment has been to make sure there’s laughter in every episode — even the ones where the stories that we’re telling are quite painful and quite dark,” Vernoff explains. “And my hope is that women will come out of this story feeling empowered. I’m really proud of this story. I’m really proud of the work that we’re doing.”

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I have to say I really feel they're aware of just how bad last season was..

Krista sure seems to be. She's been shading the writing on twitter quite a bit and it's not even that subtle. I wonder how her co-writers and her co-showrunner William Harper feel about that.

• Love 3

I would have liked to be a fly on the wall as Krista watched the last few seasons. They barely made sense in real time but I imagine that watching them back to back just made it worse. As annoyed as I was about how much the Jo/husband/marriage crap has been going on, I am now very glad that they weren't able to really get to it last year.  I'm still nervous about it, but I have to believe that Krista will do a better job with it. She has done a much better job with already.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, GSMHvisitor said:

Krista sure seems to be. She's been shading the writing on twitter quite a bit and it's not even that subtle. I wonder how her co-writers and her co-showrunner William Harper feel about that.

It’s not subtle at all. She’s definitely making her opinions known but then likes to act oblivious about it. 

• Love 1

It's good so far compared to the horrors of previous seasons, but it could be even better. I don't want them to equate the lighter tone they're going for with juvenile humour, and it's getting dangerously close to that on occasion. 

And stop bringing in one-note characters like Carina. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

7 hours ago, moonorchid said:

It’s not subtle at all. She’s definitely making her opinions known but then likes to act oblivious about it. 

I don't know why she's shading the writing. She used a tumor to recon/explain away things she doesn't like. That not a good writer, that one of the worse part of soap opera writing. 

Edited by gator12
  • Love 4

So I was lucky enough to screen the 300th episode and it's absolutely fantastic. It's so whimsically nostalgic but also really drives the plot forward in a number of ways. Meredith and Alex are the stars, but everyone has something to do. There's a big focus on the first day of the new interns (hanging out in the tunnels!). The patients really do remind you of George / Cristina / Izzie, and it feels like they honor them. There's also some other nice little nods to the past, and they weren't kidding when they said there's easter eggs for the die-hard fans. Nearly every scene has some subtle callbacks. The general theme is that we're always moving forward, nothing stays the same, etc. 

'Nobody knows where they might end up...'

• Love 6
1 hour ago, BaseOps said:

So I was lucky enough to screen the 300th episode and it's absolutely fantastic. It's so whimsically nostalgic but also really drives the plot forward in a number of ways. Meredith and Alex are the stars, but everyone has something to do. There's a big focus on the first day of the new interns (hanging out in the tunnels!). The patients really do remind you of George / Cristina / Izzie, and it feels like they honor them. There's also some other nice little nods to the past, and they weren't kidding when they said there's easter eggs for the die-hard fans. Nearly every scene has some subtle callbacks. The general theme is that we're always moving forward, nothing stays the same, etc. 

'Nobody knows where they might end up...'

Thanks that's exciting! As much as I am all about some Fab 5 nostalgia, I am glad that stories will be moving forward too. Reading some of the cast interviews it sounds like they are excited about this season too.  Or they've gotten great at promotion lol!

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

For some reason I could see him dating April . Maybe they meet in tinder? Could give Sarah Drew something more to do then play third wheel to the painful Maggie/Jackson saga.

I’ve been theorizing this for months. Much like callie was used to bring in penny, april is in the perfect position to bring Paul in.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chas411 said:

For some reason I could see him dating April . Maybe they meet in tinder? Could give Sarah Drew something more to do then play third wheel to the painful Maggie/Jackson saga.

That could be interesting, but they actually don't need someone to bring Paul in.  If Jo files for divorce, and she said that was what she was going to do, that's enough to get him to Seattle and the hospital.

• Love 1
On 11/14/2017 at 7:33 PM, OtterMommy said:

That could be interesting, but they actually don't need someone to bring Paul in.  If Jo files for divorce, and she said that was what she was going to do, that's enough to get him to Seattle and the hospital.

It's enough to expose everything to everyone. Hell, I could see Bailey going: "How the hell do you use a fake name and get through not only med school but into the field of medicine in general?" Seriously, there are so many points they have to explain and it just goes to: "I legally changed my name and left it at that." That doesn't mean Mr. Super Evil, I have connections husband just went: "oh well, who cares. Let her run away." There are so many holes in Jo's story over the last few years and I know they want to tackle domestic abuse and everything. But they are going to have to either ignore things or leave it just why she couldn't just divorce him from day one. 

