Type keyword(s) to search

Sherri Shepherd: "Is the Earth flat?"

springtime
  • Start Topic

Perhaps she is evolving? Or wanted to dance the night away with her friends, or felt she owed Russo since he did her wedding. Or networking.

It is odd because of her past words as well as her coolness to gays on the show, seems to me.

Personally, I hope she is evolving. She tweeted too that Fatone's speech at the wedding was the best because the message was "you taught me not to judge a book by it's cover." Guess we'll never truly  know.

• Love 1

I don't consider that a few posters (myself included) are judging Sherri's "character" because she attended a wedding of two gay men.  We are commenting on her past words, actions, and judgments--some of which were unkind.

• Love 13

But I do wonder why would a gay person want to be friends with Sherri?  If someone disapproved of the way I lived my life and thought I was going to be burn in Hell for eternity because of it I wouldn't want to be in the same room with her let alone invite her to my wedding.

That was my first thought as well. I personally would have no interaction with someone as condescendingly offensive and self-righteous as Sherri Shepherd. The funny thing is I still manage to feel sympathy for her with all the drama with her ex-husbands, knowing full well she would have no sympathy in return.

• Love 3

Re: the attendance at a gay wedding. I think that a lot of people expect a consistency between words and actions here. It would be no big deal if she hadn't trumpeted time and time again that she was opposed to the "gay lifestyle" and gay marriage and yet here she goes to a gay wedding. One thing has been evident over the years... there is nothing consistent between many of her words and many of her actions.

My sister is a right winger who is opposed to gay marriage. She is also a 'good Christian' who would not attend a gay marriage ceremony because that would denote public approval on her part by attending. Her sister-in-law was married last week to her partner of thirty years when gay marriage was finally OK'd in her state. Did she go? No. But she would not say out loud that she didn't go because it was against her God's law. Instead she mentioned that she and her husband (her sister in law's brother) could not attend because of a prior commitment. That they sent flowers to the home (not to the ceremony itself because that would be a public display of approval - she didn't say as much but I know that is why based upon her beliefs).

She and her husband are close to his sister and his sister's partner. But gay marriage is not something they approve of or endorse. IMHO, aside from how narrow minded I think this is, to me this is a love the sinner, not approve of the sin, scenario.

I hope that doesn't sound as clear as mud. I think that by Sherri's past strong beliefs that people are nonplussed when she goes ahead and gives tacit approval to something she has disapproved of.

• Love 3

Attending a gay wedding!  How shocking!  Yes, definitely worth judging her character negatively for doing that.

I think you misunderstood my post.   I wan't judging her character, just expressing my surprise.  Sherri has made her views pretty clear in the past, I would not expect her to attend a gay wedding, as I wouldn't expect that she would approve. 

• Love 3

Russo (that got married) was her wedding planner. Fatone was on DWTS. I think Sherri just can't put her moral/religious standards above the desire to party, network, see friends, ,dance the night away.

Maryis.....ITA. I actually admire your sister for standing behind her standards in a Christian way. And I have been for gay marriage from the beginning and always gay rights. And I am a straight...and a senior.

I have a friend that is "close" to some men that are gay that she met on a cruise in that they were so nice and they email, exchange little gifts. But I can tell she is against their lifestyle, and they have been together for 30 years. Her right but I did comment "why do you call them your "gay friends" rather than friends?"  But we have been friends for over 40, lol. In any event, she has not done that again since then.

And that is why I think Sherri has an alternative reason for attending - for herself.

• Love 2

Today. 8:42 pm

Re: the attendance at a gay wedding. I think that a lot of people expect a consistency between words and actions here. It would be no big deal if she hadn't trumpeted time and time again that she was opposed to the "gay lifestyle" and gay marriage and yet here she goes to a gay wedding. One thing has been evident over the years... there is nothing consistent between many of her words and many of her actions.

