Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Evermore

That was one of the campiest, most ridiculous, most hilariously awesome hours of TV I've seen in a long time.

LOVED everything about the Joe and Ryan storyline.  HATED everything about Theo and his new girl's storyline (and a major eyeroll at him having control over the prison and her unlocking the other inmates).

But I digress.  I actually got up and applauded when he visualized Joe having a shot of whiskey with him.

So that hour was awesome, but now I feel no need to finish the season.  I suppose that duty still calls, but it's going to be a real trainwreck from here on out.

• Love 3

OMG, Joe Poe! I can't believe they actually went through with it. I kept hoping Ryan would help him escape just like in his dream. And then... road trip! Ryan and Joe's Excellent Adventure or something. That would have rocked!

There's not much point in watching anymore, unless Ryan goes totally all-out crazy. So the toast was a good start. We still have 5 episodes to go, right? Theo and his sister, Mark and Daisy, even Max and Mike are boring now. By the way, didn't the bartender look a lot like Daisy? Would have been funny if it had been her.

• Love 1

Wow.  That was the greatest Following ever.  James Purefoy leaving no scenery unchewed.  Ryan, bloodied and beaten asked how he’s doing, answers “I’m okay” and walks off.  That is top quality bad TV.   Now if only Joe’s last words had been a proclamation of his love for Ryan.

• Love 9

Man Ryan is lucky Joe didn't decide to consummate his relationship with Ryan. Bet he would have if Ryan had told him about the threesome in bed dream.

Who played the sister, Penny?

Creepily, the muzak station here at work is playing "Footloose" as I'm typing this.

What was the point of the whole hostage situation since it came to naught? That said the guy's quick enthusiasm at strapping the gal down when ordered to by Joe was amusing.

• Love 6

That guy was a jerk. I was kinda hoping when he was all 'do what you gotta do, I'll leave you to it' when they took the woman for some "fun" that inmate was going to take him away for the same treatment. He would've been singing a different tune. Ass.

Now the sister's supposedly "special"? She was all worried about T leading them to her. Great. (It seemed like more than just worried about being able to convincingly act surprised and innocent that she has a serial killer for a brother.)

There really was no point in having Max or Mike around this episode...

Edited by indeed
  • Love 1

@Such: seriously! I'm not surprised Natalie Zea was like, eff this, I'm not coming back...but I really did think she was going to airdrop in there somehow and stop the execution.

How this episode managed to be so boring, I don't know, but the recap has pictures of my damn cat in it, it's that bad.

• Love 1

I will not believe Joe is dead until I see them opening him up on the autopsy table.

This was an awesome episode as bad TV goes. I like batshit crazy Ryan. I loved him extending a hand to the woman telling her she's safe now,after he just killed two men in a brutal fashion.

• Love 9

Part of me is still waiting for another shoe to drop (the entire execution team were followers of Joe!  Or Theo somehow used his mad computer skills to mess around with the dosages!), but until then, I guess it's somewhat interesting if Joe really is finally done for.  Without James Purefoy, the entertainment value will go way down, but I guess it's nice that they can finally kill one of these bad guys themselves, and not have to rely on other killers to do so (like Theo killing Strauss.)

What I really want to see is what will happen with Ryan.  Dude is totally buying that he and Joe were soulmates, and is going back to drinking!  Ha!  Stupid Ryan.  I'm not sure what I want them to do.  Part of me wants them to just rip off Dexter and keeping "Joe" around as Ryan's Dark Passenger, goading him into performing evil deeds.  But another part of me just wants Ryan to flat-out have a mental breakdown, and start thinking he's actually Joe Carroll.  I would totally be down for a dark haired, scruffy Kevin Bacon, quoting Poe with a horrible British accent, while everyone stares at him like he's nuts.  Do it show!  No half measures!

Meanwhile, Theo apparently has a sister (played by that Megalyn Echikunwoke, whose name I always have to look up, because I wouldn't be able to spell it to save my life), who isn't a killer, but knows damn well Theo is, and at worst, just whines about why does have to kill all her druggie boyfriends.  Lovely duo, right there.  At least Theo broke the code, and now has the coordinates to find... some dude?  Not sure.  Maybe it's another former Rome cast member!  Or maybe they can get a former popular co-star of Kevin Bacons!  I know!  Get John Lithgow!  He was not only in Footloose, but he played the Trinity Killer on Dexter!  Make it happen, show!

• Love 3

I was going to keep watching until the bitter end (meaning the end of Season 3, which is hopefully the end of the series, knock on wood) anyway, because of: 1. Snookums' entertaining recaps (more enjoyable if I've actually seen the episode), and 2. dream sequence Joe.  Now I can add hallucination Joe and crazy Ryan to the list...

edited to add:

Just saw this disturbing Egg commercial featuring Kevin Bacon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elUNFHEWaCc

Edited by thankyou
  • Love 3

That scene with Ryan toasting Joe was awesome, but it felt like it should have been the the finale scene of the series, not episode 10 of season 3 that may not be the final season.

Gwen is working my nerves so hard, I'm hoping Theo and his sis take her out. I know I know, she's preggers. She's annoying me so much I don't care about that little tid bit.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the casual approach to getting the sister at the crackhouse, unconscious after a 7 day bender, and calling it "partying too much" but somehow I still was. But I like the casting of Megalyn even if I'm uncertain about where this is going with them.

• Love 1

O-kay.

Well! That was--a lot of things!

And frankly, no sarcasm, I must give it to the show that they finally got a shovel and burlap sack and scooped up a lot of this pile of plot wreckage and hauled it off, in double quick time. Given how this damn thing can draaaaaaaaag out the stupidest of plot lines (LAPTOP) they really did get moving on lot of shit.

Now, you may be expecting me to weep and wail over the passing of Joe to that Great Beyond, much as I bewailed Max in the first season of Under The Dome (Natalie Zea! Six degrees and all that shit!) but I will not, for reasons I'll get into. HOWever. That does not mean that I won't break out the old Drama Llama and give it a trot 'round the meadow when I feel the need, okay? So, here we go, onward and...not really upward...or downward either....sideward? Onward and sideward!

Previouslys outlining the whole Ryan/Jow smoochathon, Gwen sobbing (UGH GWEN) Theo's failed play to get the code thingabobble, etc etc etc, and we're in.

Virgina State Prison, Execution Day. Dozens of extras pile out of their cars in the freezing cold to mark this auspicious occasion, most carrying signs declaring how insanely joyous they'll be after Joe is turned into a lump of dead flesh. (You can tell it's TV because all of the signs are neatly lettered and spelled correctly.) I'm betting Gwen's boss is prudently keeping his distance from this crowd. Shots of the execution chamber and witness room, prep of the lethal chemicals, etc., and we cut to Joe, a grey bump under his blankets, putting the finishing touches on his sunglasses shiv. This guy always has a project. 

