Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Happy New Year

• Start Topic

Sean is such a turkey.  He basically agreed to anything that he thought he would get him on TV.  Davina may be high maintenance, but she's not been proven to be a liar.  He's like one of those guys who cheats in a relationship and his excuse is that he got scared because the relationship was getting too intimate too fast.  

• Love 12

The biggest difference I see between Ryan and Jaclyn and the other two couples is that Ryan and Jaclyn seem to have fun together.

The previews make me nervous though.

So why the hell did Jessica say she liked to cook if she won't cook?  Her passive-aggressive act is just ridiculous.  All you have to do is buy a few groceries and cook a damn pot of pasta.  Seriously, what is her problem? 

I said last week I don't believe a word she says, she just wanted to be on TV for the exposure.  I think that even more now. 

• Love 7

I said it last week, I'll say it again - Jessica wants everything to come to her.  She is unwilling to make any effort.  My mother would say she is going into this with her ass.  She is so focused on trying to find fault with Ryan that she invents things in order to make him the villain and herself the victim.  I believe him that he would not "steal" the money.  He was probably short on cash and borrowed it.  She assumed he took it and didn't intend to give it back.  Why would he need to take any money?  He makes plenty of money.  She really needs to get a grip.  I get it that the situation is causing them inordinate stress but man, her issues go way beyond that.  And BTW, Mr. Snarklepuss can act that way about things like ironing on the bed - I just tell him to go stuff it.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  Ryan can be a bit intrusive but I would probably act like his grandmother and just tell him to go blow.  He'd probably love it and just back off.

• Love 5

The previews make me nervous though.

My DVR cut off the previews, so I didn't see the Ryan/Jaclyn part. But I just have a good feeling about those two. 

Now, if I was Jessica? No way in hell would I stay with her Ryan. In fact, I probably wouldn't even finish the experiment. More power to her if she sticks it out, but I'd walk. 

Edited by I-Kare
  • Love 4

Anyone else laugh when they saw Maria ironing on the bed in Arranged?  I could imagine Ryan D. having a fit watching that! Also, I have ironed on beds a million times. Ryan D. is an ass.

• Love 6

After you watch this episode...

you will crave sushi

feel bad for the teen bride on Arranged

is that a stunt house or is that really the exterior of Jacklyn's and Ryan's place

That looked like good sushi!  That house was typical Astoria, so I believe it's their house.

• Love 1

My DVR cut off the previews, so I didn't see the Ryan/Jaclyn part. But I just have a good feeling about those two.

Now, if I was Jessica? No way in hell would I stay with her Ryan. In fact, I probably wouldn't even finish the experiment. More power to her if she sticks it out, but I'd walk.

It seems like there are issues with Ryan being so far from home and the travel. It kind of seems like that clip about his long commute is from that episode.

It seems like there are issues with Ryan being so far from home and the travel. It kind of seems like that clip about his long commute is from that episode.

Okay, gotcha. I can definitely see that as being an issue. 

Okay, gotcha. I can definitely see that as being an issue.

I know. But I hope they can work it out! He's definitely still based out of Long Island. I saw his real estate page and he just got some listings in Port Jeff and other areas in Suffolk.

Ryan D think he can say whatever and she has to take it. He blew up when she mentioned the money because he wants people to think he has all this cash. He's a poser. What's with Jessica not cooking though? I don't get it

• Love 9

Jessica is nothing but a downer.  She is not focused on making Ryan happy.  She has a "what have you done for me lately?" attitude.  I don't blame him for being tired of her constant haranguing and put downs and walking out.  Who wants to put up with that?  She needs to stop bringing her baggage from past relationships into this one.   She is making his intrusiveness look like a minor annoyance by comparison.  She is too focused on what he's doing to slight her all the time.  He's not that bad but of course she makes him look much worse than he really is.  She blows everything he does way out of proportion.  Big bad Ryan, OMG, you'd think he was some kind of nasty wife beater or something the way she makes him out to be.  Again, HER baggage from previous relationships.  I feel sorry for him because she is making him look like a real ass on the show.  And I don't think he's half that bad.  She's not giving him a chance to listen to her because she's too busy accusing him all the time.  How can he react like a decent guy when she does that?  All she has succeeded in doing is pissing him off, and I don't blame him.  If I were him I'd be pissed off too.  Only I probably wouldn't be so nice as to walk out of the room.  I'd probably tell her off.

