Type keyword(s) to search

AHS: Hotel Casting & Info: Something Wicked This Way Comes?

• Start Topic

Is anyone else tired of seeing Sarah Paulson as main character? I didn't mind her in asylum because she was new but after coven and Freak show I just wish she take a backseat for the season and allow the other actors take center stage. Also I kinda felt they repeated coven and freak show same storylines for Sarah Paulson.

I just no more for awhile...

• Love 1

I don't know, I don't mind her. It's possible her role in Hotel will be smaller because she's in some other Ryan Murphy show anyway. I do find it funny all of her characters remained alive after the finale and I wish it would continue. I like this kind of meta stuff, like Evan Peters' and Taissa Farmiga's characters being in love in two seasons, some similarities in Jessica Lange's characters, etc.

Ryan said she is suppose to be the bad girl this season. At least that is something different but I have to be honest I was hoping she wouldn't be in this season. She is a favorite of Ryan's so the chance of her being gone was slim.

• Love 1

*Sign

I remember Freak show they said the same thing when she had two heads. You never saw two headed Sarah Paulson! A whole new role!

I might not watch it on the lines alone...If she going to have a main supporting part on the simple fact I'm tired of seeing her then the show writting.

I'm pleased with the casting thus far. I'm absolutely delighted that Emma is out this season. It will be interesting to see Evan minus her and Taissa. I could do without Denis O'Hare. I find his characters absolutely repulsive and unwatchable. He's a very good actor, but I just can't handle him on this show.

I bet actors are scrambling to get on this show. If you do a semi-decent job, RM is going to have you back. He's even written another role for CS who bad mouthed her experience in Asylum.

• Love 2

So far I had been happy about the cast until I heard Emma Roberts say in an interview for Scream Queens that she thinks and hopes she might be in the end of the season of Hotel  She feels after SQ wraps she could go work on Hotel some. I know it would only be a few episodes but I really do not want to see her at all. I have never understood what Ryan thinks is so great about her. I hope it doesn't happen.

• Love 7
(edited)

Another love triangle. Groundbreaking. 

Its being reported Evan and Emma have broken up. So that is nice lol.

More S5 News- Denis O'Hare has signed on for the new season.  "Everybody in the show is very excited about this season, Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters particularly because in every season thus far they've always been sort of the heroes, the good guy or the good lady so to speak, and this season they're playing absolute evil villains," Murphy says. "So they're very excited about that and I think people will really enjoy it,

"Before, we've always been very driven by the Jessica Lange character," Murphy says. "She was always the lead character. This year, it's a true ensemble and I think we have more male parts and more male stories. The Wes Bentley part is really big, the Matt Bomer part is really big; Evan Peters and Finn Wittrock are really big. That's not to say that the women aren't either; I mean Kathy Bates and Gaga and Paulson's part and Angela Bassetts part are great. But I guess it's a different tone this year than we've had."

Edited by ShadowHunter
(edited)

Ugh, I cannot stand Finn Witrock's performances.  I think I might have to sit this AHS out if he's the dominant actor.

He's got that snotty, mean-girl smile and a shitty demeanor.  Whether that was just playing ManBaby last year or it's so integral to the actor that he just can't help it -- I'm MUCH too old to find that remotely appealing.  Gah.  Awful shit.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

If the triangle actually involves Bomer and Gaga's characters being hot for Wittrock and the end result is Wittrock/Bomer, I'd be down with that. Lana aside, it's actually pretty shocking how the gay characters have either been uninteresting and evil (Stanley, Dell for the most part) or basically sexless/background characters (Chad, Patrick, Quentin) etc.

I just want one gay male character on this show who is likeable and isn't killed off within a few episodes and given how many characters we're having in Hotel, I actually don't think that's too much to ask for.

• Love 4

Boomer and Wittrock both falling for Lady Gaga? That is the most hilarious thing I have ever heard. They could've at least cast someone pretty for the part, like Katy Perry or Taylor Swift if they need to have a pop star. Glad Evan Peters broke up with Emma Roberts and hope she doesn't ever come back to AHS.

Ryan's tweet about who will Gaga choose I mean it sounds like a YA novel lol. 

I am in though for Evan being a villain and I like Wes so I look forward to what he will do. 

It seems to me Hotel will be a season more about men like Coven was more with the woman.  I know Ryan said the woman have stuff to do but I think the boys may run around more lol.