Joe hears his final meal being brought in and quickly stashes his surprise,  not deigning to answer the guard who announces "welcome to the last day of your life." He settles for a Meaningful Look To Camera as we go to title card. Ohhhh, professional to the end.

Cut to Ryan's Living Room of Grit-Toothed Repression, where his giant TV is broadcasting news of the big day. (I just adore how the logo thingie says BREAKING NEWS. I'm pretty sure this is the opposite of breaking news. I cannot even fathom what would have to go down to convince the networks to cut away from this story.) Anyway, Ryan's looking all strained and tense, as is his wont, but it's really ramped up to eleven and understandably so. The phone rings and he strides over, but after one glance at the screen unplugs it altogether. I honestly don't see why it took him this long to do that; as he tells the entering Gwen, reporters have been calling for statements all morning and he's at the point where he hopes Theo's cyber attack shuts it down. (Say, speaking of, Theo's kinda been slacking on that. I guess it can take awhile to bounce back from having your elaborately set up Guard Idiot be murdered by Walking Ego Joe, but dude, c'mon.)

Ryan says he made breakfast but it might be a little cold, and Gwen turns the same  color as her shirt as she thinks of eating clammy scrambled eggs on preggers stomach, blech. Mr. Sensitive doesn't notice, of course, because he's still watching TV, where the anchor is giving him shit for not attending the execution. MAN, Ryan Hardy just gets the nags from the whole damn universe, doesn't he? I mean, is it usual for the agents responsible for capturing a felon to attend their final day? Seriously, I don't know but I can't believe people would think Ryan's begging off would be inexplicable.

Gwen shuts off the Bitch At Ryan box and says hey, let's ditch this noise and go to a movie! Good idea, I bet Fast and Furious 7 is playing! She seems to mean well so Ryan doesn't roll his eyes too much but says he'd be climbing the walls in five minutes. Also? He's got this other serial killer to catch? The one that's buying him speedboats and reporting his cars stolen and stuff? So, gotta bag on the movie, sorry. Too bad, Vin Deisel is awesome. I bet his left bicep could catch Theo.

Ryan gives Gwen a kiss and says he'll call later. Gwen plots as to exactly which minute today would be best to break the impending daddy news.

Cut to Joe doing deep breathing exercises in his cell when the buzzer goes off and the usual pile of armored up guys come in to strap him into his baby tote and get started on his busy day. The lawyer chick from last time is there to make sure his rights are protected during his execution and Joe may be about to die but he's still got a sense of humor and smirks as she says that otherwise she'd be watching from home with a bowl of popcorn. Really? It's just gonna be shots of the prison and talking heads. Do you not have Netflix? 

Joe tells her not to be surprised if she enjoys the process in her ladybits (BLARGH) and Lawyer (her name's Ms. Johnson) looks standard issue grossed out. Oh, honey, that was nothing, as you will unfortunately come to find out. 

Joe gets wheeled out of his private wing through Death Row proper (HOW MUCH WHITE PAINT IS THERE IN THE WORLD?) and the other inmates, resentful of his rock stardom, yell resentful things that would probably have a much higher obscenity count were this not TV. The cameras make sure we note one thick necked waste of oxygen with a yen for Joe's cell and Joe's bitchy little slapdown about how he's just an Oedipal loser and his cell is for celebrities, thanks awfully. The guy's instant roar of blathering rage says that he's not what you'd call a strategic thinker and also is going to be the guy with the most lines later. Also, note how all these guys are behind solid doors? Gary the Dipshit would still be alive had they stuck to this architectural feature is all I'm saying.

Cut to Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child Fed Building, where Mike and Max (looking all made up) (No Tom this episode) (THANK YOU JESUS) are tabulating the amount of money in the How Long Joe Carroll Chokes On His Last Breath pool, as Sloane forthrightly informs Ryan as he enters querying same. "Over or under four minutes, you want in on it?" Oh, Sloane, I love your shamelessness. Seriously, this actress is trying with this thankless role and I love how she doesn't give a shit if Ryan knows about the pool or not. 

Ryan passes on making a bet and asks where they are on Theo the Wonder Hacker, and Max says he's definitely the guy who set Gary up to be on Death Row duty--"We found the back door he used to hack into the prison. We closed it." That is the exact line and please keep it in mind for later, so when I go fucking nuts you have a context, 'kay?

Mark asks what the hell Theo went to so much trouble for and Ryan basically pulls a reason out of his ass: "Wrecking my credit rating won't satisfy him; he's going to come after me and he knows he needs help if he wants to survive." It's not a wrong conclusion, or a bad one, but how did Ryan come to it, exactly? He hasn't slept in like, three weeks and is so tense you could play the dueling banjos theme on his hamstrings. I guess Competent Ryan's up in his head downing No-Doz and scribbling on loose sheets of notebook paper. 

Cut to Newark, New Jersey, where Theo's decided the best way to solve a big problem is set it aside and solve a little one. He's pulling up in front of what's clearly a shooting gallery, and the kind of that esteemed establishment you go to when you've been kicked out from under every bridge in town and the Morlocks are sending you to voice mail. He and his mustache (which I will never complain about again, Lord, if he has permanently ditched those wretched sideburn things) swing into the gross and icy cold structure, clearly seeking somebody out. 

The place is full of end of the liners who are mysteriously not frozen to death, and he moves through several rooms before spotting who he's come for--a passed out young woman who's entangled with an equally passed out young man. He gazes tenderly at her, scoops her up, and prepares to head out, when Passed Out Guy demands a name change by snapping to and demanding what Theo's doing with her. Theo's ready to let this one lay but the guy staggers up, getting loud and demanding and basically demonstrating the kind of life choices that led him to this palatial estate, ending his question with a switchblade flick.

Theo sighs, sets his cargo down and launches into one of his neo-poetical spiels about how the guy should think hard about this moment and honestly, I do not have the strength to get into this. Man, I thought Joe and Claire's mutual effort was bad. Theo mercifully doesn't want to waste his A material on this guy and stabs him to death pretty fast, though, so I won't bitch too much. Sleepytime Sue, there, has meanwhile not stirred through this entire exchange, nor has anybody else in the place. That must be some good shit.

Cut to the infirmary and shit's about to get CRAY!  The guards wheel in Joe for his exam, which will be done by this doctor here, and also to meet the Governor's Chief of Staff, Jim Vale, who's there for absolutely no good reason that doesn't involve getting taken hostage. Both these men will wish they had not gone into their current professions and instead become parasailing instructors in a second. 