• Love 4

I've come to the conclusion that Sean is a very small man, in several ways. I'm detecting a highly disingenuous person. He is always "on," in that I feel he's performing, speaking to, playing for the camera AND the crew.

His "reality show" ambitions and proclivities were nicely illustrated at their New Years Eve dinner, when Sean proclaimed to Davina, "will you accept this rose?" With quite a flourish, too.

Oh, and I've had MORE than enough of a grown man with gray hair bemoaning his childhood bullying. We are all products of our experiences and I'm sensitive to that fact. In this venue, to me, Sean comes across as an excuse-maker, crybaby, attention glutton.

Jessica and Ryan D are both too immature and self-centered for marriage. They can't communicate because neither one truly listens to the other. Each person may be hearing but neither is listening.

I did find it interesting tonight that when Ryan D once again invoked his perception of his grandparents' PERFECT relationship, he used the example of papa yelling, "just do it and shut up!" To grams! Ha!

I'm getting more and more uncomfortable observing the golden couple of Jaclyn and RyanR. She does remind me of the new Jamie Otis in herr efforts to portray her true love and happiness. Something or everything seems forced and camera-ready.

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 9

Luckily, Ryan and Jessica live above the sushi place, so easy to run down for dinner.

Instead of witholding sex, she's withholding home cooking.

Jessica made a big mistake of accusing Ryan of not respecting their wedding money.

He probably just wanted to have cash in his wallet and would replace it next time he had a bundle.

He may be a blustering blowhard but a hundy is peanuts to him.

I see no problem with Jacklyn/Ryan living in seperately a few nights/week if the commutes turn out to be too much for their careers.

I don't think Davina would tolerate it since it doesn't go with the fairy tale aspect of a marriage.

• Love 7

I did find it interesting tonight that when Ryan D once again invoked his perception of his grandparents' PERFECT relationship, he used the example of papa yelling, "just do it and shut up!" To grams! Ha!

I know! I was like HOLY CRAP if that's what he thinks makes a perfect relationship!!? I have no clue what to even say to something like that. But it did explain a *lot* of things about him, so at least it was insightful.

• Love 16

Luckily, Ryan and Jessica live above the sushi place, so easy to run down for dinner.

Hah, although I thought they live above a mozzarella store.

I know! I was like HOLY CRAP if that's what he thinks makes a perfect relationship!!? I have no clue what to even say to something like that. But it did explain a *lot* of things about him, so at least it was insightful.

I think Ryan has to realize that what worked for his grandparents is not necessarily going to work for him.  It seems like a very immature attitude to think you can imitate the superficial aspects of your relatives' relationships in order to succeed in your own.  He has to learn to just be himself and not put on an act.  I question his readiness for marriage if he doesn't realize this stuff yet.  Then again I question Jessica's readiness too.

I've come to the conclusion that Sean is a very small man, in several ways. I'm detecting a highly disingenuous person. He is always "on," in that I feel he's performing, speaking to, playing for the camera AND the crew.

His "reality show" ambitions and proclivities were nicely illustrated at their New Years Eve dinner, when Sean proclaimed to Davina, "will you accept this rose?" With quite a flourish, too.

Oh, and I've had MORE than enough of a grown man with gray hair bemoaning his childhood bullying. We are all products of our experiences and I'm sensitive to that fact. In this venue, to me, Sean comes across as an excuse-maker, crybaby, attention glutton.

I agree with you completely.  He has reality TV ambitions.  He totally pictures himself as the next Bachelor.  As for his bullying issues, he needs to stop using it as a crutch.  It happened many years ago.  If he's not going to get therapy for his issues surrounding that time in his life, he has to stop using it as his "Get out of jail" card.

• Love 6

I question his readiness for marriage if he doesn't realize this stuff yet.  Then again I question Jessica's readiness too.

I question anyone's readiness for marriage if they seek a spouse on a reality tv show. =D

• Love 10

Yes I gasped when Jessica threw out the $100 accusation. Bad. She started going for the kitchen-sink jugular, and Ryan threatened to do the same. Uncomfortable to watch!

Dear Experts, you all sound like a bunch of asses.

• Love 6

I think Ryan knows Jessica better than she would like to think. I got the sense that he was kind of provoking her on purpose with the ironing thing, because he knows she will ignore conflict and he was just trying to push for something.

