Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Just now, mojoween said:

Were you next to Marlins Man?

Marlins Man wasn't there tonight.  I was not in the really expensive section that's directly behind the place.  I was in the third row of the "regular" seats behind the luxury seats.  Tomorrow's seat isn't quite as good - behind the third base dugout, but almost at the back of the section.  

We did have a Stanton home run tonight, so I got to see the thing in center field do its thing.  And Ichiro pinch hit.  And since I didn't care who won, a fun time was had by me!

• Love 2

Todd Frazier is going to see that picture of himself standing next to Derek Jeter for a solid month.

I guess since they dumped a Tyler they had to replace him with a Frazier.  And what kind of smoke and mirrors did Cashman use with the Sox to get them to take Clippard?  Because I am sure he is a fine fellow but he can't pitch.

• Love 1

Carlos should be careful.  Last year the Tribe sacrificed a rotisserie chicken to Jobu on Yan Gomes' behalf after a batting slump, and he had a season-ending shoulder injury the next game.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Crs97 said:

Carlos should be careful.  Last year the Tribe sacrificed a rotisserie chicken to Jobu on Yan Gomes' behalf after a batting slump, and he had a season-ending shoulder injury the next game.

What? Have they ever watched the movie? 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

They should've got the live chicken.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Marlins Man wasn't there tonight.  I was not in the really expensive section that's directly behind the place.  I was in the third row of the "regular" seats behind the luxury seats.  Tomorrow's seat isn't quite as good - behind the third base dugout, but almost at the back of the section.  

We did have a Stanton home run tonight, so I got to see the thing in center field do its thing.  And Ichiro pinch hit.  And since I didn't care who won, a fun time was had by me!

So you were ar both games the Phillies won? Any chance you want to follow them around the rest of the season ??

• Love 2
3 hours ago, shoregirl said:

So you were ar both games the Phillies won? Any chance you want to follow them around the rest of the season ??

Not a chance, but thanks for asking :-)

Today was kids day at the Park.  If it hadn't been kids day, there would have been about 50 people there.  It's a shame...

• Love 1

I think they've lost their minds and have become delusional. And they need to get rid of the extra Panda hats in storage. I hope Bobby Evans gets fired. The FO's decision-making since after last year's All-Star game and especially this year, has been atrocious, just horrible!! And I will always be bitter about the Duffy trade. 

• Love 2

Had a lovely evening passing the rain-delay time with @kariyaki tonight.  Thanks again for the frosty adult beverage!  I hope you and the group have a safe trip back home tomorrow.

The less said about the game, the better (my goodness, I've typed that sentence a lot lately.  Blech...)

• Love 5

Baseball vampire Bartolo Colon faced Cody Bellinger last night, Cody popped out on a fly ball.  In September 2000, Colon pitched to Clay Bellinger, Cody's freaking father.  That is crazy.

• Love 8
On 7/22/2017 at 7:16 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I hope Pablo flounders embarrassingly in the minors. I hold grudges. His fake apology written by his PR department means nothing to me. 

I'm the opposite. I hope he rakes and that the entire Boston adventure is forgotten. Pablo was part of way too many good things for the Giants to stay mad at how he answered a question about something we shouldn't even care that much about. 

(edited)

I find him to be way too immature for a 30 year old in a professional sport. To say he only cared about Bochy and Pence upon leaving was just bad form. He has a lot to prove, and he needs to keep his weight in check. 2014 Pablo will always be a fond memory, but how you leave a team says a lot about who you are. These guys get paid way too much for me to feel bad about not giving them second chances if they leave on an ugly note caused by their own doing. 

On a slightly related note, speaking of Boston, Eduardo Nuñez left the game tonight and those hugs he got from his teammates tonight seem to indicate he may have very well been traded to the Red Sox. Now I'm realizing I'll miss the guy a little bit. But mostly because I'll miss seeing his helmet fly off his head 90% of the time. I hope that doesn't change. :)

ETA: And Pablo supposedly sold the 2014 pop-up ball that ended the series. He should have given that ball to MadBum, at least. He refuses to admit what he did with it. Bummer.

