Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

The Yankees never lose on Yankee Classics. 

(Seriously. They don't air Yankee losses.)

I certainly wouldn't want to watch NY losses no matter what kind of history may have been made by the other team. 

• Love 2

I wasted a whole morning on Sunday just to watch the 2nd game of the Pittsburgh series even though I had already seen the highlights on yes.com. What's wrong with me? Not even a Classic, just a rewind of he game. 

Well I would rather watch this Saturday's game than Sunday's actual game so I feel you there. And I can neither confirm nor deny that I have watched a replay for a win from the day before, that I had watched live when it occurred.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, prican58 said:

I wasted a whole morning on Sunday just to watch the 2nd game of the Pittsburgh series even though I had already seen the highlights on yes.com. What's wrong with me? Not even a Classic, just a rewind of he game. 

I DVR'ed the repeat and I'm watching it now.

• Love 1

^Whichever network uses him for postgame work made a very good decision.  I don't even care what he is saying, I just like to watch him say it.

And I fully embrace the dichotomy of the female sports fan.  Yes, I am all about stats and play on the field, but sometimes I can be lascivious, dammit.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, attica said:

If it's a game from twenty years ago still being shown on teevee, isn't 'who won' kinda self-evident?

Not baseball, but on the topic...some years ago, I'm at my Mother-in-law's place in NE Pennsylvania, where she got the Philadelphia sports channels.  One afternoon, I see they are showing an old Flyers game, playing the NY Islanders.  I'm an Islander fan, so I start watching, as it looked familiar. I suddenly realize they are showing Game 6 of the 1980 Stanley Cup finals - where the Islanders scored in overtime to clinch the series and win their first Stanley Cup.  I was happy to watch it, but I could never figure out why the Flyers' channel would show that game.

Ahhh, the Islanders. Bossy, Smith, Chico, Nystrom, Trottier, Goring, Potvin (doesn't suck),Gillies. How exhilerating that was. Moose, glad you enjoyed the trip via that Way Back Machine called television.    

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Meanwhile, my fave (because he's so pretty!) smashed his valuable face into a wall.

I saw that while watching the Rays game yesterday, and that's when I found out that Todd Kalas is now the play by play guy for your Astros.  Boy do I miss him on the Rays broadcasting crew.

Ahhh, the Islanders. Bossy, Smith, Chico, Nystrom, Trottier, Goring, Potvin (doesn't suck),Gillies.

I have season tickets to the local ECHL hockey team and a few weeks ago they were selling previously worn player jerseys including some from charity games (featuring non-Solar Bears players) and I was able to snag an autographed #19 Bryan Trottier jersey for my fiance'.  Aside from his autograph he also wrote all of the years in which he won the Stanley Cup and the team rep at the jersey table said, dripping with sarcasm, "he was humble."

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I saw that while watching the Rays game yesterday, and that's when I found out that Todd Kalas is now the play by play guy for your Astros.  Boy do I miss him on the Rays broadcasting crew.

Ah yeah, that's when I realized where Todd had come from. They hired him when Bill Brown retired last year.

42 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Awww..thats where his Dad got his start.

The Phillies had a nice week. 2 out of 3 from the Mets and swept the Braves including their first back to back to back HR since 2008. On the downside Howie Kendrick and Aaron Nola both went on the DL. 

Back in the 80s, I remember sitting in a waiting room with a woman wearing her hair like that. Because it was the 80s, and nothing was as coveted as Really Big Hair and the Products that Made it Possible, I overrode my 'don't talk to strangers in waiting rooms' edict to ask her what she used for all that height. 

"Krazy Glue," She answered, smiling. An unbelievable answer (...how on earth do you shampoo through glue?), and yet, I believed her.  Ah, the 80s. 

And it's nice to see a player with such a sense of follicular history. :)

• Love 4

The At Bat app just asked me if I wanted to change the icon to the team that I have listed as my favorite. Um.  Duh. I think we all know that answer to that question.

In other news, it's raining and therefore no baseball tonight in Bahston.  I'm not liking this "no baseball" to watch two nights in a row.

Bush and Jeter both have a lot of money, but not "let's buy a billion dollar asset" money.

There's probably some hedge fund manager putting up the real cash.

I want a 30 for 30 on Loria. Because he basically grifted his way to a billion dollars starting with his ownership of the Expos.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

The At Bat app just asked me if I wanted to change the icon to the team that I have listed as my favorite. Um.  Duh. I think we all know that answer to that question.

In other news, it's raining and therefore no baseball tonight in Bahston.  I'm not liking this "no baseball" to watch two nights in a row.

mojo, even the Mets are rained out today so you couldn't even watch that if you were desperate. They are actually showing a game from last year where Noah hit a HR. I can tell it's last year because Thor's hair is shorter.

Actually YES has my baseball boyfriend Andy Pettitte talking about the '96 WS. I think its a Yankee Classic. I think I will watch this. I loved when we came back from 0-2.  I love him so much. Everyone loves Jetes but AP is my guy. 

Oh, it's Yankeeography Best Moments or whatever its called. 

