Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Moving In

• Start Topic

ER nurses do not earn 6 figures!  Just an FYI,  ER doctors are on the bottom of the pay scale for physicians.  

Ok, then, what do they earn? Sean is driving a BMW and has a nice place in a state where real estate and property taxes are also crazy expensive. Maybe, not Manhattan expensive but still. 

• Love 1

Our buddy Google has the answer: the median salary for an ER nurse in NYC is $67,888, and the 90th percentile makes $82,011. (My brother is a psychiatric nurse in another state and makes more than that.)

I'm glad that Ryan R is growing on Jaclyn. I get him not fitting her ideal at first and her taking time to adjust to that. I don't necessarily agree with her approach there, but it seems to be working. The other two couples are doomed.

• Love 1

Ok, then, what do they earn? Sean is driving a BMW and has a nice place in a state where real estate and property taxes are also crazy expensive. Maybe, not Manhattan expensive but still. 

It varies depending on where you live.

"The average salary for a New York City Registered Nurse is $77,000 , which is 16.8% above the national average of $65,920 . Salary estimates based on 316 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by Registered Nurse employees in New York City, NY."

Another source.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Registered_Nurse_%28RN%29/Salary/474556de/New-York-NY

Edited by wings707

They REALLY need to consider the geography issue next time much more carefully-- these so-called experts! I hear they are in Atlanta now. Well as a former NYer moved to Atlanta, I get the geography issues in both towns. It's very important. People in Atlanta metro area choose a place to live most often to avoid commuting on the Highways at rush hour or any rush hour commute. There are a lot of good areas that are affordable to live in so if you get a job somewhere you usually try to live near it, or else when looking for job, turn down anything too far away.  I bet they will pick someone with a job on the northside and lives on the northside with someone in the city, who insists the new person live in the city, giving that person a  2 hour commute. I mean this is one of the main things that determines quality of life- how long each day you spend in traffic.

To match Ryan and Jaclyn who live 3 1/2 hours away? No one was looking at that! They may as well have matched her with someone in Boston or Washington DC for godsakes. 

When Davina said "Sean could have slept over and gone to work"- they left out the details, It probably meant waking up at 5am and commuting 2 hours for a 12 hour shift at the hospital. 

• Love 8

It varies depending on where you live.

"The average salary for a New York City Registered Nurse is $77,000 , which is 16.8% above the national average of $65,920 . Salary estimates based on 316 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by Registered Nurse employees in New York City, NY."

Another source.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Registered_Nurse_%28RN%29/Salary/474556de/New-York-NY

I looked at that too, Wings, but the source I had showed that ER nurses make less than the average NYC RNs do.

Production pays for the apartment and furnishes it, clearly.  The apt hunt was a set up like all the real estate shows.  Those places were secured long before this started.  They probably had to move all the furniture into the hall to film them looking at it.  

My speculation is that production does not pay for the new joint  apartment, but pays their rents and mortgages and expenses on their former apartment. This way they are seeing how it would be if they were really married, but do not make them give up the old place before the time is up. And then don't make them pay for two places at once. That to me makes the most sense. Then if they do get married, they can dump or sell the old place but at least they have a place to go back to. Vaughn never gave up his place, but how he would have paid for both places, I don't know.

and Drug company sales people are the sleaziest of the sleazes..they dress up all fancy and interrupt doctors bee essing bout how great some overpriced drug is for the big pharmaceutical companies who make a shitload of money if they can get the doctor to use the new drug and give her a big commission. I don't like these people! I've seen them in the doctor's office with their suitcases.

Edited by Bellalisa
  • Love 10

I looked at that too, Wings, but the source I had showed that ER nurses make less than the average NYC RNs do.

Yes they do, but Sean does not have to work in an ER.  Those links show that nurses do not make 6 figures; that is what I was aiming to say.  He is qualified to choose any open position, should this relationship work and they stay in Manhattan.  That felt so ridiculous to type!   LOL! 

