Type keyword(s) to search

Fashion on Hannibal: Plaid suits and paisley ties

I think it's worth having a fashion thread on this board since the costumes are so distinctive.  In this episode (2.05) alone we had Freddie in a ruffled shirt and suit, and Hannibal in a pullover sweater before breakfast.

• Love 1

Mads looked good in that pullover, too! Hannibal actually let his hair be a bit floppy in that breakfast with Jack set of scenes.

I thought Freddie looked like her usual self- a bit loud, a bit dramatic (the ruffles), but not impractically so.

For all we got to see, the hype over Hannibal's swim gear was overblown, imo.  That pullover was sexier, to me.

Haven't seen the most recent episode yet, but I'll admit that I absolutely adore all off Hannibal's snazzy suits/ties (the only tie I hate is the red splotchy one - for some reason I just cannot stand it). Freddie's outfits are usually pretty awesome too - I loved that cape she wore in season 1. That red thing she was working in S01E02 was not for me, however. Too much read with that hair of hers - which is also fabulous.

Also, Alana's wrap dresses are the best. I want her wardrobe.

Also, Alana's wrap dresses are the best. I want her wardrobe.

She looks fabulous in them. CD owes a debt of gratitude to Diane von Furstenberg. Having said that, enough already. I'm starting to not be able to distinguish one wrap dress from another.

• Love 1

She looks fabulous in them. CD owes a debt of gratitude to Diane von Furstenberg. Having said that, enough already. I'm starting to not be able to distinguish one wrap dress from another.

I think I've seen a couple of them repeated, which I actually like. Same with the Murder Tie popping up multiple times. I like the idea that these characters both don't have an unlimited wardrobe and have favorite items that get worn regularly (for MURDER). 

• Love 1

I think I've seen a couple of them repeated, which I actually like. Same with the Murder Tie popping up multiple times. I like the idea that these characters both don't have an unlimited wardrobe and have favorite items that get worn regularly (for MURDER).

Agreed. It always throws me out of a show when characters seem to have a different item of clothing for every day of the year. Even if they have the kind of money to do that, there would have to be at least one or two items that they would want to wear more than once, because they love them (or they're getting their murder on).

I kind of love the MURDER TIE now. I never noticed it before, but it doesn't surprise me. Hannibal is such a drama queen that his entire life has to have mood music, why wouldn't he have a Murder tie? I will forgive him the lack of a Murder Ensemble (or does he have one?) because he has that (inexplicably perfectly tailored) plastic suit getup. Though he really should wear a hairnet, too. *gets mental image of this, cracks up*

(edited)

As a former costume designer I take great pleasure in the design of this show.    Hannibal's costumes are definitely standouts in portraying his "character", but other characters have distinct looks ---Alana's outfits are usually soft and curvy--and I always look forward to Freddie--she is all sharp angles and swirls--giving her a very "wired" look, and I always think Jack has a very heavy, weighted down look--he usually has layers that give him a kind of burdened feeling.

I thought it was interesting that Will even HAD a suit to wear to court--I wondered if his lawyer provided it.   

The colors, the patterns that are used are so tied to each character and to the overall theme each week.    It's one of my favorite parts of the show.

Edited by car54
  • Love 5
(edited)

As a former costume designer I take great pleasure in the design of this show.    Hannibal's costumes are definitely standouts in portraying his "character", but other characters have distinct looks ---Alana's outfits are usually soft and curvy--and I always look forward to Freddie--she is all sharp angles and swirls--giving her a very "wired" look, and I always think Jack has a very heavy, weighted down look--he usually has layers that give him a kind of burdened feeling.

Alana has never met a wrap dress and knee high boots she didn't love!  The show's costume designer does a great job cultivating different "looks" for each of the dudes, which is often hard to do for a male character, I would think.  But we know Jack likes dark tone-on-tone shirts and suits and ties, Hannibal loves to look like a well-tailored sofa from Balmoral, and Chilton dresses essentially as all the preppies in the Brat Pack movies would 30-years later.  You can just tell from Chilton's tweed jackets and striped shirts he knows how to throw a heckuva clam bake.

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 1

I thought it was interesting that Will even HAD a suit to wear to court--I wondered if his lawyer provided it.

Heh, we were talking about that as a defense strategy on another of my hangouts: "Your honor, my client is perpetually rumpled and covered in a fine layer of dog hair. What makes you think he could manage a fancy murder without leaving piles of evidence?"

• Love 2

I kind of hand wave that as, he must have had to appear in court at some point to give testimony as part of his FBI work, he has a suit from then. Or going to funerals or whatever. 

I will forgive him the lack of a Murder Ensemble (or does he have one?) because he has that (inexplicably perfectly tailored) plastic suit getup. Though he really should wear a hairnet, too. *gets mental image of this, cracks up*

Now I want to know where he got the plastic suit. Like, did he ask his usual tailor "Make me a plastic suit with footies, completely waterproof. Why? No reason." or is he some sort of amazing tailor himself? 

• Love 2

The therapy resumption scene at the end of S02.E07 "Yakimono" was interesting.  Hannibal was in a hound's tooth sweater and Will was in a long sleeve red button down shirt.  No suit jacket for Hannibal, and no coat for Will, as though the outer layers are peeled away.  What's more, Will cleaned himself up for the encounter, getting ready for battle.