• Love 1

That might not be a bad thing in a way. Murder House, Asylum and Freak Show were fairly general balanced, Coven definitely female centred so Hotel possibly being male centred, as long as the writing is good and the women don't fall into generic roles.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm kind of happy Max Greenfield will be on! Hopefully, he gets something to do. 

"Everybody in the show is very excited about this season, Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters particularly because in every season thus far they've always been sort of the heroes, the good guy or the good lady so to speak, and this season they're playing absolute evil villains," Murphy says. "So they're very excited about that and I think people will really enjoy it,"

I find this really puzzling. Because seriously, what about Tate? I thought that was easily Evan's best performance on this show, but that character was very far from being a good guy/hero. Oh well, I'm really  glad he's returning to the villain role.  I just hope (naively at this point) that he doesn't get saddled with a misguided, boring storyline this year. 

Edited by Beezel
  • Love 3

Lavinia Fisher would be great, however isn't this season set in Los Angeles? Wonder how she will move from 19th century Charleston to contemporary LA. Maybe in flashbacks.

I hope Naomi Campbell's character gets tortured and killed by whoever the main villain is. That will be interesting to watch.

I'm kind of happy Max Greenfield will be on! Hopefully, he gets something to do.

I find this really puzzling. Because seriously, what about Tate? I thought that was easily Evan's best performance on this show, but that character was very far from being a good guy/hero. Oh well, I'm really glad he's returning to the villain role. I just hope (naively at this point) that he doesn't get saddled with a misguided, boring storyline this year.

I was as puzzled as you when I first read that. Evan in the first season played a complete sociopath who murdered a bunch of kids when he was alive, murdered a bunch of people as a ghost in the house and raped the mother of the girl he supposedly loved. How can of any of that be described as being the "good guy".

That comment by Murphy is indicative, in my opinion, of what is wrong with his writing and why his shows that may start well, ultimately go down the crapper. The guy barely seems to pay attention to what happens on his show so there's often little consistency. AHS works so far because every season starts another story.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Darren Criss? Ugh! Is Ryan Murohy going to cast every "Glee" actor on AHS? If so, he should at least cast someone good like Jane Lynch or Dot-Marie Jones.

Edited by Mattipoo

Lavinia Fisher would be great, however isn't this season set in Los Angeles? Wonder how she will move from 19th century Charleston to contemporary LA. Maybe in flashbacks.

I hope Naomi Campbell's character gets tortured and killed by whoever the main villain is. That will be interesting to watch.

So...you worked for Naomi, I take it? ;-p

• Love 1

I am no fan of Darren Criss or Naomi Campbell and I hope they only do 1-2 episodes but even that is too many.

Mädchen Amick has been added as well. I was a big Twin peaks fan so this is cool and I love Lily so I am glad she is back and I hope she does more then just a few episodes. 

My issue though is this cast is getting huge. I still feel the first season had the best balance of cast.  The more people he keeps adding the more plots he has and well Ryan doesn't do well with 20 plots going. 

Good Lord, how large is this ensemble cast going to be?

While I think Jessica Lange's characters were problematic, she did somewhat anchor Season 4 and just having Ryan Murphy have a sausage fest of similar "type" male actors (Matt Bomer, West Bentley, Finn Witrock, Cheyenne Jackson, Max Greenfield, etc ) could be a generic trainwreck.

I think it's hedging things if Gaga's acting doesn't work out, though what's wrong with making Kathy Bates the new lead anchor character.

Who everyone is actually playing this season ....

Lady Gaga, as told by Ryan Murphy: “Her character’s name is Elizabeth. She owns the hotel, and she is sort of a very wealthy social doyenne who is consumed with art and fashion and people and she has a nefarious plan that is revealed in the first episode and plays out over the course of the season. She starts shooting on Monday.”

Sarah Paulson: “My character this year is quite dark. I think she’s sexy. She’s a drug addict, and not that drug addicts are sexy, but this girl happens to be quite sexy. She’s got a thing. I don’t think it’s like anything I’ve done on this show … I play Sally, I live at the hotel. I hate Iris in a rather ancient way for reasons that are revealed quickly. I have kind of budding something with Wes’s character. It’s sort of dark and, sorry, you don’t know this yet.”

Angela Bassett: “I play Ramona Royale, and I’m sexy as well, yet not in a drug addicty kind of way. And I have a very strong real lasting relationship with [Lady Gaga’s] character. And my character is also this fabulous actress. I don’t live at the hotel, but I vist there a lot.”