• Love 1

I think production helps out with the moving, at least in terms of covering the rent in the old places for the 6 weeks just in case and perhaps help get places to look at quickly.

In the event Jessica and Ryan stay together though somehow, yeah if the place they got is one she really can't pay half toward will really come back at her. Ryan talks about how he "likes" to spend, but I feel like he's definitely the type to turn that around, "take you out!" "I pay the bills!" Whenever it suits him.

Edited by Gigi43

My speculation is that production does not pay for the new joint  apartment, but pays their rents and mortgages and expenses on their former apartment. This way they are seeing how it would be if they were really married, but do not make them give up the old place before the time is up. And then don't make them pay for two places at once. That to me makes the most sense. Then if they do get married, they can dump or sell the old place but at least they have a place to go back to. Vaughn never gave up his place, but how he would have paid for both places, I don't know.

and Drug company sales people are the sleaziest of the sleazes..they dress up all fancy and interrupt doctors bee essing bout how great some overpriced drug is for the big pharmaceutical companies who make a shitload of money if they can get the doctor to use the new drug and give her a big commission. I don't like these people! I've seen them in the doctor's office with their suitcases.

That makes sense.  Either way works. I think they rent the furniture for them, though.  Production does what works for themselves financially.   Ryan living in his mother's basement was a shoo in, if this is the case! 

I agree on pharmaceutical sales people.  Many just out of college take on this job until they find something better.  If you look at the professions in bios on most reality shows there is at least one young person who does this.  

I am surprised that Davina makes more than Ryan doing this.  I thought it was a lower paying job.  Guess not. 

Edited by wings707

I'm glad to hear they're moving on to another city (Atlanta) but agree that geography is going to be a problem almost anywhere you try and film it.  You need a large metro area with a generous population of single folks in the right age range.  Most big cities are surrounded by extensive suburbs.  If, for example, they wanted to do DC/Baltimore, you could end up with a couple that has a 2 hour + geographic spread. 

But here's the thing.  IT'S SIX WEEKS, two of which (or possibly more) are tied up with the wedding and honeymoon.  You can make almost any living situation work for a month! 

• Love 5

Jaclyn and Ryan are cute together and well matched.  I would not be surprised to learn, down the road, that they have his niece live with them (adopt?) and Ryan finds a job in real estate in an area they choose. It is fortunate he has a job he can do anywhere.  Mom doesn't look like she will fair well living alone so she may come along as part of the package, too.  Or someone else will step up to care for her.  I can see a future with them but it is still early.  

Ryan put out a picture of his family when he was a kid a few weeks ago and he is by far the youngest by quite a few years so I'm wondering if Mama Ryan relied on him more than his older brothers to fill the void of being a caretaker to both her and later Kayla if they brothers were already established with their families.     Whatever the dynamic was, at least Mama Ryan was open to him marrying a complete stranger. 

• Love 2

Sheesh, I don't like Sean at all, but Davina's getting on my last nerve right now. I don't fault her for wanting to stay in Manhattan, since she told the experts it was a deal breaker for her, and if Sean said he'd relocate, then that's what he needs to do. BUT I also understand Sean not being thrilled about moving from his spacious house to a closet with a view of brick walls through the windows. He has every right to feel uncomfortable about it. The least Davina could've done is give him a few days to adjust before starting to look for faults again. No one's gonna feel more comfortable under constant scrutiny. Maybe they failed to show us some meaningful moments this episode, but Davina's complaining just seemed so premature. What exactly did she expect him to do to court her in the middle of moving? She seems hormonal.

Ryan D. is still a total jerk. I swear he wanted to pay more than her just so he could have something to hold over her head in every argument. What on earth was that closet argument even? This pairing still baffles the life out of me. When someone has trouble expressing themselves then you match them with someone patient and supportive, whose reaction to things they don't have to be scared of. You most definitely don't pair them up with someone who blows a fuse the moment they even sense you being displeased about something. Poor Jessica.