• Love 1

Will got slicked back hair, and he joined team red with that rusty red colored shirt.   The power has shifted.    Hannibal was colorless, sort of like Dr Bedelia.

They now have something new in common....both with patients they are a bit afraid of.   

• Love 1

I loved that Chilton was wearing a plaid suit jacket while he was being framed (Subtly being dressed in something Hannibal's style while suspicion falls on him for Hannibal's crimes). If he had been wearing a paisley tie with it, I honestly believe the frame job would have been 200% more successful. There's something about that combination that just screams "madness!"

• Love 2

I do not like Will's cleaned up look. I get that it signifies that he is getting his act together and gearing up for battle with Hannibal, but I am going to miss that scruff and that head of messy curls something fierce. Without them Hugh Dancy really doesn't do it for me. If they take Hannibal out of his dapper three piece suits as well I might just cry.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm starting to think of Will's new look as Hannibalized.  He was wearing a trenchcoat, even.  I loved that it was herring bone patterened.  Still bonded to the wild things.

Margot's style was distinctive, with the high collars, jackets, and blouses.  She gives off a powerful but eccentric vibe.

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Love 1

I loved Margot's look. That second outfit especially looked amazing on her. Great, another character whose wardrobe I am going to inevitably want...

You guys, I miss Will's plaids, jeans, and bulky jacket. I nearly cheered at the return of his black beanie and even though he looks really snazzy and put together now, I can't bring myself not to hate it. Missing the curls was one thing, but this is getting ridiculous. I don't know what's wrong with me, please send help

• Love 2

Not ridiculous...'ridiculously' pretty as in extremely pretty. The dark beanie makes those big blue eyes look even bigger and bluer, and works wonders for that creamy skin too. But I'm teetering on the edge of outright perving, here :)

• Love 1

I'm hoping that next season mixes things up a bit, fashion-wise. It would be fun to see Hannibal in disguise in a more casual look, with stubble or facial hair, perhaps unconsciously aping Will's dress style. And, being proudly shallow, tighter pants on Will would be very welcome.

• Love 2
(edited)

I loved that both Will and Hannibal wore plaid.  Will's casual outdoorsy shirts and Hannibal's dapper therapist suits - different types of plaid but it still showed how they connected, what their power balance was, and how they mirrored each other.  A clever bit of costuming.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 2
I always look forward to Freddie--she is all sharp angles and swirls--giving her a very "wired" look

I like that she will sometimes wear stuff that is jarring: over-patterned, or in slightly bad taste.  It makes her stand out and underlines her role as a deliberate irritant.

Hannibal's suits are bizarre.  He's always impeccably tailored and turned out - but the colours and patterns!!  Maybe it's like a hiding in plain sight thing?  His suits are technically conservative, establishment, part of the norm - but the colours and patterns point to his true nature?

• Love 2

I think the costumer said that Hannibal was started off with lighter and neutral colors so he'd appear non-threatening and trustworthy, then his colors got darker and deeper as more of his sinister nature was revealed.

• Love 3

I really like that detail. 

I do love how out there his outfits occasionally are.  Was he actually wearing a velvet coat and a cravat at his big dinner party?

Everything on this show is thought out. How is it they don't win awards? I never thought about the two kinds of plaid! Ya'll are smart.

Margot had amazing clothes. And good hair. Lots of good hair on this show.

If they are filming in October here is hoping to see Mads in full sunlight and tan and blond. And Will can be pale and delicate again. With the beanie. Love the beanie.

Edited by jeansheridan

It's fun to re-watch the pilot, and see how ill-fitting the suits are on Mikkelsen, and cheap-looking. I guess they didn't have tailoring in the budget!  They definitely stepped up Hannibal's nattiness in subsequent eps.  

• Love 2

So many pilots are like that. And pilots are often filmed months before the second ep. I am impressed with continuity people. Will on the other hand looked a wreak from day one! I so love that there is a reason for it from the get go..

Speaking of looks, I was very happy to see Mason in a mask. I think it is both creepy and practical. Less make up to fuss with. Plus he seems less incapacitated than in the books. A slightly more functioning Mason will be easier to play.

(edited)

I love striped suits, if the stripes are barely noticable. This*...when I'm finally ok with the plaid suits....I'll have to get used to this.

ETA:

*I tried to link an image. I am kind of glad I can't!

Edited by unworried well

I'm not spoiled for season 3 other than the promos (which I watched obsessively last night).  I think I'm gonna like Mads clothes this season but his look isn't as different as I had hoped.  Then again, Mads is fairly distinctive looking.  Might be hard to change him up other than making more or less handsome, depending on the mood of the scene. 

Will appears to have slightly longer hair again, so you fans of the scruff should be happy.

(edited)

That striped suit last night was the worst thing Hannibal has ever worn. Even worse than...

The hat.  Oh my God, the hat.

tumblr_n4mdwiz4El1s3h6j4o2_250.gif

Which was in turn worse than the fleece-jacket-under-your-suit from season 1.

Edited by Crossbow
  • Love 3

Heh, I loved his opening look with Bedelia, an almost polyester looking silk 70's shirt, with NO TIE, and his floppy hair, it was very ABBA circa Summer Night City! Which I took as a continuation of his lack of fastidiousness, lack of focus and control which will lead to him being caught.

• Love 2