Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

23 minutes ago, mojoween said:

One sports regret I will always have is never having been at Yankee Stadium to see the bullpen doors open and hear the first notes of “Enter Sandman.”

I got to hear "Hell's Bells" at Qualcomm Stadium in 2000. Everyone went nuts for Trevor Hoffman, and "IT'S TREVOR TIME" flashed on the scoreboard. I honestly think that song can compete with "Enter Sandman" as goosebump-inducing reliever music.

• Love 1

Sometimes walkup music can have the opposite effect if the reliever is crap. AC/DC's Thunderstruck now gives me feelings of dread because it was Ken Giles's song. Presumably still is, but he's now the Blue Jays problem, I don't have to hear it anymore.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I got to hear "Hell's Bells" at Qualcomm Stadium in 2000. Everyone went nuts for Trevor Hoffman, and "IT'S TREVOR TIME" flashed on the scoreboard. I honestly think that song can compete with "Enter Sandman" as goosebump-inducing reliever music.

Fun fact: Trevor Time is the only context in which I have ever heard that song.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I mean obvs I'm going to always put Mo number one, but I can absolutely see how hearing those bells would be awesome and get the crowd fired up.

• Love 1

RE:  Reliever entry music-

First time I'm at Phils game when Jonathan Papelbon is brought in from the bullpen and Meek Mil's Bout That Life starts blaring.  I'm like, "Whaaaa?!  Meek Mil?!"  Turns out, he liked that song because it has a Ric Flair intro but it still never fails to crack me up thinking about it.

• Love 1

Red Sox hammered a five-run tenth inning to win over the Blue Jays. The Jays relief pitcher? Ken Giles. Pretty much illustrates why the Astros decided to take their chances with Osuna.

It's not that I'm a fan of errors but I do confess to loving a little league home run whenever they do happen.....

Maybe Giles should go back to the Phils?

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, bosawks said:

Maybe Giles should go back to the Phils?

They're in their own pennant race, I bet they don't want him either. Maybe Giles should think about a career change? Juggler, perhaps?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

No one else would take him, why would the Mets?  Better off without him.

What is his problem? This was what I saw: “I rang every doorbell but one!” “Fuck, don’t tell me . . . “ “The Mets!” “Of course you wouldn’t. Who would?”

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

deGrom gets the W today. FINALLY. Not that I don't think W is an overrated pitching stat, but it was starting to get ridiculous how little run support he got. Painful to watch. So today was delightful.

I forgot to check in. Maybe he’ll be dealt in a few days. “We were always going to trade him, but we wanted his last memory as a Met to be a win with plenty of offensive support.”

• Love 2

I'm just speculating but while not wanting to play for the Mets because they are they Mets is hilarious i think it has more to do with one of the coaches for the Mets namely former Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. I read other parts of the interview and it did not seem like he thought to highly of him.

https://www.philliesnation.com/2018/08/jayson-werth-criticizes-ruben-amaros-handling-of-him-cliff-lee/

Edited by shoregirl
On 8/6/2018 at 9:23 PM, smittykins said:

Ok, am I the only Yankees fan who still considers 36 to be Coney’s number?

In watching some AAA Yankees on the Path to Pinstripes on YES I found it strange how the players actually wear the retired numbers of the big club. I understand how they would be but it just feels as if the numbers should be retired throughout the entire organization. Justsayin'.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I was hoping that Walker Beuhler would go with ANYONE BEUHLER. And I was disappointed that Aaron Judge didn’t go with ALL RISE again.

I myself thought SAVE FERRIS would've been better.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

@ebk57 Adam Jones tweeted today “end of an era!” and at first I was startled, but it doesn’t look like HE’S going anywhere, so as my relative O’s fanatic, do you know what he means?  I’m nosy.

Apparently, he's moving to Right Field for the first time in his 11 years with Baltimore, to make room for Cedric Mullins, who was called up from Triple-A today.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-cedric-mullins-debut-20180810-story.html

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1

Same here. If Beltre doesn’t get into the Hall of Fame, it would be a crime. And you all know how much I hate the Rangers. And in all honesty, he should get in on the weird head rubbing hilarity alone. 

96893870-6E2A-49A7-B4B5-C848FDA7CE33.gif.297bd508be4390782149d1047d9630af.gif

• Love 3

Astros had an alumni homerun derby before yesterday's game.

Was awesome to see Craig Biggio swinging the bat at Minute Maid Park again. He didn't win, Luke Scott won -- who, by the way, was hitting them really far. He hit at least half a dozen of them into the mezzanine seats, one of them up there into straightaway center. And one he hit off the scoreboard, which is ABOVE the mezzanine seats.

I totally forgot Keith was doing the game tonight - one I'd never bother to watch normally :-)

I just turned it on and now I'm sorry I missed the rest of it.

ETA:  Timmay is an added bonus!!  And Mr. Perez was fun, too.  I must remember to tune in the next game they do.

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 1

According to Puig, Hundley provoked the altercation. Yasiel should have controlled his temper better, but he has a reputation as a player who leads with his emotions, which I'm sure Hundley was well aware of, and exploited. Witness the fact that last night, when Posey was behind the plate, with MadBum on the mound, nothing even came close to exploding. And Puig and MadBum have a history, well-fueled by Bumgarner's psychosis. Hundley wasn't innocent, and I'm pretty sure both players will get to enjoy some time off. 

• Love 1

There’s no need for Hundley to also get suspended. Regardless of acting worse than a little boy, Puig is in fact, a grown man. Him reacting badly (as usual) to another player putting him in his place is completely on him. He just wants to blame everyone else for his antics and I’m pretty sure even his own teammates are over it.

ETA: Also, lol at “psychosis”. What now?

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Regardless of acting worse than a little boy, Puig is in fact, a grown man. Him reacting badly (as usual) to another player putting him in his place is completely on him. He just wants to blame everyone else for his antics and I’m pretty sure even his own teammates are over it.

Puig may find himself with a one-way ticket to another team. Piss off your manager and teammates, see where that gets you. Ask Ken Giles. Or Carlos Gomez.

• Love 2