Ryan R and Jaclyn are way too cute! I don't see anything forced there. She was just really closed off from any romance at first, probably due to being single for 7 years and not having sex in 2. Now that she's feeling comfortable around him, she's started falling for him bad. Kind of adorable. I hope he feels the same way. I also understand Ryan feeling sad about leaving his mom and niece. He's been a part of their daily lives for so long and now he lives like an hour or two away. He can't just pop by whenever.

• Love 6

If this show catches on they may get a larger pool of people.  Doubtful but maybe!  

Yes, Ryan's mother was sweet and clearly wants the best for her son.  She sees time flying for him and that he is not in the best position to meet women.  She was probably glad he applied to this show and is hoping it works for him.  If they stay together they will work out something for his Mom and niece.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
Ryan R. moving from Long Island and Jac moving from New Jersey to Queens! This is culture shock! I don't know if these two kids from the burbs are going to be ok with that situation for long...

It will take some adjustment and in the long run be disappointing, but I don't think it's half the culture shock that it would be for Sean to move to Manhattan.  Knowing the particular cultures of all these places I see it differently.  The problem with Astoria (I have a good friend who lived there for several years) is that it's not upscale and sophisticated enough for Ryan and Jaclyn for the long haul.  If they were going to stay with Queens they'd have to pick a different neighborhood, IMO.  Sean might as well have come from the moon as come from Jackson, NJ and move to Manhattan, especially because he admitted that he's never spent more than a few hours there.  That's ridiculous.  These "experts" should be ashamed of themselves pairing Sean with someone who ALREADY had an apartment in the works that she would make the two of them live in.  Didn't they ask HER if she were willing to compromise?  Perhaps Sean acted like he'd be more flexible but I can't blame him for wanting to leave just based on Davina's attitude about it alone.  Perhaps if he were more into her he might have given in on that point.  But given how much she has demanded of him and emasculated him to this point I don't blame him one bit. For this situation to have worked out they would have had to be crazy about each other, and Davina has done just about everything to make a man (any man) run the other way.  Sean would not be my choice either but wow, does she have to be such a bitch about her "bucket list"?

And BTW, Jackson, NJ is 70 miles from Manhattan.  Let me tell you, even if the traffic was good that would be at least a 2 hour ride what with the way the roads and traffic are going into the city from NJ.  Google maps is smoking dope to put it at an hour and a half.  I can barely even go 70 miles to Manhattan from CT in that time with no traffic and doing 80 mph!

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 3

I can understand Davina not wanting to leave Manhattan.  In Manhattan she probably has everything she needs in walking distance.  She might feel, why live someplace where I have to drive  to buy a quart of milk?  Plus cars are expensive and a pain in the ass (gas, inspections, mechanics, etc).  Now in life, things change, lives change and Davina might have grown to love New Jersey, but it would have taken time, can't be done with a sledgehammer.

This is why I call bullshit on the show.  In reality, Davina wouldn't be with a man like Sean.  Why couldn't they find a white man who lived in Manhattan for her?  Why create unnecessary conflict?  That's what I'd like to ask the experts.

Yeah, I think the couple has to be really into each other right away to overcome such big differences in their living preferences.  The practical situation between Davina and Sean would be hard enough for people in love to compromise on let alone people who just met.  Davina is expecting Sean to be madly in love with her when all she has done is stay in her head and not let him anywhere near her feelings.  Not that he is capable of being that close either but she certainly hasn't let him even try.  I suppose if he made a ton of money and loved Manhattan she might let him in a little more, but she is so demanding and deluded about herself that who would want to get closer to her anyway?  I just think both of them have issues and are a bad match in just about every way.

• Love 3

I can sort of see where Davina is coming from.  Perhaps she's seen men as abusive and is trying to put herself in a position where she will not be abused. 

I get why Davina didn't want to leave Manhattan though.  I think she said she sold her apartment and bought another one.  But I think the experts were on crack,  I mean they could have found Davina a white man who lived in another borough, or even in Fort Lee NJ, or Westchester County.