Joe asks after Jim's identity, and upon hearing his credentials offers to endorse the governor with his last words. "For God's sakes, don't? Do that?" says Jim and ugh, this guy. He's like a whiny puppy in a suit and couldn't be more future victim if he sat in Joe's lap. 

The doc rolls his eyes and the guards prepare to unstrap Joe for his exam. The younger one gives the standard " move and I'll drop you" speech, while the other one waves a Taser that in no way will become important in the very near future, and as Johnson protests the threat, saying the last thing she needs is paperwork on cruel and unusual, and there's juuuuuust enough distraction and talking....

FOR JOE TO SNAP INTO POWER MODE. In quick succession he stabs the guard with the Taser, takes it and tases the other guard, shoves the third guard out the door, locks it, zaps a protesting Jim (he actually says "just a minute", like Joe is a misbehaving four year old) and orders the doc and Johnson to hit the bricks! Damn! Say what you will about Joe Carroll, the guy's efficient. Any further admiration will have to wait until he's done gratuitously tasing the eye out of this guard, though. Thanks for that, show, you never disappoint with the "Oh, why" moments. "You didn't think killing me was going to be easy, did you?" says Joe, helping himself to a big Cliche Bingo lollipop as we go to break.

Back and Ryan's rushing into HQ, where the Warden's on Skype saying it's as bad as you thought and worse--Joe's taken hostages, including Jim, Chief of Staff. He's getting ready to send in a team but Ryan says no, if Joe starts killing the VIPs are going down first. I'll bet the doctor and Johnson are both tickled pink to hear they are not VIPs. The warden says he doesn't have a choice, that by waiting Joe just has time to barricade himself--annnnd speaking of, here's said Joe to hurry things along!

I wasn't aware you could cut in on a Skype line from a prison infirmary but Joe's doing just that and Ryan Purefoy's having a ball with his last big set piece on the earthly plane. He's got the three hostages balanced on chairs and ready to get strung up while he issues the usuals about the personnel buggering off and nobody better come in here blah blah blah and by the way, RYAN, get your butt down here within two hours or else! I guess I do have to give grudging respect to a man who's so willing to wear his throbbing heart, so to speak, on his sleeve as openly as Joe does.

Ryan's face reflects every futile moment he's spent avoiding Joe's final gig, but enough of that; a car horn snaps us from his mug to the young lady last seen at Crack House Manse, waking up in much nicer digs and wearing clean clothes. She sits up, clearly puzzled as to how she got here, then heads out to the living room--but hears a noise. She opens a door and nearly has a heart attack at the sight of a chained up, gagged Asian man (minority count 7? 8? I don't even know anymore) thrashing about and desperately trying to signal her that he could use a hand! He's surrounded by chalkboards covered in mathematical formulas but they clearly haven't done him a lick of good.

The guy's eyes widen in warning, she turns around to see Theo's grim face....

And he says "hey" in a very familiar way as she sulkily drops her hands and says he scared the crap out of her. "Sorry," says Theo sullenly, in perfect brother mode, for this is indeed the mysterious Penny, who is apparently Theo's little sister and fully up on his interesting personal issues. He follows her into the kitchen of his loft carrying a grocery bag, and this whole scene is supposed to be all "oooooooo how twisted, how evil" but really? It's just practical. As I bitched about last week, there's no way even Mystery God Hacker genius Theo here can run that many parallel lives--and he needs somebody to exposit to. So of COURSE he's got a family member who totally understands even if she's got a taste for smack and resents him interfering with her life and knifing her druggie boyfriends. The two actors aquit themselves well, I believe them as siblings, but this isn't as huge a twist as the show apparently thinks it is.

Penny starts shoveling down some food, Theo peels off his fake mustache, quick spat about where her late boyfriend is: "Did you kill him?" "...nooo" without looking at her and really, Michael Ealy is doing a terrific job as the defensive brother-- and what's clearly a long standing argument about who knows best for who. Penny's not in the mood to listen to a DARE lecture from a guy who's got an Asian man tied up in his study, and who the hell is he, anyway?

(Penny, by the way, has quite an appetite for a heroin addict. She also has flawless skin and gorgeous hair and perfect nails. Do drugs, kids! They make you gorgeous!)

Theo says he's Frank Sakamoto "the nation's top academic cryptologist, and he's been completely useless." UM, WAIT A SEC. When exactly did Theo take time out from his busy schedule to kidnap the nation's top academic cryptologist? Has anybody noticed the guy's missing? What the HELL, SHOW?

Penny doesn't care about this line of questioning at all, though; she just wants to know what the hell's wrong with "T". "It's not like you to bring a kill into the house." Well, that's considerate of him. Theo looks at her disbelievingly, then says you really don't know? and tosses her the Product Placement tablet with the information about how Theo's totally busted and Ryan Hardy's after him. You'd think that would have fallen off Yahoo Trends by now, what with the execution and hostage taking and everything.

Penny flips out about Strauss and how their cover lives are blown and "if they get to you, they get to me." Is she a killer too? I mean, she can always argue that Theo brainwashed/drugged her, I don't know why she's so worried, but this is a nice loft, I can see why she'd be reluctant to lose the lease. Theo's all yep, that's why I had to go scrounge you up, we've got to move quickly on my Cunning Plan. "If it works, we disappear." I honestly don't see why they can't just disappear right now. You can't tell me that Theo doesn't have stashes and fake IDs all over the place and it's not like anybody's recognized him at all anyway--he's been running up and down the East Coast with nary a nevermind! They could both be on a tropical beach in six hours drinking daquiris and shooting primo smack without further ado!

Just then Theo's Magical Phone of Bad News goes off. Theo glances at it, hisses "You've got to be kidding me" and lunges for the TV. They both stare at the news of Joe Carroll's impromptu hostage tea party and that Ryan and his team have arrived. We transition from footage of Ryan and Team doing just that to the real deal entering the mobile command unit for some exposition drop. The warden and the head of the SWAT team (who for once is NOT TOM, thank you God) says it's not good; the riot squad can get in but they don't like their chances non-dead-hostage wise. 

Ryan jumps to, clearly wanting to get this over with. He strips off his gun, saying Joe won't let him in without searching him. Max bleats the usual about going in unarmed but Ryan rightly points out it's the only way. I'm not really clear on why Max and Mike are here but I guess they just wanted all three actors in one place rather then film them separately on two sets. He heads off, saying he needs a minute.

