Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Aw thanks! I seem to be inept at finding good avatars I like but I somehow stumbled over that one. Can't even remember where. But yep it's my favourite. 

• Love 4

Ohtani doesn’t think play for my team so pffft.  Who cares?

I’m sure every time some media wag gushes breathlessly about the power of Judge and Stanton (as they should) non-Yankees fans roll their collective eyes hard enough the earth tilts just a little bit more on its axis.

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Just read that Scherzer will be out 6-8 weeks. Any timetable on DeGrom returning? 

I think they've pushed it to mid-June.  At least that is what I think they were saying on SNY (via MLB Network)

• Useful 1

For the Yankees, Luis Gil went down with arm issues in the minor leagues last night and Chad Green left today’s game after pitching wretchedly (booooo @ebk57 booooooooo) with forearm tightness and it’s getting scary for pitchers out there.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

The last thing I heard was best case scenario deGrom is mid-June. So...yeah this sucks.

I was just listening to MLB Network and they just said deGrom an Max ate expected back after the all star break.

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

For the Yankees, Luis Gil went down with arm issues in the minor leagues last night and Chad Green left today’s game after pitching wretchedly (booooo @ebk57 booooooooo) with forearm tightness and it’s getting scary for pitchers out there.

I can't believe you're begrudging me one afternoon of happiness! 😄  I was listening at work on the XM app, which is at least an entire half inning behind real life.  And my phone alerts went off...but I didn't look.  Just so I could enjoy the end!  And I did!!

• Love 3

Well . . . better now than later?

For when I'm looking back, probably in sorrow: right now, the Mets are 26-14, seven games up on Atlanta. Today, Pete Alonso bailed out Edwin Diaz with a walk-off homer in the tenth inning against the Cardinals. I'm hoping for the best, but I am now expecting at least three position players to get hit with pitches and see their season (if not their careers) ended.

Speaking of extra innings . . . since the advent of the ghost/free runner, do you guys know if there's been any occurrence where one team made three outs after sending two batters to the plate?

If anyone in the greater Baltimore-DC area wants to go to the Os game Sunday afternoon, I have 4 tickets and great parking.  Let me know and they're yours for the low, low price of nothing!  Because what better way is there to spend a hot Sunday afternoon??

(I'm not selling that very well, am I...)

• Love 4

In the past week, Pirate games have been carried on YouTube, Apple+ and Peacock. That's probably more national games than they have been featured on over the last three years.

• Love 2

Eh, the PR manager is probably smart enough to realize that everything is gone after a couple of days.  Fans throwing stuff on the field?  Completely forgotten by the public at large.  Josh Donaldson running off his mouth and possibly being a racist asshole?  Yankees fans will defend him against everything if he plays well, and if he sucks then they're going to care a lot more about his poor performance than anything he says/thinks.

• Love 3

How many media outlets is MLB broadcasting games? Off the top of my head,

MLB Network

ESPN, ESPN+(ABC?)

Fox (FS1?)

Amazon Prime

Apple TV+

YouTube

TBS (or is it TNT? Both?)

Peacock (NBC?)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

How many media outlets is MLB broadcasting games? Off the top of my head,

MLB Network

ESPN, ESPN+(ABC?)

Fox (FS1?)

Amazon Prime

Apple TV+

YouTube

TBS (or is it TNT? Both?)

Peacock (NBC?)

Facebook sometimes? 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
6 hours ago, QueerGirrl said:

That's how you answer assholes and their trash fans. Go Go White Sox!

2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I can't believe Yankee fans booed Tim Anderson. I have no words.

12 minutes ago, twoods said:

Just saw his HR after all those boos. Awesome.  Some fans are so classless.

I kindasorta wish it was winter. I could wrap those comments around my body and feel so warm.

• Love 6

For the record I think TA is super fun and very very fine to look at and I would never boo him.  Red Sox and Astros, yes.  Tim for getting angry at something that was offensive to him?  Fuck no.

• Love 7

Has anyone watched any of the Apple games? I'm not, they can kiss my ass. But I'm curious of people liked the broadcast, bc I assume it's different announcers.