• Love 2

Davina is very unreasonable. I think Sean would've felt a lot better if he weren't the only one making sacrifices. Then she gets pissy because he has to work? I would have bounced for 2 days too. This woman is too much.

Did Ryan D. really get pissy at Jessica for laughing about something during their little closet debacle? He is such an ass.

He absolutely did not get pissy. He said he would like to take all of the closet and she could take all of the dresser if that was OK with her, and she sort of snort/laughed. That's when he asked her, in a very non-threatening, non-abusive way, why she was laughing. She would not say she wasn't in favor of it and speak up...she just withdrew into herself and then expressed her anger in private on camera. I like Jessica, but I don't like the fact she's so quick to "categorize" Ryan, like 'oh that's what ex-boyfriend #2 used to do. And why is he an ass? He was perfectly willing to live in her apartment...she's the one who wasn't mature enough to handle it.

• Love 8

It was so bizarre how Ryan D kept repeating over and over 'you want the dresser, take it, it's okay.. you already took it.'  Huh?  It's like he had created a situation where he was doing her a favor by pretending she wanted the dresser all to herself, so he deserved the closet all to himself.

He asked her several times if she was OK with it. He didn't create a situation.....he explained that he has a lot of suits he wears for business. To me, business takes presidence over less formal wear for closet space IF you really wear the stuff all the time. If it's something you need for your job. We've all said he's a bit selfish and this would have been the point that (and maybe she did and we didn't see it) Jessica spoke up and said she'd need some of the closet too. But I shook my head when she didn't say anything to him but made a point to complain on camera. That's not the way to do it.

• Love 7

I hate everything about Ryan D. His face, eyebrows, voice, the hat he wore, the velvet track suit, and that bossy, steamrolling personality. He is a total toolshed. Jessica is gonna flip soon. I can sense it's coming. They won't make it to the end of the experiment. Davina and Sean probably analyze bowel movements and how they feel about it. They don't talk like normal people. I hate her and he's a prick. Ryan R is growing on me

I like Ryan and he's done nothing improper the last two episodes. The one that should flip soon is him...at Jessica. She's a whiner that already is convinced Ryan is going to turn out just like her other boyfriends so doesn't speak up for herself if she doesn't like what he is doing but rather, waits till he's not in the room and then complains to the camera.

LOL about S&D's OVER-analyzing. Davina is trying to complain to Sean and he practically hands her the shovel and says "are you saying I just need to get out of my own way blah blah blah" and after a big long speech about it there's a pause, she looks relieved, and breathes out "Yes", as if that is really what she meant. 

• Love 4

I didn't love Davina's behavior in this episode, but the thing is, Sean told the experts he'd be okay with relocating. Time to put up or shut up, Sean.

I wasn't too bothered by Ryan and Jessica for once, but they hardly even look at each other. It's kind of sad.

I'm worried that Jaclyn is more into Ryan than he's into her.

LOL, that's never going to happen.

Davina has the ability to make absolutely everything about her. Yes, Sean is acting very overwhelmed, and instead of asking him how he's feeling she makes it about how she is feeling. Something I've learned in marriage is there are 2 people with 2 sets of feelings. This feels very much like two individuals that are stuck together. I was reading things about Sean online and I don't doubt he's a playboy. He seems totally uninterested in being fully committed. That said, Davina feels too high maintenance for me to even begin to share a life with someone. It bothered me when she was talking about how much more successful she was than him. She was going on and on about how men resent her. I was single once too. I made a ton of money too. And it was NEVER an issue then and isn't an issue now. Because 1. I don't discuss it 2. my husband and I share all finances 3. I still let him pay for everything so he feels like the chivalrous man providing for his family. Any modern man would not have an issue with a woman making more money now. I've also learned that financial stability is fleeting. Who knows if she will have a child and leave that behind. It's temporary Davina. Stop letting your career define who you are. That's why people don't like you! 