My sister is a right winger who is opposed to gay marriage. She is also a 'good Christian' who would not attend a gay marriage ceremony because that would denote public approval on her part by attending. Her sister-in-law was married last week to her partner of thirty years when gay marriage was finally OK'd in her state. Did she go? No. But she would not say out loud that she didn't go because it was against her God's law. Instead she mentioned that she and her husband (her sister in law's brother) could not attend because of a prior commitment. That they sent flowers to the home (not to the ceremony itself because that would be a public display of approval - she didn't say as much but I know that is why based upon her beliefs).

She and her husband are close to his sister and his sister's partner. But gay marriage is not something they approve of or endorse. IMHO, aside from how narrow minded I think this is, to me this is a love the sinner, not approve of the sin, scenario.

I hope that doesn't sound as clear as mud. I think that by Sherri's past strong beliefs that people are nonplussed when she goes ahead and gives tacit approval to something she has disapproved of

I think you did a great job of explaining the situation.  I have a different experience.

A great good friend, gay, was estranged from some of his family for many, many years.  His 'born again' sis would not allow her kids to be around my friend or his partner (of now 30 yrs) apparently because they would recruit?  I don't understand the mindset so I don't know what would motivate a sister to be so cruel.

He therefore limited his family contact to his parents.

Until..wait for it...the oldest son of the sis ...came out as gay....sis became more accepting and, while Christian, is apparently no longer 'born again'.

I find the story almost incredible...that people could be so accepting, when a sister does not attend a sister's wedding?  This is a truly sad story and frankly one I would not be able to forgive.  I am not that big a person I guess.  For a sibling to stand in judgment over my life, to the point of not attending my wedding is unacceptable to me.

If I married a person from another race, would that sibling stand back and hold her nose and still claim that she loved me.. not believable.

Talk about passive aggressive.  I really hope the couple in the story have little or nothing to do with  the judgmental 'born agains'.

It must be hard to live you life in full judgment of everyone who is not you.

Sad, sad, sad.

• Love 7
(edited)

Sherri posts a lot of tweets asking her god for help or asking for strength.  She used the word "unconquerable."  I was looking for tweets about excitement and looking forward to thrilling endeavors after having made her "seven-year" decision to leave The View.  Am I naive (that is not pronounced "nave")?

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 2

I don't follow her on Twitter. Does she ever mention the baby? It must be hard to be in the more of a real-life situation and not acknowledging it in public. What a tangled mess!

No, she doesn't say anything on Twitter. Now Sal is another story on Twitter. Baby shower info, baby "LJ" updates and of course his Sex Talk retweets.  I hope he doesn't get a dime from Sherri other than the 60K.

  Retweeted by Sal 

Sex Talk™ @SexTaIk     ·   Jul 11

• Love 2

If Sherri has evolved and is noow accepting of gay relationships/marriages, I say good for her. From my understanding, the entertainment industry is full of people who are homosexual - makeup artists, fashion photographers, stylists, home decorators, actors --- the list goes on and on.  My point is that Sherri was  probably surrounded by people like that, their spouses, significant others, their families and probably saw/sees they are just like every other family. Maybe that changed her view and she has made a personal change of heart regarding the issue.

My issue has more to do with the timeline. I vividly remember how upset she got at the thought of Jeffrey dressing up in "girly" clothes or reading a book about two male penguins raising a baby together. I think she has stated she was a gainst gay marriage. So what changed? Much like when Hasselbeck suddenly was for gay marriage, when did it happen? That's why it's confusing to read that Sherri attended a wedding of same sex partners.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wonder why Sal would go to a Catholic mass

(a significant other's influence?, feels he needs some guidance?, wants LJ baptized? Is his Mom is visiting? lol  )

I love the "Had a good time and was done in an hour."

Sal @SalfromtheD  ·  10h

Went to a Catholic Church today.  Very interesting, a lot of singing and kneeling.  Had a good time and was done in an hour.  Good deal :)
Edited by springtime

Sal @SalfromtheD  ·  10h

Went to a Catholic Church today.  Very interesting, a lot of singing and kneeling.  Had a good time and was done in an hour.  Good deal :)

Wow Sal has such great ideas about religion "done in an hour.  Good deal :)" What a "great" father he will be...........