So it's free but you have to create an Apple ID if you don't have one.

I assume Apple is trying to figure out how many people are interested in watching so they can see of its worth pursuing as a fee based stream. 

And of course Manfred and the owners DGAF as long as they get paid.

I'm so glad I cancelled MLB TV. I would be steamed if I had paid for that and it was blacked out.

• Love 3

I haven't yet but we just got a free 4-month trial of AppleTV from...something. I don't remember. So I probably will watch at least one sometime soon. If we didn't have the trial I'd probably never have touched AppleTV anything.

• Love 3

Tbh in spite of my complaining I would've maybe considered it but they chose a west coast game and usually I DVR those bc I just can't stay awake that late. But with the streaming you can't do that. 

Oh well time to get caught up on my other shows.

• Love 2

My team is on AppleTV tonight.  I'm trying to decide whether to sign in (I don't own a single Apple produce, but I did have an iTunes account and the website says that should work).  I'll probably get the 4 free months from Target so I can watch Ted Lasso and Smigadoon.  Probably.

• Love 2

I cannot stress this enough … Tony LaRussa’s opinion of how Gabe Kapler is protesting means less than jack shit.  Once again, some more, someone is being completely obtuse about the damn anthem.

• Love 13
43 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I cannot stress this enough … Tony LaRussa’s opinion of how Gabe Kapler is protesting means less than jack shit.  Once again, some more, someone is being completely obtuse about the damn anthem.

One infinity percent this.

In related news, I didn't think Gabe Kapler could get any hotter.  I was so, so, so wrong.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Tony LaRussa needs to sit down and shut up. That is all.

• Applause 1
  • Love 12
49 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

One infinity percent this.

In related news, I didn't think Gabe Kapler could get any hotter.  I was so, so, so wrong.

I've had a lot of respect for Gabe Kapler ever since he wrote an op-ed about the hypocrisy of his former teammate/convicted child molester Chad Curtis. Mr. Kapler walks the walk.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

I've had a lot of respect for Gabe Kapler ever since he wrote an op-ed about the hypocrisy of his former teammate/convicted child molester Chad Curtis. Mr. Kapler walks the walk.

Out of curiosity, I looked it up, and apparently Curtis was paroled in 2020.  IMHO, he should never again walk the earth as a free man.

Can somebody organize a search party for the Yankees’ offense?

12 hours ago, smittykins said:

Out of curiosity, I looked it up, and apparently Curtis was paroled in 2020.  IMHO, he should never again walk the earth as a free man.

I know, and I agree. Still...given how rare it is that people like him are convicted, the fact that he served seven years is truly something. He'll never be able to get that stench off.

For those of us who loved those glorious Cleveland teams in the mid-90s, see if this makes you feel old. Manny Ramirez turns 50 today!! 😮

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

For those of us who loved those glorious Cleveland teams in the mid-90s, see if this makes you feel old. Manny Ramirez turns 50 today!! 😮

Those were the days, my friend....

Some amazing times at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario,

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Those were the days, my friend....

Some amazing times at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario,

I'm telling ya...

If someone had told me then that one position player of that era would one day be in the HOF, I without a doubt would have believed it would be Manny. But he really lost his way at some point, while players like Jim Thome stayed the course.

I don't even know what Manny is doing these days; he seems to have gone off the radar. Last I heard, he was living in Florida (per ESPN).

Maybe Cone subscribes to the idea that the better a player is, the better an athlete he is?  Because Jackson was clearly the superior athlete while Ohtani is clearly the better baseball player unless all you care about is outfield defense and speed.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I know today is Lou Gehrig Day, but it’s also Armando Galarraga Day!  12 years ago on this date.

I will never forget the sad look on his face.

I have a friend who wishes me "Happy Todd Van Poppel Day" every year. This is in memory of the worst ever starting pitching effort we both had the pleasure of watching in person. I believe it was 1995.  Here are the details of the bottom of the first inning that day:

image.thumb.png.68a9fee48f0ff121ab84d85f3fbeb930.png

The Grand Slam after the four straight walks... 

Chefs Kiss GIF by Padma Lakshmi

• LOL 2
  • Love 2