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 1

The Brewers are killing me. AllStar-Curse strikes again...they're only a half game up over the Cubbies. And of course my Cub friends are being insufferable, its like the whole beginning of the season doesnt exist because the Cubbies are right on our tails....

Right there with you, @SnoGirl, only I'm with the Mariners.  They had a great start to the second half, but as soon as they get to .500, they go on a three-game losing streak.  They've been at .500 seven different times this season and the same thing.  I'm so used to being able to give up on them my mid July... 

• Love 1

SnoGirl, I am a Cubs fan, but I think that its terrible that the Brewers get no respect in the league.  They are the Rodney Dangerfield of baseball.  If my Cubs don't make it to the playoffs, I will be rooting for the Brewers.  I love to root for underdogs and, until last year, the Cubs were the perpetual underdogs.  Let's agree to root AGAINST the Dodgers and the Yankees!

• Love 1

Oh, don't get me started. The Astros are hell and gone in front of the rest of the American League and what do the sportscasters talk about? The Yankees. Constantly. And I hate when they decide to do a national broadcast because it means I have to watch a game and listen to them talk about the OTHER team for the whole game. Doesn't matter who they're playing. I love our local coverage guys.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I find him to be way too immature for a 30 year old in a professional sport. To say he only cared about Bochy and Pence upon leaving was just bad form. He has a lot to prove, and he needs to keep his weight in check. 2014 Pablo will always be a fond memory, but how you leave a team says a lot about who you are. These guys get paid way too much for me to feel bad about not giving them second chances if they leave on an ugly note caused by their own doing. 

On a slightly related note, speaking of Boston, Eduardo Nuñez left the game tonight and those hugs he got from his teammates tonight seem to indicate he may have very well been traded to the Red Sox. Now I'm realizing I'll miss the guy a little bit. But mostly because I'll miss seeing his helmet fly off his head 90% of the time. I hope that doesn't change. :)

ETA: And he supposedly sold the 2014 pop-up ball that ended the series. He should have given that ball to MadBum, at least. He refuses to admit what he did with it. Bummer.

Nunez' cap always did that when he was a Yankee. I always liked him and he is a good hitter, but I am NOT happy he's a BoSox guy now.

16 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

ETA: And he supposedly sold the 2014 pop-up ball that ended the series. He should have given that ball to MadBum, at least. He refuses to admit what he did with it. Bummer.

Nunez' cap always did that when he was a Yankee. I always liked him and he is a good hitter, but I am NOT happy he's a BoSox guy now.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Is that a new ballpark in Arlington? Wow, I don't think enough people in the area knew the game was happening.

It's a 100 degrees in the shade this time of year and there's no roof on the stadium. They knew.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, kariyaki said:

It's a 100 degrees in the shade this time of year and there's no roof on the stadium. They knew.

Did not think of that. I see that you're a fan of a Texas-based team, so you probably know what you're talking about. Also, I'm guessing that the Rangers are working on a new stadium with a retractable roof and plenty of A/C. Not really inclined on going to Arlington. I did hear that they sell turkey legs, so that might be fun.

28 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm guessing that the Rangers are working on a new stadium with a retractable roof and plenty of A/C.

Supposedly scheduled to open in 2020.

Outside of being a player, is there any better job in MLB than the person who verifies memorabilia? All you have to do is recognize what rookies are playing (first hit, first K etc.) upcoming milestones (100 HR, 1000 K) write down some notes, slap a sticker on the item when something happens and you can go back to watching the game from those sweet seats near the dugout.

But you probably can't have a beer. That's a significant downside.

• Love 1

Watching the Yankees/Rays game (no Astros tonight). I would appreciate the tightness of Chris Archer's pants if his butt weren't so flat [/shallow]. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Great place for Lucas . . . Rays are vying for the postseason, and if he fucks up? Nobody will care at all.

Can he fuck up any worse than that throw in the 2015 World Series?  Probably not.

(edited)

Gardy woo!  I appreciate him doing the good thing when I stay up late to watch.

*gasp* someone broke Aaron Judge's face I hope he's ok.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Can he fuck up any worse than that throw in the 2015 World Series?  Probably not.