Cut to panicky Gwen glued to the TV. She answers her phone and they have a grotesque conversation that consists of pleading and hilarious lines like "What if he's planning to kill you again?" (It's called REWRITES, writers, Gawd.) Ryan's pretty much in Battle Mode and not overly comforting, especially when Mike actually gives him the "wrap it up signal" (Really?) and he's all gotta go honey, see ya! Gwen tries to really ratchet things through the roof, saying she needs to "tell him something," but Competent Ryan realizes ain't nobody got time for that and works the jaw so Ryan's all tellmelaterloveyoubye! Whew, what a load Gwen is! All butt hurt and worried for him, jeez!

Gwen sobs and puts on her Desperately Forlorn face for the benefit of nobody as Ryan strides out for his big date. All the protesters are yelling and waving their signs but I don't see why, exactly. What do they think Ryan's going to do, blow the place up? (That would be awesome but maybe a little to recherche? After the boathouse and all?) 

Cut to padding shots of Gwen, Theo and Penny watching the drama on their sets, then to Ryan heading down the white hallway (it's deserted, per Joe's earlier orders) with Max and Mike flanking him. They get to the small group of riot guards hanging at the door, and Mike flat out tells Ryan to kill Joe if he gets the chance, and Max flat out agrees. "Mike's right, this has to end." And frankly they have a point. This has really gone past ridiculous to--whatever the ultimate nth degree of ridiculous is. 

Ryan tells them to take care of each other if anything happens, hands his badge to Max, then turns to the door. Here we go--worst Coffee With An Ex in the history of ever. The guard uses his swipe card to key open the door and Ryan heads out. Down the halls, through Death Row proper where the inmates are pounding on the doors and demanding to know what's going on (this will not be important later, oh no) and basically acting like a troop of macaques on angel dust as Joe smugly watches the security camera feed. More door buzzings and Ryan's at the infirmary door.

Joe proceeds to talk through the three inches of solid steel door, saying his old friend finally came, then gets down to business by demanding Ryan take off his jacket and shirt! Damn, when Joe Carroll wants a conjugal visit he does NOT waste time! Blah blah blah through the solid steel door that has no sound dampening properties, threats of snipping appendages from a hostage just to keep things spicy, and Ryan strips off. Bow chicka bow bow! Man, I bet Joe owned like thirty copies of Wild Things. For that scene. Don't pretend, you know what scene.

After a demand for Ryan to show him his tits (okay, not really, he's checking for wires/weapons BUT COME ON. Also, the makeup department FINALLY remembered Ryan has a ton of scars! Better late then never!) Joe takes the romance over the top--he indicates a pair of handcuffs in the corner and says for Ryan to cuff his hands behind his back! If there aren't fan videos of this scene with appropriate Marvin Gaye overlays on YouTube by tomorrow I will be very disappointed in America. 

Ryan balks and says he's not cuffing up until Joe releases the hostages. Joe snorts in disbelieving merriment, reminding Ryan that he's got absolutely no leverage here. "Sure I do," says Ryan. "Good luck with the riot squad." He bends down, scoops up his clothes, and heads off. Joe knows his bluff's been called and calls him back all, baby, don't go! I love you! One hostage, how's that? Ryan agrees with a toss of his clothes to the ground and the doctor, crying and terrified and frankly being completely realistic, is released and tossed out the door by Ryan with a tell the guards who you are so they don't shoot ya, go! 

Ryan cuffs himself with Joe insisting he turn so he can watch (ostensibly to make sure Ryan locks the cuffs BUT COME. ON.), then ducking out of sight. Ryan cautiously shoves the door open...

And is promptly tasered to fuck and back! That cannot be good for that pacemaker we randomly care about! "If you'd only RSVP'd yes to my execution, none of this would have been necessary," slimes Joe, tasering us all into the break! Yeah, Ryan, rude. He sent the stamped envelope in the card and paid for embossing and everything!

We're back in New York and Theo's loft, where said Theo is showing that Strauss Journal to Penny, explaining that it's in an unbreakable code and it's driving him nuts. More nuts, anyway. Apparently Kidnapped National Academic Leading Cryptologist Who Hasn't Been Missed By Anybody can't undo it; "the key is a phrase, but it's long and without knowing the source it's virtually impossible to crack."

Penny, her glistening hair and clear complexion ablaze with irritation (do drugs, kids!) asks what the hell's so important about this damn book anyway, and rightly so. Theo says he needs a name, someone with the power to give him his anonymity back. AGAIN, WHY does Theo need anybody's help with this? There is no way, no way that the character as presented could not have an entire new and untraceable life in three shakes of a lamb's tail, and all this bullshit is just so much plot stuffing being rammed up the story turkey's butt. 

What Penny's most freaked out about, though, is that Theo isn't going to be pursuing his precious little anonymity until after he takes down Ryan Hardy. Ohhhh, goody, another obsessive "Must Kill Ryan At All Costs" storyline. That's fresh and new! 

Penny agrees with me: "Are you kidding? He took down Strauss and Joe Carroll. You need to leave him alone!" She's completely right here! Let's run down the list of the serial killer's Ryan's taken out of the game: Joe, Strauss, all the Followers, Kyle, Neil, Lily's family of nutjobs (not Lily herself or the twins but his adjuncts Max and Mike did), Neil, the guy who set Theo up at Manatech, that diner loser from Beacon! And the only one who made it as far as a conviction was Joe; everybody else is dead. Well, not the one who set Theo up but I'm not advising him to buy any long term bonds, if you know what I'm saying. Avoiding Ryan and just booking it off to Pitcairn Island is the smart move here!

Penny and Theo have the obligatory "You've always gotta win!" "And that's why we're alive!" scene with lots of pacing and hand waving, and Penny says YES, I get that, I love you for it but taking on Ryan "Death Is My Co Pilot" Hardy plus the entire FBI is crazy. Theo, who's obviously got no problem with the crazy aspect of things, merely says that Ryan Hardy's going to pay for what he's done. 

"I think Joe Carroll may be taking care of that," grims Penny and they both turn to stare at the TV with a chevron shrieking "JOE CARROLL IN CONTROL?" as the scene cuts.

And that's the first half! Tune in tomorrow for the most unconventional intervention, thinning of Virginia's Superior Court docket, and mental health personal day ever!

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 2

What kind of idiot not frisking a clearly dangerous and violent inmate before putting him in the wheelchair?

What kind of idiot putting all-viewing security monitors in the infirmary that leads to the execution chamber?

What kind of idiot putting the control of the prison's locking mechanism in the internet?

• Love 2

I am still shocked that Joe is dead.  What are the chances that he'll pop up again, in some wooded hideaway, with a new batch of (or previously unseen) followers? So much of the weight of the storyline was hinging on the Joe/Ryan connection.  I just don't see Ryan transferring that to Theo.  There's no history there. Or will Ryan devolve, a la Norman Bates, into a world of blurred lines between reality and fantasy with the ghost of Joe?