Edited by prican58
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

I think the Os - Rays are regional coverage on MLBN.  I'm sure you'll enjoy that!  (It's either us or the Cubs/Pirates - but hey, at least it's baseball!)

11 hours ago, attica said:

Back in the 80s, I remember sitting in a waiting room with a woman wearing her hair like that. Because it was the 80s, and nothing was as coveted as Really Big Hair and the Products that Made it Possible, I overrode my 'don't talk to strangers in waiting rooms' edict to ask her what she used for all that height. 

"Krazy Glue," She answered, smiling. An unbelievable answer (...how on earth do you shampoo through glue?), and yet, I believed her.  Ah, the 80s. 

And it's nice to see a player with such a sense of follicular history. :)

I was a punk from way back when in the seventies and while your waiting room stunner might have been funning you - I did know people who DID use Krazy Glue to achieve their effects -  also nail polish, caulk, toothpaste, Play Doh, wallpaper paste, the list goes on.  By the by I can tell you that mixing RIT and colorless henna does NOT allow you to dye your hair any color you want.  God bless Snooky and Tish.

• Love 1

Brewers can never have nice things (and its so Braun's fault). Eric Thames is on fire, he's one of four ball players to hit 8 homeruns against the same team in a calendar month.

But because Braun ruins everything, I'm worried Thames is doping. I just want to cheer for my hometeam and not have to worry about my boys trying to cheat the system! 

I laughed for 1000 years at the Coghlan jump.  That goes down in history forever.  I am so glad I was watching live to witness that.  It was worth losing sleep over.

Thames is already being tested.  He's not testing positive.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I'm not going to Citi Field tomorrow. I need to make money, I got a comic show this weekend, and yesterday's rainout pushes the Braves' rotation back a day. That means R.A. Dickey will be on the mound, and not Bartolo.

1 hour ago, SnoGirl said:

Brewers can never have nice things (and its so Braun's fault). Eric Thames is on fire, he's one of four ball players to hit 8 homeruns against the same team in a calendar month.

But because Braun ruins everything, I'm worried Thames is doping. I just want to cheer for my hometeam and not have to worry about my boys trying to cheat the system! 

I saw Eric Thames while playing for the AA level New Hampshire Fishercats in 2010 and he was outstanding so I'm happy he's getting another chance in the bigs.  He's come up clean in his previous tests but I get what you're saying as I hate always wondering if good players are doping as well.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I laughed for 1000 years at the Coghlan jump.  That goes down in history forever.  I am so glad I was watching live to witness that.  It was worth losing sleep over.

Thames is already being tested.  He's not testing positive.

I saw that too. I just hope its really true. Braun ruined the Brewers for me for awhile and I want Eric Thames just to be awesome!

Just now, mojoween said:

ESPN has made some brutal layoffs today including Jayson Stark which was a heartbreaker.  I can't believe he had been there for 17 years.  I will miss him and his Tuesday trivia.

That one is SHOCKING truly. I guess the MLB Network will scoop him up which sucks because not everyone gets the MLB network

• Love 1

I will lose a lot of faith in MLB Network if they don't pick up Jayson.

ETA:  C'mon MLB, Secaucus has to be only an hour and a half commute for the guy.....

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

ESPN has made some brutal layoffs today including Jayson Stark which was a heartbreaker.  I can't believe he had been there for 17 years.  I will miss him and his Tuesday trivia.

It's a shame that they let one of the better baseball guys they had go. He's a damn good writer and Espns baseball coverage is worse off without  him. I would be shocked if MLB Network doesn't pick him up (or maybe Fox Sports but probably MLB)

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2

Damn, I love Jayson Stark and MLBN would be foolish not to snap him up.  I saw in the NHL thread that ESPN pretty much gutted their entire hockey staff including the great John Buccigross so it's a sucky day in Bristol, CT.

• Love 2

Tonight Gift Ngoepe became the first player from Africa to play in the major leagues. In order to make room for him, the Pirates sent down Dovydas Neverauskas. Who, two days ago, was the first Lithuanian to play in the major leagues.

ETA Dallas Braden is out. I don't really have an opinion of him as an announcer, but I won't miss that awful looking beard and ponytail he sported.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

Sometimes baseball couldn't be scripted any better. The Giants are down by three, barely have a hit in the 7th inning against the Dodgers. Beloved former Giant/current Dodger Sergio Romo is in the game against 21yo Giants rookie Christian Arroyo. Boom! First MLB homer in only his third game in the majors and now it's a one-run game! Cut to the 8th. Pitcher's spot is up and who's back with the team? 2014 postseason hero Michael Morse. He hasn't gotten a hit in the majors since 2015 but he's here for one reason and basically one reason only. To hit dingers. And in an 0-2 count, he sends a baseball exactly where he was supposed to and exactly where everyone in that ballpark (in orange and black) wanted him to and couldn't help but expect him to. Game tied! And then in the 10th, with the bases loaded and no outs, Hunter Pence battles away at pitches at his chest. The pitch tracker looks like he's whacking away at a pinata, foul after foul of high pitches until he finally gets enough of a hold of one to send the Giants home happy! Baseball is pretty cool.

• Love 2