That is not the healthiest way to go about conflict, but neither is Jessica's.

• Love 1
What's with Jessica not cooking though? I don't get it.

She said that she wasn't cooking for Ryan because she didn't like the way he talked to her. Not that she's passive aggressive or anything.

I feel like I actually get some of the communication issues between Jessica & Ryan. When Ryan said his grandfather would yell at his grandmother to 'shut up and just do it', my guess is his grandmother would probably just roll her eyes and do as she pleased. If they had a long and happy marriage (as Ryan has described it) it was probably a dynamic that worked for them. But it doesn't work for Jessica because she's too sensitive to conflict. In my family growing up, there was never any yelling between my parents or at the kids. We weren't even allowed to say 'shut up' to someone because my parents thought it was disrespectful. As a result, I am very sensitive to someone losing their temper or yelling at me. I have a hard time getting over it and I think Jessica is the same way. For Ryan, he's used to people yelling and arguing and then quickly moving on. Too bad the experts didn't figure out this would be a problem for them.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 11

I question anyone's readiness for marriage if they seek a spouse on a reality tv show. =D

Hah, actually Ryan and Jaclyn appear to be ready for marriage, but I say "appear" because I find myself agreeing with the people who think there's something a little too forced about their relationship.  Then again Jaclyn couldn't hide her genuine reaction when Ryan was going on about wanting kids someday.  She was genuinely touched, I could see her melting before my eyes.  I hope they are for real and make it!

• Love 1

Jessica and Ryan should have taken the apartment that had the bedroom across the hall from the living room and kitchen.

Then they could retire to their own neutral corners after their latest round of fighting.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 9

These "experts" are nothing but jokes, as evidenced by these sinking ships. 

Ryan D. has had bad relationship models but that's no excuse for being a dick. Sick of him.

I agree with you about these three experts. I don't think they know their ass from their elbows as far as matching up people. They seem to choose two total opposites and get some sort of sick kick out of watching the couples flounder, fight and fail. Hey, that's not a bad name for this series 'Flounder, Fight and Fail'.

• Love 10

She said that she wasn't cooking for Ryan because she didn't like the way he talked to her. Not that she's passive aggressive or anything.

I feel like I actually get some of the communication issues between Jessica & Ryan. When Ryan said his grandfather would yell at his grandmother to 'shut up a just do it', my guess is his grandmother would probably just roll her eyes and do as she pleased. If they had a long and happy marriage (as Ryan has described it) it was probably a dynamic that worked for them. But it doesn't work for Jessica because she's too sensitive to conflict. In my family growing up, there was never any yelling between my parents or at the kids. We weren't even allowed to say 'shut up' to someone because my parents thought it was disrespectful. As a result, I am very sensitive to someone losing their temper or yelling at me. I have a hard time getting over it and I think Jessica is the same way. For Ryan, he's used to people yelling and arguing and then quickly moving on. Too bad the experts didn't figure out this would be a problem for them.

OMG, I had this issue with Mr. Snarklepuss when we first got married.  I come from one of those in your face, let it all hang out Sicilian families where one minute you're fighting and the next you're kissing and making up.  Mr. Snarklepuss' family is very WASPy and when he first saw my mom and I together he couldn't handle it.  He came from a family where once you say something it can never be taken away, while in my family everyone tells everyone else to shut up and they just forget it a minute later.  Then again, My dad came from a WASPy family, so I was a little of both worlds in one.  It wasn't until a few years later when he went into partnership with a couple of men of Italian descent and got to know their families that Mr. Snarklepuss started to "get" that way of being.

I think Ryan's grandparents, who were likely of Jewish descent probably had a similar relationship to so many great Jewish couples I have known personally and seen depicted on TV.  I can understand why he idolized them, but he really needs to live in reality in his own life, not in his fantasy of someone else's.

I agree with you about these three experts. I don't think they know their ass from their elbows as far as matching up people. They seem to choose two total opposites and get some sort of sick kick out of watching the couples flounder, fight and fail. Hey, that's not a bad name for this series 'Flounder, Fight and Fail'.

I really don't think the experts understand how to pick people.  You can't expect someone to fill the holes in someone else.  I honestly wish they'd use different experts next season because everyone knows these people are quacks.  

