Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Chapter 33

(edited)

The monks and their sand painting was unexpected and beautiful - right there in the middle of the controlled chaos of the White House and everybody racing by. The Navajos have a similar tradition.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 3

I agree - that was the best part of the episode (which is not meant as an insult to the writing). I loves watching the sand painting grow throughout the episode. I was sad when they swept it up!

It must be a lot easier to give good gifts when you just have to tell your staff to fetch exactly what you want.

• Love 5

The monks and their sand painting was unexpected and beautiful - right there in the middle of the controlled chaos of the White House and everybody racing by. The Navajos have a similar tradition.

The symbolism was huge! Frank saw the work involved while Claire watched the process and the beauty. It was only after it was gone that they discussed it and that they hadn't shared it together. And by then, it had been destroyed, with only a photo as a reminder of what had been built.

• Love 2

Was I the only one kind of terrified that Frank was going to come by and throw water on the whole thing or something? Was so happy when both of them thought it was beautiful. I don't know why I was so invested in that after everything else, hah!

• Love 1

He was in such a bad mood during certain parts of the episode that I was afraid he was going to tell them that it was a waste of time and then wipe his arm across the whole thing and tell them to get out. I was relieved that they got to finish it.

• Love 1
He was in such a bad mood during certain parts of the episode that I was afraid he was going to tell them that it was a waste of time and then wipe his arm across the whole thing and tell them to get out. I was relieved that they got to finish it.

I felt exactly the same.  My back also ached watching those monks bent over the table like that.

• Love 2

I have sat through seven episodes of this show and there has been ABSOLUTELY ZERO CASHEW. She is the best character on this whole show. Why can't any of these interminable Gavin scenes happen in his apartment so that we can experience some of Cashew's majesty?

• Love 5

Yes - I don't really want to see Cashew.  If I see Cashew, I'm going to assume the writers are going to cause me some emotional pain down the line.

This episode was nicely done, I thought.  A closer look at character and relationships was nice, and they took the proper time to observe Frank and Claire's relationship struggle to deal with the Russia debacle.

I wonder whether Doug's physio was actually going to talk about being interested in continuing to see each other, until he mentioned 'someone he knew who tried to reach out and reconnect' - you could actually see her face change.  And Doug - I'm forever alarmed by the weird stuff you come out with.  He sounded like he almost believed that creepy, deluded assessment of the situation with Rachel.  I know this is likely all doomed - but if by some miracle Doug actually manages to not to screw his life up irreparably by the end of the season, I hope he does himself a favour and gives physio-girl and his brother a call.

That was a lazy-ass bun the Israeli ambassador was sporting at that function.

This was a boring episode for me as it was too heavy with the symbolism of the Frank and Claire relationship juxtaposed with the Tibetan monks doing the sand painting. Also, why would Doug's physical therapist want to sleep with him? She looks young enough to be his daughter.

• Love 2

I dunno - I think she had a little crush, which Doug then managed to kill completely when he obliquely mentioned an ex.

She looks young enough to be his daughter.

Standard for TV, though.  Although very rarely older woman/younger man.

• Love 3

No one is mentioning Micky Doyle as the AmWorks book writer.

Thank you!  I didn't even realize that was him, although it does seem kind of obvious now.  Of course, now I'm waiting for him to giggle.

Wasn't too interested in this episode, since it was just Frank being Frank and Claire turning to the dark(hair) side.  I knew (although I had hoped not) that Doug was still on Team Underwood, which is a shame, as I would love to see the series continue with Pres. Dunbar.

I can not see the point of the Tibetan monks and their sand painting. So after weeks of doing it they just sweep it away and throw the sand in the creek, just like that? And they do the sweeping and the ceremony without waiting for their host? Not even a chance for the host to see the finished product? Rather rude, IMO. And speaking of "Tibetan cultural exchange," the United States can not do it with Tibet. They have to do it with China as Tibet is now a part of China. As well, China will never, ever endorse the picture of Dalai Lama with that.

I saw visiting Tibetan monks making an elaborate sand mandala last year, in my city (hosted by a community college). It was so beautiful and amazing. Such delicate time-consuming -- yet ephemeral! -- work. I enjoyed seeing what happens afterwards on the show.

I was sort of shocked how much Robin Wright with dark hair looks like Michelle Forbes.

I kept thinking Lara Flynn Boyle when she didn't look completely malnourished or butchered with bad plastic surgery, so...some years ago.

Claire is a terrible ambassador, she spoke out against the Russian President in a press conference, undermining US Russian relations, then she essentially demands the Israel's support undermining her relationship with that country too. She really needs to learn to be diplomatic instead of mouthing off all the time. Didn't she used to run a multinational charity organisation. Shouldn't she have better people skills ?

• Love 2