Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, Moose135 said:

A few weeks ago, MLB announced a number of changes for this season, as well as a few for next year.  Here are some things they are thinking about as well.  After a year of arm-twisting negotiations by Commissioner Rob Manfred, the independent Atlantic League (home to my Long Island Ducks) agreed to test a number of rule changes to see if MLB might introduce them in the future:

• Home plate umpire assisted in calling balls and strikes by a TrackMan radar tracking system.

• No mound visits permitted by players or coaches other than for pitching changes or medical issues.

• Pitchers must face a minimum of three batters, or reach the end of an inning before they exit the game, unless the pitcher becomes injured. (already announced for 2020)

• Increase the size of 1st, 2nd and 3rd base from 15 inches square to 18 inches square.

• Require two infielders to be on each side of second base when a pitch is released - there will be a chalk line drawn from behind second base to the outfield grass to help police this.

• Time between innings and pitching changes reduced from 2:05 to 1:45.

• Distance from pitching rubber to home plate extended 24 inches, in the second half of the season only; with no change to mound height or shape.

That's right, for the second half of the 2019 season, Atlantic League pitchers will stand on the rubber 62' 6" away from the plate, the first time this has been changed since the 60' 6" distance was established in 1893.  I used to refer to Bud Selig as "Clueless Bud" but this guy is more like "Evil Rob".  I don't know what he's doing to the game.

All of this is trash.  Fuck off, Manfred.

And why do the size of the BASES need to change, for cod’s sack?  Was someone clamoring for this enormous three inch increase?  Good god.

And changing the time between innings will mean more ad breaks between at bats, which I am already loathing with the fire of one thousand suns. 

Ok the radar tracking is intriguing, and I highly doubt Manfred came up with it because it’s a good idea.

The mound visits and pitching change rules can go to hell.

• Love 7

Bumping up because I have to make my annual half-hearted pitch to see if anyone wants to meet up to see the Mets. The last time I went to Citi Field was 2016. That did not go well for me.

Detachment from sports means that I'm not as psyched hearing that deGrom struck out 14 AND hit a home run. He'll probably get the loudest ovation today barring a walk-off homer. That game HAS to be an instant Mets Classic, even if the Mets let the Marlins have hope late in the game.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Bumping up because I have to make my annual half-hearted pitch to see if anyone wants to meet up to see the Mets. The last time I went to Citi Field was 2016. That did not go well for me.

Detachment from sports means that I'm not as psyched hearing that deGrom struck out 14 AND hit a home run. He'll probably get the loudest ovation today barring a walk-off homer. That game HAS to be an instant Mets Classic, even if the Mets let the Marlins have hope late in the game.

If it works out for the summer trip I'll be in touch!

If I get up to NY this summer and the Mets are in town, I'll give you a shout.

I don't understand something about MLB scheduling this year.  For a number of years now, they schedule an off day after a team's home opener, in case they need to postpone it due to unpredictable weather this time of year, and I get that.  What puzzles me is how they set it up this season.  The Mets home opener is today, on a Thursday afternoon, which means the open back-up day is a Friday.  The same happened last week, when the Mets visted DC for the Nationals' home opener.  How do they set the schedule to skip Friday games?  They have Friday games scheduled every other week the rest of the season.  This also led to the strange Thursday-Saturday-Sunday weekend series.  I randomly looked at about eight or ten dozen other teams, and it seems like more than half had a similar situation.  I don't remember this scheduling quirk in the past - is it another one of Manfred's "improvements" to the game?

47 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I don't remember this scheduling quirk in the past

I've seen it before. I remember a few years back, the Astros opened at the Yankees on a Thursday with Friday off. The irony being that Saturday got rained out and they had to do a double header Sunday to make up for it.

• Love 3

God Damn MLB Network!

All morning, they were promoting the Mets' home opener against the Nationals as their 1pm ET game.  Since I don't have any other cable alternatives to get the Mets, I was looking forward to it, making sure I got done with stuff so I could be in front of the TV in time.  Instead, we got the "other regional coverage" game of the Royals and Tigers. Seriously? Detroit and Kansas City don't care about the Royals and Tigers, but I get stuck with it here in Charlotte.  God Damn MLB Network!

• Love 1

@Moose135 did you check all your local stations?  If the game is advertised on MLB but then not on, that sometimes means another station has it.  It sounds like you don’t have SNY but a local channel might be showing it.

Checking in. Apparently, there was a double no-no situation, but the Mets foiled Strasberg in the fifth. And then Victor Robles went yard on Thor. I thought that was a two-run homer, but the Nationals scored earlier: walk, walk, wild pitch, sacrifice hit. Losing while giving up no hits has been done a few times, never by the Mets . . . but it just feels like something that would have happened to them, doesn't it?

27 minutes ago, mojoween said:

@Moose135 did you check all your local stations?  If the game is advertised on MLB but then not on, that sometimes means another station has it.  It sounds like you don’t have SNY but a local channel might be showing it.