• Love 10

I feel like I actually get some of the communication issues between Jessica & Ryan. When Ryan said his grandfather would yell at his grandmother to 'shut up a just do it', my guess is his grandmother would probably just roll her eyes and do as she pleased. If they had a long and happy marriage (as Ryan has described it) it was probably a dynamic that worked for them. But it doesn't work for Jessica because she's too sensitive to conflict. In my family growing up, there was never any yelling between my parents or at the kids. We weren't even allowed to say 'shut up' to someone because my parents thought it was disrespectful. As a result, I am very sensitive to someone losing their temper or yelling at me. I have a hard time getting over it and I think Jessica is the same way. For Ryan, he's used to people yelling and arguing and then quickly moving on. Too bad the experts didn't figure out this would be a problem for them.

I have to agree with you about the 'shut up' thing. People are raised differently of course and in some families, like the one that Ryan grew up with, those words were used frequently and casually it seems. I also was raised in a family that never used the words 'shut up' to us kids. And, when I raised my own kids, I'd say 'be quiet' and never 'shut up' because to me it just sounded so harsh. I think Jessica is sensitive to being spoken to in that way and feels it's hurtful to her, not to mention very disrespectful as well. I can empathize with her on that.

• Love 5

Davina DOES have a point about her being very up front about not leaving Manhattan... however, she made that clear to the "experts". Sean probably did not expect to be paired with someone that would not budge from that distance so perhaps he did not specify he would not go that far. But still, that issue it seems like they both should get the "experts" missed the mark here on the distance. But Sean... he wants to be on TV and should not be in a marriage. So any negative comments directed at Sean and he goes back to his bullying days? What?! Look, life is hard for everyone. Especially if you're as annoying as Sean. 

Ryan D's constant talk of his grandparents has made me wonder if his grandfather was a jerk. Tonight he said his grandfather used to tell his grandmother to shut up. So, I said to my mom, who I watch with, sounds like maybe I'm right. But she countered with but we don't know how long into the marriage he started in like that, and then we ended up laughing about my grandfather's "offer" to bury my nana back in her homeland of England by saying he'd "flush twice", and how that could sound horrible/strange to "outsiders", but again, they were married over 50yrs (both have been gone many years.) It's entirely possible Ryan D isn't smart enough to get that you can't just treat someone you just met the way you've seen an established couple act. If Jessica doesn't want to fight in a moment, that's her choice but bringing up something later on with a guy like Ryan is just going to be so much worse because all that will do is give him ammo to accuse her of holding grudges. I did not understand the issue with the wedding money. They got more than $100, right? It kinda sounded like he took $100 out of the money because he needed cash, like he was too lazy to go to the ATM and that was there... I am also unclear on when he did that. Which again, if that bothered Jessica, waiting to bring it up later in a fight is not avoiding a fight, its putting it off. I don't get what the big deal is either if he just did it in the moment. I hate that this is sounding pro-Ryan. Not my intention at all. He's awful.

My mom randomly said she thinks Jessica and Jason from last season could have worked as a couple.

Still really like Ryan and Jaclyn!

• Love 4

As friendly and comfortable as they are becoming, I still see Ryan R. continuing to pull back and withhold from Jaclyn. Whereas Doug was able to roll with Jamie's punches and maintain his crush on and desire for her, Ryan seems like he hasn't fully forgiven Jaclyn for some of the things she said and they way she initially treated him. Jaclyn is a lot to handle, both in affection or disaffection modes. Miss grabby-grabby. Every episode reinforces to me again that the experts mismatched the Ryans with the wrong women.

I'm starting to FF through all of the Sean/Davina shit, mostly because I can't abide him. I'm sympathetic to mental health issues and garden variety neuroses, but I blame Sean for not being self-aware enough to realize his limitations. Stop sniveling! He seems to be a glossy shell with no inner core. Or maybe he thought his panic attacks and fear of leaving his neighborhood would endear him to reality show casting directors. It's not The Amazing Race and Survivor require a lot of grit and adventurousness or anything.

• Love 5

Ryan D's constant talk of his grandparents has made me wonder if his grandfather was a jerk. Tonight he said his grandfather used to tell his grandmother to shut up. So, I said to my mom, who I watch with, sounds like maybe I'm right. But she countered with but we don't know how long into the marriage he started in like that, and then we ended up laughing about my grandfather's "offer" to bury my nana back in her homeland of England by saying he'd "flush twice", and how that could sound horrible/strange to "outsiders", but again, they were married over 50yrs (both have been gone many years.) It's entirely possible Ryan D isn't smart enough to get that you can't just treat someone you just met the way you've seen an established couple act.

