Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Looks like the Mets will not be able to clinch the division before they get to Atlanta. I figured if that were to happen, deGrom and Scherzer would be shipped off to New York and put into stasis before Game 1 of the NLDS.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I’m just now finding about this and I am distraught.

Eight years ago on this date @ebk57 said “well that fucking figures” (maybe, I don’t know if ebk is a cusser).  “Where dreams, turn into reality!” and I sobbed like a baby.

I'm sure there a few more "fucks" thrown around.

(I actually had to google that game since I had no memory whatsoever of that night...  honestly, why would I? 😄 )

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, smittykins said:

Claimed off waivers by the Pirates today.

I hope he's a star wherever his career takes him from here. I loved that kid. It's only about the $$$. Hicks should have been cut loose, not Miggy. 😔

I really want Cashman gone, but he'll probably still be the Yankees' GM when he's 65. 😠

• Applause 1
9 hours ago, Carey said:

Looks like they called Yankess/BoSox.

New York gets the sweep; a rain delay as Judge was on deck after 6 full innings

Obvious question . . . would Judge get benched while in Toronto? I'm assuming the Yankees are home this weekend since the Mets will be in Atlanta. They got the division and bye on lock, so why not give him shots at 61 and 62 at home?

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Obvious question . . . would Judge get benched while in Toronto? I'm assuming the Yankees are home this weekend since the Mets will be in Atlanta. They got the division and bye on lock, so why not give him shots at 61 and 62 at home?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did.  I'm thinking that Judge will show up in a limited role, and then maybe sit out in full on Wednesday.  No point playing him this series.  Then go all in starting on Friday, and they are at home for the final time this coming weekend

22 minutes ago, Carey said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did.  I'm thinking that Judge will show up in a limited role, and then maybe sit out in full on Wednesday.  No point playing him this series.  Then go all in starting on Friday, and they are at home for the final time this coming weekend

I figure the Commissioner's Office might object to that, even though Judge isn't gunning for the all-time record. Yes, Roger's mark hasn't been touched by anyone in the AL, but it pales to Barry/Sammy/Mac.

I found out Bonds' 73 was the only time he went above 60 in a season. That was a surprise for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I figure the Commissioner's Office might object to that, even though Judge isn't gunning for the all-time record.

Toronto is also in the WC race - leading right now, but the teams chasing them might object that the Yankees aren't fielding their best team, which could have an impact on that race.

I can't see them benching Judge but I do hope the Jays walk him every at bat

So 61 is a tie of this record and 62 to break? Are Yankees fans excited about 61 or 62? Sorry I'm not really following it. 

Just wondering when the celebration will break out. Like if he hits 61 tonight is everyone going to lose their minds?

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Whaaaaaaaat?  You mean you don’t recall everything going on with the Yankees on a daily basis?.

I think most of us actively try NOT to remember everything going on with the Yankees especially this season,..

• LOL 5

So here is my prediction: 61 tomorrow with Berrios and 62-65 the next game which is the Jays bullpen game.

Tomorrow lines up bc apparently one of the Maple Leafs is throwing first pitch so I'm sure that 'winning' culture will rub right off and the Jays will lose the series post haste. 

3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Did you post this on the wrong thread? This is the MLB thread.

Yes! So sorry, I clicked on the wrong one.

In baseball news, I can’t imagine all the stress Judge is going through to get to the record.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

No way. What if they bench him, and in the end he doesn't make it? That would be awful. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

You know, I don't hate or even dislike the Yankees.  I don't think Aaron will get at least 3 more HRs before the end of the season.

However, I have to admit, I might cry if he finishes at 60, with at least 3 balls that are hit far enough to go over the fence but was caught to deny him.

There's no crying in Baseball, but I'd end up crying beyond my control following my inability to get off the floor LMAO!

Mets and Crackers go into the home stretch. One thing in the Mets’ favor: they only have to beat Cobb County once to win the series between them. If they end in a tie for first, Mets would get the division and the bye.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I was listening to a podcast today and the guy said it's possible these next 2 homers could be the hardest homers to get in his career.

But take heart bc tomorrow is a bullpen/wave the white flag game for the Jays. So it coukd work out for Judge.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Judge has been walked three times so far.  Sigh.

They're all full counts and not intentional walks by any means. Personally I think the umpires refuse to call anything close against him. Considering they go through the trouble of giving him fresh autographed ceremonial baseballs for every at bat it's not too much of a stretch.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I looked it up and the 1999 Mets and 2006 Mets won 97 games which is what this years Mets team has won so far.  Yet they might not win the division.   I still wanna say the Mets are the best team in the East.  But the Braves are a good team.  The Sunday game where Atlanta came back to beat the Phillies I think is gonna prove huge.  