This article would be great for Jenny's son to find as he roams the internet:

http://www.classicalite.com/articles/10076/20140725/view-2014-cast-news-sherri-shepherd-divorces-baby-topless-jenny-mccarthy.htm

• Love 1

If Sherri has evolved and is noow accepting of gay relationships/marriages, I say good for her

Stacee, you give you far more credit than me.  I think since Sherri no longer has the View gig and looking for more employment opportunities I think she probably realized her being so publicly anti-gay might make it difficult for her find mainstream acting/hosting gigs.  Celebs have to apologize all the time for a lot less offensive things they have said in regards to being gay.  So if Sherri is now "accepting' of gay marriage then I think it's all part of image rehab.

• Love 6

I wonder if the Catholic church post was designed to needle Sherri. She is evangelical and a lot of them (not all) have problems with Catholics. Bitsy, who was raised Catholic and went to a Catholic college but went evangelical when she married into the Hasselbeck family) threw shade on Catholics on occasion when she was on the View.

Posting the stuff about the baby seems designed to me to hurt Sherri (we don't know what Sherri's position is concerning thiis baby, but given that only a few months ago, she was looking forward to raising a baby with a man she loved and whom she thought loved her, so this must make her sad), it wouldn't surprise me if the Catholic mention was designed to upset her as well.

If Sherri has evolved and is noow accepting of gay relationships/marriages, I say good for her. From my understanding, the entertainment industry is full of people who are homosexual - makeup artists, fashion photographers, stylists, home decorators, actors --- the list goes on and on.  My point is that Sherri was  probably surrounded by people like that, their spouses, significant others, their families and probably saw/sees they are just like every other family. Maybe that changed her view and she has made a personal change of heart regarding the issue.

My issue has more to do with the timeline. I vividly remember how upset she got at the thought of Jeffrey dressing up in "girly" clothes or reading a book about two male penguins raising a baby together. I think she has stated she was a gainst gay marriage. So what changed? Much like when Hasselbeck suddenly was for gay marriage, when did it happen? That's why it's confusing to read that Sherri attended a wedding of same sex partners.

Hasselbeck is for gay marriage? I'm amazed. 

Hasselbeck is for gay marriage? I'm amazed

Two reasons Elisabeth became in favor of gay marriage.  One a lot Republicans (Cindy McCain to name one) spoke in favor of it and at the time President Obama was still only in favor of civil unions.  Elisabeth loved being able to badmouth him about that.

• Love 2

Bitsy's "conversion" to gay marriage is a suspect one. Back when California was voting on banning it, she and Sherri were screaming about how this would devalue her own marriage (how?)I and that priests etc. would be thrown into jail for not performing gay marriages (not true.) Melissa Etheridge came on the show and calmly and politely shot it all down. Shortly thereafter Bitsy announced that she had dinner with Melissa "as two moms" and concluded that gay marriage was awesome. Shortly before she left, she announced she supported "gay marriage to the nines" (whatever that means.)

The cynic in me suspected that this was a calculated attempt by Bitsy to prove she wasn't just a Hannity parrot. And also, as referenced above, the entertainment industry has historically been gay friendly and it's probably not a good idea to come off as a bigot.

Bitsy also used to scream about how awful "don't ask don't tell" because at the time, Obama supported it. In short, Bitsy doesn't have organic opinions. Everything she says has an angle.

Of course, what could be going on here is that the wedding planner guy whose wedding Sherri went to, is looking for publicity himself. If I recall from the wedding special, he was a bit of a famewhore himself. (Lots of fake drama).

• Love 3

Haha, mbutterfly, or less than an hour - gotta beat everybody else to the restaurants.:)  We had a reverend from England once and he told us that he was told that by our reverend.

I'm thinking that Sherri was fine with gays until her big Christian conversion - not sure what denomination or even if it is one - that is against them and their marriage.  She's going to have to walk an interesting line to please both sides.

I wonder if Sal actually did the kneeling.  I can't kneel because of the knots on both knees from Osgood-Schlatters.

• Love 1

Stacee...I think the timeline might just be "timing." Broadway is very gay friendly.  My cynical self reads that Sherri really wants a key spot in a Broadway musical.  Time to change her stripes. Quickly!