There's no history there. Or will Ryan devolve, a la Norman Bates, into a world of blurred lines between reality and fantasy with the ghost of Joe?

I think that's exactly what they're planning, a la Joe at the bar. It might even be interesting. To quote Sally Kempton, "It's hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head."

• Love 1

Well, lets be honest - does anyone see this show getting a season four? Because frankly I was shocked that it got a season three. Joe is dead because we won't need him around. This ends with  Ryan Hardy holding a bloody knife over the body of his girlfriend while Max and Mikey look on in horror. And an obligatory "later" scene where Mikey is visiting Ryan on death row and this ALL STARTS AGAIN!

I can feel it, can't you?

• Love 2

Okay, part two! Ryan takes an extreme vacation! It's unorthodox, but he seems pretty relaxed afterwards.

We're back for the big emotion/action sequence, with the scene opening on Ryan's trussed up bod laying face down on the infirmary floor (BOW chicka BOW BOW--seriously, this is just a straight up porn opening) He's cuffed with a noose around his neck as a gift from Joe, but also barefoot, which I don't quite get. Hey, though--at least his ankles aren't tied! So he's....FOOTLOOSE! (YES! Oh, you can wait years for a setup like that!)

But enough of my whimsicalities! Joe's anxious to get on to the good stuff and wakes Ry with a tuggy-tug-tug on his noose, which is part of this elaborate looping system that seems to be connected to Jim and Ms. Johnson as well, so they're taking a focused interest in the proceedings.

Joe notes that Ryan's come around (as would be expected from having your airway fucked with) and Ryan growls a line at him that I can't make out but Joe is apparently displeased, since he tug-forces Ryan to his feet noose-wise like a marionette. That looks unpleasant. This could not have been fun for Kevin Bacon to shoot at all. 

Joe starts his dreamed-for, saved up cliche' stream of a monologue about how Ryan can fool everyone else but he can't fool him blah blah blah, but I'm mostly focused on how absolutely haggard both these guys look. Granted, part of that's makeup and the circumstances of the scene, but damn, The Following has done a number on both Bacon and Purefoy. They look like those side-by-side photos of Obama showing how the job's aged him. And neither of these two even get to be married to Michelle!

Anyway, Joe goes on about man in crisis, macho facade, suffering, some terse responses from Ryan and finally Joe gets to his point--Ryan's got to quit denying that Joe is his soulmate. How Purefoy delivered that line without laughing until he snorted and choked on his own larynx is beyond me but he pulled it off! Damn, he'd better be sticking around as Ryan's Imaginary Friend.

Ryan delivers a half hearted eye roll, but Joe points out he could have shot him at Whipped Cream Manor--Joe was literally begging him to do it--and he didn't. So that PROVES Ryan loves him! Whip out the PeeChees and write your names together in a heart! Ryan, unfortunately, does not make this scene actually interesting by pointing out that he didn't shoot precisely because Joe was begging for it, saying he couldn't go back to prison and Ryan refused to give in to his darker urges. Which is exactly what happened! But God forbid we have continuity or actual psychological depth on this thing.

Ryan actually isn't allowed to say anything, as Joe is on a roll here, and we all know how much he loves the sound of his own voice, especially when he's building one of his elaborate Nutjob Fantasy Castles out of his obsession Legos: "Don't give me any of that Kumbya 'I did it to save my soul' nonsense. You didn't kill me because you need me." This is sounding more and more like a fifteen page heavily illustrated with Sharpie Marker fan letter written by an eleven year old to One Direction. 

Joe thankfully gets to the point, saying as how they're Forever One and all, it's his obligation to wake Ryan up and this whole shindig is an intervention for Ryan's psyche so he'll accept Joe as his Forever Buddy and they can get married or what the fuck ever is dancing around in Joe's fevered brainpan at this point. Jim and Ms. Johnson both look somewhere between "more terrified then I can say" and "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?" at this announcement. Ryan just glares, just so Goddamn fed up with this he can barely keep his eyes from rolling right out onto the floor as Joe yipyaps on about how he's going to know deep in his heart that it's true and oh my God, how can a hostage scene with Joe Carroll in charge be so damn boring?

Cut to Max and Mike standing around uselessly in the hall wondering what they're supposed to be doing. I guess to have this little rapprochement about how Mike is always going to be there for Max. That's a good thing for Max to keep in her back pocket after she finds out about how she's starring in an illegal/useless plotwise reality program called "Watch Max Hang Out And Occasionally Bone Her Ex."  Oh, and apparently they're also there so when the head of the riot squad comes up and announces the Governor's sick of having his football game pre-empted and is sending them in he's not just talking to empty air. This is the usual stupid plot contrivance but at least Riot Squad Leader Guy sets a ten minute deadline so Joe's histrionics can't go on forever. Max and Mike look dismayed.

Cut back to Ryan trying to persuade Joe to let the hostages go in a perfunctory manner as Joe worryingly locates a scalpel and says nope. they form a vital part of this intervention bullshit. He proceeds to cut the two down as Ryan keeps studying the pulley noose system that Joe apparently rigged up in like five minutes. Good thing prison infirmaries have tons of hooks and eyes and wheelies in their ceilings for this kind of setup. "Jump down!" says Joe in his cheery teacher voice, then asks Jim to kindly strap "Dana" (so I guess that's her first name, thank God, I was so sick of typing Ms. Johnson) to the examination table. Jim is creepily and hilariously very willing and able to hop to! Dude, what the hell? 

Ryan asks what the hell he's doing: "I thought this was about me." "Well, it is," says Joe, "But that's no reason why I can't enjoy myself too!" Oh, James Purefoy, I will love you forever. I love how he switches from Obsessive ExBoyfriend to Practical Dad on a damn dime. Meanwhile, Jim's got poor Dana strapped up and obediently moves out of the way on Joe's orders. Quit looking so happy about this, you dick!

Ryan, who knows that Joe means business when he gets brisk, quickly tries to distract him by asking what exactly he, Ryan, is denying. Joe, delighted to get to his main point, says it's simply that Ryan has always been Joe's most devoted Follower. "No one has ever felt as passionate about me as you have." Whoa. I'd debate that, seeing as Ryan pretty much felt passionate about the missing and unspoken of Claire, but neither man seems inclined to go down that path. 

