Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

The Yankees have absolutely no regard for pitcher Shohei Ohtani.

Not sure how I feel about The Ohtani Rule.  If you are going to have your pitcher bat, and your pitcher is chased out of the game early, and you lose your DH, well too bad.  

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

You know what gets me is all these baseball pundits are completely enamored by a player that hits and pitches, and yet most of them also hated the NL style of play. Like pick a lane. 

And now I'm starting to hear them wax philosophical about how well this or that pitcher might hit or did hit and I'm like y'all have been bitching for years about pitchers hitting. And expanded the DH. So what do you want?

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

So what did Joe Girardi do?  (Or not do, as the case may be)

He's not great.. Made some truly terrible bullpen decisions. 

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Well, the Phillies are 22-29…

Exactly

• Love 1
On 6/2/2022 at 8:48 PM, theatremouse said:

I want the DH gone from both leagues but accept that battle is lost.

I'm  conflicted.  The DH takes a lot of the strategy out of the game,  but it also reduces the likelihood of losing a pitcher for an extended period because he got hit on his pitching  hand/wrist/elbow while batting. But that's really unlikely,  so on balance, I want the DH gone. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I can't really argue with much of that list.  Although I don't think Angels stadium should be that low - I'd definitely put it ahead of Cincinnati and a few others.  I haven't been to the new parks in San Diego or St Louis and I won't be going to Atlanta (unless I get in for free).   I'd like to go back to Kansas City since, even though it' the same building, it's allegedly been totally renovated inside since 1998.  

I do love PNC Park. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

That article is 1000% correct! (Says the Pirates fan.)

Although the cheap ass owner got rid of one of its most distinguishing features this season. The right field ("Clemente") wall used to be a video out of town scoreboard that was one of the best in the league. Now it's advertising. Blah.

On a brighter note, I watched them play yesterday. School is out, it was a day game and there were a lot of kids in attendance. The team gave out certificates to kids who were attending a game for the first time, which they proudly brandished anytime a camera was near. Seeing them have fun watching the game actually softened my cynical, long time Pirates fan heart, a little, for a while.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Today’s Yankees game is on the Peacock app and I AM DONE WITH STREAMING.

And I had to PAY for it what the FRAK.

It would be one thing if they had chosen ONE streaming service to experiment with, but three?  Each time a Yankee fan (who has probably paid extra for effing YES in the first place) has to research each separate streaming service, see if there’s a fee, see if their tech will work with it, etc. etc. etc.  And this for a sport that has as its model being able to count on sitting down at the end of the day and watching the ballgame without drama.  Stupid.  And incredibly annoying.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

I have Apple TV and Amazon Prime, but I refuse to get Peacock.  I listened to it on the MLB app instead.

And I listened to it on Audacy (free broadcast to local market).  F you, Yankee Ownership!  Grrrrr.

• Sad 2

Fun with the Padres' feed closed captioning:

Just before the game, umpires explaining "the grumbles" to Buck Showalter (ground rules)

The Mets catcher has been repeatedly called Tomas "Neato" (Nido)

I can tell I'm exhausted because normally this would not amuse me, but I'm cracking up like a baby who just saw someone wink for the first time.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 5/31/2022 at 10:05 PM, xaxat said:

I really like Shohei as a baseball player, but until he dominates SEC football I'm going with Bo as the better athlete. 

Now that I'd like to see. Has Deion Sanders commented? 😁

• LOL 2

I might have made more off of a bet that Both Girardi & Maddon would be gone before July than the combined total of what's owed to them (except no I would not have. Even with max parlay bet, it's Major League Baseball)

Great time for the Mets to pull into Anaheim. Imagine Syndergaard going up to Buck. "I made a mistake. Please take me back. Whatever it takes. I talked to Mike and Shohei, and they want in as well. They've been to Disneyland enough times, and they want to take their services to Flushing."

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Snerk.  Mike and Shohei HAD their chance to come to New York, and for whatever reason, they both CHOSE Anaheim.

I can't recall if and what their chances of making it to the NL LA squad, but if there was a case made, while I'm sorry to "disrespect" the AL version (close enough), that's worse than turning down New York.  Both the Mets and even the Yankees

Not sure I'm interpreting correctly, but if you mean the Dodgers- Ohtani at least could likely have gone there. Dodgers were among the teams that met with him and tried to make a case for LA. 

I thought it was a dumb decision at the time (to go to Anaheim) but he seemed happy with it, just like Trout. 

Even though there's a ton of travel elsewhere during the season, the pattern seems to show that reducing extra flight duration and time difference home is high priority. So having > 50% of games on this end of the country at least seems to be a major factor. Obviously, individuals are individuals, but the trend with Japanese players seems to favor west coast teams.

Plus when Ohtani started there was no DH in the NL.

• Useful 1

Yeah it was always going to be west coast, I think he basically said that. I couldn't get over him choosing Anaheim over LA though. I get Trout called him.personally yada yada but the ongoing playoff drout was pretty obvious. 

I don't know a lot about the culture of the 2 teams but at a glance LA seems better from a player perspective. They seem to invest in players.and winning more. To their detriment sometimes > Bauer was a huge mistake that was pretty obvious if they cared.

Ever see those cartoons where the character’s jaw drops and then rolls up like an accordion?  That’s what mine is doing right now watching this travesty from Gerrit Cole.  

I would throw my TV right in the trash but my phone would keep on bothering me with dire notifications.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)
14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ever see those cartoons where the character’s jaw drops and then rolls up like an accordion?  That’s what mine is doing right now watching this travesty from Gerrit Cole.  

I would throw my TV right in the trash but my phone would keep on bothering me with dire notifications.

*looking up ESPN.com*

Dang. Back-to-back-to-BACK home runs.  Brutal!

Edited by Lantern7

Angels broke their losing streak, so the pressure is off the Mets to not lose. Bad news: Syndergaard is getting pushed back, so he won’t pitch this weekend. Also, Ohtani pitched last night, so he’ll only be hitting.

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Angels broke their losing streak, so the pressure is off the Mets to not lose. Bad news: Syndergaard is getting pushed back, so he won’t pitch this weekend. Also, Ohtani pitched last night, so he’ll only be hitting.

Mets should have no problems sweeping. The Angels are awful, and their pitching is worse.

12 hours ago, twoods said:

Mets should have no problems sweeping. The Angels are awful, and their pitching is worse.

You want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing?

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Oakland has a morning start at 11:35 AM Eastern.

That's 8:35 Pacific.

I don't understand the start time, but at least the game is in Cleveland. It's not like the 12 people who would go to the game if it were in Oakland have to get up really early. 😉

• LOL 4
18 hours ago, xaxat said:

I wasn't concerned about the fans, I was thinking about the players. When do the A's start their pre-game routine? 7 AM body clock time?

It’s a problem for all the teams on this crazy Peacock deal. Each Sunday they’ve got a game starting at 11:35 Eastern time - don’t know if they’re all in the east. Last week it was the Yankees and the announcers said Aaron Boone just shrugged his shoulders on what the pre-game routine would be.

• Useful 2

If the home team’s lead off hitter bats twice in the first inning, it’s going to be a long day.

13 years ago on this date A-Rod popped up to Castillo, and the Yankees thought they lost a game.

• Love 1