• Love 6

Stacee...I think the timeline might just be "timing." Broadway is very gay friendly.  My cynical self reads that Sherri really wants a key spot in a Broadway musical.  Time to change her stripes. Quickly!

Well Former Nun if you are a cynic then some am I.  I do NOT for one minute believe Sherri has changed her beliefs about anything concerning homosexuality..  It wasn't that long ago she gave her non apology apology for that interview she gave when she made those offensive remarks.

I actually find it very insulting (and I'm not even gay) that Sherri thinks she can suddenly be gay-friendly.  Does she not realize everything she has said will follow her wherever she goes?

• Love 12

My cynical self reads that Sherri really wants a key spot in a Broadway musical.  Time to change her stripes. Quickly!

I have to agree Former Nun! I think Sherri will do or say whatever gets the next job. I just wish she would stick to tv or movie acting jobs. She is actually good using someone else's words.

Sherri must have good legal counsel who is telling her not to say anything regarding the divorce or baby. I think this will help her while Sal's inane tweets make him look the fool.

• Love 2

Yes, when I posted about Sherri going to the wedding that was my first thought. It came too soon after the rumor that she is trying to land a Broadway role.  She's trying to undo damage to her reputation when it comes to gays

• Love 3

That's why it's confusing to read that Sherri attended a wedding of same sex partners.

Well, it was the wedding of the guy that planned her wedding to Sal. And we all know how well that turned out!

• Love 3

No, she doesn't say anything on Twitter. Now Sal is another story on Twitter. Baby shower info, baby "LJ" updates and of course his Sex Talk retweets.  I hope he doesn't get a dime from Sherri other than the 60K.

  Retweeted by Sal 

Sex Talk™ @SexTaIkSI 

I am very conflicted on the topic of Sherri's involvement with the new baby, but I really want to see her step in and make sure that baby is NOT named after Sal!

I wonder if the Catholic church post was designed to needle Sherri. She is evangelical and a lot of them (not all) have problems with Catholics. Bitsy, who was raised Catholic and went to a Catholic college but went evangelical when she married into the Hasselbeck family) threw shade on Catholics on occasion when she was on the View.

Posting the stuff about the baby seems designed to me to hurt Sherri (we don't know what Sherri's position is concerning thiis baby, but given that only a few months ago, she was looking forward to raising a baby with a man she loved and whom she thought loved her, so this must make her sad), it wouldn't surprise me if the Catholic mention was designed to upset her as well.

Hopefully Sherri is no longer following Sal on Twitter. I was raised Catholic and would never have described mass as "fun."

I am very conflicted on the topic of Sherri's involvement with the new baby, but I really want to see her step in and make sure that baby is NOT named after Sal!

Is that possible?  Isn't the child biologically his?

• Love 1

Is that possible?  Isn't the child biologically his?

He can't (or at least shouldn't) be able to have it both ways. Either she should get a say in what the child is named (although maybe it's in the surrogacy agreement that a boy will be named after/by him) or he shouldn't be asking for child support.

• Love 2
(edited)

Sherri did land a new movie role. http://dlvr.it/6S7d42 considering the success of the first one, she has one hell of an agent.

Sherri played the hooker role to a "t" in One for the Money, she is older than all the others hopefully she is playing a matronly mother of one the characters, a very small role as she is not yet listed in the cast list. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2869728/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast)

Edited by dumbdownus

Didn't see todays show, but checked her twitter and she says her last day at work/studio is Aug 7 but her farewell show will air Aug 11 which is a Monday. So it'll be a prerecorded deal and the cohosts get that Monday off! (When is Jenny's last day?)

she is older than all the others hopefully she is playing a matronly mother of one the characters,

OMG, DumbDownUs...even the offer a part like that will KILL her!  Remember how incensed she was over being called ma'am? She's HOT and LUSTY.  She's YOUNG.  She needs to be the romantic interest.