More clichefesting about how Ryan became Joe in his quest to stop him, I'm not like you, your body count might say otherwise (fair enough), blah blah blah until Joe channels audience frustration, the way he's so good at doing, and moans "OH, this is just going nowhere. I'm going to have to take it up a notch" and heads over to poor Dana with the announcement that it's eyeball cutting time, yikes! Poor Dana, I hope she sues the State of Virginia for every last penny after today. There's Pro Bono work but this is ridiculous.

Ryan yells for Joe to stop, of course, but at Joe's "make me", confesses that he has been dreaming about Joe. THAT swings Joe's attention back Ryan-ward, and when he asks what kind of dreams, my precious little lamby-legs, basically tells the flat truth about buddy drinking and taking slaughter lessons. Doesn't mention the pool game, though--guess he's keeping that ace up his sleeve. 

It works--Joe lets go of poor Dana's face and heads over to pat Ryan's shoulder, saying he's proud of him, and--unnooses him, saying that can't have been easy to admit but it's all he wanted, that Ryan's dreams show that they're best of friends and they know each other for who they really are. Ryan spits that Joe doesn't know him but it's an empty gesture, as Joe intense-whispers on and on about how Ryan knows the truth and how he's the only one who know the real Ryan and what's he so afraid of? God, this drags on.

Seriously, this should have wrapped up here, but Joe, as is his evil/bloated/self-important wont, keeps dragging the damn scene forward with blather about how Ryan must have enjoyed killing his father's murderer and Debra Parker's killer and SHOW, JUST STOP. You can't pretend you suddenly remember/care about this shit, you left it in the dust months ago, this is just embarrassing. Next Joe will bring up ethics in gaming journalism, for fuck's sake. 

On and on and ON WITH THIS and YES, Ryan enjoyed it, he got satisfaction and power and all that gobbledygook out of pulling the trigger and then Joe ramps it up again, he starts CRYING, manly little sniffly-boos about how all he wanted was a little bit of honesty and GOOD GOD. Even James Purefoy cannot make this sow's ear into anything but a sow's ear purse, although he does his best, and Kevin Bacon doesn't just burst out laughing, which is all you can ask of a man having this slumgullion of rampaging stupidity stew flung in his face from three inches away. 

Gahhhh, I can't with this anymore, and luckily neither does the show. Joe, still all emotional and wiping tears away (GAHHHHH THERE ARE NO WORDS) finally unlocks Ryan, hands him the cuffs, and surrenders. He's gotten what he so superbly and melodramatically demanded--Ryan 'fessing up to their bond, and he's totally ready to head on over to the execution chamber and hurl off into the abyss now that he's got the truth. He keeps yammering about how he's right the whole time and Ryan's all you know what? FINE AND GUT PUNCHES HIM DOWN. Ahhh, that felt good, I think we can all agree.

Joe gets to his knees all okay, I deserved that but then KEEPS GOING with his spiel of the heart and I don't know what they paid these actors? but they deserve more. Having to learn these lines, block this scene, film this crap over and over? I wish to take them both to dinner. Anyway, Joe holds up his wrists for the cuffs in the best drama queen way possible and Ryan cuffs him with a weary "you win, Joe" as we go to break and I flop over like a dying gardenia. That took everything out of me recapping-wise, people. 

We're back and thankfully not at St. James Infirmary, but with Theo and Penny, who are about to really push my rage button (I know, you can't wait.) Theo's got his fifty computer screens up and running and when Penny asks what he's doing, says, and I quote, "Trying to look inside the prison, I hid a back door in their server." Did you now? Would that be the back door that Max, earlier, very clearly said they removed???? Because Theo doesn't say it's another back door, or "they thought they found my back door but I fooled them" or anything like that, no no. This is just another glaring example of how these scripts are clearly written in twenty minutes by drunks on their iphones and have every third word autocorrected before being handed to the actors! GODDAMMIT, IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD ONE DAMN INTERN TO PROOFREAD YOUR DAMN SCRIPT THEN JUST STOP IT. STOP TRYING. 

Sorry, but that one really got to me. Let's pretend that the rest of this crap makes sense, shall we? (BUT IT DOESN'T.) Theo basically controls the entire Virginia State Penitentary with one of his magikal thumb drives (that he whipped up between hauling Penny home and kidnapping the cryptology guy, I guess) and he's using it to keep tabs on the situation and offer grudging admiration of Joe: "He knows how to make an exit."

Penny, completely devoid of dope sickness, nausea, shakes or sweats (do drugs!) is rather more practical and asks after some of the more tempting icons onscreen. Theo's all casual, saying nothing much, just controls for the entire damn prison, and can basically do whatever he wants; turn off cameras, whatever. "If I wanted to I could lock the whole place down." Penny looks pretty damn interested in that information as Theo swings off to make another sandwich or something. He's stopped by the TV, though, which is announcing that the hostage situation appears to be resolved and doesn't look happy about it.

Max is, though, watching on one of the ever present Microsoft Tablets (those damn things are like Tribbles) and saying that it looks like something's happening. We see the group from the infirmary heading through Death Row as Mike says it's Ryan and he did it! Ahh, it's been a long day, but now things are back on track!

Unless you have a clone of the prison's security in the hands of an angry druggie! That would be bad! And it is! Penny, who seems to be able to handle computer magic pretty well her own self, is messing with the controls that Theo left in front of her, oh dear. He ask what she's doing and she says "protecting you from yourself" as she stands back.

In Death Row, the longsuffering Ryan and Company hear the ominous sound of unlocking doors, as every last one of the cells swing open and the inmates step forth to perform "He Had It Comin" from Chicago. Or to murder everybody, they're flexible. FUCK, says Ryan's battered face, instinctively shepherding everyone behind him as we cut to Max and Mike freaking out and trying to get inside, which they cannot because Penny Controls All! 

The inmates herd forward as Ryan waves the taser and That One Asshole Convict gets a line about Karma existing. I am sure Hindus everywhere are thrilled beyond measure to hear a tenet of their faith referenced by this guy. Ryan yells for everyone to back the hell up and tasers the shit out of two or three eager cons, but the numbers are against him and he's down and getting punched to hell and back! Asshole Convict gets ahold of Joe and Dana and Jim back away in terror, Jim with this great "um, this has nothing to do with us, we're just gonna go" expression on his face. 

Ryan's getting so pulped that some of the more far-thinking cons have to pull him up, throwing him to his feet as one says "we should do some hostage taking of our own" as Ryan crouches in boxing position, glaring at all and sundry. Asshole Convict, meanwhile, is using the revered third grade girl tactic of pulling Joe's hair while saying they're going to take a look at Joe's cell; "the one he doesn't think I'm good enough for." I have a feeling this guy tried watching Sesame Street in prison but it was beyond him intellectually. He says something or other about decorating it with his brains and hurls Joe's smart mouth reply offscreen.