I think Jessica's and Ryan's communication styles are different.  Neither one is disrespectful or better or worse than the other.  I just think that for them given their state of maturity at this point, it might be too hard for them to learn to understand each other without always conflicting.  My husband and I worked it out but we loved each other first before we had to work it out.  They are under a very different set of circumstances, and one which I think will interfere with them working it out.

• Love 1

humbleopinion, on 28 Apr 2015 - 10:49 PM, said:

Hah, although I thought they live above a mozzarella store.

I think Ryan has to realize that what worked for his grandparents is not necessarily going to work for him.  It seems like a very immature attitude to think you can imitate the superficial aspects of your relatives' relationships in order to succeed in your own.  He has to learn to just be himself and not put on an act.  I question his readiness for marriage if he doesn't realize this stuff yet.  Then again I question Jessica's readiness too.

They live above Russo's Mozzarella & Pizza. That's about oh...20 feet from their apartment door and downstairs. So why they have sushi all the time is something I don't understand. Knuckleheads, that's why.

pic1.jpg

These "experts" are nothing but jokes, as evidenced by these sinking ships. 

Ryan D. has had bad relationship models but that's no excuse for being a dick. Sick of him.

We seen evidence of people basically lying on their application (Sean) and Jessica contributing to the downfall of their relationship by letting Ryan steamroll over her (which is what she wanted by the way). So, they gave Jessica what she wanted and they could have not known Sean would basically backtrack on his agreement to move. Neither one of those are the experts fault. They can only work with what they are given.

• Love 1

Davina wouldn't even move to the UWS. Many of the posters picked up on Sean's weirdness pretty quickly and we didn't have hundreds of pages to read. Jessica's talking heads about her ex make it pretty clear that she wants a sensitive, nurturing guy (the opposite of Ryan D.). As far as I know, no one on these forums is an expert or has qualified him/herself as such and most of us have been able to see some fundamental problems with the matches.

Sean's "weirdness" is something many people are projecting on to him because they find him "creepy". The actual facts are that he said he would be fine with moving and then he backtracked on it. Something the experts can't predict. This is the main issue at hand right now (not the only one obviously). And with Jessica, she and the experts have made it clear that she asked for a tough, take charge kind of guy. That's what she was attracted to do. We have literally heard this dozens of times on air. She got what he asked for and she doesn't like it. Again, not the experts fault.

And that's life. You can think you want this that and the other, But, the reality of those choices may be something you truly do not want. The people making the matches can only go by so much. Being dishonest in your application is not going to help you get the match you want.

• Love 1

Oh, how I love my realty tv show guilty pleasures. 

I enjoyed last season so much. I couldn't wait for each new episode.

This season, though, I just don't know. It feels like several people got what they asked for and it's making them crazy. Jessica is just straight up miserable. And I can see that Ryan isn't the nicest, most cuddly teddy bear, but she was very vocal about wanting a take-charge type of guy. That's what she's got now. I don't like either of these two people as individuals and definitely not as a couple.

Davina confuses me. Sean irritates me. I honestly feel like the experts decided that since they both had bullying in their past they'd be great together. No, they're not. I am in no way minimizing the heartache I'm sure they went through as kids/young adults, but they reside too much in the past. People with broken pasts don't necessarily fit into the pieces of someone's present.

I want to believe that Jaclyn is being sincere because I genuinely like Ryan R, but I don't know. I feel like she wants to be this season's Jamie but she's not as vulnerable, open, or sensitive as Jamie was/is. I'm on the fence here. I want to be more invested like I was last season, but so far nothing has clicked.

Maybe Jessica should have been put with Ryan R.
Jaclyn might have worked with the other Ryan.
Davina and Sean need to work their way off my television.

I wonder how Sean managed to make it through casting with him having a fairly recent DUI?

• Love 3

I may be in the minority by thinking these people are not all fame whores nor are they all posing for the cameras. This isn't The Price is Right and the premise itself requires effort, time and commitment, to the process if not each other.