14 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

@Moose135, it's a blackout restriction thing. If you're in the team's area, MLB isn't allowed to show the broadcast as you're supposed to watch the local version.

I'm sure it's a blackout thing, I just don't know how they choose the areas they blackout.  I get Fox Sports Carolinas here, and we'll get Braves and Reds (???) games there.  Right now they are showing a repeat of PBA Bowling that originally aired Monday.  We don't have any local channel that would give me Mets (or Nats) coverage.

19 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I'm sure it's a blackout thing, I just don't know how they choose the areas they blackout.  I get Fox Sports Carolinas here, and we'll get Braves and Reds (???) games there.  Right now they are showing a repeat of PBA Bowling that originally aired Monday.  We don't have any local channel that would give me Mets (or Nats) coverage.

It's based on perceived territory. For instance: Texas, Lousiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas and part of New Mexico is considered Astros/Rangers territory, so blackout restrictions for those teams are enacted there. But Oklahoma and Arkansas also overlap with Kansas City and St. Louis, so they're subject to those teams' blackout restrictions as well. Here's a map.

MLB_Blackout_Areas.png

(edited)
3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

It's based on perceived territory. For instance: Texas, Lousiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas and part of New Mexico is considered Astros/Rangers territory, so blackout restrictions for those teams are enacted there. But Oklahoma and Arkansas also overlap with Kansas City and St. Louis, so they're subject to those teams' blackout restrictions as well. Here's a map.

MLB_Blackout_Areas.png

I grew up in an area that got both NY and Philly. coverage. Going to school it was probably fairly evenly split between Philly sports fans and NY sports fans. They have NBCSPORTS-PHILADELPHIA , SNY snd YES

Edited by shoregirl
3 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

I grew up in an area that got both NY and Philly. coverage. Going to school it was probably fairly evenly split between Philly sports fans and NY sports fans. 

Probably the only even thing between Philly and NYC fans 😝

3 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Don't know about y'all but I've got an Extra Innings free preview going on right now.

Yeah, I’ve had it for the past several days. 

53 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

So, that was a fun game.  Until it wasn't... 

Well...

One other thing that fascinated me was the ad for the free Orioles lunch bag giveaway on April 7.  I have absolutely no need for such a thing, yet I desperately want it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Go figure, tomorrow’s home opener has a good chance of being rain delayed. Usually we don’t worry about such a thing during April in CA. Atmospheric river has been the meteorologists’ favorite buzzword around these parts 🙄 good thing I bought my tix instead for Sunday’s game. Forecast: the usual CA sunny kind of day 🌞 

14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Well...

One other thing that fascinated me was the ad for the free Orioles lunch bag giveaway on April 7.  I have absolutely no need for such a thing, yet I desperately want it.

I'd send you mine except 1) it's only for kids and b) I've already exchanged my Sunday tickets for Brooks Robinson bobblehead night.  If there's a way to get one at some point, I'll let you know. 

• Love 1

Well, it was a fun evening of watching the Astros game from Louisiana while in a group text with my mom and brother who were also watching the game. My mom from her house in south Texas and my brother from his seats AT the game. 

The funniest part was his frantic text ,”I was getting a beer, how did Brantley score?”

• Love 3

The commissioner should forget about everything else and concentrate on the distribution of revenue and an equitable share of said revenue between ownership and the players.

That's it. Full Stop. Nothing else.

Focus on the thing that will head off a strike, that is all I care about, anything else is window dressing.

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, bosawks said:

The commissioner should forget about everything else and concentrate on the distribution of revenue and an equitable share of said revenue between ownership and the players.

That's between the players' union and the owners in the collective bargaining agreement. The commissioner doesn't negotiate that.

Edited by xaxat
Just now, xaxat said:

That's between the players' union and the owners in the collective bargaining agreement. The commissioner doesn't negotiate that.

While he is an employee of the owners the office has been seen as an ambassador to the game, if he wants to fiddle while Rome burns then, I guess, that will have to be his legacy as the figurehead of the MLB. 

As a fan I find it insulting to concentrate on ancillary issues as a distraction as we hurtle towards a strike that the owners seem to care less about.  It's not the mid 90's anymore cancel a whole season at your own peril.

The train is going to derail and there is no reason for it and I'm already pissed about a CBA that ends in 2021. Every survey I get regarding baseball I'm complaining about wasting this time as if a strike is preordained.

I don't know if I'll be back if this is 94 revisited and that makes me equal parts angry and sad.

• Love 2

We're heading to Atlanta in the morning to watch the Mets play the Braves on Saturday night.  It's my first time to the ballpark, although I've been to ATL before.  Has anyone been to a game there who could offer any tips?  We're staying at a place that's walking distance to the park, and we have seats 8 rows from the field on the 1st base side, far enough up the line that we won't be behind the netting.  We won't have much, if any, time for other stuff in the area, maybe a little plane spotting at one of the airports before we get into town Saturday.  Thanks!

The Giants had so many strikeouts last night's 18 inning game (24!) that they had to use fans to improvise for the extra Ks 🤪

And the fireworks still went on.... around 1am!