• Love 1
Me bad (again) but perhaps the role is romantic, a lesbian relationship & the reason Sherri now loves gays :) :0

That's the ticket! (TM John Lovitz).  She's a Method actress...and researching her role.

• Love 1

Yeah, she's found her genre. Which is fine, I'll probably never see her on screen again. (Don't these things become franchises, with the same cast or a rotating cast appearing in all the 2, 3 and 4 sequels?) 

So a bit part on Broadway, maybe for a week or two, and then bit parts in movies. I'm ready for her to go, but remember: Be careful what you wish for.....

The show was on this am and I was in and out....

All of a sudden I look up and the co hosts are fondling Sherri's breasts and then she fondle her own damn breast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF??????

In what world is that funny given the topics that were being discussed?  Beating your wife for instance?

Can't be gone soon enough

• Love 4

Sal had tweeted that baby LJ would arrive on the 28 th. Not unusual for a surrogate to have a scheduled date for induction ( or c- section) so I hope a healthy infant was born somewhere! Wonder how quickly Sal can take the baby home from the hospital...and I'll bet he'll have the services of a Nanny (professional or one of his "friends"that could use the gig) that Sherrie will pay for while they have joint access to financial accounts until the divorce gets sorted out.

Sherri did land a new movie role. http://dlvr.it/6S7d42 considering the success of the first one, she has one hell of an agent.

According to that article (dated yesterday) it states that "Sherri bids farewell to the show tomorrow". Is that true? Am I misreading?

In addition to her seven-year run on talk show The View, Shepherd recently had a recurring role on CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother. Her TV comedy credits include Everybody Loves Raymond, 30 Rock, Hot In Cleveland, and her own Lifetime sitcom Sherri. “I’ve been blessed to interview Barack Obama; Bill Clinton is a big fan of mine – he loved that I played a hooker in One For The Money,” Shepherd told The View watchers earlier this month. She bids farewell to the show tomorrow. Post-The View, Shepherd’s ramping up her presence in features: She’ll next be seen in Chris Rock’s upcoming Toronto Film Fest dramedy Top Five. She’s repped by ICM Partners and Darris Hatch Management.
Wow Sal has such great ideas about religion "done in an hour.  Good deal :)"

Far be it from me to be a Sal defender (for the record, I think he's a snake and a leech), BUT I think what he may be referencing is the contrast between a regular Catholic mass (done in an hour) and a traditional African-American evangelical church service, which can go on forEVER, depending on how the Spirit is feeling that day.

I've been to services where the congregation liked the choir's song so much that the choir just kept on singing... five more songs. Where the minister walked around the very large congregation and spoke to each person, at length, during the service.  Where the pastor invited all the new mothers up to the front with him and had them talk about their babies.  Where the pastoral prayer lasted twice as long as a regular sermon.  I wasn't at this particular service, but a friend told me about a Christmas Eve service that got out of hand and went from midnight to 4AM!

So when Sal mentioned the Catholic service was "just an hour," I kind of feel like I know where he's coming from.  (FTR, I am not African-American and was raised in traditional Protestant churches where deviation from the printed program rarely happened, and there was a lot of throat-clearing, coughing, and pointed looks at watches if the service went a minute or two longer than one hour.  But I have a lot of friends with different church-going habits and I like church-exploring.)

• Love 9

Far be it from me to be a Sal defender (for the record, I think he's a snake and a leech), BUT I think what he may be referencing is the contrast between a regular Catholic mass (done in an hour) and a traditional African-American evangelical church service, which can go on forEVER, depending on how the Spirit is feeling that day.

Very true, ChicagoCita.  It comes from a long tradition of when the church was the heart and soul of the Black community.  When i was growing up, church was a minimum of 3 hours.  But it was an all-day affair.  We went early for Sunday School around 9 am), after that a little break and play time, then the main service would start about 11 am and finish about 2 or 3 pm.  The children played until the food was ready and then we ate and played some more and then we had Sunday night service. LOL.  We loved going to church; it was a lot of fun.  I think they may have cut out all the more fun parts but still retain the longer service.   I'm Lutheran now, quite a jump, but I prefer their stance on homosexuality.  

• Love 2