Cardinals clinched the division tonight. They limped across the line... the last couple of weeks have been rough. Goldschmidt's and Arenado's bats have gone quiet, Wainwright has been battered, Monty has cooled off from his hot start since the trade.

But tonight, we celebrate!

• Love 1

A playoff series at home is nice, but that first round bye is terrifying.

Judge isn’t hitting HR’s right now, but (for the most part) the Yankees are winning when they need to so I wish the media would get off his jock and just let him enjoy his team.

• Love 2

You mean the downtime? I was just looking at the dates again. It's even more than I thought. Last day of season is Oct 3. Division series OCT 11? That's 8 days. I guess the tradeoff is home field advantage.

That just seems insane. I really wish they would cut the regular season a bit, like even just to 152. It would give them some days for rain outs, and they could plan a better post season schedule. I know it was affected by the lockout and late start this yr but still.

• Love 3

You know, sometimes I forget that there was a lockout & that the season was pushed back a week.  Still the MLB postseason structure shouldn't change too much just because they made the wildcard round a best of 3.

While Manfred & MLB have the final say, here's what I'd do in 2023:

Wild Card Game 1: Tuesday 10/03/2023,

WC Games 2 and 3: Wednesday 10/04/2023 as a Double Header

League Division Series Can Start on Friday, 10/06/2023

OR, if they'd rather not air the NL & AL stuff simultaneously with 2 games per league

NL Wild Card Game 1: Tuesday 10/03/2023,

NL WC Games 2 and 3: Wednesday 10/04/2023 as a Double Header

NLDS Can Start on Friday, 10/06/2023

AL Wild Card Game 1: Wednesday 10/04/2023,

AL WC Games 2 and 3: Wednesday 10/05/2023 as a Double Header

ALDS Can Start on Saturday, 10/07/2023

It's still a long layoff for the two teams but not much different than the All Star break.  Another solution would be to do away with the off day for the wildcard winners; I don't think they could start on the Monday after the season ends (no thanks to a Game 163).

The ALCS &  NLCS should occur around the same time it did in 2017; the World Series should take place between 10/24/2023 - 11/01/2023

Edited by Carey
Tags
4 hours ago, cleo said:

I really wish they would cut the regular season a bit, like even just to 152. It would give them some days for rain outs, and they could plan a better post season schedule.

They need to stop having 27 rounds of post-season games.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I read the season ends on Oct 5, wildcard starts on Oct 7, and divisional series start on Oct 11.  So, 6 days off is not too bad for the bye teams, they will be able to set their pitching rotations accordingly. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Carey said:

Think they should go back to the top 2 teams per league?

YES. Not that Bottom Line Bob's Pirates would ever be one of those,  but still.

Edited by Colleenna
Additional thought
5 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I caught #62 just in time! I was looking at ESPN.com at the right time and flipped to YES.

Not yet…that was 61.

Boonie can sit him for the rest of the night so he can try for 62 at home, that would be fine.  Especially because Michael said this is Aaron’s like 45th straight game.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Hi everyone!  I’m Petty, nice to meet you.

There’s one record, and there’s also the clean record.  IMO.

I agree - if Judge hits 62, he should be the home run record holder. The cheating scumbags should not get the record.

• Applause 5
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:
32 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Hi everyone!  I’m Petty, nice to meet you.

There’s one record, and there’s also the clean record.  IMO.

I agree - if Judge hits 62, he should be the home run record holder. The cheating scumbags should not get the record.

Agree to disagree.  Maybe if Major League Baseball did a better job at squashing the "cheaters" in advance then no one's having this conversation.  Instead, it was better for MLB and for as much $$$$, revenue, whatever to take advantage of great television in 1998, 2001, and 2007.  There's also no confirmation or speculation that Aaron is cheating either.

By the way, I am not saying that Judge is using.  I hope not.  It's just a slippery slope overall.  People will argue that Babe Ruth and maybe to a lesser extent, Roger Maris didn't play with the top notch (or just better) players during their time.  People will argue that they "didn't test those guys" back when.

At the end of the day, for me, I can respect Aaron Judge as the best HR hitter, but I'm not going to look at him as the best person within the season.  Unless he can go yard 13 more times by next week, MLB will not place him as the record-holder.  I doubt they'll say Barry will now take a back seat to the Judge.  It'll be like not looking at the New England Patriots as being the best dynasty in the history of the NFL.  Both are questionable but it is what it is.  BTW, I'd have a drink with Judge before or just in place of one with Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa.

Aaron Judge will have the record with his next home run.  He'll be the new AL leader outright

• Like 1
  • Love 1