Ryan D and Jessica. OMG this woman has absolutely no spine whatsoever and he's a controlling jerk. What the heck was with his velour running suit? Is it 1985? I felt like I was watching a Cyndi Lauper Video with that get up. I detest him as a human. I feel bad for her. But Dr. Logan was right that unless she asserts herself every single man will steam roll their way right over her.

Ryan R and Jacklyn. I like them still. But I still hate his accent. She's trying. It does feel a bit forced. But I liked that they compromised. Compromise is key in marriage.

LOL, I can't stand how RR talks. Whenever he talks, it sounds like he's got a stopped up nose. Is that a NY accent? I'm from the Midwest, but the accents I've heard in movies and on TV don't sound so congested like he does. It drives me nuts.

• Love 1

He absolutely did not get pissy. He said he would like to take all of the closet and she could take all of the dresser if that was OK with her, and she sort of snort/laughed. That's when he asked her, in a very non-threatening, non-abusive way, why she was laughing. She would not say she wasn't in favor of it and speak up...she just withdrew into herself and then expressed her anger in private on camera. I like Jessica, but I don't like the fact she's so quick to "categorize" Ryan, like 'oh that's what ex-boyfriend #2 used to do. And why is he an ass? He was perfectly willing to live in her apartment...she's the one who wasn't mature enough to handle it.

Uhm...his behavior during the honeymoon is enough for me or anyone else to detect an asshole. If his way of showing a partner affection is flipping her off a jet-ski, he's an asshole. And he asked "Why is that funny" in a very defensive tone. He steamrolled her with the closet situation and yes, she should have spoke up for herself but had she done that it would've been a huge blowup. Did you see the preview for next week? The guy is a straight up bully. 

• Love 11

Did Davina (who I think I am going to start referring to as "diva") tell Sean they should have sex?  did I miss that?  I kind of tune out when they are on because they are so exhausting to watch.  But I can't believe I missed Miss Pristine telling the horn dog that she wanted to have sex and he bailed on her.

Edited by butterbean1
  • Love 1

Any modern man would not have an issue with a woman making more money now. 

One might be surprised about this. I don't think Davina approached it in anything like a constructive way, but it was bound to be an issue eventually.

Edited by girlplease
  • Love 1
butterbean1, on 22 Apr 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:butterbean1, on 22 Apr 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:

Did Davina (who I think I am going to start referring to as "diva") tell Sean they should have sex?  did I miss that?  I kind of tune out when they are on because they are so exhausting to watch.  But I can't believe I missed Miss Pristine telling the horn dog that she wanted to have sex and he bailed on her.

She's using vague promises of sex to manipulate Sean.  I'm guessing he's heard it before (off camera) and it never led to anything.

Sean wants sex on the honeymoon and Davina nixes the idea so Sean pulls back and immediately Davina starts talking about "ramping it up" and "you're not my brother" and we have to have some sex.  Remember how she wanted to wait until they were "in love"?  Anyone think that's happened yet?  Odds are that, if Sean would have caved and stayed the night, Davina would have found a reason to not have sex. 

It irritates me and Sean's one redeeming quality is that he's not willing to play along...yet.  We'll see.

Edited by Jack Sampson
  • Love 4

Jessica was adamant she wanted a "man that wore the pants in a relationship".  She got that.  She also told the experts she was the one wearing the pants in her previous relationship and it was a "big turn off".  Now it seems clear she wants to be the person in charge of the relationship and resents that Ryan is a take charge kind of guy.  Jessica is far too immature and self-involved for a marriage.  It seems her parents spoiled her and she pouts when things don't go her way in life.

When Ryan told her he needed the closet in the bedroom & she could have the entire dresser she pouted and got snotty about it.  He told her she could have the other closet where she had already stored some of her clothes, but that wasn't good enough.  He was giving her far more storage for her clothes than he was getting for himself.  The bedroom closet was small & he had no dresser. 

She claims communication is key but she is a terrible communicator. 

• Love 3

I think Sean is just absolutely 100% turned off by her incessant need to discuss every single thing. She reminds me of the type of person that needs to plan going to the bathroom.  She probably plans a girls night and has an outline of when it will be appropriate to laugh. I can't blame the dude for pulling back with her. She is exhausting.