Yeah . . . but Tampa/St. Pete. If the Rays win the World Series, they wouldn't have to throw a parade. They could find their fans and thank them individually, and they'd be done in about four hours.

Checking the Mets' promo schedule. Nothing planned centering on Lucas. There are two for Cespedes in August: a "52" chain and a bobblehead. So you can expect him to break his leg getting his spike caught in the grass by the middle of next week. In other news, I saw the Mets drew a big crowd on Saturday for their Noah Syndergaard-as-Marvel-Thor bobblehead. I gave up thinking of attending that when he went down. It just seems cruel for the faithful to get.

ETA: Saw the clip of Aaron Judge losing his tooth. During a walkoff celebration. Am I a jerk for wanting to insert "#YankeesProblems" to that?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

There are two for Cespedes in August: a "52" chain and a bobblehead. So you can expect him to break his leg getting his spike caught in the grass by the middle of next week.

His bobblehead should have him grabbing his hamstring as he pulls up lame on a play.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/26/2017 at 0:11 PM, navelgazer said:

Right there with you, @SnoGirl, only I'm with the Mariners.  They had a great start to the second half, but as soon as they get to .500, they go on a three-game losing streak.  They've been at .500 seven different times this season and the same thing.  I'm so used to being able to give up on them my mid July... 

Ugh, tell me about it. If wishes were homeruns, our teams would never get below .500....?

On 7/26/2017 at 2:40 PM, basiltherat said:

SnoGirl, I am a Cubs fan, but I think that its terrible that the Brewers get no respect in the league.  They are the Rodney Dangerfield of baseball.  If my Cubs don't make it to the playoffs, I will be rooting for the Brewers.  I love to root for underdogs and, until last year, the Cubs were the perpetual underdogs.  Let's agree to root AGAINST the Dodgers and the Yankees!

I think Braun really ruined our reputation around the league. I LOATHE him so much for it...poor Thames living in his legacy of cheating by having to get drug tested every single time he has an amazing game. I cannot cheer for him, I always find something to do when he's up to bat. I cant wait until he's gone, such a cheater. 

Im right there with you cheering for the underdogs and against the Dodgers and Yankees. I also loudly cheer against the Cards. Man, I hate them. I did cheer for the Cubs during the playoffs. Everyone loves a good curse-breaking series run. But dont tell my Cub friends that, to them I bleed blue and gold.

On 7/26/2017 at 3:29 PM, kariyaki said:

Oh, don't get me started. The Astros are hell and gone in front of the rest of the American League and what do the sportscasters talk about? The Yankees. Constantly. And I hate when they decide to do a national broadcast because it means I have to watch a game and listen to them talk about the OTHER team for the whole game. Doesn't matter who they're playing. I love our local coverage guys.

I hate the Yankees. They ruin everything for the smaller clubhouses. 

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 2
On 7/26/2017 at 4:29 PM, kariyaki said:

Think of it this way . . . when the Astros sweep the Yankees in the ALCS and Aaron Judge hits .175 with no dingers, it will feel that much sweeter. The Astros haven't won a title in over fifty years, and maybe some love should be showed . . . even if the team looked the other way when Mike Scott scuffed balls, got a Cy Young, and almost single-handedly took the Mets out in 1986.

That hit to Ray was super scary.

You know, you can call me a homer if you want to (go ahead, I'll wait...)

but isn't it good if the Yankees are good?  Because the more people who watch them and visit the park means the more money they earn which means more money goes back to the league?  Or am I not understanding how that works?

• Love 1
(edited)

All that blood did not look good. I hope he didn't get a skull fracture or epidural hematoma. I'm surprised that after all these years, pitchers aren't wearing helmets. Hope he's ok. 

Mojoween....uhhh no. Try again. ? All is good in my world if the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers are losing. Which means my world is not looking so hot...

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4

I find it charming that Curtis Granderson owns the Wefollowlucasduda Instagram account. And, according to the Y booth last night, the Rays are negotiating to acquire it from Curtis.So much bro-love!

Although I never considered CG my Baseball Boyfriend, I often consider him a Baseball Gentleman Caller. ?

• Love 2