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, shoregirl said:

Chris Davis  breaks his hitless streak and has two hits and three RBIs today.  I am happy he finally got a hit it must be such a weight off his shoulder. 

A couple of days ago, I heard a radio update announcing that Chris Davis had a two hit game. I thought "good for him".

Then I realized it was Khris Davis they were talking about.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Is Chris Davis the one who they call Crush Davis or is that Khris Davis?

Yes

Actually, back in the day when he could hit, his nickname was Crush.  Now Khris Davis has co-opted the nickname as Krush...or Khrush (not sure which, although I should be)

On 4/12/2019 at 11:34 AM, Moose135 said:

We're heading to Atlanta in the morning to watch the Mets play the Braves on Saturday night.  It's my first time to the ballpark, although I've been to ATL before.  Has anyone been to a game there who could offer any tips?  We're staying at a place that's walking distance to the park, and we have seats 8 rows from the field on the 1st base side, far enough up the line that we won't be behind the netting.  We won't have much, if any, time for other stuff in the area, maybe a little plane spotting at one of the airports before we get into town Saturday.  Thanks!

How was it? I only went to Atlanta the one time, and I only passed Turner Field on the way to the zoo. What is the new ballpark like? How far is it from the city? And is there still no shame in doing the Tomahawk Chop down there?

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

How was it? I only went to Atlanta the one time, and I only passed Turner Field on the way to the zoo. What is the new ballpark like? How far is it from the city? And is there still no shame in doing the Tomahawk Chop down there?

I live about a mile from the park. To answer your questions it’s about a 10 minute drive tops to downtown Atlanta. Great location with lots of restaurants and shopping. SunTrust Park also includes The Battery which is right outside the Park. There you’ll find lots of great restaurants and a few novelty shops. 

They still do the Tomahawk Chop at the games. When at an evening game fans will do it with their cell phone flashlights on, which is pretty cool to see from 20k+ fans. Still I always feel a certain type of way doing the Chop considering the past controversy associated with it.

Anyway I hope @Moose135 had a great time at the game last night. The weather was perfect for a game. 

• Love 2

We had a good time in Atlanta this weekend.  It was raining like mad when we left Charlotte Saturday morning, but it stopped while we were on the road.  Stopped at Peachtree Dekalb Airport for a little spotting before heading to the hotel.  We stayed at the Hyatt, about 3/4 of a mile from the ballpark.  As @Enero noted, the park is a short drive from downtown, on the I-285 loop north of downtown.  The GPS took us down I-85 to 285 then a short hop onto and off of I-75 - the park and hotel are just a little west of the I-75 interchange.  The overhead signs said 6 lanes (!!!) on I-75 were closed for construction, and vehicles were completely stopped 2 miles from the exit, so we stayed on 285 and backtracked a bit.

The ballpark is beautiful, really well done, and there is a large dining and entertainment area right outside the gates, with plenty to eat and drink before and after games.  We caught the end of the Mets' batting practice, and had time to grab a beer and a couple of hot dogs before the game.  The concourses are plenty big enough to get through without too much of a hassle.  Food was pretty good, if expectedly expensive.  We were on the first base side, about 8 rows from the field, and about half way out into the outfield.  The weather was absolutely perfect for a ball game, the Mets not so much.  Of course, instead of deGrom or Syndergaard, we had Jerry Vargas starting for us.  He didn't make it out of the first, giving up 4 runs and getting only one out.  The Mets came back and tied it up in the top of the second, then Met reliever Corey Oswalt gave those 4 back in the bottom of the second, and we were off to the races!

There were actually a good number of Met fans in the stands - we even had several "Let's Go Mets!" chants during the game.  And yes, there was the tomahawk chop, and The Wave made its way from the 1990s to make five or six laps around the park.

All in all we had a great time.  Win or lose (and I've seen the Mets lose lots of times in the past 50 years) not much beats a day (or evening) at the ballpark.

They don't allow longer lenses in the ballpark, so I had to make due with a normal lens and some significant cropping...

JM_2019_04_13_MetsvsBraves_001-L.jpg

JM_2019_04_13_MetsvsBraves_003-L.jpg

Atlanta's take on the mascot race - Home Depot tools running on the outfield warning track.  The big power drill got hip checked into the wall in the left field corner!

JM_2019_04_13_MetsvsBraves_007-L.jpg

JM_2019_04_13_MetsvsBraves_006-L.jpg

Braves' mascot Blooper passing us in the aisle.

JM_2019_04_13_MetsvsBraves_008-L.jpg

• Love 11

Poked around online, found something to warrant logging into my account at work: Yu Darvish hits three people . . . with the same pitch.

I'll have to read about Blooper's origins. Initial take: he's probably at least 90 percent focus groups. Also, he might be related to the weird-ass mascot of the 1996 Atlanta Games.

ETA: At least Blooper ain't Chief Nok-a-Homa. I may have misspelled the name, but I am not making that up.

Edited by Lantern7