Kathy Bates: “I play Iris. I run the hotel. I have relationships with Matt Bomer and with Wes, and I can’t stand [sarah Paulson], I hate you. And I don’t know yet if I get to work with Angela, I hope I do. And Liz Taylor and I have a very close relationship, and I do crossword puzzles in my spare time.”

Chloë Sevigny: “I play Alex, and I’m the wife of Wes Bentley, and a mother and a doctor and dealing with a great loss that we had in our family and coming to grips with that, among other things.”

Matt Bomer: “I play Donovan, who is closely associated with Ms. Gaga and Ms. Bates, and Mr. Wittrock, amongst others. And he has very interesting relationships with the lady folk in his life.”

Finn Wittrock: “I’m playing a male model named Tristan Duffy who’s always looking for the next high. And I think he sort of finds his biggest high in Lady Gaga, and they have a lot to do together. She sees all of me.”

Cheyenne Jackson: “Will Drake, fashion icon. He’s trying to creatively reestablish himself, so he moves from New York to Los Angeles. A father, and a little desperate.”

Denis O’Hare: “I’m playing Liz Taylor, movie icon. I’m not actually playing Elizabeth Taylor, but I’m playing a person who is inspired by the awesomeness of things like Butterfield 8 and Cleopatra and eye makeup like that. And I shaved my head for the part and other body parts. I work in the hotel, I work with Kathy, and I work in the bar.”

Wes Bentley: “I play Detective John Lowell, I’m married to Chloe’s character. We had a great loss in the family. Investigating some grisly murders, which somehow leads me to checking into the hotel.”

Murphy confirmed that “people that you have known from other seasons” will check into the hotel this year. He also revealed that the hotel in question is set in downtown Los Angeles, and the show will deal with “a lot of American horrors.” Murphy recalled the anecdote that inspired the season: “There was a surveillance video that went around two years ago that showed a girl getting into an elevator in a hotel that was said to be haunted … and she was never seen again.”

The 13-episode season premieres on October 7

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/07/american-horror-story-hotel-lady-gaga?hootPostID=5bb11a7ea1e028097b633da8bcdc08c8

It gets better ....

Happy Halloween

Finally, Murphy has revealed a few details about the annual two-part Halloween episode, this year titled “Devil’s Night.”

“Our Halloween episode this year is called ‘Devil’s Night.’ I’m directing it because I love the script so much, I said I can’t give this to anybody else,” says Murphy. “Lily Rabe is coming to that episode and she’s playing Aileen Wuornos, which is really fun and bizarre. I will tell you that she’s at the centerpiece of that Halloween episode.”

Wuornos is the notorious serial killer who murdered seven men in Florida between in 1989-90. She was portrayed on screen in the 2003 film “Monster,” a role for which Charlize Theron won an Academy Award.

http://zap2it.com/2015/08/american-horror-story-hotel-halloween-max-greenfield-spoilers/

Edited by darkestboy
  • Love 1

So Lady Gaga is really the lead then? Sounds like her role of "wealthy social doyenne who is consumed with art and fashion" could have been played better by Jessica Lange herself, since that was essentially her characters in "Coven" and "Freak Show". Ugh!

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 2

I wouldn't be surprised if Lange ended up appearing briefly in the finale as an older version of Gaga's character.

Going by his recent interviews, it does seem like Murphy is determined to get Lange back on the show. I think he may succeed too.

Edited by darkestboy
  • Love 1

Is anyone else tired of seeing Sarah Paulson as main character? I didn't mind her in asylum because she was new but after coven and Freak show I just wish she take a backseat for the season and allow the other actors take center stage. Also I kinda felt they repeated coven and freak show same storylines for Sarah Paulson.

I just no more for awhile...

I feel the same about Evan Peters.

It's not that I'm the biggest Gaga fan in the world, but didn't anyone see her at the Emmys?  She was old-school Hollywood elegant and left all those people with their chains and sequins and bright yellow feathers in the dust.

I bet she's going to be terrific in this.  I'd match her up with Angela Bassett, if anyone asked me.  : )

Television was boring all summer long and now I've seen about a dozen pilots that struck me as mediocre/retreads.  The Walking Dead and American Horror Story still seem to have some imagination left to pull out of the hopper.

• Love 4