• Love 5

What struck me about this whole episode is that Ryan and Jaclyn are the only couple who seem to have any fun with each other and have a friendship.  And if you don't enjoy each other enough to have some fun, there is little hope for a marriage to work long-term.  Ryan and Jessica seem to go from one argument/conflict to another, and the tension and angst with Sean and Davina is truly exhausting.  Even if they get past 6 weeks there is little chance for the last two couples to ever make it work.

• Love 6

The costs of living in NYC is killing me!!  I live in the upper South in a suburb 15 minutes from an urban area.  I have a nice brick ranch, 3 bedrooms, 2-car garage, on an acre of land that is quiet, with a beautiful yard with flowers, pear trees and an awesome Weeping Willow and I have a vegetable garden every summer.  It's bucolic. My house payment is less than $500 a month.  I have a huge family get together every 4th of July and there is plenty of free parking for all.  I have lived in big cities in CA and TX and I am fairly close to both St. Louis and Nashville.  I love the pulse of a big city, but there is no way in hell I would pay over $3,000/month for a tiny apt., no matter how much money I make. And I make pretty good money where I am, and it's not eaten up with rent.

• Love 4

The costs of living in NYC is killing me!!  I live in the upper South in a suburb 15 minutes from an urban area.  I have a nice brick ranch, 3 bedrooms, 2-car garage, on an acre of land that is quiet, with a beautiful yard with flowers, pear trees and an awesome Weeping Willow and I have a vegetable garden every summer.  It's bucolic. My house payment is less than $500 a month.  I have a huge family get together every 4th of July and there is plenty of free parking for all.  I have lived in big cities in CA and TX and I am fairly close to both St. Louis and Nashville.  I love the pulse of a big city, but there is no way in hell I would pay over $3,000/month for a tiny apt., no matter how much money I make. And I make pretty good money where I am, and it's not eaten up with rent.

Yep. I live in the Upper Midwest. We own a 1/3 of an acre and have 3300 sq ft, 4 bd, 4 bath home. We pay $1800 a month!

A former co worker of mine is friends with Sean on his real facebook page. Most of it is blocked except some past activity.  He is friends with a lot of people from a hospital in Pennington New Jersey.  So assuming he works there, I googled the distance between there and Manhattan and it is 1 hour and 33 minutes.  On top of that it said there is no train in the town of Pennington that takes you to New York.  It's a 15 minute drive to the closest train station that takes you into the city.  Davina really needs to cut the guy a break!

• Love 2
Jessica was adamant she wanted a "man that wore the pants in a relationship".  She got that.  She also told the experts she was the one wearing the pants in her previous relationship and it was a "big turn off".  Now it seems clear she wants to be the person in charge of the relationship and resents that Ryan is a take charge kind of guy.  Jessica is far too immature and self-involved for a marriage.  It seems her parents spoiled her and she pouts when things don't go her way in life.

I think Jessica got exactly what she said she wanted; it's like, "be careful what you wish for."

As for rents in NYC, yes they are expensive, but sometimes living isn't only about money.   I once lived in a small city in the south and I gained way too much weight.  Why?  There were no sidewalks, nowhere to walk and even if there were, nowhere to walk to.  I had to drive for twenty minutes to the supermarket, I had to drive to the post office, the library; in Manhattan I can walk to those places.  And we had a nice little house with a garden and a large two car garage, and it was cool, until it wasn't, with a house, every year stuff had to be repaired, or you had to put gas in the car, and the car had to pass inspection and then I had to worry about fools on the road.  I realized that I don't need that much space to live and I preferred to be able to walk where I wanted to go and didn't like driving.  So different strokes for different folks.

• Love 6

I was born and raised in NYC.  When we moved to the suburbs, the rent on our two bedroom apt in Manhattan was $315. When it was being increased to $335, my dad decided that he'd rather spend that "kind of money" on his own home. Heh!  Granted this was back in '79, but still.  I just cannot comprehend paying $3600 for a studio.  I don't care if it's on Central Park West or Fifth Avenue.  That is just crazy! 