Ryan's still in his "who WANTS SOME?" stance and trying to keep the others behind him, but of fucking course we have to go here, and poor Dana is grabbed up by a bunch of murdering scumbags who clearly don't plan to take her out to tea. Ugh, why? I'm not saying it doesn't make sense but why? This poor actress, having been strapped down and had her eyeballs threatened, now has to do the Rape Endangerment scene. Ugggggggh. 

Ryan's down and Jim shows his true weasel-ness by not lifting a finger to help him or Dana; just throws up his hands and says "It's cool, do what you gotta do." What a stand up gentleman. The con he's trying to soft soap is not impressed and asks if Weasel Boy thinks they need his permission. The guy actually looks startled, all "Oh, my, no" but gets shanked for his trouble, ha ha ha! I'm enjoying this so I'm not going to ask where a death row inmate on 24 hour watch got a shank. Joe got his sunglasses, after all.

Ryan, pretty clearly demonstrating that he's NOTHING like Joe, here, yells out for them to stop and rabbit-kicks cons left and right! He finishes off each con with a boot to the head and slam against the wall, respectively, then leaves their gasping, groaning heaps with Jim, who isn't too badly hurt but richly deserved that. Ryan tells him to keep pressure on it and don't die if you can help it, you useless lump of fuck, then  grabs up the shank and charges off to save Dana. Again, pretty clear evidence that he's not Joe. Jim is left to whinge about how Ryan can't leave him, and buddy? Even if you weren't a useless lump of fuck I can promise you Ryan has heard enough of that particular line of pleading today.

The cons, meanwhile, go out the door into the courtyard (yes, the door to the courtyard that Penny locked down remotely! Writers, kill yourselves) with poor Dana, apparently deciding that freezing temperatures and filthy snow is the best place to do their horrible deeds, ugh. They throw her down, gloat over her as she cries and tries to crawl away, and luckily I don't have to watch any more of this unconscionable crapfest of a scene because Rambo Ryan appears, spikes the watching con in the throat (YAY!)  and heads over to beat the other guy to fucking death with the taser! YAY!  And if watching two would be rapist criminals go down makes me like Joe, well, slap my ass and call me Follower.

Ryan, ablaze with bezerker rage, takes a second to focus on poor, terrified, frozen in horror Dana, then in a hilariously calm voice says "It's okay, you're safe now" as he tosses the bloody Taser to the ground and helps her up. Girl, demand EVERYTHING  from the State of Virginia. The capitol building should be your beach cabana by the time you're done and don't let anybody tell you different. 

Meanwhile, Asshole Convict is making good on his promise and tossing Joe back into his original cell. He really just seems to want to move in here, which, dude? Whatever but I don't think Joe is personally in charge of that kind of thing. He asks if Joe is an "eye guy," and Joe gets all trademark huffy, saying calling him an eye guy is like calling Rembrandt a decorator. "Who the hell's Rembrandt?" grunts the brain trust, and Joe realizes that universal justice has decreed that he die at the hands of this moron. He gets in the first punch but Asshole's not cuffed, and five seconds later Joe's having the life choked out of him, only not by Ryan so he's not enjoying it one bit.

Speaking of, Blood Spattered Ryan has just appeared! He stares for a second, taking in the scene, then...look, it goes the way you know it would--moment of supposed suspense "will Ryan save Joe?" then Ryan heads on in to the rescue. He pulls the guy off, guy decides he's gonna choke SOMEBODY today, Joe pulls him off Ryan and Ryan slams the guy against the sink and puts him down. A to B to C.

Max Mike Et Al get the doors open and charge in. 

We cut back to the cell, Joe cowers from Bezerker Ryan, Ryan holds his hand out and pulls Joe up, moment of equality, the riot squad moves in, etc. Max swings in, gasps "Thank God" and asks if he's okay. Ryan, who has has the least okay-inducing day in the history of mankind, displays his neo-snapped affect with his flat "Yeah, I'm good" and heading out all casual and blood-soaked. Both Max and Mike look dazed and worried as we go to break. Hopefully when we come back we'll understand why Penny thought any of this was a good idea.

There's still fifteen minutes of this to go, can you believe that?

Still got to wait on what Penny was thinking since we're finally checking in with Gwen, who's relieved to hear the hostage stuff is wrapped up--no wait! Now we're with Theo and Penny again! I guess that was just to reassure us that Gwen didn't bail and head out to the movies after all. Theo and Penn have a brother sister spat over how she almost blew the whole thing/ you can kill my druggie boyfriends but looking after you is out of line? and it makes no sense, none. Blew what plan of Theo's? If Penny's releasing of the inmates was to get Ryan offed (and I can't think of anything else she'd be gunning for) why is she glad Joe and Ryan survived? What the bloody hell is going on? 

Penny inadvertently clears things up a bit by saying just drop this Ryan Hardy shit and let's crack that code, find that guy and get going on the whole new lives thing. Theo replies that Mystery Guy won't do it voluntarily and he needs leverage--namely, Ryan Hardy.  "His death is the key to our future." So, what? Theo doesn't want to punish Ryan anymore and there's YET ANOTHER Mystery Killer out there lusting for Ryan's blood? This is making Joe's recruitment of eight zillion followers sound downright realistic and believable. 

Cut to White Hallway with Ryan finally giving Gwen a ring. Not that kind, silly, he's calling her. Gwen's understandably emotionally labile, but Ryan's still in his Zone of Peaceful Nothingness and says hey, everything's cool but I'm not coming back until I find out about how Joe's execution's going down, so don't wait dinner. Gwen's all WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING and Ryan just flats out a few lines about closure and I don't expect you to understand and handle this, then just hangs the fuck up. Damn, bro, cold. 

Back to Penny and Theo solving that stupid code thing really really really quickly. It involves Joe and Strauss's personal libraries and a Lovecraft quote and apparently this whole thing was cooked up by a fourteen year old baby Goth and FUCK IT, look, Theo cracks the damn thing and it's a longitude and latitude location, okay? Apparently hiding the whereabouts of the latest Big Bad is like Geo Caching. I'm sure the kidnapped cryptologist will be thrilled. Can we be done with these two, please?

Back to Joe's delayed execution dance, with Joe sitting around in his cell (they got the blood mopped up fast, I must say) and Ryan coming in for YET ANOTHER REHASH of their twisted relationship and look, just mentally copy/paste anything I covered this whole season in here with these two and you've got it, okay? The long and the short of it is that Joe's fine with death since he's going to live on in Ryan, and even Ryan can't pretend to be interested anymore. He tells Joe his execution's on track so don't buy any long playing records and starts to head off, but Joe wouldn't be Joe if he didn't call him back one more damn time. This time it's for a little plot/fourth season expo about how Theo was born of violence in the City of Brotherly Love and FINE PHILLY FOR SEASON FOUR. Ryan heads off to watch National Treasure a few times as we the audience contemplate the darlingness of the idea that anybody really believes a fourth season is in the works.