It seems possible that Jaclyn finds laid back Ryan growing on her. As someone above mentioned, they appear to balance each other out. She pounced on him five minutes after the vows about where they would live and he took it in his stride. I also understand his difficulty in leaving his family. I moved out at 20, bought a home at 22 and moved back home when my mom was diagnosed with cancer. He's leaving an older woman and an orphan. He loses no points with me. Ryan got game tonight in his own way by telling her that he thought she was an exceptional person, etc. She lit up like the Jewtina's Christmas tree hearing this. WTG

Ironic that someone who wears his "I've been bullied" bull like a badge was paired with the bulldozer, Davina. What Ryan D. does out of ignorance, Miss D does with carefully worded never ending instructions. She's Agatha Nagatha. These two and their "comfort zones" are exhausting. Not liking either one of them. He's too feminine and she needs to remain alone, maybe forever.

I still think that Ryan "D" was aptly named. His grandpa idol may have been an insensitive disrespectful ass as well. I have to wonder if he acts the same in business world. It's unfortunate that Jessica has to waste so much time worrying about setting him off. Seems whatever she was looking for, he ain't it. There are men who can take charge without belittling you. It also seems she didn't get the memo and the one time she almost voiced her concerns, about being able to talk to him, he walked out again. Like Davina, she loses it in the delivery. This season is starting to make crazy Jamie and delusional Monet look normal. JMHO It will be interesting to see how these three couples end up.

• Love 3

The pool of applicants was 7,000.  One of the experts mentioned this on their Today interview before the season started.  Not large at all.  Right away they eliminate people are not TV attractive.  So let's say that knocks the pool down to 3500 or less.  

Now you have the "I want to be on a reality show" but the others I applied to did not take me, people.  That is definitely Sean, as we know.

Davina was honest on her application.  Moving out of Manhattan was a deal breaker.  She cannot be faulted for that.  

They hit pay dirt with Ryan and Jaclyn.  

At least RyanD recognized he was acting like his grandfather.  Didn't seem to stop him from continuing it though!

Passive aggressive Jessica.  Ugh.  Have dinner ready when he comes home, don't ask him what he wants for dinner, just have something ready for cryin' out loud.   Go downstairs and get some fresh mozzarella for a Caprese salad and make a steak.  How easy is that?  

RyanD was wrong in taking $100 from their wedding money without talking to her about it.  

RyanD and Jessica is a terrible match.  Shame on you experts.  

• Love 1

The pool of applicants was 7,000.  One of the experts mentioned this on their Today interview before the season started.  Not large at all.  Right away they eliminate people are not TV attractive.  So let's say that knocks the pool down to 3500 or less.  

Yeah I love the 7000 applicant figure from the same interview he said he had 3800 pages of data with an average of 150 pages per applicant which means they looked at 26 applicants in depth then wonder why some of the matches don't seem to work. I think using some common sense would have yielded better matches.

• Love 4

Why did they think pairing a aggressive/cocky man (RyanD) with a woman who cannot speak up was a good idea.  They polarize each other and always will.  Your basic personality cannot change enough to accommodate this big of a difference. Nor should it.  We all have things to temper and change but this is just too big.  

Ryan mentioned that he wished Jessica was more like the wife of the visiting friends.  I agree that he needs that type of personality.  He would do well with a woman who could speak up easily and be sassy about it.  How could they not see this?  

Yeah I love the 7000 applicant figure from the same interview he said he had 3800 pages of data with an average of 150 pages per applicant which means they looked at 26 applicants in depth then wonder why some of the matches don't seem to work. I think using some common sense would have yielded better matches.

Ahhhhhhh, you did the math.  Kudos.  :>)

• Love 1

Davina said she wouldn't move out of Manhattan, but the fact that she won't move to a different part of Manhattan is a big deal. She mentioned that her apartment would be worth a lot more money once the subway is built. Where she lives now is extremely inconvenient to NJ. Not that Shawn is any prize, but she's being a pill about there whole relocation thing.

• Love 2

They live above Russo's Mozzarella & Pizza. That's about oh...20 feet from their apartment door and downstairs. So why they have sushi all the time is something I don't understand. Knuckleheads, that's why.