Ryan D said that he usually spends about $50 to $60 a day for meals.  He was willing to pay up to $2500 for his share of the rent.  Which begs the question, what does he do for a living?

I noticed at the end of the honeymoon and during the holidays, Sean is just going through the motions with Davina, I guess for the show. No real interest, no warmth and no sign of attraction or pursuit. So, I guess now he is no longer interested in sex with her either. The turn around was so quick, and I am not sure what happened. I am thinking he liked what he saw at the wedding, but then he changed his mind? I originally thought they did have sex on the wedding night and he lost interest after that, but now I am not sure. I know she is not popular here, but Sean is just as analytical as she is, and he is even more preachy and doesn't listen.

BTW, Manhattan is a very exciting unique place that is worth it to those who value that lifestyle and the energy of living there. I worked there and it was my dream at the time, but I don't really belong there. It has always been very expensive. Brooklyn is more recently expensive.

• Love 3

Well, $3600 for a studio is a bit much, but not everybody wants a house.  To me, a house is good if you have children and/or if one person is handy.  Other than that, it can quickly become a money pit.

• Love 2

LOL, I can't stand how RR talks. Whenever he talks, it sounds like he's got a stopped up nose. Is that a NY accent? I'm from the Midwest, but the accents I've heard in movies and on TV don't sound so congested like he does. It drives me nuts.

Ryan has a very typically Long Island accent.  The stopped up nose is not part of that, though.  Ryan reminds me of guys I knew in the New York area.  In a good way.  I get the feeling he's a good guy.  His accent and manner of speaking kind of bother me now, but probably wouldn't have 25 years ago when I still lived in NY.  I think I could get over being irritated by it it based on his "nice guy" personality.

• Love 1

Jessica comes from a Hispanic-American culture.  I am not Hispanic myself but I have known many Hispanics from the NY area and it would not surprise me to hear a woman from a Hispanic background saying that.  What they really want is the breast beating type who thinks he's the pants in the family but the women are the ones who know how to manipulate the men and get what they want anyway.  The men are passive aggressive and let the women think they're getting what they want when they are really the ones in control (at least in their minds if not reality).  I don't think Ryan D. comes from this kind of background at all and isn't fitting into that mold too well.

• Love 1

I hate city living and I'm way more active in my small town. I lived in a large city growing up. I could walk to anything, but here I can walk to the trails, I can walk to the lakes, and I can walk to the farms and see the horses. I weighed more in the city because we ate out more frequently. Here we cook and enjoy life. New homes aren't money pits, and I've always had a car payment so I don't worry about those expenses. It's interesting to see the NYC perspective about cars. In the midwest you have to have a car to do everything so it's just not something you think about.

Well, $3600 for a studio is a bit much, but not everybody wants a house.  To me, a house is good if you have children and/or if one person is handy.  Other than that, it can quickly become a money pit.

Tell me about it!  The suburbs around NY and the "Tri-State Area" are pretty expensive too and you do have the extra expenses of owning a house.  I think hubbie and I could potentially afford $2500+ in rent per month as opposed to owning in the 'burbs.  The problem with NY recently is that rents keep going up and not many apartments are stabilized anymore to prevent rents from going up astronomically.  My best friend has had to move several times because the rents were getting too high for her in Brooklyn.  The alternative is buying but forget it, you need over a million for even a small apartment in Manhattan anymore.  And Brooklyn has gotten out of control.  I saw an article that it is now the most expensive place to live in the U.S.  New York is not like anywhere else in the country, except maybe San Francisco.  I think the NY area might not have been the best location to do this show given the difficulties with the cost of living plus the logistics of travel and relocation.  I notice all these people are in good paying careers, except for perhaps Jessica.  They would have to be to afford living in NYC these days unless they move to a dump or live with roommates.  I am not sure where Jessica lives with her roommate but I can't imagine it's in any kind of trendy area.