Siggghhhh...look, I've been writing this for like, two hours and we're still not done. Let's just skip ahead to the important bit: JOE CARROLL DIES. They kack him, they ice him, they shuffle him off this mortal coil, they shed his clay dwelling house and any metaphor Poe ever came up with, he's dead, okay? Purefoy really gets to work his acting chops with the whole "Nevermore" bit and eye contact with Ryan and the thrashing and "Mmmmph" smothered groans thing for what seems like forever, but the main point is, JOE CARROLL IS FUCKING DEAD. They try for a little suspense with the "but we didn't see him on the autopsy table and maybe Claire or somebody will smuggle his seeming corpse out of the joint with the help of secret Follower guards" but nope. He's dead. Live Joe's gone as far as he can go, even for a show as deranged and reality-scorning as The Following.

So why am I not more upset, you ask? After all, I've pretty much begged James Purefoy to marry me in every damn post, he's the only real thing that makes this mess any fun, and the only actor who gets to shake his tail feathers in a campy way. Well, because of what's coming up.

Ryan, fed up with Life, the Universe, and Everything, heads for a bar, where a lovely young bartender can't wait to be probably hit on by this sagging to the ground probably crazy guy old enough to be her father, and purrs "bad day?" while not questioning said guy's order of two separate shots of random whiskey. That's a thing that happens. But what's important is, of course:

Ry's ignoring of Gwen's call on his cell, the raising of his glass in a toast to the empty barstool beside him with a dry "here's to you"...

AND OF COURSE HEAD JOE IS THERE WITH A "No, here's to us." YES YES YESSSSSSS!

See, this is why I'm okay with Joe Carroll's death. He's not off the show, and as Head Joe they can have him so and say shit that just would not be possible if they tried to have him escape again, which even these writers are smart enough to avoid. It's really the only way to roll this dung ball forward at all, and if it means James Purefoy dancing around, playing pool, and giving Ryan neck massages and tender little butterfly kisses I am FOR IT. At the very least it will make all the Theo And Penny Go On A Treasure Hunt/Yet Another Super Killer Out Of The Woodwork more palatable. 

Okay,so that is FINALLY IT. Tune in next week as Head Joe and Competent Ryan fight it out for fridge space and Ryan has a little backsliding issue. Shouldna brought those bottles into the apartment, Gwennie.

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 5

A weird part of me wanted Joe and Crazy Cal from Agents of SHIELD to go on a road trip.

The current situation reminds me of John Crighton and Head Scorpius on Farscape and that was fun.

If it were possible to hack cell doors for prisons from outside it would already be done. I'm sure there are people with enough money to make it worth a hacker's time.

I'm pretty sure that the execution would have been delayed to do the formality of investigating and placing blame for the death of the guard a week ago. Joe killed a guy on death row. Until they go through the whole rigamarol of inverstigating exactly how that happened they wouldn't kill the only witness. Technically they might be bound by law to prosecute Joe for the death although it would set a bad precident by saying you can cheat death for a longer while if you kill more people while you're in prison but I'm not sure the state would have a choice.

I hope female lawyer finds another line of work. I can't see how you can continue to defend killers and rapists after you've seen them in this light. I'm sure it is easier to place the right to best defense possible, above the misery of the victims when it hasn't happened to you. Of course the way this show rolls she'll probably file papers to arrest Ryan for police brutality to the guys who were going to rape her.

One would think the FBI would have figured out who Theo is as in if the name they have now is his birth certificate name but if not whatever it is they should know he has a sister by now. Don't the police etc keep tabs on the family of felons they are looking for? By now we should know what their home life was like and anybody they might go to or likely places for them to go. Joe gave them Philly but they should have known that already. I'm guessing foster care or something because the sibs had a convo about how now they have control when they didn't when they were young. Sis is self medicating SOMETHING. Speaking of her addiction...everything I've ever seen of junkies lead me to believe that there is no way that a junkie would be able to keep secrets at the levels this chick has. At SOME point while stoned I'm sure she would spill that her brother is a serial killer. Oh I know she'd probably be talking to another junkie who wouldn't believe it or wouldn't care or wouldn't remember but the law of averages would seem to me to lead to her being a big risk for Theo. I wonder if he is capable of loving her so even if it becomes the expedient thing he wouldn't be able to kill her. Given how he was able to turn off his "love" for his wife, I suspect this guy IS cold enough to sacrifice his sis if he feels he needs to. I think we are looking at a true sociopath; incapable of real human emotion.

Seriously the first Lovecraft quote he picks is the right one? Serously? Do you know how many books he wrote and how many pages each was and therefore how many quotes could have been it even assuming that Lovecraft was the only writer that it could have been? (And did anybody follow the reasoning that it was Lovecraft? Did I hear right that he looked for what book SHOULD be in common between Strauss and Joe but wasn't? What the heck? Even if you picked the right book and again how do you do that most books have differences because of the edition. ) Then assuming this mumbo jumbo works what is uncoded is I assume longitude and latitude. IF it is a person would they always stay in the same place? If it isn't a person how could whatever is there help Theo? How could Strauss forsee a scenario where whatever/whoever is at those coordinates would be beneficial to a situation in which Theo finds himself in now? I am taking a wild guess and the coordinates lead to a dooms day device (poison gas, nuclear bomb etc) that Theo is going to use to leverage his way out of trouble. The obvious flaw in that being that a thing would not care about Ryan being alive or dead so that line about using Ryan's death as leverage doesn't make sense HOWEVER given the show's track record I would not be surprised if I'm right. Still hung up that if it is a person the coordinates would change. OTOH maybe it is a survivalist in a bunker who hasn't moved in 30 years.

• Love 2

Well, lets be honest - does anyone see this show getting a season four? Because frankly I was shocked that it got a season three. Joe is dead because we won't need him around. This ends with  Ryan Hardy holding a bloody knife over the body of his girlfriend while Max and Mikey look on in horror. And an obligatory "later" scene where Mikey is visiting Ryan on death row and this ALL STARTS AGAIN!

I can feel it, can't you?

I can see it getting a season four simply because they killed Joe with five more episodes left.  Should'nt Joe's death have been saved for episode fifteen?  It feels almost like a reset for another season with Ryan and company going in a new direction minus Joe.