Well, I was able to place where they live - That's a great neighborhood, my best friend lived in Park Slope for several years until last year.  They could fall out of  bed into any number of fantastic restaurants including "Top Chef" star Dale Talde's restaurant, which is on Zagat's best restaurant list for all of NY, and "Applewood", which is on their best restaurant list for Park Slope.  But instead they go to that sushi place down the street, which is probably pretty good, but still, with all the choice around there, you're right, they are knuckleheads!  What would it take to go downstairs and get some fresh pasta?  It cooks up in 2 minutes - ridiculous.

Speaking of that, Ryan hinted around that he "wouldn't mind a home cooked meal" and Jessica says, "I don't like the way you talk to me".  WTF?  Or did they take that comment out of context?  I don't get how she took offense at his hinting around.  That made no sense.

Also, I don't necessarily agree with Jessica's friends that they should be "getting it all out there" about what they don't like about each other.  I think it's too soon for that.  They should be at the sharing and finding things in common stage.  Jessica shouldn't be given even MORE license to find fault with him.  I don't think the relationship is far along enough to handle that, especially under the added stress of already being married.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 3

Davina said she wouldn't move out of Manhattan, but the fact that she won't move to a different part of Manhattan is a big deal. She mentioned that her apartment would be worth a lot more money once the subway is built. Where she lives now is extremely inconvenient to NJ. Not that Shawn is any prize, but she's being a pill about there whole relocation thing.

Do they live in her apartment?  I thought they all had to relocate to neutral ground.   Where in NYC is not subway accessible?  She said she lived on the upper east side.  

This, so much. I was bullied too in school, so were a lot of other kids. Mind you, none of us had our ankles or wrists broken, but given Sean's penchant for stretching the truth, I wonder at the veracity of those claims. The point is, everyone has issues from childhood that they have to overcome or learn to live with in a constructive way. And that shouldn't include constantly referring back to those issues. That's not helpful in any way. One friend's mother, who had substance abuse issues, packed up and left one day while my friend was at school - she was all of 8 years old. My friend went on to be one of the most compassionate, understanding, big-hearted, emotionally mature and successful women I'm privileged to know. Another friend endured years of abuse, including beatings, from his stepmother. Now he's a therapist who has come to terms with his past and is helping others to do the same.

• Love 6

Yes to this too.

I had been suspecting that perhaps their marriage wasn't all wine and roses but more that one of them may have simply been long-suffering. Exactly what did they go through together as a team? Perhaps emigrating to a new country, starting with nothing and building a life for themselves and their family. Or did one of them have a substance abuse issue that the other put up with? Was there infidelity that the other partner put up with? Or abuse? There's a big difference between really pulling together and supporting each other through marriage's and life's ups and downs, and living with serious issues in a marriage but feeling stuck in it with no other options. Distinctions that perhaps a young boy may not have picked up on.

pic1.jpg

I suspect that Ryan doesn't do many carbs. Obviously his fitness regime is stricter than hers is. Did you notice, I think in the preview for next week, his breakfast of peanut butter and banana instead of toast or waffles or pancakes or cereal.

• Love 5

Do they live in her apartment?  I thought they all had to relocate to neutral ground.   Where in NYC is not subway accessible?  She said she lived on the upper east side.  

You're right, they did move to neutral ground. She was living in her "old" apartment but had already bought a new apartment when she was chosen to be on the show. That's why moving elsewhere was a deal breaker for her. They were living in an "interim" apartment a block from her old apartment and three blocks from her new one.

This episode revealed more of the background. Last episode was edited to make her look like a royal pain in the arse but in this episode we saw her say that in a previous conversation (which I don't believe we saw) she had already said that she was willing to raise kids in New Jersey. She also had what seemed to me to be a sensible short-term plan, which was that they'd live in her new apartment, the value of which would increase when the subway extension was completed, then they could use the money from the sale of that to purchase a house in New Jersey in which they could raise their family.  I think this was a two-year plan, if I'm not mistaken. Now, that's a far cry from how she was being portrayed before this, when the editing made her look like a completely selfish, entitled, uncompromising shrew.

I still think she has major issues she needs to deal wit, and I'm not a fan of hers by any stretch, but now I'm even more skeptical of what we're being shown. We're being manipulated as much as the participants were.

Edited to add that her attitude and poutiness deflect her message. The "I needs..." (how many were there? 4 in a row?) seemed to overrun the sensibleness of her plan. Between her poor communication and the poor editing (is it really poor, or is it a bit malicious?), this girl can't win.

Edited by buckbuck
  • Love 11