Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

On 4/8/2018 at 1:47 PM, kariyaki said:

I was there, I saw it. And it was Hosmer that missed it, he’s their big paycheck player. Bonehead, yes, but whatever, I’ll take the win and was happy to get out of that freezing stadium. Interestingly, roofed stadiums in the southern states are built to withstand summers, not freak April cold fronts. No heater.

I’m not sure what you mean by exact? It’s the same design, but not made of real jewels or precious metal.

kariyaki, I meant are the organizations rings the same in appearance/design as you said. I pretty much figured the fans' rings weren't of valuable stones/metals.  

• Love 1

The Oakland announcers, as per usual, are blathering about things not having anything to do with the game they're supposedly calling.  One of their many blatherings involved the Giants and Dodgers moving to the West Coast in 1958.  They said, other than the Cardinals, the Giants and the Dodgers were the first teams West of the Mississippi.  These are the Athletics announcers.  The Athletics moved to Kansas City in 1954.

• Love 2
On 04/04/2018 at 3:24 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

MLB can kiss my entire ass for airing the Phils -Mets on Facebook ONLY.  Who brokered that unholy partnership?  

Seriously. There's an afternoon Cards/Brewers game and I was going to take a look as I'm working from home today but it's airing on FB. I'm not joining FB so I can watch a game I'm paying MLB TV to air. BS. I hope they scrap this idea after this season. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Hmm, maybe Mr. Stanton should have accepted a trade to St. Louis or San Fransisco, maybe he'd work well under less pressure.

Maybe he should have stayed in the NL and not chosen a team in the AL east. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

But ... but ... money.

He already had the contract. He was getting the money no matter where he went. Or didn't. He could've stayed in Miami.

14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ooh!  Fight!

I love these Yankee/Red Sox games that are played in a speedy fashion.

Oh sure. The Yankees/Red Sox couldn't stand the Rockies/Padres having the first real fight of the season. LOL

• Love 5

I just saw the video of the second fight from another angle and holy hell Aaron Judge got to the scrum fast.  It’s like he teleported in.

I already had stars in my eyes with the platitudes being thrown out about him in his new role as the enforcer with his henchman Giancarlo, but seeing him get in the middle that quickly...

Sorry Bernie!  You’ll always be my favorite, but now I have a confirmed new current favorite.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

I think many of the  RS guys in the middle of that scrum were all "LEMME AT 'EM! Oh, gosh, excuse me, Mr. Judge, sir.  Is that your solar plexus that's crushing my nose?"

• Love 4

Mets have their own Star Wars night, with Han Solo bobbleheads. In other news, I’m watching out for falling anvils. Or maybe Calaway is straight-up The Devil.

ETA: I’ve been to Chicago three times, saw the Cubs twice. Didn’t even think of seeing the Pale Hose. Do they have a decent park?

Edited by Lantern7
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Do they have a decent park?

It's OK. It was the first of the "new nostalgia" ballparks so places like PNC in Pittsburgh and Camden Yards in Baltimore do what they pioneered much better.

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA: I’ve been to Chicago three times, saw the Cubs twice. Didn’t even think of seeing the Pale Hose. Do they have a decent park?

Bland is the word I use.  As has been said, it's okay - there are much better parks, and a few worse.  But, if you're going to see a game in every ballpark, you have to go. 

On 4/12/2018 at 12:09 PM, mojoween said:

I just saw the video of the second fight from another angle and holy hell Aaron Judge got to the scrum fast.  It’s like he teleported in.

I already had stars in my eyes with the platitudes being thrown out about him in his new role as the enforcer with his henchman Giancarlo, but seeing him get in the middle that quickly...

Sorry Bernie!  You’ll always be my favorite, but now I have a confirmed new current favorite.

Hey, it's ok to have our long time love Bernie in our Favorite Yankee HOF and it's not cheating.  My confirmed new current is Didi.  Excuse me...that's Sir Didi.

• Love 3

I know!  I mean, I doubt they are all going to wear 42 on the make up dates.

Yeah, when I posted that game 2 was still on and then it...wasn’t.

Jayson Stark tweeted that there have been postponements 15 out of 18 days so far this season.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

Not including the Yankees, I think there are four other games that are postponed at the moment.

_______

Watching the. Red Sox/Orioles and it seems NESN got the news that Shohei Otani is going to be pitching one of the games when the Red Sox are in town, since his start was canceled today.

Edited by jennifer6973
2 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Not including the Yankees, I think there are four other games that are postponed at the moment.

_______

Watching the. Red Sox/Orioles and it seems NESN got the news that Shohei Otani is going to be pitching one of the games when the Red Sox are in town, since his start was canceled today.

Too bad that Os-Saux game wasn't postponed... 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Meanwhile, I'm kind of annoyed that the Astros plan to have the roof open on Minute Maid Park tonight. I feel it's a little chilly out for that. *wimpy*

Yeah, and here I was thoroughly bummed the Giants had a game rained out last week for the first time in 12 years... ? 

3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Meanwhile, I'm kind of annoyed that the Astros plan to have the roof open on Minute Maid Park tonight. I feel it's a little chilly out for that. *wimpy*

What temp is too chilly to sit outside in Houston?

Edited by mojoween

It was 77 in NYC yesterday! Syracuse got to just below 40, ha.

Fun fact - when the Indians signed Bartolo Colon in 1993, Justin Verlander was a 10 year old Little Leaguer.  And tonight, they face off as starting pitchers.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

What temp is too chilly to sit outside in Houston?

It wasn’t so much the temperature as it was pretty windy and I was anticipating that once it got dark, it would be kind of cold. But the wind died in the afternoon so it’ll be ok now. 

Turned on ESPN. Just heard something at the end of an inning. I'm not saying what for fear of jinxing it. I'm just saying . . . you might want to tune in.

ETA: Never mind. Astros just got runners off Bartolo Colon. Seriously, I flip on ESPN, there's Bart, he gets out of the inning, "BARTOLO COLON, PERFECT THROUGH SIX!" Holy fucksticks.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Heh.  I think I may have been the jinx.  The minute I tune in, a baserunner then a hit.

Ha we must have turned it on at the same time . We both may be the kind.

In other news the Phillies have just won their 6th straight game and 8th game out of 9 after a very shakey start. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

There were six games postponed yesterday including the double-header.  I wonder if that's some sort of single day record.

I think a bunch of early games were snow out in 1982. Thanks to increasing climate change, I don’t think there are “safe” places to start the season. It’s a huge crap shoot. Make teams play the first week in Florida venues, and a hurricane would screw things up, even though they don’t take place in April,

Bartolo Colon was perfect for seven innings on a nationally-televised game. DAMN 

• Love 1

How would we treat Bartolo Colon if he were a fit athlete instead of being overweight? He's a forty something pitcher with a history of PED use who is doing things that that few forty plus pitchers have accomplished. (knuckleballers and Roger Clemens)

• Love 2

More postponements, kinda crazy. There was an ice storm in Toronto, followed by rain and 100km hour winds the last 30 hours. Somehow ice falling from the CN Tower punched a hole through the dome ceiling. 

Crazy! Well, they were looking to renovate the dome anyway...

• Love 1

Which postponed their game tonight so they can fix it.

With the Cubs/Cardinals game postponed, that makes 24 so far this year, the most ever since 1986 when record keeping for that began.****

**** That note is from MLB Network.

Plus the One of the Royals buses had ice fall of it's roof and hit the other Royals bus,  which caused the windshield to shatter and shards got in the bus drivers eye and one of the Royals relief pitchers had to grab the wheel.

• Love 1