• Love 2

I don't think it's any secret that the writers pulled it out of their asses. The character is was on the show 3 seasons before this came out so it was always going to be a tough sell on various aspects. They'll probably give us a throwaway line or just not address it.

Paul doesn't need to be introduced through someone obviously but it could be an interesting shock moment. I don't know I guess while I want the storyline to be about Jo I'd like other people involved since she's so limited on interactions outside Ben, Alex and sometimes DeLuca.

Posted by @anna0852 in the "Out of Nowhere" thread...

What I really want to see when we pick up again in January is Jo getting support from her coworkers about Paul. Not just Alex but other people. Like Bailey bluntly telling him to get away from her residents, they have work to do or Meredith informing him that she owns the hospital and he can leave now. Not the Jo can't stand up for herself but it would be really nice to see some support from her colleagues as well.

What I really DO NOT want to see is that the reason Paul is in the hospital is because Bailey hired him.  I say this because it seems to be the way Grey's does things...who has come on the show (as a regular) this way?  Let's see...Addison and Mark.  Then we also have Karina and Eliza, who may not be or have been "regulars" but sure are or were around a lot.  Then there is Catherine...

I also really don't want to see Paul sticking around after this DV story line is somehow resolved.  I mean, if they do that, the story line will NEVER be resolved and having to see Jo work alongside her abuser would be just too much...

• Love 1

I would really like to think that if Bailey hired him, she'd be backtracking real quick when she finds out the backstory. I can actually give her a pass on hiring him as Jo has not exactly made her background known anyone beyond Alex and Meredith. Nor has she shared the name of that husband either. Bailey legitimately wouldn't have a way of knowing but I would hope that she would terminate the contract as soon as she found out.

• Love 1

Paul was wearing a suit, like he was going to a business meeting. Possibilities include

• guest lecturer 
  • job interview
  • formal  tour of the hospital

I don’t think that he was dressed smartly just to confront Jo, he seems to have a work related reason to be at the hospital.

Edited by Pink ranger

I can actually see that. That mindset of driving it home to Jo in every way that he thinks he is better than her, smarter, and superior to her in every way. That's one of the reasons I'd love to see him tangling with Meredith or Bailey. That abuser personality won't be able to take having women tell him what to do or where to go.

• Love 1
On 11/20/2017 at 5:59 PM, anna0852 said:

I can actually see that. That mindset of driving it home to Jo in every way that he thinks he is better than her, smarter, and superior to her in every way. That's one of the reasons I'd love to see him tangling with Meredith or Bailey. That abuser personality won't be able to take having women tell him what to do or where to go.

That's the thing about abusers, they have a superior complex or they try to remove support of the people they are abusing. Something they could have fitted in perfectly that Paul removed Jo's support system. Strutting his stuff, since he is a BIG NAME doctor. Similar to how Owen tried to get his sister in the role he picture himself and her living. His problem was, Owen had this vision their father instilled in him to carry out. Paul, it comes more about being the BMOC. Thinking his is God's gift to the world and is just a horrible asshole as a result. In fact, I could see that if they do go into Paul's background that he wasn't abused or anything, just his ego turned him into a person who believed he was entitled and wouldn't answer to anyone else. More of corrupted by the environment that one person in general. 

2 hours ago, readster said:

That's the thing about abusers, they have a superior complex or they try to remove support of the people they are abusing. Something they could have fitted in perfectly that Paul removed Jo's support system. Strutting his stuff, since he is a BIG NAME doctor. Similar to how Owen tried to get his sister in the role he picture himself and her living. His problem was, Owen had this vision their father instilled in him to carry out. Paul, it comes more about being the BMOC. Thinking his is God's gift to the world and is just a horrible asshole as a result. In fact, I could see that if they do go into Paul's background that he wasn't abused or anything, just his ego turned him into a person who believed he was entitled and wouldn't answer to anyone else. More of corrupted by the environment that one person in general. 

Or he picked Jo precisely because she had no support system. What better target than someone without family and who looks at you like a savior, at least for a little while.

I think that having Paul around for more than one episode would be preferable, but given that so many people know about him now, I'm not sure how that would work.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I think how they do this storyline will depend on how long he's around for. If it's just a one episode stint then they won't be able to cover much.

From what I understand and have read, it sounds like he'll be around for "several" episodes.  What worries me is that "several" may turn into "regular" and that needs to not happen...

• Love 1