Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

All of the 100-win teams lost, so while I still feel bad, I don't feel that bad (or at least not that embarrassed anymore...).

Also, post-season merch is already discounted for me, so yeah, I bought some. I mean, I'm getting all that ticket money refunded, so why not!

They are a fun team. I was happy to see them take the AL East.  The Baltimore fans deserve it. They have so many young stars.

Of all the 100 win teams the Orioles are the least embarrassing(really I don't think it's embarrassing at all they'll be back and now will have playoff experience)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's interesting that of the remaining teams, the best record is 90-72, and none of the remaining teams lead their division, although Astros/Rangers had same record. I guess Houston won the division with a tie-breaker.  The Braves are gone (no chanting or chopping in future games), and Rangers please dispatch the Astros.  I have a personal fondness for the Phillies, but I can appreciate the D'Backs who haven't been in the post season since 2007.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, sagittarius sue said:

It's interesting that of the remaining teams, the best record is 90-72, and none of the remaining teams lead their division, although Astros/Rangers had same record. I guess Houston won the division with a tie-breaker.  The Braves are gone (no chanting or chopping in future games), and Rangers please dispatch the Astros.  I have a personal fondness for the Phillies, but I can appreciate the D'Backs who haven't been in the post season since 2007.

Three out of the 4 finished 90-72. Houston won the division by virtue of head to head. 

The World Series home field. Is now decided by record. If Arizona wins the NL either of the AL teams would host. If the Phillies win the NL they would start the World Series at home if Houston (2-1) wins and on the road if Texas. (0-3) wins

• Like 1
On 10/12/2023 at 11:22 PM, shoregirl said:

It's crazy that Castellanos is the first player to hit back to back home runs in back to back games.

I mean, it’s Nick Castellanos.  Anything that happens with him involved from here to the end of time just can’t be crazy.

Eight years ago on this date Jose Bautista caused everyone to lose their ever-loving minds and I was THERE for it.  

• Like 5

The League Championship Series are about to begin.  Even though I like Arizona to win, I see Philadelphia winning the NLCS before they beat Houston in the Fall Classic.  Not sure if I'll prefer a Texas win over Philly if the former wins the ALCS

I'm all about whoever emerges from the NLCS to knock off a team from Texas in the WS. However, as I've said before, I have lots of family in the PHX metro, so I'm supporting the DBacks, but I won't cry if Philly wins. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 2

I actually watched for the first time in a while. I liked the pacing, and both teams were aggressive getting the ball in play. The Rangers OF besides the big catch made a few other good running down the ball catches too. There was a good throw into the cut off that looked like it saved a run too. 

Terrible baserunning error, but he knew he blew it. 

I'm not really rooting for Houston, but I can't say Verlander pitched bad. 

I haven’t been shy about my distaste for the pitch clock, but maybe I should have checked with my past self first.  I posted this on FB ten years ago on this date (no idea who I was watching, I bet it was St. Louis) -

Tomorrow is my first day back to work since last Thursday so I should really go to bed but dammit I literally cannot turn off this game.

It would be nice if they'd help out by not taking a frickin' minute between pitches.

• LOL 5
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Anybody but the Philth. 

I dislike the Phillies immensely, but it still comes down to "any team but the Astros" for me. It's why I'm rooting so hard for the Rangers. If it comes down to Phillies/Astros, I won't even watch the WS. 😢

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Huh so the Gurriel who plays for Arizona is the younger brother of the bad Gurriel who played for Houston.  Hopefully Gurriel the younger isn’t a right shit like his brother.

His purple hair is a choice. It's actually kind of fun. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

His purple hair is a choice. It's actually kind of fun. 

When his helmet flew off when he was running the bases it was a fun shock!  It matched the piping on his jersey.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

He was a fan favourite as a Jay. To my knowledge he has not said/done anything as gross as his brother has.

He is very particular about his hair and spends a lot of time on it lol, even when it's not purple. So he said in an interview. Well I'm paraphrasing.

There was a behind the scenes video thing he did with the Jays where he talks about it, it's on YouTube 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Ahem (you know who you are) (this is a 12 year old thought BTW)

This is why I like the DH...if you need a bat but your #9 hitter is up, you have to change pitchers in the next half of the inning because you don't want to rely on your pitcher to get the run you need.  It's stupid to have to take a pitcher out of the game even though he's throwing well just because he's a .197 hitter or whatever.

I never understood plunking a batter. Let's put a potential run on base because fee-fees. Forget about whether it's the playoffs or game 117. 

I also don't understand why the guy that gets hit gets tossed for being ticked off. No punches were thrown. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I never understood plunking a batter. Let's put a potential run on base because fee-fees. Forget about whether it's the playoffs or game 117. 

Nah, petty beanball games are for the regular season. No way is a team going to push a run into scoring position in a two run ALCS game that they can still win (and did). I really doubt that was on purpose. 

Edited by DMK
  • Like 4
6 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

I look away when he's on screen so I don't have to see his smirking face.

I drink when he is on screen, so I can't see his smirking face whether I wanted to or not

• LOL 3

I am just noticing how ugly the field is in Phoenix.  I know it's mostly indoors, and if it was outdoors it would be desert, but still it doesn't look remotely like grass.  Yuck.

42 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I am just noticing how ugly the field is in Phoenix.  I know it's mostly indoors, and if it was outdoors it would be desert, but still it doesn't look remotely like grass.  Yuck.

I had carpet like that at the base of the stairs in the last apartment we lived in.

• LOL 4