Edited by Snarklepuss

I know several (more than 10) drug reps personally and professionally.  They make serious bank, with pretty sizable bonuses quarterly.  They also have a company car and a corporate card that has minimal oversight, so a lot of their expenses are covered in addition to "extras".  One relative of mine put her cruise on her corporate card.  They will also use the card to buy lunch for offices and will buy extra to take home for themselves.  NONE of the people I know have degrees in the sciences, they're all BA in communications, English, anthropology etc.  And they all have a certain "look" to them, much like Davina and also Ryan D.  Young, thin, attractive and very well dressed (also paid for on the corporate card).  As a person in the medical field in a family who are all also medical professionals, I can tell you that drug reps are universally loathed by the medical communities that they serve.  The only real reason that they're tolerated is because they give samples which the doctors then can give to patients who can't afford their prescriptions.

Watching Davina whine to Sean last night, after he moved for her, that she "wants to be courted", I wanted to scream.  Does anyone else remember the wedding episode when everyone was giving their gifts to the new spouses?  All the rest of the cast gave sort of generic "wedding" type gifts like a flask or wine glasses.  Davina gave Sean a locked box (OMG!  We both gave each other KEYS!!  SQUEEEEE!), that inside was all about HER.  Even his wedding gift was self centered.  I don't much like Sean, but Davina makes me stabby.

LOVE Ryan R and Jaclyn.  I just keep smiling while they're on the screen.  Jessica needs Monet to come give her some lessons on how to grow some spine.

• Love 11

They are supposed to be matching these people based on this long important list and the "where do you want to live?" is not one of the criteria? It's insane that they never found out from Sean that he does NOT like NYC and would never be happy living in Manhattan. How did they miss this tidbit? They asked if he was willing to relocate and he said OK- like most people maybe he was thinking he would be happy in another house in another city. But they never got specifics about this like that he is not going to ever want to move into an expensive crowded city. I can understand how he would say he was willing to move. The experts suck because they missed such a basic question with is so important when matching people! 500 questions and they never asked Sean how he felt about living in a smaller place, a bigger city or anything like that. Just "would you relocate?". They got her to say she will NOT move out of manhattan so you think before they matched them they would have asked him how he felt about living there. You would think that, no? It's infuriating.

• Love 3

My heart is breaking for Jessica. She won't engage because she doesn't want Ryan to get mad. She said she was walking on eggshells and I think she might be a little afraid of him. Yes, she should stick up for herself and push back a little, but she's not wired that way. And now she's doing everything she can to avoid a confrontation. But it doesn't matter, since he seems to regard anything other than her complete agreement as a challenge. That whole exchange about the dresser/closet was just ridiculous. "I have suits!" Um, Jessica probably has some dresses. you can't really put those in a drawer. He's a dick.

I love Ryan and Jackie and I think they will do the best. They are both very thoughtful and considerate of the other. Ryan is so laid back and low key, but I think he's pretty funny, and Jackie likes to laugh. I smile whenever they're on. Which is good because Sean and Davina make me want to claw out my own eyeballs.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 2

I am no fan of Sean, but Diva Davina is ridiculous in her lack of compromise & high expectation that Sean do everything her way.

Here's a thought - Hey, experts: how about not casting anyone who has a Hard No for relocation? It's a sign of immaturity. When someone claims they want a partner in life more than anything, then that someone should have an open mind and stop trying to make every single little rule. Finding the right partner can open your world tremendously in ways you never imagined. Take a note, Davina!

God help Sean if he does sleep with Davina, because she will just point out how it didn't match her expectations. And then she will make him talk about it with her for 14 hours.

• Love 9

She and Ryan D are the biggest narcissists out there. There is a reason they are both still single. All they do is talk about themselves and how much money they have. What the heck does Ryan D even do for a living? I highly doubt he has that successful of a business. I don't believe he's spending $1500 a month on eating out. That's insane.

• Love 1